Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

As above stated second one is more pleasing i find my self not begin botherd about the other text in the image and being drawn to the promise text sio it does what you wanted it to (y) great to get the paper white instread of yellow as well

Hiya James,

Really like the 'promise' photos great DOF in the first and nice focus on promise in the 2nd (only nit-pick with the 2nd is that is looks a bit skew).

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn, I alway struggle with getting things level even if i use the guides in PSE9, any tips?

Hi, James, well done for a nice, simple idea that works well..

Is the paper flat or curved upwards?

Both are a tad off centre.

Cheers.

Thanks, See comments above re off centreness :p, The paper was curved upwards.

James I like your idea and this song (y)

You should have shot it upside down, that's how I always see set lists ;) I like the dof and the presentation suits the stark nature of the image IMO (y)

Thanks Tina, glad you like the song. I didn't shoot it upside down because i only wanted the style of the set list, i don't think the artist would have the lyrics to songs on stage anyway would they?

Hi James,

I like both of them and the dof is spot on for the theme. (y)

Thanks

Great shot No2
A nice balance, with the field of focus on the bottom third of shot, and a nice soft gentle blur above and below it.
I think that works better for me, than shot one, where the field of focus at the top, unbalances the shot a little.

Great

Adie

Thanks, i agree the 2nd one does look better. The first shoot just tell you about the idea behind my shot i guess.

As above stated second one is more pleasing i find my self not begin botherd about the other text in the image and being drawn to the promise text sio it does what you wanted it to (y) great to get the paper white instread of yellow as well

Thanks, I actually made the image black and white so's not to have a discoloured paper :)

OK so week 21 is being uploaded and will be posted soon.

James

Hi James

love your Twisted shot....great color & DOF & spot on the theme (y)

Now that I like! Perfect for the theme. Excellent detail where it's needed and great use of DOF.

Yes it looks even better in the large size - really powerful.

Not hugely keen on the orange colour, but that's a minor point.

Good shot(y)

Patrick

Hiya James

Thanks Dawn, I alway struggle with getting things level even if i use the guides in PSE9, any tips?

First, to answer your question ... I often use the top of the 'Task Bar' at the bottom of my screen as a guide to getting horizontals level, which seems to work as a good guide for me.

Onto your photo for twisted .... I really like this one. Orange is one of my favourite colours so that gets a (y) from me.

Great detail in the metal at the fore, and good control of lighting. The angle and DOF work well. The background/base compliments the orange too.

Well done

Cheers

Hi, James most has already been said but I especially llike the orange and composition.

Think I'd like to see all the actual screw threads in focus.

Cheers.

Hi James

love your Twisted shot....great color & DOF & spot on the theme (y)

Hi James, love the corkscrew. really like how vivid the orange is, great focusing and lighting. Whats the new flash you have got?

Thanks, I got a Jessops 360AFD was actually part of a eBay lot of 5 of them it was a risk as they were sold as spares or repair. This one just needed a few bits of soldering re-done, the other's are being looked at by a electronics guru and hopefully sold on :)

Good shot hadn't thought of that one even though I'm well aquainted to them !!! I like the angle and crop you have used

ha ha thanks, i actually don't drink wine so was surprised when i thought of the idea, lol

Now that I like! Perfect for the theme. Excellent detail where it's needed and great use of DOF.

Yes it looks even better in the large size - really powerful.

Not hugely keen on the orange colour, but that's a minor point.

Good shot(y)

Patrick

Thanks, it was the only one available in the house but maybe an all sliver would look good?

Good composition and use of colour, I lso like the dof (y)

Hiya James

First, to answer your question ... I often use the top of the 'Task Bar' at the bottom of my screen as a guide to getting horizontals level, which seems to work as a good guide for me.

Onto your photo for twisted .... I really like this one. Orange is one of my favourite colours so that gets a (y) from me.

Great detail in the metal at the fore, and good control of lighting. The angle and DOF work well. The background/base compliments the orange too.

Well done

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, will give the tip a go next time i need to level something :)

Thanks for your comments, i actually took 50 odd shots of this on both black and white backgrounds and this looked the best.

Hi, James most has already been said but I especially llike the orange and composition.

Think I'd like to see all the actual screw threads in focus.

Cheers.

Thanks

Last edited:
You've made good use of the new flash Lighting looks very good.

Thank you.

Knew someone was gonna post one... just tried my attempt too. Yours looks spot on the angle and brightness works really well. Also like the lines in the blades.

Hi James,

I'm not so keen on week 20, not sure why, something about the text in #1 isn't right - did you curve the paper? The DOF is good in both though.

Week 21 I like, nice detail on the tread.

Week 20 - Yeah #1 had a curve to it

Week 21 - Thanks

HIDDEN
To some anyway?​

Hello to those of you who have found this :)

Wasn't really feeling this week for some reason? Everything I shot I wasn't happy with, so i've gone through past photo's and found a shot from 2008!!! and it's shot with my very old now Fuji S5000, lol.

Anyway I think it fit's the theme and i'm still a little freaked out by it :)

As this whole post has been hidden, i'll wait a bit before I post the shot in to the thread and just use a URL for now.

So here it is Week 22 - Hidden

[link]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfordham/5785713463

Last edited:
Hiya James,

That is absolutely fantastic .... very clever indeed. Where on earth did you take this photo?

Cheers

Clever

..........well spotted.

Well done Neil

Hiya James,

That is absolutely fantastic .... very clever indeed. Where on earth did you take this photo?

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, it was taken in 2008 on a walk along the River Orwell. Only a 10min drive from my home and a nice walk too (there's a pub at the end of it, lol)

Thanks

James

wow that was amazing i started to talk to my self espically when peolpe satted to comment on it i thought i was going nut fantastic idea that in my top 3 for theme cant relly say on shot as i haven't seen it and don't really want to as it will spoil it for me (y)

wow that was amazing i started to talk to my self espically when peolpe satted to comment on it i thought i was going nut fantastic idea that in my top 3 for theme cant relly say on shot as i haven't seen it and don't really want to as it will spoil it for me (y)

Paul,

I think you can safely and confidently join the :wacky: of the photo52 ... welcome on board :LOL: You are not alone ... there are many of us here :D:D

Cheers

OK, So the moment has passed i think so here's the photo for those who haven't found the link.

Hidden - Week 22 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Please tell me you see the face? When i took the photo it was for the different lines of colour it was only after getting home and looking through the shots i saw the face :eek:

Last edited:
Which head do I wear to view this? My geologists head or my photographers head? mmm
ah well, it doesn't matter, great shot from either perspective.
The only niggle is the sky is blown, which is a shame, but when there is great sediment strata on display, who looks at the sky LOL

Adie

Gotta love it....walking around thinking "Hidden, hidden, I need a hidden photograph......wwweeeyyyyhheeeeyyyy, I've found one!....;)

If you tell me there was no manipulation before, during or after the photograph was taken I'll be very impressed.

Gotta love it....walking around thinking "Hidden, hidden, I need a hidden photograph......wwweeeyyyyhheeeeyyyy, I've found one!....;)

If you tell me there was no manipulation before, during or after the photograph was taken I'll be very impressed.

This was taken in 2008 :)

And apart from colour tweeks i haven't touched it.

Brilliant idea for "hidden" on many different levels.

Took me a couple of minutes to work out the first post - that's sneaky:LOL:

Great pic - didn't see the face at frist- then it suddenly hit me. Nice shot of the layers of rock. A bit more detail in the sky would be the icing on the cake.

Hello all,

So here it is week 23 - Broken, A before, during and after of the destruction of a light bulb, I already know what I would do differently if I re-shot this. I think a lower angle would be the biggest improvement and maybe a bird poo free backdrop, lol.

Anyway let me know your thoughts please.

Broken - Week 23 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Hi, nice idea and you've done a decent job. Looks a bit dark on my work's PC. Also I've have got a bit closer - can you crop and retain detail?

Might have been an idea to buy some dar card and drop the bulb onto that to possible show more contrast?

Background is a bit busy.

Cheers.

:agree: As Andy has said you have done well to capture the breaking of the bulb but we can't appreciate the detail of it from the distance. A close crop may work with the image you already have though.

Hi, nice idea and you've done a decent job. Looks a bit dark on my work's PC. Also I've have got a bit closer - can you crop and retain detail?

Might have been an idea to buy some dar card and drop the bulb onto that to possible show more contrast?

Background is a bit busy.

Cheers.

:agree: As Andy has said you have done well to capture the breaking of the bulb but we can't appreciate the detail of it from the distance. A close crop may work with the image you already have though.

Thanks,

How about this for a quick crop?

Broken (edit) - Week 23 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks

Back