weekly Puckers 2013 52 thread: Week 30: step(s) & Week 31: Mono added

Hi Lisa,
Rustic: An "uncut" loaf eh? - good idea. I quite like the arrangement but the bread looks a bit grey on the cut side which is a bit of a put off, maybe a reflector would have bounced some light in there for you?

Kind: Love it, Love EVERYTHING about it. An absolute cracker of a shot! (y)

Hi

Rustic - looks a good loaf but its shape is a tin so the rustic theme doesn't come thro so easily. The b/g is a bit iffy with the corner of the room showing. Also the face of the bread is a bit grey as Brian has pointed out, so the beauty of the texture is lost somewhat. Also I think that I would have gone for including more of the cut slices lying down rather than piled - again detracting from the theme - and a bit more in focus.

Kind - so different from Rustic - it has everything. It's as if you had taken rustic, self-criticised it and acted. :clap:

Excellent colour and lighting, good b/g, good comp, good dof. Maybe just a tad tight on the crop upper left , but very minor point. The first one on this theme that i think that i have seen which uses the word in its emotional sense. (y)

Hi, Lisa, Rustic, ooooooo, I do like real bread. Nice colours, texture and detail. I'd like to see the whole loaf.

Kind, cracker, high key feel to it. Well composed...thought it might be a tad close to the left/top, but it really works for me. Colours really pop. Good show :clap:

Cheers.

Just to echo what everyone else has said about kind Lisa, IMHO perfect, simply perfect :D

You really needed a bit of light on the right side of the bread there.

Kind is a great photo though, Lisa. :)

Agree with all that's been said...

plus I think you've gone for a bold crop and angle on kind - which works really well... (y)

Rustic, nice idea with the bread but the light need to hit the cut side also maybe a wider shot to show a piece just cut lying next to it with lots of crumbs ooh ooh and an old fashioned butter dish and some home made jam!!!! god I'm hungry now.

Kind, the colours and the details of the flower really stand out against the muted tones of the background and note.

(y)

Hi Lisa

Not gonna labour on Rustic as all's been said.....it is,however , making my mouth water :D

Kind........simply beautiful.....no crit from me ...just one thing though....I hope it's framed & hung on a wall :clap:

Lisa, I really like angle and I don't think it's a stretch at all. Thos players are defintely at all angles! It might possibly be better a teensy bit wider to get those outside feet in, but you may well have ended up with half another player. It's a great shot, really gets the action.

Rustic: definitely on theme, maybe better if the cut face was lit and the side in shade?

Kind: nice colours and like the light treatment, but I'm afraid the angle doesn't do it for me!

Vertical is a real cracker. Great detail, perspective and reprocessing really fits th subject.

Pattern works well and good detail. Nice bit of red in the drops would work for me.

Movement, good idea and if to the theme. Nice colours and detail.

Size, like the simplicity of this one. Well composed. Tad underexposed, maybe.

Cheers.

Nice catch up the two that stand out are vertical and movement both cracking shots :clap:, size is a nice simple shot but you have composed it really well.
Nice work all round (y)

Vertical is a real cracker. Great detail, perspective and reprocessing really fits th subject.

Pattern works well and good detail. Nice bit of red in the drops would work for me.

Movement, good idea and if to the theme. Nice colours and detail.

Size, like the simplicity of this one. Well composed. Tad underexposed, maybe.

Cheers.

Thanks, the size one prob could do with having the brightness upped a touch, just wanted to get it done and nearly upto date :bonk:

Nice catch up the two that stand out are vertical and movement both cracking shots :clap:, size is a nice simple shot but you have composed it really well.
Nice work all round (y)

Thank you :)

Hi Lisa :)

Vertical - Very nice, like how you have managed to catch the one coming off on it's own :)

Pattern - Mmmmm looks like humbugs :D great image

Movement - Again great detail, the movement frozen very well in the water, really like that !!

Size - Liking the crop, well lit and bang on theme (y)

And to cap it all great Catch Up :clap:

Vertical, pattern, movement bang on theme and very nice images. Nice idea with size, love the lighting :D

Hi Lisa, firstly many apologies for taking so long to get here, it's been a nightmare year! Anyhow I'll cover as many as I can.

Rustic, home made bread, yummy, others have said everything about this. I just have to add that looking on my iPad there looks like a strange halo around the loaf:thinking:

Kind, is just beautiful ::clap:

Vertical, I love this, it's very serene and beautiful, I could see it for sale in Ikea :clap:

Pattern, very simple but effective. I like the circular drops and the stripes in the background. Did you stage this or was it an opportunistic shot?

Movement, nice composition and colour/ detail on the apple. The movement in the water is just the right amount (y)

Size, again a very simple idea, nice composition and lighting.

I'll try and make more of an effort to visit again soon.

Vertical is hard to crit, just a lovely shot. The vignette works really well too. Pattern's also really nice, the striping in the droplets is great... I'd love to know how you did that? I like the idea of movement a lot, but a bit more dof would improve it for me. The colours are lovely, and the shapes in the water are great. Nice layout and comp in size, but a little lighter would be nice.

vertical is really pretty, a real softness to the shot as a whole - I think fro mthe fluffy bits), but super sharp on the stem(?) of the floaty off one.

pattern, another pretty shot - all the different sizes of the drops being the real interest for me, with the pattern within as a secondary draw.

movement - 10/10, beautiful soft movemenmt of the flow from the tap onto the apple, and then sharp freezing of the motion from the splash. :clap:

Size - could benefit from a greater DOF - just loosing sharpness towards the 5 mark.

Nice Idea for the size shot could maybe do with being a little bit lighter.

Hi Lisa, welcome back. :wave:

Vertical: Love it.

Pattern: Wow! Love it even more!

Movement: Perfect and SO clever.

Size: Great idea & well shot.

Hi Lisa

Vertical I love .....looks wonderfully sharp but soft at the same time , mono works spot on ...beautiful :clap:

Pattern....fab detail like the different size droplets as they add interest & like the blue tone (y)

Movement.....like the splash of color in the apple , well frozen movement in the water & placement in the frame :)

Size...simple but very effective & right on theme ,well lit but OCD kicking in as it appears not quite level ?

Well done a fab catch up missus (y)

Thanks for all the comments :)

Pattern, very simple but effective. I like the circular drops and the stripes in the background. Did you stage this or was it an opportunistic shot?

Pattern's also really nice, the striping in the droplets is great... I'd love to know how you did that?

Thanks these was just droplets that had formed on the inside of a half used water bottle, i saw it and it hit me :LOL: I just moved it near my kitchen window for better light.

Size...simple but very effective & right on theme ,well lit but OCD kicking in as it appears not quite level ?

Probably, i just put it on the sofa just to get the shot done, didnt even look at that in ps. Thank you!

thats a great idea, I say that because i did something similar you have a good job with it I can see what you mean about the tom but it isn't spoiling it for me

really rather liking the processing on this one - love how the overall feel comes across as quite soft and dreamy, but yet the point of focus is super sharp, even down to the fine hairs on the stems of the plants. a plump juicy red one would be the icing on the cake, but I've yet to grow one like that....... certainly not with the weather we've had this year!

Hey Lisa :)

Process - An interesting idea, I like it, the pics are uneven sizes but that isn't a problem to me, some nice detail, red toms would be perfect but that would take a while to get the stages- Nice :)

thats a great idea, I say that because i did something similar you have a good job with it I can see what you mean about the tom but it isn't spoiling it for me

Love, love, love vertical - would love to see it printed out large (y)

really rather liking the processing on this one - love how the overall feel comes across as quite soft and dreamy, but yet the point of focus is super sharp, even down to the fine hairs on the stems of the plants. a plump juicy red one would be the icing on the cake, but I've yet to grow one like that....... certainly not with the weather we've had this year!

Thanks everyone :) Id like a red one too but sadly they are only just fruiting, maybe ill find a shot for one later in the themes :D Thinking about it my chilli's are flowering/ fruiting too but still green atm dont think that will change before the end of the week :bang:

Hi Lisa

ooohh , home grown tom's...yummy yummy..

Not sure what it is you're not happy with cos I think it works really well....you've clipped the edge of the leaf but done it symmetrically which works , the colors look good as does the framing (y) I may have been tempted to clone out the little leaf just sneaking in on the lhs...maybe ??

Hi Lisa, hmmm well, for me it's a bit of a work in progress rather than a process tbh.

The 2 shots are well exposed and nicely focused but as others have also said, I would liked to have seen at least one more, perhaps a ripe one on the end to complete the sequence?

You could always get one from a shop! :)

Last edited:
Lisa, sorry to be slow in catching up...

Vertical: great idea, not a vertical in the shot but still gets to the heart of the matter. Brilliantly done, too!

Pattern: excellent work here. Not only a pattern of drops, but patterns within the drops and a pattern of drop sizes (almost fractal!). Love it.

Movement: again, nicely done. Short enough exposure to freeze those moving drops but the OOF water coming down makes sure you know it's moving. Like the colour and balance, too.

Size: well, not sure about the theme, but who cares? Not quite such a success here; some parts of the tape a bit over-bright, especially the "2", but the shape is seductive.

Process: both parts seem to suffer a bit from the bright background?

Hi Lisa

Vertical - super - good detail and effective pp.
Pattern - like the colours and the banding in the drops - perhaps a bit too under populated in the middle
Movement - spot on - good colour and well handled droplets
Size - simple and very effective.
Process - I see what you mean about the focus on the fruit - to me it is just that leaf on front left. 2 pics side by side often don't work but you have handled this well by contrasting the sizes of the shots

Back