Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

Hiya James

:D Well done on your Tropical fish .... that is excellent and very creative thinking (y)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya James

:D Well done on your Tropical fish .... that is excellent and very creative thinking (y)

Cheers

Thanks Dawn,

It was your Week 17 that gave me the idea, i didn't have enough different fruit for a shot like yours so i want the Tropical to comes from something else in the shot.

J

Excellent & creative idea & great shot for Tropical(y)

Was The 41st Ipswich to Felixstowe Historic Vehicle Run today and great weather (unlike last year!!!)

Saw the theme and through YES!!!! Then i saw my subject in the park and it just screamed POWER to me. So here he is

Power - Week 18 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Was actually waiting for it to transform into a robot but it never did, lol

Thanks again for the comments of the previous weeks.

James

Hiya James

Wow that is one mighty mean monster truck and defo oozes POWER.

I too like the way you have composed the shot, emphasizing the size of it.

Great colours too.

Bet you had a fab day out.

Cheers

Hello all,

Week 19 and another selective colour, lol. You know you love them really.

OK so Divided had a few ideas mostly around storage so what better subject for this idea than....... My DeviantART Camera Bag :p

It's not the biggest or the most expensive but i love it, with it's bright red interior and hidden rain cover, lol.

so without further ado Week 19

Divided - Week 19 by j.fordham, on Flickr

I also did a blurred background version but the selective colour is my favorite, but here it is anyway.

Divided2 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

James

Hi James, 2 great versions of your photograph, and I like them, but the selective coloured one would be my pick. I really like those red inserts, a smart camera bag indeed! Well done.

I like the subject, bang on theme! But not a fan of selective colouring, so I'm sorry, don't like it :(

OK, can i ask what it is about selective colouring you don't like?

I like the subject, bang on theme! But not a fan of selective colouring, so I'm sorry, don't like it :(

OK, can i ask what it is about selective colouring you don't like?

Good question. Perhaps it is that the image is composed to draw a ttention to a particular area (as your bag is open we automatically look in) the selective colour seems to just overdo the 'look at me'. Shades of protesting too much?

Good question. Perhaps it is that the image is composed to draw a ttention to a particular area (as your bag is open we automatically look in) the selective colour seems to just overdo the 'look at me'. Shades of protesting too much?

OK but you said you don't like selective colour, not that you think it doesn't work in this 1 picture. So the question is, is it selective colour as a whole you dislike or just how its been used here?

While I don't mind using PS for things like SC or adding "simple" boarders. I would say that a few photo's i have seen on this forum do go way ott with the use of effects, at the end of the day this was a picture of a camera bag and my use of SC was to highlight both the fact that i want you to see the "Divided" part of this bag but also highlight the bright red interior. Otherwise it's just a bag in front of a brick wall and wooded fence.

J

OK but you said you don't like selective colour, not that you think it doesn't work in this 1 picture. So the question is, is it selective colour as a whole you dislike or just how its been used here?

While I don't mind using PS for things like SC or adding "simple" boarders. I would say that a few photo's i have seen on this forum do go way ott with the use of effects, at the end of the day this was a picture of a camera bag and my use of SC was to highlight both the fact that i want you to see the "Divided" part of this bag but also highlight the bright red interior. Otherwise it's just a bag in front of a brick wall and wooded fence.

J

I get your point about my blanket statement.

I feel the use of SC in this image is not adding to the power of th image. Your composition was good enough to ensure the eye was drawn to the purpose as even in the colour image the dividers are a strong element win the picture.

Thanks for not letting me be so lazy ;)

Hi, James, I quite like SC and in this one, any other colour but red wouldn't have worked for me - it really booms at me.

You've filled the frame but a bit too close I feel.

In #2, I quite like the contrast bewteen the red bag inner and the green leaves and blue railings.

You've done a decent job with adding the blur but it's just a tad off; I'm sure this will improve with practice.

Think Tina is right that your composition is very good and doesn't give the viewer any other option than to be drawn to the bag interior. I would also agree that the sc is not needed for that purpose. However I believe that it does enhance the image and possibly locks your attention to the bag interior.
The thing with selective colour in my opinion is that it can be applied to any image which it doesn't really suit and I believe I have seen more that don't work well than do. I don't comment on shots with sc that I don't like because of the divided opinions.
Think you got this one spot on.

Hiya James,

Right on theme there with a photographic spin (y)

I like both photos and agree with others about the selective colouring, it works with some and not others, but in this case I think it works.

Cheers

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments so far.

OK week 20, had a few ideas and as i'm so into my music decided on this.

Promise - Week 20 by j.fordham, on Flickr

The lyrics to Placebo's "Broken Promise" (featuring Michael Stipe) from the album "Meds" I wanted this to have the look as if i had shot it at a gig (like on stage set list feel) in bad light hence the noise, thoughts? Not going to be everyone cup of tea, but thats what makes this fun :)

And here's another from the same set

Promise2 - Week 20 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hiya James,

Really like the 'promise' photos great DOF in the first and nice focus on promise in the 2nd (only nit-pick with the 2nd is that is looks a bit skew).

Well done

Cheers

Great shot No2
A nice balance, with the field of focus on the bottom third of shot, and a nice soft gentle blur above and below it.
I think that works better for me, than shot one, where the field of focus at the top, unbalances the shot a little.

Great

Adie

Back