52 From Baloo 2020

Hi Roger,

Nice start to your 52!

The water tower works really well for the theme and the silhouette of it contrasts nicely with the misty BG.
Great shot for Pleasure. It's almost monochromatic. It really ticks my boxes. No idea what model of glider it is but it looks pretty large (third scale?).
Hi Lee, thank you for the comments the glider is a 3 meter ASW which makes it about 1/5 scale(i think).
Hi Roger, a very nice picture, how did you get it?
Hi Clive, my great pleasure since a boy has been flying RC Model Aircraft, this picture was taken from St Agnes Head being flown by a friend of mine. I took the photo just after launch, hoping to get some better shots, but there was a problem with the model and it had to be landed straight away. Will put another photo at the end of this post to show better what we fly and where.
Excellent image!!
Thank you Bob
That's a beautiful image Roger!:clap:
Wonderful misty background and a crisp subject with great lines - such great contrasts!
Bravo!(y)
Thanks Gareth.
Lovely image nice and sharp on the glider
Thanks Minx
Great image, you'd never know it was a model. :)
Thanks Rick.
A very realistic looking model and well done to get it spot-on focus.
Thanks Stan
Lovely image for Pleasure Roger a simple and clean image.
Thanks
Hi Roger

Wk1 looks like a cold war watch tower on the berlin wall. Nice reflections on the still water. Background mist highlight the starkness of the tower.

Wk2, lovely shot of a crashing glider, did they get wet! (I did see it's a model)
I take it you where up high and used a telephoto lens to get that perspective. I love the monochrome feel to the colour.

Pete
Thanks Pete, we have had a couple go in the drink over the years but its very rare.

Here is me launching a model from the spot the photo was taken a few years ago.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2if2jt5]StaggieScram 017 by [/URL]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/165177093@N04/]R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

And from the other end of St Agnes Head a 4M model landing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2if2AnQ]On Approach by R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

Hi Roger, great 1st couple of images. Love the reflections with your 1st shot. The glider picture is really unusual. Didn’t realise it was a scaled model till I saw your later posts. Looking forward to see your next contribution

Very good, i like the angle of the glider in the sky and the almost mono tone feel.

I really like your shot for tool, good composition and it works well in b&w

Really like this. Nice composition and subtle lighting
Hi Roger, I really like this! It's taken from a great angle and I would never have known it was a model. The almost monochrome tones are smooth and the glider is so sharp it stands out nicely against the soft tones beyond. Really nice :)
I really like your shot for tool, good composition and it works well in b&w
Hi Roger, nice composition, works well in b&w, moody looking sky.
That's excellent Roger!
Very nicely processed, and the mono treatment has given it a lovely vintage feel, perfectly in keeping with the subject.
Nice work!(y)
Lovely shot and treatment - B&W suits it really well.
Thanks

Greta atmospheric shot for tool, I was gong to do something similar. It really suits the mono treatment too.

What a great find, Roger (y)
The processing suits it very nicely

Hi Roger

What a great B&W Image, the tones are nice and even, Love the sharpness of the bottom half against the wooliness of that brooding Sky.

Pete

You have stumbled upon a great tool for this image, the low down point of view gives it that touch more elegance and the PP also matches the mood. Well done on both image and theme.

Interesting subject, great sky. The black and white adds to the overall feel.

As has already been said, excellent composition, processing and subject. Spot on!

You have stumbled upon a great tool for this image, the low down point of view gives it that touch more elegance and the PP also matches the mood. Well done on both image and theme.
Interesting subject, great sky. The black and white adds to the overall feel.
As has already been said, excellent composition, processing and subject. Spot on!
Great work. Love this one!
Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.:)

pleasure - clear and simple, I like that photo!

tool - unusual aspect, I would have taken that in landscape, but it works very well and includes more moody sky. Nice sepia conversion.

Nicely composed shot.. and interesting subject matter. Doubt it would have the same impact in colour so good choice for mono.

pleasure - clear and simple, I like that photo!

tool - unusual aspect, I would have taken that in landscape, but it works very well and includes more moody sky. Nice sepia conversion.
Nicely composed shot.. and interesting subject matter. Doubt it would have the same impact in colour so good choice for mono.
Well composed and nicely processed. Looks great in mono.
It's all been said, Roger! Spot on for the theme, moody sky, lots of sharp foreground detail that suits the main subject matter, and the upright composition and monochrome work very well.
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Got to agree I'm afraid - I think I get what the point of the image is, but there's too much dear space and not enough subject for me. The concept is really good, but I think this is one is want to revisit.

Got to agree I'm afraid - I think I get what the point of the image is, but there's too much dear space and not enough subject for me. The concept is really good, but I think this is one is want to revisit.
Thanks, Im playing around with negative space, maybe I have over cooked it on this one but I like the image if I am honest. Not sure what you agree with?

Edit, found out what you agree with, no its not OOF it's underwater!:D

Last edited:
I think the dead space emphasises the fact that it's deep underwater - I like it.

I think the dead space emphasises the fact that it's deep underwater - I like it.
Thanks Dave, glad someone likes it!;)

OK here is a clue to anyone interested, the necklace is called Heart of The Ocean! Any film buffs here?

I like it. Including all the space above. I think it is a very clever shot. Good one!

Am underwater shot is different and a nice idea for the theme. I'll have to Google heart of the ocean then I might understand there image more :)

I had to zoom out a lot to see the whole image on my laptop so it ended up rather small, I get how it relates to the theme and I think it works, maybe a bit more space to the sides of the charm, It's a difficult theme to do justice to, so good on you for an entirely unique idea.

2 minds about the discarded jewellery shot mate. Get the concept. Perhaps because of that “scene” in Titanic when the jewellery is dropped into the ocean I have a pre-conceived idea of what you were trying to achieve. I like your thinking though and creativeness. Maybe a wee bit to much negative space but not much.

Last edited:
Back