weekly Posiview's TP52 for 2014 Week 52 Support added and FINISHED :)

Hi Andy, liking the idea the execution is good.... but it lets it down a little only because we all know you are capable of better
maybe something to have another go at when you have finished the ironing :)

Hi Andy, liking the idea the execution is good.... but it lets it down a little only because we all know you are capable of better
maybe something to have another go at when you have finished the ironing :)

Thanks. Totally agree. I did one property but my sowing was not up to scratch :)

Morning Andy, that's a great idea for energy, the lighting on Isabelle looks good (y)........:thinking: not too sure on the black square around the bulb though :confused:.......now my pp skills don't stretch too far, as you know :D...........but it would it have not been possible to have put just the bulb above her head instead of being in the black square :thinking:

Morning Andy, that's a great idea for energy, the lighting on Isabelle looks good (y)........:thinking: not too sure on the black square around the bulb though :confused:.......now my pp skills don't stretch too far, as you know :D...........but it would it have not been possible to have put just the bulb above her head instead of being in the black square :thinking:

Duly noted. See above!

HI Ya

late to the party again I'm afraid...Sorry :crying:

Guinness , like this , super black bg & really good lighting on the bottle bringing out plenty of detail in the condensation :clap: Minor niggle....I'd like a more head one view rather than the slight downward view but appreciate, with your kitchen limitations , this may not have been possible .There's also a really slight ( & I mean very slight) lighter area behind & to the left of the bottle just about where it starts to curve up to the neck ? I thought at 1st it was condensation but it has a rather hard line where it starts ?

Isabelle's version is also great , just slightly on the squiff but the idea is really great :clap:

Attached....yet more super lighting which makes the green really pop ,a hint of shadow to ground the leaf & well paced in the frame (y) Not so keen on the stiching color.....any reason for choosing red ?

Energy.....brilliant ! I'd thought of doing a light bulb without wires but the addition of Isabelle add's an extra dimension ! I partic like the slight glow round the outside of the bulb , lovely lighting on Issy's face with great catchlights in her eye's :clap:

Two smashing ideas Andy .... I thought the green leaf one was a fun take on the theme, and Isabelle once again has adopted the perfect expression for this one .... great black background and seamless PP ....very nice.

Thanks, Susie. The expression comes naturally whenever I get my camera out :)

HI Ya

late to the party again I'm afraid...Sorry :crying:

Guinness , like this , super black bg & really good lighting on the bottle bringing out plenty of detail in the condensation :clap: Minor niggle....I'd like a more head one view rather than the slight downward view but appreciate, with your kitchen limitations , this may not have been possible .There's also a really slight ( & I mean very slight) lighter area behind & to the left of the bottle just about where it starts to curve up to the neck ? I thought at 1st it was condensation but it has a rather hard line where it starts ?

Isabelle's version is also great , just slightly on the squiff but the idea is really great :clap:

Attached....yet more super lighting which makes the green really pop ,a hint of shadow to ground the leaf & well paced in the frame (y) Not so keen on the stiching color.....any reason for choosing red ?

Energy.....brilliant ! I'd thought of doing a light bulb without wires but the addition of Isabelle add's an extra dimension ! I partic like the slight glow round the outside of the bulb , lovely lighting on Issy's face with great catchlights in her eye's :clap:

Cheers, lynne, I can see the slight glow now. Grrrrrr.

Not sure why I did a slight angle on the Guinness bottle : thinking:

Attached, yeah, not what I wanted, but the leaves were very hard to show shop I gave up :( I chose red because it's opposite green on the colour wheel.

Energy, yeah Isabelle came to my rescue again. Might get this one printed.

Isabelle is currently I the couch, rather unwell :confused:

Cheers.

Hiya Andy...

I do like the leaf itself (technically good shot, nicely lit) but I'm less of a fan of the detachment/re-attachment, I'm afraid :(

But you've more than made up for it with Energy... WOW! I love that shot: what a great composite. I take it you shot both parts? The lightbulb is superbly done and after reading a how-to a few months ago, it's been something I've wanted to do for ages (was tempted to do it for "Live"). But I really like your lighting of Isabelle - she's lovely, the eye contact is just magic and the choice of lighting really works. Did you use a small gridded beauty dish or something? I want to get that "style" of directional lighting so keen to know...

(The only thing I'd have added in post is a grad filter darkening her shoulders and neck further, so it really draws the attention to her face and the bulb... but that's just my thoughts on things!)

Hi Andy, basically what @pjm1 said above lighting on Isabelle is excellent, I like how its concentrated on her face, would like an explanation of that, if you don't mind
the lightbulb is very very good, can't really add anything else, nice work (y)

Yep - Great idea Andy.. (see what i did there? :))

Similar lighting to your xmas jumper shot... I was just thinking for more light on the shoulders, the opposite of paul so that proabbly says you;ve got it spot on!

Didnt notice the black square around the bulb so you;ve obviously sorted that well. (Lighten blend mode could have been your friend here, or maybe screen. (Layer blend mode in PS)).

Hiya Andy...

I do like the leaf itself (technically good shot, nicely lit) but I'm less of a fan of the detachment/re-attachment, I'm afraid :(

But you've more than made up for it with Energy... WOW! I love that shot: what a great composite. I take it you shot both parts? The lightbulb is superbly done and after reading a how-to a few months ago, it's been something I've wanted to do for ages (was tempted to do it for "Live"). But I really like your lighting of Isabelle - she's lovely, the eye contact is just magic and the choice of lighting really works. Did you use a small gridded beauty dish or something? I want to get that "style" of directional lighting so keen to know...

(The only thing I'd have added in post is a grad filter darkening her shoulders and neck further, so it really draws the attention to her face and the bulb... but that's just my thoughts on things!)

@pjm1 - the leaf :exit:

Energy, I enjoyed this. I could play for hours with OCF, moving it around to see what a massive difference it can make to the shape of the face.

I only have one flash and softbox at the moment but have a feeling another one is on its way for Christmas :banana:

I saw a Youtube video recently where a guy had a gridded softbox and the way he was able to direct the light was great.

I tried a variety of edits on her neck and shoulder and ended up with one I liked. I'm not sure if my screen is correct set up and may be too bright, therefore, it might look a little brighter than you see it :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi Andy, basically what @pjm1 said above lighting on Isabelle is excellent, I like how its concentrated on her face, would like an explanation of that, if you don't mind
the lightbulb is very very good, can't really add anything else, nice work (y)

Cheers, it does cost me to 'hire' Isabelle, but it's worth it :)

Great one for energy Andy, the portrait on it's own is a cracker for the family album. Love the addition of the light bulb. There is a little bit of grey in the bg, but it doesn't detract. An idea I might look into trying one day.

Cheers, Michael, as stated above, I must get my screen calibrated as I can't see any grey, thanks for pointing it out (y)

Yep - Great idea Andy.. (see what i did there? :))

Similar lighting to your xmas jumper shot... I was just thinking for more light on the shoulders, the opposite of paul so that proabbly says you;ve got it spot on!

Didnt notice the black square around the bulb so you;ve obviously sorted that well. (Lighten blend mode could have been your friend here, or maybe screen. (Layer blend mode in PS)).

:)

Seems the shoulder lighting has different opinions, which is good.

I often use blending modes in PS, but didn't cross my mind on this occasion.

Cheers all.

ATTACHED - Re ... A bit more convincing: you could have done something about the shadow around the nearest end of the cut, but no maybe I like the unconvincingness of it all.

ENERGY - Oh what a love well-lit portrait. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Attached - all been said on the stitching but, but the good part is the exposure on the leaf, the detail captured and the slight shadow.

Energy - another super shot. Isabelle does tend to bring out the best in you. I really cannot fault it and would have been dead chuffed to have achieved it. :clap:

ATTACHED - Re ... A bit more convincing: you could have done something about the shadow around the nearest end of the cut, but no maybe I like the unconvincingness of it all.

ENERGY - Oh what a love well-lit portrait. (y)

Hi Andy

Attached - all been said on the stitching but, but the good part is the exposure on the leaf, the detail captured and the slight shadow.

Energy - another super shot. Isabelle does tend to bring out the best in you. I really cannot fault it and would have been dead chuffed to have achieved it. :clap:

Cheers, guys, I know Attached could have been better and given more time/effort I could have done better :(

I really enjoyed Energy (y)

Placeholder. Taken at Blackpool yesterday while visiting @Robbi with @blondie606

Saw it, almost shouted, "Thats my Round!" :oops: :$

There were around 8 of these holes but I could not get the perspective right to frame the sculpture thought any of them. I was looking at a square crop but it didn't look right and I actually prefer this composition. This was the best I could get. I have another idea but my first attempt failed so I'll try again later.

Cheers all.

Week 49 Round by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Hi Andy, I quite like it all kinds of round in there, would like to have seen the sculpture bang centre of the hole in the wall but I have no idea what the possibility of that was :thinking:

i think you have the crop right a square would have been obvious but that works well

Hi Andy

Live: Another vote for number 2 here. Much prefer the fun and quirckyness this one portrays. Compositon on the thirds is awsesome. The PS lightning bolts are nicely done as are the red eyes - they made me smile :). Agree with others regarding black t-shirt being lost....your reply about Isabelle becoming fed up made me smile again, I can relate to that....lol

First: Ha..ha...I reckon that is by far the worst (and funniest) X-mas jumper I have ever seen. You're done a sterling job on the lighting and the expression and crossed arm, pee'd off pose is perfectly executed.

Smooth: A good choice of subject. In general prefer number one as I think color works best here. Nice low key feel to it and the condensation droplets and reflection add a touch of class for sure. Number 2 is nicely composed and well set up with all the props in all the right places....Have to be honest and say that the way the nail has been rendered in mono puts me off a bit.

Attached:
I like the idea though you know me, I've got absolutely no prejudice against faux submissions lol....Nicely lit leaf though would be nice to see faux effects utilised to ruffle the cut edges and perhaps a PS string brush of sorts to do the re-attachment. I know how being short on time can 'force your hand' hats anyways for a top-class creative interpretation.

Energy: Nicely done composite. Isabelle's expression and pose works well and the light marries nicely with what we'd expect from the bulb above - seamless. Nothing I would change on this one.

I prefer having the extra stone top and bottom to what a square would have given so good ddecision there.

Short of moving the sculpture on the beach or turning the FG stone, thers not much more you could do, and the sculture isn;t a simple perfect circle so there isnt even a definitive point to centre it on anyway.

Ike the horizontal lines on the beach and obviously the circle echoing the hole in the stone.

That'll do for me. (y)

Great pov, composition with the sea above and the shingle below the sculpture? works, well spotted Andy (y)

A round twirly thing through a round hole ... excellent!

And yes ... great balance of exposure.

God damn it... how have I got 3 behind AGAIN :bang:

Right... Hi Andy :)

Attached - A lovely bright image, a tad of shadow and nice bright stitches, for me it's a bit high up in the frame, other than that great detail and an interesting take (y)

Energy - Another super pose from Isabelle, really liking the lamp you have used, great catchlights in her eyes, ... a super grin/pose, I bet your putty in her hands when it's a 'Daddy can I have' moment :D

Round - Ooooo nice... would like a tiny little more on the left, and think a square crop would work really well with this, I love what ever it is you have captured through the hole, the beach, stones, pools, sea and sky add some wonderful banded pastel tones behind it, love it :clap:

Hi Andy, I quite like it all kinds of round in there, would like to have seen the sculpture bang centre of the hole in the wall but I have no idea what the possibility of that was :thinking:

i think you have the crop right a square would have been obvious but that works well

Cheers. It wasn't possible to get it central and it drove me nuts :)

Hi Andy

Live: Another vote for number 2 here. Much prefer the fun and quirckyness this one portrays. Compositon on the thirds is awsesome. The PS lightning bolts are nicely done as are the red eyes - they made me smile :). Agree with others regarding black t-shirt being lost....your reply about Isabelle becoming fed up made me smile again, I can relate to that....lol

First: Ha..ha...I reckon that is by far the worst (and funniest) X-mas jumper I have ever seen. You're done a sterling job on the lighting and the expression and crossed arm, pee'd off pose is perfectly executed.

Smooth: A good choice of subject. In general prefer number one as I think color works best here. Nice low key feel to it and the condensation droplets and reflection add a touch of class for sure. Number 2 is nicely composed and well set up with all the props in all the right places....Have to be honest and say that the way the nail has been rendered in mono puts me off a bit.

Attached:
I like the idea though you know me, I've got absolutely no prejudice against faux submissions lol....Nicely lit leaf though would be nice to see faux effects utilised to ruffle the cut edges and perhaps a PS string brush of sorts to do the re-attachment. I know how being short on time can 'force your hand' hats anyways for a top-class creative interpretation.

Energy: Nicely done composite. Isabelle's expression and pose works well and the light marries nicely with what we'd expect from the bulb above - seamless. Nothing I would change on this one.

@JasonGlyn

Appreciate the feedback (y)

Not long now until I have to wear the jumper again :(

Nice advice regarding Attached :thumbs

I prefer having the extra stone top and bottom to what a square would have given so good ddecision there.

Short of moving the sculpture on the beach or turning the FG stone, thers not much more you could do, and the sculture isn;t a simple perfect circle so there isnt even a definitive point to centre it on anyway.

Ike the horizontal lines on the beach and obviously the circle echoing the hole in the stone.

That'll do for me. (y)

Yeah, damned annoying they didn't sort out the symmetry :)

Great pov, composition with the sea above and the shingle below the sculpture? works, well spotted Andy (y)

Oh, I like that! (The round shot) Great idea and well framed.

Great balance of exposure on round Andy. Like the composition too. If anything a little bit more space on the lhs to even it a little.

A round twirly thing through a round hole ... excellent!

And yes ... great balance of exposure.

Cheers all (y)

God damn it... how have I got 3 behind AGAIN :banghead:

Right... Hi Andy :)

Attached - A lovely bright image, a tad of shadow and nice bright stitches, for me it's a bit high up in the frame, other than that great detail and an interesting take (y)

Energy - Another super pose from Isabelle, really liking the lamp you have used, great catchlights in her eyes, ... a super grin/pose, I bet your putty in her hands when it's a 'Daddy can I have' moment :D

Round - Ooooo nice... would like a tiny little more on the left, and think a square crop would work really well with this, I love what ever it is you have captured through the hole, the beach, stones, pools, sea and sky add some wonderful banded pastel tones behind it, love it :clap:

@Dark Knight cheers, Dean, symmetry ggrrrrrrr :)

Here's a closer look at the sculpture. @blondie606 and @Robbi

Two toggers by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Hiya Andy - that's top notch, a nice spot and well composed. Your technicals are always bang on, and no change this time :)

Compositionally it's strong and I'm guessing you've tried a few different arrangements... I wonder if taking it further off centre would have worked? I actually REALLY like the shot of Lynne and Robbi in front of the sculpture - it really pops out of the image there.

Good job!

Round - I like it that sculpture looks massive, I wasn't expecting that either to be fair. But the image works well for me on every aspect.

Thanks, Mandy, it was a wonderful sculpture.

Hiya Andy - that's top notch, a nice spot and well composed. Your technicals are always bang on, and no change this time :)

Compositionally it's strong and I'm guessing you've tried a few different arrangements... I wonder if taking it further off centre would have worked? I actually REALLY like the shot of Lynne and Robbi in front of the sculpture - it really pops out of the image there.

Good job!

Cheers, Paul @pjm1 , I tried several compositions but this worked better for me. In then nod I had my tripod fully extended and the centre column! Never thought to put it off centre, add soon as I got symmetry in mind I was so focused on this :)

Smooth - I prefer #1 as I feel you've got the lighting virtually spot on with this one. The condensation is a nice added extra as is the reflection. The off centre composition for me helps this much more than a straight down the centre style.

Attached - What a great idea and can understand how difficult it would be to really stitch these two bits together. I feel thought the faux cotton is a little too stark and straight and therefore does look a little too false. Maybe separately shooting some cotton and adding the stitching on that way might have worked but understand you were going out. What was your trip to the National Media Museum like? We were really disappointed last time we went. The museum seems to have less and less still photography over the years which is a real shame.

Energy - Are you paying Isabelle by the way? She's definitely done her fair share over the years LOL. Great expression as well. The execution is good with just the right amount of glow around the light. Nice one

Round - Given all the trips to Blackpool to the in-laws you think I'd have taken a photo of the shell before now. What a good idea for the theme to shoot though the wall. Maybe a bump on the contrast may have lifted the image to emphasise more of the sea? Give us a shout next time you go. We'll organise a free cup of tea and use of toilets at Sarah's Mum's LOL

Hi A,ndy ...really liking the round shot ... love the angle the texture, and colours, really nice placing of the sea etc.

So glad you added the second shot ...that's a fascinating sculpture and makes a great stand alone image.

It is a wonderful sculpture. :)

Smooth - I prefer #1 as I feel you've got the lighting virtually spot on with this one. The condensation is a nice added extra as is the reflection. The off centre composition for me helps this much more than a straight down the centre style.

Attached - What a great idea and can understand how difficult it would be to really stitch these two bits together. I feel thought the faux cotton is a little too stark and straight and therefore does look a little too false. Maybe separately shooting some cotton and adding the stitching on that way might have worked but understand you were going out. What was your trip to the National Media Museum like? We were really disappointed last time we went. The museum seems to have less and less still photography over the years which is a real shame.

Energy - Are you paying Isabelle by the way? She's definitely done her fair share over the years LOL. Great expression as well. The execution is good with just the right amount of glow around the light. Nice one

Round - Given all the trips to Blackpool to the in-laws you think I'd have taken a photo of the shell before now. What a good idea for the theme to shoot though the wall. Maybe a bump on the contrast may have lifted the image to emphasise more of the sea? Give us a shout next time you go. We'll organise a free cup of tea and use of toilets at Sarah's Mum's LOL

@Delta Skies appreciate the FB. Yeah, stretched a was a real annoyance. I mentioned to Lynne how I thought I could have improved it and boring it in PP was one.

It cost me a fiver every time with Isabelle :)

Round, on the PP is appreciated. Nice cup of tea would be great (y)

Cheers.

Hi Andy

Round - well exposed, good crop. Good subject . I know what you mean about lining these things up with the sea wall etc - bit of a b.....r at times, but you have done really well and it certainly hits the them(y)

I also like the shot of Robbi and Lynne which shows the scale of the sculpture to those who have not seen it. The gold coating glows

HI ya Andy

good day out at Blackpool & great to @Robbi looking more his old self (y) Whadya mean , place holder ?????? that was a well spotted shot , you have a round window looking at a round thingummy...what's not to like . Given that you had the camera about a foot above your head it's come out extremely well.... :clap: Note to self...pack a step ladder for the next jaunt out :D

Back