weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2014 (Week 21 and 22 added)

That's a good shot, Chris. It's a nice composition, interesting colours and sharp. What's not to like?

yep - colours and reflections are the stand out parts of this shot.

Good fun trying to make out whats in the reflections (tripod legs??)

Bubble, bang on theme Chris (y)
Loads of bubbles in there with vivid colours and sharp reflections, it ticks the box for the theme, good work

Hi Chris

lovely work on your Bubble shot...nicely sharp with great reflections & those rainbow colors coming through (y)

finally I've managed a smoke shot with a little creative thinking to get around my lighting issues...
Bearing in mind I have no speedlight flash, and this shot was taken with no flash whatsoever, I am fairly pleased how it turned out.

This was taken in a dark room, with a black paper background and lit with a white LED clip-on lamp from ikea close on the right-side and a mirror to the left to reflect some further light back to allow the shutter speed to be a bit quicker than it otherwise would have been. Obviously high ISO too and quite a bit of noise reduction in PP

Week 5 - Smoke
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Good shot, Chris. I like the shape and colour of the curling smoke and it's nice and sharp. Minor crit: I would be tempted to take that blown highlight off the bottom of the match. Well done for overcoming the kit constraints!

One minute you;re convincing yourself you need a flash, and then you go and prove that you don't!!

Great job Chris, good to see you fighting the left to right obsessives. Works well like this!

Well it would have been a darn sight easier with a speedlight and sharper clearer smoke I think....it was a bit of a bizarre balancing act in the bathroom of all places...when the missis returned you can imagine the reaction and scratching of head over what I'd been up to with mirrors, led lights, tripod and camera in the bathroom! ;)

Sounds like me yesterday!!

I actually like the smooth, wispy look to the smoke here, not to mention the colur which is great!

Well done Chris (y) good colour, the match head is great, good detail and that slight glow of red on the left :)

Great image especially given the tools you were working with. Just proves you don't need to spend a fortune to get good results. I like the inclusion of the match and the blue tones of the smoke. Nice one.

I really like your smoke pic Chris, lovely colour tones in the smoke, and thanks for saying how it was done...our bathroom is my dark room too :eek: Interesting that you mentioned the mirror as I would like to try smoke again and I don't have a flash so I may have to try that.

Thanks everyone

DK...there was actually a lot if colour noise in the smoke, there was a magenta tinge to it but not sure what caused it. LR sorted that out. Although the smoke wasn't really sharp to start with the noise reduction made it a little more smoothed out

I was surprised not to see lots of background noise too, perhaps on other lenses their would have been at that ISO.

Hi, considering no speedlight you've done really well. The ribbon like smoke works well as does the colour and composition.

I did wonder if it was a composite, just with the positioning of the smoke and the match. Obviously not a composite...eeekkkk

Cheers.

Where there's a will there's a way :D I do have a speedlight - but can't take it of camera :(

Good job and very nice composition.

So for now I missing out "Mineral" and will come back to it when I can

These two are my entry for "Sense", my interpretation being "common sense", taken on Weston beach yesterday. I had a couple for "Ending" also, but feel that they are too much like snapsots and don't have an awful lot of artistic merit, so I'm going ot hang fire and see what I can come up with through the rest of the week.

Week 7 - Sense (1)

Week 7 - Sense (2)

Now you see him...and all you could do is take a picture of his disappearance! Shame on you dog owner Chris...

Back