weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

thanks guys my son and his dog are always together but I wanted to do something a bit different

the white inner didn't look right Michael, it was too bright for the image

thanks DK - I do like dark things like graveyards and ruins n stuff

Thanks Marsha and Alan - trouble with dogs posing is... lol - she kept trying to run back to me so I think I was lucky to get her at all :)

A dog that doesn't pose. Hmmmm we've got two of those :LOL:. I like the image. The darkness has been captured well and I think the border really helps.

Hi, Allan, I saw this on my phone but wanted to view bigger.

It is quite a chilling sight. B&W silhouette was the way to go here so well done. You've got cracking blacks here and the composition is good. Tad more drama in the sky maybe?

Built in 1676 - yikes!

Cheers.

Oooo that is a little spooky:eek: I like the silhouette and the composition. My only issue is the dog is a little lost on the horizon especially beside the mound of grass to the left.

What Marsha said Summer but I do understand about how unwilling some models are, especially ones with a leg in each corner ;)

B&W definately right for the image and well composed. Well done

Nice shot as a silhouette (yeah I had to look that up as always, same with miscellaneous!!) and works well on the double together theme.

thanks everyone - now pretty stumped with the new theme :(

Hi Summer, really like your together. Silhouettes are really difficult and you have done really well and captured the moody sky. Only crit is that you can't really see the dog. But that doesn't detract form the photo at all - just the theme bit of it, so I shouldn't worry about that at all!

The real challenge this week is to come up with an interesting subject?

thanks Mike, but the theme is also the double gibbet - gibbeted together :)

anyway - onto this week

once again I have been impeded by lack or props/models - this is a big problem for me within this challenge, but my 'normal' choice of photography would be wildlife or landscapes, so I guess I am being taken out of my comfort zone :)

week 45 - pack

last PACK of cigarettes - about to PACK in the habit? (this is why the pack is crumpled)

edit - just noticed the border is blue - this is something flickr has done because it's cream on my PC :cautious:

week 45 - pack by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Summer

Pack - that fits the theme very well - if i had thought of cigarettes i would probably have gone for just a pack but i really like your idea of screwing it up - much more original. :clap: Bit of glare in parts of the lighting but shadows give depth to the shot.

Funny about colours - you say that the border is cream on your pc but that flickr has turned it blue. On my monitor it is a good neutral light grey. :)

thanks Alan, I'm using a laptop so the actual colour could be anything :)

agree with Alan a nice touch to screw the packet up, a nice take on the theme (y)

thanks Allan, I have tried for a 'film noir' with the pp, I think it looks the way I intended :)

Nice one Summer (y)
As Alan mentioned above, the crumpled pack adds depth and texture to the image. Against a jet black background, the metallic feel to the pack really stands out. Well lit, with simple composition works. Good work iain

'Ello, good on you for stopping smoking :clap:

Great blacks here and as Iain said this contrasts well with the metallic cigarette packet. It's screwed up as you would having finished the last cigarette.

I'd like to see a bit more aggression, for want of a better word, a really screwed up empty packet.

Good show.

Hi Summer

love the silhoette shot for Together....nice n dark n brooding, pooch a little lost but can't be helped , overall yup , wins for me (y)

Pack....have you stopped smoking or was this just a prop ? only curious, .
Border is grey on my monitor ? can't help wondering if the shot needs something else but not sure what ? maybe the pack screwed up in an ashtray ? Like the processing , little too central maybe ? Crikey...I'm being really decisive tonight :LOL:

thanks for your comments Lynne, although I think central was the way to go :)

anyway, art, sounded easy. My first thought was public art - a lil fave of mine, except there is none in Basingstoke. Well none worth photographing anyway. They do like to let the kids do paintings in the subways though, and some of them are quite good. In time for Remembrance Day they did this lil gem (topical too). I have added a couple more just to give you an idea (the 3rd one was taken in Jan so not part of this challenge :) )

week 46 - art by moominmama, on Flickr

week 46 - art part 2 by moominmama, on Flickr

subway lights by moominmama, on Flickr

thanks Mike, I tried a reshoot of the last one and it turned out completely different (no reflections) so it just goes to show how all the elements come together to make the image stand out :)

Nice bits of graffiti they are well exposed in what is a difficult conditions etc but the angle of the first 1 lets it down a bit could do without the lights being in view

Pack - Nice image which you've greatly improved by scrunching up the pack.

Art - Whilst I prefer the colourful graffiti of #2, I think I have to opt for #1 especially given we have had Remembrance Sunday this weekend.

afraid I couldn't do anything about the lights guys, and there's not much room in a subway :) These images are better taken at night so the lights are on. I will try for a better angle at the weekend during the day. I have now decided to capture all of Basingstoke's subway art :banana:

hmmm, it looks ok Mike, with the reflection, but the different coloured lights are the part I liked lol :) now I'm hoping it rains so I get can more subways :LOL:

Hi Summer, what great street art and I look forward to seeing your others as you capture them. I think I would go for #1 because of it having being Remembrance day.:):)

Hi Summer,

Pack, great idea to crumple it and well done for giving up, I hope it's going ok? Nice composition and black background too.

Art, number one is better for the theme being topical for Remembrance Day but it looks a little soft, or is that the art work? Number two wins it for me with better detail and I really like the composition.

Good idea for the ART theme, it also occured to me but I had a feeling someone else would do it. (There's so much of it about these days!!)

I like the one with the reflections but I would choose art part 2 with the off-centre vanishing point. They are all suitable for that dutch angle type of shot, too.

Hi Summer, sorry if I've missed a few of yours; I hope not.

Age, I actually prefer the first version for its abstract nature. Very nice.

Spread is a nice shot; I know nothing about taro so wouldn't have known it fitted the theme!

Together is a very moody shot, and bang on theme. Nice composition, though I only saw the dog there once you'd pointed it out.

Pack is nicely shot; great exposure. Not a nice subject, but bang on theme :)

Art; all three are good and on theme, but number three is my favourite for its vivid colours and reflections. I love it!

Back