weekly SSU's TP52 for 2015

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Thread's up for 2015, I'll try again.

Crikey moses......your keen :D See you at Wk 52 next year (y)

PATTERN

Picture of the side of a wicker waste-basket, turned to B&W and fish-eyed in-camera.

pattern%20(1%20of%201).jpg

Did a little friggin' about. Added contrast and changed exposure and clarity:

pattern_2%20(1%20of%201).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Martin ... Glad it's not just me getting the linking thing in a muddle.

Love the basket weave image. Great mono conversion, very nice textural feel and love the balance of light from one side. Nice work.

Sara

The funny thing with this is that if you hadn't mentioned fish-eye I would have assumed that it was just the natural shape of the basket!
Nice transition from light and shade left to right, although I wonder if the blacks could be a little bit darker for my taste.
Definitely a good choice to go with B&W though (y)

Hi, nice textures and good practice photograph.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

The funny thing with this is that if you hadn't mentioned fish-eye I would have assumed that it was just the natural shape of the basket!
Nice transition from light and shade left to right, although I wonder if the blacks could be a little bit darker for my taste.
Definitely a good choice to go with B&W though (y)

If you saw the whole thing rather than this crop you could see the basket disappears off quickly on either side; TBH until yesterday I didn't even know I could do things like that in my camera, however it is new and I have a lot to learn with it.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to buy a Nikon D810. I had a D750 for about a week and when it went wrong I decided to get the 810 instead, definitely a good move for me.

Nice start Martin, nice textures and interesting use of B&W :)

Hi, the fisheye really does give it an 'in ya face' feel.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

Hi Martin

Really nicely done this... I really like the tones in your B&W conversion - part of me is craving for a touch more shadow detail in the left part of the frame, but then again that adds to it in a sort of mysterious way. I love the fisheye effect which really works for me. DOF choice spot on as well and some great detail in those vertical wicker bands, especially. We can get terribly caught up in blown highlights but I don't think the bright right detracts from the image at all. It's certainly stretching the dynamic range to its limit though... which is good to see.

Very very smart and welcome!

Interesting take on Patterns and the textures are great but it is lacking a little something for me. I don't know if it needs more contrast but it seems a little 'soft' for my taste? But that's purely subjective on my part. Good start and welcome from me too :wave:

Interesting take on Patterns and the textures are great but it is lacking a little something for me. I don't know if it needs more contrast but it seems a little 'soft' for my taste? But that's purely subjective on my part. Good start and welcome from me too :wave:

Yes, I feel the same. It was just a quick shot for the practice theme and I might have a go at putting a little more drama into it if I get the time later, I may even leave it for a reshoot and a do a proper job on it.

Hi Martin ... welcome back

Nice homely kind of image with warm light and shadows.

My thoughts were as @Bruja s yesterday… but see you replied agreeing… so i'm hoping you find time for a reshoot!

Good start though

Mark

Liking the contrasts of light/shade on this shot black and white definitely does it justice.

I like the fish eye effect its not too much as some fish eye pics can be
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Welcome to 2015 52s! With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Updated pattern picture, see original above.

A second-hand bookshop, a browsing heaven; bliss for me. DoF is not deep enough and I wasn't sure if I should include the door. It was a quick snapshot in an arcade so light was not good.

Bookshop%20(1%20of%201).jpg

Last edited:
A great novel take on the topic, maybe would have just got the lower right hand side bit of the table in the shot.

Back