weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

Mineral - I really like this. Composition and DoF is great as is the lighting. I think the addition of the shadows particular from the middle fork really adds depth to it.

Sense - I have to say I'm not a fan of selective colour although in this case it works for me. Should the leaf be coloured or mono? Should it be cloned out? Not sure. Either way I like it as it is.

Mineral - I really like this. Composition and DoF is great as is the lighting. I think the addition of the shadows particular from the middle fork really adds depth to it.

Sense - I have to say I'm not a fan of selective colour although in this case it works for me. Should the leaf be coloured or mono? Should it be cloned out? Not sure. Either way I like it as it is.

I have to admit the leaf puzzled me a bit too tried it a number of ways and in the end left it in and coloured although I'm not geen on the bit that's not green - that no one's picked up on :D

Well I hope thats a large OCD bench :D Love the DoF and the lighting.

No crit on the Sense it really works for me. The composition is spot on and the SC really suits. (y)

I'm so going to go out and take this weeks shot in the street where things just "are" whether they're symetrical and aligned or not :D

Hi ya

I'm quite partial to SC so the shot's a winner for me to start with :clap: you've done your own crit with the eye's not totally sharp but given the focus needs to be on the straw I don't think it affects the image

I have just noticed one odd thing....from the knuckle area downwards on the 1st finger....some very faint color seeping through ? But thats on the picture in the piccy only thread...you've sorted it in your main thread

Last edited:
Hi ya

I'm quite partial to SC so the shot's a winner for me to start with :clap: you've done your own crit with the eye's not totally sharp but given the focus needs to be on the straw I don't think it affects the image

I have just noticed one odd thing....from the knuckle area downwards on the 1st finger....some very faint color seeping through ? But thats on the picture in the piccy only thread...you've sorted it in your main thread

Thanks Lynne - I noticed the seepage the other day too :LOL: I think I missed it with the de- sat brush :D

Well, this has surely taught me why I do not like to mess around in Photoshop - there's 2 hours of my life I'll never, ever get back :D

I've clipped the leaf at top right - there's plenty of space in the original too :headbang: - make sure you manicure before attempting anything like this :D - background is complete pants :LOL: - and find better way of drawing eyes on an orange :D

I quite fancied doing a series of "orange people" pics - but as it will more than likely involve the use of photoshop - I've changed my mind :D ALthough I guess reading tutorials and practice might just help speed me up a bit ;)

#8 Ending/Fin
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

What a creative and fun image, crit wise I think a nice clean white background would work well. Only a tiny detail but would be good not to have the leaf clipped :D. All in all I find it a bright and cheerful take on the ending theme nicely done Sarah.

What a creative and fun image, crit wise I think a nice clean white background would work well. Only a tiny detail but would be good not to have the leaf clipped :D. All in all I find it a bright and cheerful take on the ending theme nicely done Sarah.

Thanks Mandy I "might" just have another re-edit of it now that I know what I'm doing :LOL: But flipping 'eck what a faff :LOL:

How did you think of that one :eek:...a great fun image....and a very original take on the theme :)

I've always been a strange child ;) I actually did something like it in my 365 last year, but wanted to redo it - was picking Oranges today - like you do ;) And I suddenly realised it would fit this theme :D

Great fun image brought a smile

love it :)

Thank you :)

:LOL: very good Sarah :clap: for me, I think the bg not being perfect white doesn't matter with some images, this being one :) ( I've got to say that :whistle:) :D

Can I see where you've been using the cloning tool though, just under the orange? :thinking: :whistle:

Last edited:
Hahaaaa LOVE THAT Sarah... the edit is a stonkingly bright image, makes me feel all summery :)

It doesn't feel at all summery here at the moment - bitterly cold wind and lots of cloudy days :(

:LOL: very good Sarah :clap: for me, I think the bg not being perfect white doesn't matter with some images, this being one :) ( I've got to say that :whistle:) :D

Can I see where you've been using the cloning tool though, just under the orange? :thinking: :whistle:

You can see where I've used the cloning tool, spray painter and anything else I thought might help :LOL: Really do not like poncing about with photos - I'm too lazy for all that fannying about ;)

Really do not like poncing about with photos - I'm too lazy for all that fannying about ;)

Err you seem quite strong on this view :thinking::exit::LOL:

Sense - all tech details have been covered - my two penn'orth is that is a well thought out image and well handled. My little bit of crit would be along the lines of the fruit touching the lips would add to the sense of sense (see what i did there?)

Ending - anothe unique idea and well handled - b/g a bit patchy but good orange and green colours and a fun smiley shot. Sorry to hear about your weather:rolleyes:

HaHa ... excellent.

This inspires me to concentrate more in future on photoshopery and humour.

Last edited:
Great image. I really like the idea. You provided your own crit in the original post and for me the edited version with the extra space works much better.

I love the fun element to this, I think we can all fall into the trap of being too serious.

Great image.

Ending: A cool idea, happy and fun, which is nice. I prefer the way the juice exits the orange on the first picture.....looks better here I think?

Good work Sarah, and hats off to you for playing around with some photoshoppery (y)

Ending is a fun image, I really like that! As someone else mentioned I think a seamless white BG would improve it, maybe a bit of reflection of the glass too?

Nonetheless, great stuff (y)

You'll never please all the people with SC... and that's part of the attraction of it. Me? Used well, I think it's great! Here? used well. ;) (y)

Love the pouring orange.... embrace the Photoshop, it lets you do so many things you'd never get otherwise... like this one. it's awesome!

Oh lord, I am so behind with all this and I apologise profusely for not having even glimpsed peoples threads recently :eek: Thank you all for your lovely comments too xx

This weeks #9 was a bit of a shoot and run

#9 Positive Positivo
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Now, I've just got to find the time for Time ;) Unfortunately it has left me with a nasty little earworm - which I am just going to have to share with you all :LOL: - and as such is giving me problems in coming up with an idea ;)

Clever idea Sarah. Like the contrast in colours between the background and the yellows in the lemons and juice. Perhaps just a little bit too much reflection in the jug?

Hi, Nice idea but the lighting looks like it was a bugger

I prefer this version

Clever idea Sarah. Like the contrast in colours between the background and the yellows in the lemons and juice. Perhaps just a little bit too much reflection in the jug?
good one and agree about the reflection on the jug, love the little video (y)(y)(y)

My Kitchen is my most favourite room, it has 3 huge great arched windows - not at all good for reflections - but, it was a bit of a shoot and be damned - using the flash made it heaps worse.

Lovely composition nice work x

Thanks Mandy

Hi, Nice idea but the lighting looks like it was a bugger

I prefer this version

(y) The lighting is lovely if it's not shiny reflecty things you're trying to photograph :LOL:

Back