weekly SSU's TP52 for 2015

Hi Martin

very Old Film feel to that image,think someone's mentioned Casablanca already , like the gritty processing & the few items on the counter (y)

Elegant:

It looked better in my head but I'm trying to get across the synonym 'refined' for elegant. If I'd spent an inordinate amoount of time on it it might have come together but I had to do a Post and Be Damned after I ran out of patience.

Another different approach to the topic. Like it .... Might have used a plain surface rather than the checkerboard effect which is a bit distracting, but a great idea ...

LOL a very clever interpretation Martin (y)

It's just a shame that 'Refined' looks like Refinerd. Hey Ho.

Hi, i see what you where going for but the BG with all those lines doesn't work, the battered box and the word elegant are not very elegant
you say you ran out of patience, I can't see how that would have taken much time to set up to be honest, sorry if that sounds a little harsh

plus point it's different from all the bloody swans this week and I say that as someone who posted a swan

Hi, i see what you where going for but the BG with all those lines doesn't work, the battered box and the word elegant are not very elegant
you say you ran out of patience, I can't see how that would have taken much time to set up to be honest, sorry if that sounds a little harsh

plus point it's different from all the bloody swans this week and I say that as someone who posted a swan

Lol about the swans.

The patience thing came about because I could see that what I had in my head was not going to translate too well to a finished image as I would have needed a large piece of glass, a very expensive bottle of champagne, an overhead winch for me and my camera and the lighting rig of a professional studio. I realised none of that was going to happen and I left it at the ironic image of elegance, or perhaps not. C'est la vie.

A great thought process, would definitely look better on a plain background and with a bit of tinkering to the sugar cubes as they are not too refined. Liking the idea a lot.

I'm afraid people seem to have missed my point, perhaps I have been too obscure. I'm not trying to show 'elegant', I'm trying to show an aspect of a synonym -- refined. The sugar cubes are deliberately not elegant, the suger is refined sugar, the battered box is the antithesis of refined and elegance. Ah well, swans next time.

I got the idea Martin and like the way your mind was working, just not sure about the execution.... But, the number of times I've had an idea in my head that was beyond my abilities/time/resources/budget and tried to convert it into something more dooable. And really glad you didn't do swans ;) as I'm sick of the sight of them this week :p

Watery. My dog Ollie having a swim. The water is freezing but he doesn't care, never has.

Watery%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

Last edited:
that's a brave dog you've got there. Great fit to the theme and the focus is spot on

Wet dog, I remember that smell :D

Very nice, nice and sharp, and a nice low aspect too. (y)

But I can't help thinking if you had got in the water with him, Martin .......................
:D

I always envy dogs...they just jump in and have arrear time :)

It's on theme and nice bit of a reflection there.

Did you sharpen at all?

Cheers.

He looks like he's enjoying himself, neither of mine will go in the water except to paddle, very watery indeed, one of him shaking of the water might have been a good idea for watery also

Great for the theme, lovely looking dog and great eye contact :clap:

Companions - well I think this is a super image. I tells a wonderful story even without your explanation and the only thing I think can improve it is the de-amptutation you mentioned! This is really my kind of photography... real people with real thoughts and emotions and we get a glimpse of it all through the lens.

Elegant - very witty take, well done!

Can't see the image for watery?? - Edit, I can now! Nice shot but lighting just feels a bit stark. Good focus though.

Last edited:

Bold%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

Not sure if this works or not but hey ho.

Last edited:
Yep, it works! :LOL:
The raised eyebrow gives you an "evil professor" air :LOL:

LOL nice one Martin (y)

You only live twice, Mr Bond. Muhahahahahah

Thanks all. Yes, I suppose it is a bit of a cheat but it has BOLD in the picture so technically...;)

Relax!

Note the exclamation mark!

Prepare to be examined :)

FFS, that's another belter.

Great detail and stretch in the glove. The lighting suites the theme and the black BG is to my liking.

So far, you and @alsjazzera have produced some notable Relax submissions that are very much, IMO, connected.

Cheers.

FFS, that's another belter.

Great detail and stretch in the glove. The lighting suites the theme and the black BG is to my liking.

So far, you and @alsjazzera have produced some notable Relax submissions that are very much, IMO, connected.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I do try to find a different view of things.

Back