Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

Hiya James

Wow that is one 'elaborate' time piece ;)

Not sure about the composition .... may have worked better if it had been photographed on its own without the background as it is ...... I keep trying to figure out what it is next to the clock ... is that a printer?

As for the subject fitting the theme ... I think you have clocked it there :D

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,

I wanted it to look like it's where it lives, i didn't want to have just a clock on it's own and yes that my printer :)

James

Hi Dawn,

I wanted it to look like it's where it lives, i didn't want to have just a clock on it's own and yes that my printer :)

James

Hiya James,

Point taken and I agree in that regards it works well as it is then (y)

Cheers

Hi James,

I too have never seen one of these 'elaborate' clocks.
It was slightly distracting as I couldn't work out what it was.
Now I know it's a printer it is definately distracting as it's not the sort of thing I expect to see in a bedroom next to an alarm clock!

Other than that it's composition is OK and it certainly say's elaborate.
I'd prefer a reshoot though with a slight shift in the composition to show the bed rather than a printer!

Hi James,

I too have never seen one of these 'elaborate' clocks.
It was slightly distracting as I couldn't work out what it was.
Now I know it's a printer it is definately distracting as it's not the sort of thing I expect to see in a bedroom next to an alarm clock!

Other than that it's composition is OK and it certainly say's elaborate.
I'd prefer a reshoot though with a slight shift in the composition to show the bed rather than a printer!

Well, firstly it's not in my bedroom it's the living room. The half of the room i have my computer set up in so the printer is not out of place

And the word clock does not have an alarm function :p

J

For anyone interested i built the word clock from a guide in the net, if you want i can post a link?

James

Wow James ... that would be great ... would be interested to see the link and well done to you for building the clock it is ACE!

Cheers

Well, firstly it's not in my bedroom it's the living room. The half of the room i have my computer set up in so the printer is not out of place

And the word clock does not have an alarm function :p

J

Don't know why I thought it was in a bedroom, I guess I just pictured where I have a clock, other than the one we have on our hall wall, and assumed you were in the same room!

It's still distracting, you should keep the printer in the study.
I use the study in the east wing of Mentalblock Hall for my printer. The study in the west wing has more of an oldie worldie thing going on and the printer looks out of place :LOL:

Don't know why I thought it was in a bedroom, I guess I just pictured where I have a clock, other than the one we have on our hall wall, and assumed you were in the same room!

It's still distracting, you should keep the printer in the study.
I use the study in the east wing of Mentalblock Hall for my printer. The study in the west wing has more of an oldie worldie thing going on and the printer looks out of place :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Mentalblock Hall ..... :love: it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Mentalblock Hall ..... :love: it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We're thinking of opening it up this year to tours, especially as the bathroom has just been cleaned, may as well get the most out of it!
I may even leave Mrs Mentalblock in the bath, as judging by my flickr stats, she attracts more attention than anything else!

Wow James ... that would be great ... would be interested to see the link and well done to you for building the clock it is ACE!

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Here's the link (which also links to a new version) i followed, it's not for the faint hearted though :p

Word Clock

J

Last edited:
Hi James

well done you for making that clock..very unusaul & def Elaborate .Didn't notice tha background until I read others comments but it doesn't bother me...my attention is draw to the subject (y)

Thanks for your comments everyone, been busy this week. I'm actually working on a second Word Clock for a present.

Hope to post me shot for this week Saturday evening as i will hopefully be Celebrating returning to work following a back problem i got over a year ago.

Thanks

James

OK,

Being a bit cheeky this week as I've fallen behind and things are going to get busy for me. So I have rearranged my submissions and chosen a different Week 26 and used that picture for week 29 (It fit's so well) That leaves me with week 28 to shoot and hopefully i will have that done this week if i get some good news?

Thanks

Week 29 - Smell

Week 29 - Smell by j.fordham, on Flickr

Funny... I thought of your photo of the dogs nose when this theme was anounced... defo the right thing to swap... good luck with week 28!

BTW... really like the DOF on this photo... I've thought of using my mums dog this week for a pick... but it's a west highland terrier and it never stays still... so not sure of the results! Defo not tack sharp like this I fear!

thats a corker for hidden, saw it straight away, brilliant

the lifeboat one for resuce is a great angle, lovely colours, much prefer this to the second

like all three dog shots, and a dogs nose perfect for smell theme i reckon

Hi all,

Thanks for the comment.

Here's my Week 28 which i have only just got around to doing, i MAY have a second shot to go with this over this weekend as i was successful in getting a new job this week so may have a drink or 10 to Celebrate :)

Week 28 - Celebrate by j.fordham, on Flickr

This is the birthday card my Mum has made my brother his birthday is trw and mine is next week. Did a far amount of PP on this has i could get a nice white background so did it after.

Thanks

James

Firstly congratulations on the new job, it's not easy these days, especially if you're in the construction industry like myself.

The card looks great and your photo has done it justice.

My only crit would be the shadow, perhaps a reflector to bounce some light in, or possibly the main light could have been defused a little.

Firstly congratulations on the new job, it's not easy these days, especially if you're in the construction industry like myself.

The card looks great and your photo has done it justice.

My only crit would be the shadow, perhaps a reflector to bounce some light in, or possibly the main light could have been defused a little.

Had another play in PS

Any better?

Celebrate-edit by j.fordham, on Flickr

J

It's not a case of removing them, making them softer would have been better, IMHO.

The play in PS hasn't done the job as you've not removed all of the shadows cast on to the white (green ribbon in the bottom of the frame) and I think it would be too difficult to remove the shadows cast on the card.

I'd stay with the original, shadows and all, they're not too distracting, I just think they should/ could be softer.

Agree with Neil and Michael that the first one is better. Because there are shadows on different elements of the card, it looks photoshopped when you remove them from other places. Just a slight softening of the shadows would be better as Neil said.
It's a fantastic card and a really good shot.

Ok ta... Quick Lunchtime edit...
bd-1.jpg

Still not quite there but ;)

Used Gimp.
Duplicate original pic
Brighten +30 or +40
Contrast +10
Gaussian Blur 5
Move to lower layer
Add a mask to upper layer
Paint in over edge of shadows carefully (blend where required using a soft brush on the paint on the mask)
For lower edge shadow, use the selection tool, run down a distance along the ribbon edge.
Gaussian blur the selection around 15
DeSelect and soft paint in the lower edge of the blurred mask and along the ribbon.

I think I might have needed to blur the shadow on the R a little more as its slightly more raised. But you get the idea :D

Last edited:
Smell, nice and very sharp.

There's a bit too much space at the bottom, I feel, but you've done well for the theme.

I actually like your first celebrate, I don't mind the shadows as they seem to add a bit of dimension to the card. I'd like to see something under the rear of the card - I'm just not sure about the perspective as it is.

Cheers and (y) for the new job.

James...that shnoz is sharp!! .. (y) great DOF ..

and celebrate is spot on for theme and composition, another good idea..

Hiya James,

Well done on deciding to make the doggy nose the shot for 'smell' it fits the theme perfectly.

For 'celebrate' I think you have done well with the edit which I prefer to the original. And wow what a great card too, well done to your mum :clap:

Happy birthday to you for next week too, just for chance I miss the actual day.

Cheers

Hi All,

UPDATES ON THE WAY (Will be up over the weekend)

Things have been all of the place recently, my new job lasted all of a week, It was horrible :( I wont go into it but i'm not out of work and spend most of my time looking for something so photography is going to take a back seat for a while.

Thanks

James

Hi All,

UPDATES ON THE WAY (Will be up over the weekend)

Things have been all of the place recently, my new job lasted all of a week, It was horrible :( I wont go into it but i'm not out of work and spend most of my time looking for something so photography is going to take a back seat for a while.

Thanks

James

I well understand the horrors of a new job that isn't worth the keeping! Good luck (y)

Hiya James,

Sorry to hear your new job didn't work out for you. Good luck with the job hunting, I'm sure you will find something soon.

Cheers

Back