weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hi Alan.

Smoke 1, initially I thought it was a bit meh (that's a technical term) but I kept staring and shapes started jumping out! Looking sideways on I can see a person! It makes for a much more interesting shot the longer you look at it!

Love number two. The stripy background contrasts nicely with the smoke and the five sticks :)

Not sure what the whisky bottle is about but it's a cracking shot, love the lighting on this.

Mineral, I like the light background, the other one doesn't look real, but it might be my eyes at nearly 3am playing tricks on me!
Great detail on the ring and rock thing though :)

Thanks Marsha. I do quite like the smoke shots but my beef with that type of photography is that it cannot be repeated with, say , different lighting or different pov.
And that slate and ring are real!
And the whisky bottle was a different take on the shot by Graham @overbez . I had a lot of fun getting that lighting

Hi Alan, I prefer the first one for the position of the ring and the lighting on the rock I like a dark BG too
a nice idea to display the ring on the rock too (y)

Cheers Allan. What i could not fathom is that the b/g is the same piece of card but the shots turned out so differently with the lighting altered.

Hi Alan, #2 gets my vote mainly as it shows the detail on the band of the ring with more clarity. (y)

Thanks Iain

hi
great idea for featuring stone on ring, like the positioning/composition of first but also drawn to second by the little 'twinkle'

yes that is what i really like about the shot

Another awkward response in that I like the composition of #2 but the darker background in #1. Either way I really like these. Using a grey backgrdoun really compliments the slate as does the gold on the jewel

Thanks Peter. Not awkward at all - that really is the reason that I posted the 2

Last edited:
Hi Alan, thats a great idea when i saw it I thought of course!!!, it would never have crossed my mind, so well done for that idea.
Thats really thinking outside the box :coat:
somebody had to say it

Yep, great idea Alan, well executed (y)

FWIW, has to be the second mineral shot for me, lighter background lifting the image, super sparkly starburst, and nicely lit to get the texture in the slate.

Sense is a great interpretation too, again well lit to bring out the very shallow raised dots on the packet, and a real sense that the fingers are gliding over them. Works well. And technically spot on too.

Hi ya :wave:

original take on theme :) not sure but....to me it appears to be pasted on the bg.....possibly due to no shadows ,almost as if the fingers are tyring to hold it down :thinking:

Hi Alan :)

Sense - Of touch, a very original idea, really well lit, nice angle and also liking the limed oak background, it sets the white box off nicely (y)

Cheers DK. Nice to be able to use a b/g that is not black or white card :)

FWIW, has to be the second mineral shot for me, lighter background lifting the image, super sparkly starburst, and nicely lit to get the texture in the slate.

Sense is a great interpretation too, again well lit to bring out the very shallow raised dots on the packet, and a real sense that the fingers are gliding over them. Works well. And technically spot on too.

Thanks Graham

Sense, interesting take. Pity you couldn't get a little motion in the fingers.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - Had a bit of trouble with the position of the fingers because the middle finger is surprisingly longer than the forefimger when trying to photo them and needed to keep clear of the raised dots. Any slight movement looked more like an oof shot than planned motion

Hi ya :wave:

original take on theme :) not sure but....to me it appears to be pasted on the bg.....possibly due to no shadows ,almost as if the fingers are tyring to hold it down :thinking:

Thanks Lynne. Interesting ob.
Lit with strong natural light from the right and there is some shadow on the lhs of the dots and the fingers and the table:thinking: But maybe you get that sensation cos the packet was not flat on the table. It was raised at its top end from the table in order to get the shadow on the dots - they are very shallow. So, ironically, the fingers were lifting it slightly, not holding it down !!:)

Mmmmm, that's made me feel hungry! A very tasty-looking take on the theme, but I'm not too sure about the composition. I find the cup and saucer a bit distracting and think that maybe a little more care could have been taken when squirting the chocolate sauce on the top.

mmmmm a lovely ending to a perfect dinner, very nice... and how OCD would you have to be, to take care with your chocloate sauce (sorry Elaine :)), squirt it all over i say.

cup and saucer not a problem for me, missing spoon end not a problem, but I'm sure I won;t be the first to mention the left rim of the bowl.

Other than that - like the shiny spoon, the white tablecloth, the shadow under the bowl, the highlights on the choccy sauce. (y)

Thanks Graham.
I took a chance by cropping so tight. Originally the shot included the whole of bowl, cup, spoon - but I thought it lacked impact. So looking at some of the food shots in our dozens of cook books, it is apparent that there is certainly a style/fashion, call it what you will, for cropping across cutlery, bowls etc. One Delia choc cake is on a stand and essentially the left third of cake and stand is omitted. So I tried to crop tighter and used the motif on and circle within the cup handle as top reference and the inner cream line of the bowl as another. I could have gone to the outer edge of the bowl or cropped in further. It is an interesting observation and in the end just a feeling that each of us have. I am happy with the top and RH crop but that left still has me thinking. But it is enlightening to see the two views expressed already.

... and how OCD would you have to be, to take care with your chocloate sauce (sorry Elaine :)), squirt it all over i say...
Fair enough if you're just going to eat it, but I think presentation is important if you're going to show it to other people first. Not OCD, possibly just seen too many cookery shows where the food looks almost too good to eat ;)

Good work on ending Alan, a different take on the theme (y)
You've covered what crit I would have given in your explanation above. Fair enough it was deliberate, I ca n see your thinking behind it.
I can see both sides to the chocolate sauce discussion, ;)

Hi Alan, I think the crop is fine as the subject matter is prominent in the frame
I can see why you have added the teacup for a bit of balance but a plainer one may have been better the colours on the cup are slightly distracting
nicely lit too
adding a banana is just dirty though shame on you

The perfect ending! Nicely lit, not to sure about the LH crop, I'm not against cropping out some of the main feature it's just the amount cropped needs to be more so it doesn't look like it was clipped.

t2801.gif
..........great Image (y) Most has been covered above Alan and you've explained why you shot it as you did, but for me I would have liked, at least, to see the bowl on the left and possibly the all the spoon...... :thinking:....its one of those images where, unless you have the two shots to compare, its hard to judge :)

If you like it and it's what yuo had in mind then you achieved what you set out for.

I'm not keen on the crop, it's either not tight enough or too tight IYSWIM. My eye also keeps getting drawn to the bright tea cup.

Oveall, a good submisison: well exposed, good detaila and interesting take on the theme....and looks yummy

Cheers.

Hi Alan, I think the crop is fine as the subject matter is prominent in the frame
I can see why you have added the teacup for a bit of balance but a plainer one may have been better the colours on the cup are slightly distracting
nicely lit too
adding a banana is just dirty though shame on you

Thanks Allan - plainer cup seems to be the judgement of most. I understand hat but I am still happy with it tho.
Do you have a penchant for bananas? o_O
If so, the Kahlua infused cream goes great with it.

The perfect ending! Nicely lit, not to sure about the LH crop, I'm not against cropping out some of the main feature it's just the amount cropped needs to be more so it doesn't look like it was clipped.
Great work, looks delicious. I feel the cup and saucer a tad distracting, I feel the image would work better if it wasn't there.
t2801.gif
..........great Image (y) Most has been covered above Alan and you've explained why you shot it as you did, but for me I would have liked, at least, to see the bowl on the left and possibly the all the spoon...... :thinking:....its one of those images where, unless you have the two shots to compare, its hard to judge :)

Cheers folks - valid points (y)

If you like it and it's what yuo had in mind then you achieved what you set out for.

I'm not keen on the crop, it's either not tight enough or too tight IYSWIM. My eye also keeps getting drawn to the bright tea cup.

Oveall, a good submisison: well exposed, good detaila and interesting take on the theme....and looks yummy

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - really appreciate those comments

It looks and sounds absolutely delicious :) I too find the cup a little distracting, I would prefer it if the cup matched the bowl....but hey, what's better than a shot that you can eat afterwards...hope you enjoyed it !
I agree with you susie looks yummy:)
Hi Alan, another nice image as mentioned above the cup in the back-round is slightly distracting but the main subject looks good

Cheers folks - valid points as mentioned above. I did enjoy the eating - better not let on that there were 6 meringues and none left now :eek: - mind you I had to share them :)

Week 9 - Positive

A local church has a significantly damaged roof from the gales and there is now a fair amount of scaffolding at the side.
But not to let it get them down, they have indicated how they are carrying on in a humorous way.
I could not get a shot of the sign against the damaged roof as on different elevations, but thought that the juxtaposition (by crikey theme of Week 9 of 2013) of the sign and the entrance was a positive feeling

Looks better on Flickr I feel.

Positive - DSC_6229
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back