weekly Posiview's TP52 for 2014 Week 52 Support added and FINISHED :)

Fab way to round off your 52 for 2014 Andy....cracking shot of Jackie :clap:

Hope you're all having a great Christmas....recharging your batteries to do it all over again in 2015 :woot:

Great portrait to end on Andy, no fancy frills, just a simple calm shot, with lovely eye contact and catch lights.

Like the simple background and the close crop too.

Once again, you must be applauded for your enthusiasm and effort in the 52's section. Also, your mature and positive reaction to negative critique is to be proud of, makes it much easier to be honest with you.

Best of luck for 2015, :)

Hi Andy

Nonsense - difficult theme but you have come up with a god idea. Eitehr text suits for me and i do like the hard contrast with the b&w on top and the 'greyer' lower part. perfect crossed eyes too - such talent:).

extravagant - some crisp images there but i am not too keen on the variation between the shots - i would have preferred to have seen them all as crisp and lit as the first. Grungy border suggested by Allan @alsjazzera does seem a good idea, although i like your choice anyway,.

Support - a very touching and sympathetic shot for the theme and so very apt.

Happy New year

Hi Andy, well done for finishing...again (y) nice picture to end on too

Good luck with 2015

Well done to you AND Jackie for finishing the year - a great idea for the theme :clap:

Congratulations on reaching 52 Andy

What a neat idea ... and a masterly portrait.

Hiya Andy - a great (and very well modelled!) final shot for this year's 52.

All of your technicals are, as usual, spot on. You asked for views on lighting and I'll prefix what I'm about to say with the obvious fact that I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I have been mucking around with single/dual flash for a bit and I'm starting to work out a bit more about it. So now I know maybe 0.1% of what I need, rather than 0% :)

1. L/R flashes - this is a fairly common setup, especially with a 2:1 power ratio... but, it's actually quite "unnatural" when you think about it. When do you ever see 90 degree split lighting occurring naturally, save for reflections off water/sky (and then it's a vertical 90 degrees rather than horizontal as you and most other people have it). I read a suggestion from someone else on here (who knows far more than me about such things) that if you want to use a fill with an off camera key which is to the side (e.g. 45 degrees say), you're better off using on-axis fill, i.e. hotshoe mounted or even bounce fill off the ceiling, but importantly from a light source directly in line, horizontally, with the camera. Otherwise you can end up with competing shadows which, again, can look unnatural. The exception to this seems to be fashion portraits which quite often have big light sources left and right, sometimes equal or nearly equal intensity... but I think that's more about flooding the subject with very soft light from all angles to fill pores and can leave the subject looking very flat/plastic as there's no definition left (which is the idea!)

2. Size of light source - I realise this might be more to do with what modifiers you had available to you, as the catchlight which appears to correspond to your flash camera right looks like a rectangular softbox... that's ideal. However, the catchlight corresponding to flash camera left looks very small and it's this small lightsource which is perhaps contributing to the relative harshness of that fill? It will mean (I think) that glossy highlights (sadly our skin is glossy without serious amounts of makeup) look a bit more pronounced than they would with bigger lights which illuminate the micro textures of the face more evenly. This shows up as shinier "crests" (think waves) under and around the right eye and right of the tip of the nose...

You did ask ;)

However, have said all of that - it's pretty minor - and the lighting you have is still very complementary and your posing of Mrs Posiview is brilliant. I love the look she's giving the camera and obviously the Help for Heroes top is also on theme as well, so a double score there!

Best of all, you've submitted yet another great photo to wrap up your superb 52 for this year, which deserves a massive well done! :banana::clap:

Can't see the exif but obviously taken and posted before 8pm on a Friday................definitely an archive shot! :p

Well done on another finish Andy :notworthy: :clap: , great idea for the theme (y) good look with your TP 52 2015 :snaphappy:

Perfect ending Andy with a shot of the ever tolerant Jackie :clap:

I have really enjoyed following your shots again this year, and sure lookm forward to your 2015 idea's (y)

Fab way to round off your 52 for 2014 Andy....cracking shot of Jackie :clap:

Hope you're all having a great Christmas....recharging your batteries to do it all over again in 2015 :woot:

Great portrait to end on Andy, no fancy frills, just a simple calm shot, with lovely eye contact and catch lights.

Like the simple background and the close crop too.

Once again, you must be applauded for your enthusiasm and effort in the 52's section. Also, your mature and positive reaction to negative critique is to be proud of, makes it much easier to be honest with you.

Best of luck for 2015, :)

Hi Andy

Nonsense - difficult theme but you have come up with a god idea. Eitehr text suits for me and i do like the hard contrast with the b&w on top and the 'greyer' lower part. perfect crossed eyes too - such talent:).

extravagant - some crisp images there but i am not too keen on the variation between the shots - i would have preferred to have seen them all as crisp and lit as the first. Grungy border suggested by Allan @alsjazzera does seem a good idea, although i like your choice anyway,.

Support - a very touching and sympathetic shot for the theme and so very apt.

Happy New year

Hi Andy, well done for finishing...again (y) nice picture to end on too

Good luck with 2015

Super shot of Jackie Andy. lovely eye contact ... I've thoroughly enjoyed your 2014 thread ...looking forward now to 2015 :)

Well done to you AND Jackie for finishing the year - a great idea for the theme :clap:

Congratulations on reaching 52 Andy

What a neat idea ... and a masterly portrait.

@Phil-D @Dark Knight @blondie606 @overbez @superpippo @alsjazzera @susiejb @XenosElaine @d00d

Thanks for you final comments on my 2014 TP52, it's been a real pleasure. I've taken onboard all feedback, be it positive or constructively critical. For those that are carrying on into the TP52 for 2015 I'll see you around, for those that are taking a break, I hope to see you around the forum.

Thanks again all (y)

Chests.

Hiya Andy - a great (and very well modelled!) final shot for this year's 52.

All of your technicals are, as usual, spot on. You asked for views on lighting and I'll prefix what I'm about to say with the obvious fact that I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I have been mucking around with single/dual flash for a bit and I'm starting to work out a bit more about it. So now I know maybe 0.1% of what I need, rather than 0% :)

1. L/R flashes - this is a fairly common setup, especially with a 2:1 power ratio... but, it's actually quite "unnatural" when you think about it. When do you ever see 90 degree split lighting occurring naturally, save for reflections off water/sky (and then it's a vertical 90 degrees rather than horizontal as you and most other people have it). I read a suggestion from someone else on here (who knows far more than me about such things) that if you want to use a fill with an off camera key which is to the side (e.g. 45 degrees say), you're better off using on-axis fill, i.e. hotshoe mounted or even bounce fill off the ceiling, but importantly from a light source directly in line, horizontally, with the camera. Otherwise you can end up with competing shadows which, again, can look unnatural. The exception to this seems to be fashion portraits which quite often have big light sources left and right, sometimes equal or nearly equal intensity... but I think that's more about flooding the subject with very soft light from all angles to fill pores and can leave the subject looking very flat/plastic as there's no definition left (which is the idea!)

2. Size of light source - I realise this might be more to do with what modifiers you had available to you, as the catchlight which appears to correspond to your flash camera right looks like a rectangular softbox... that's ideal. However, the catchlight corresponding to flash camera left looks very small and it's this small lightsource which is perhaps contributing to the relative harshness of that fill? It will mean (I think) that glossy highlights (sadly our skin is glossy without serious amounts of makeup) look a bit more pronounced than they would with bigger lights which illuminate the micro textures of the face more evenly. This shows up as shinier "crests" (think waves) under and around the right eye and right of the tip of the nose...

You did ask ;)

However, have said all of that - it's pretty minor - and the lighting you have is still very complementary and your posing of Mrs Posiview is brilliant. I love the look she's giving the camera and obviously the Help for Heroes top is also on theme as well, so a double score there!

Best of all, you've submitted yet another great photo to wrap up your superb 52 for this year, which deserves a massive well done! :banana::clap:

@pjm1, thanks, Paul, appreciate the feedback, especially on the OCF. I do tend to use the 'suck it and see' methodology, so the 2:1 power ratio is a good piece of information to know.

Competing shadows, yeah I did have this issue so moved the OCFs around until I arrived at what I was after. I'll try the on-axis fill next time. Yup, you noticed the catchlights, I did while in post. OCF right was a half meter softball but I thought I'd only taken the one so the other flash was bare (I later found my other softbox, but decided that Jackie had helped me enough :))

I think I'll have a good watch of some tutorials on Youtube.

Thanks for the support throughout the year, all the feedback from those taking part but I suspect many will agree yours has been particularly helpful and detailed.

Cheers.

Extravagant - Loving the triptych especially that middle image. It almost has a dreamy feel to it. The use of B&W is a good choice to fit the theme. I even like the graduated framing on this. Nice one or should I say three

Support - That's a really nice portrait and is very well lit. The vignetted background provides a classy feel. I'm sure Jackie must be really pleased with this. A great couple of images to see out another 52 for you.

Well done for finishing the year Andy :clap:

Extravagant - Loving the triptych especially that middle image. It almost has a dreamy feel to it. The use of B&W is a good choice to fit the theme. I even like the graduated framing on this. Nice one or should I say three

Support - That's a really nice portrait and is very well lit. The vignetted background provides a classy feel. I'm sure Jackie must be really pleased with this. A great couple of images to see out another 52 for you.

Well done for finishing the year Andy :clap:

Cheers, Peter, just been to Ikea :)eek:) and bought some frames to.....err, frame some of this year's photographs.

Back