weekly 52 in 2013: Brian of Bozeat : COMPLETE

hi Brian...

how quaint is that , perfectly on theme , great focus & sharp , lovely colors :clap:

Hi, Brian, Letter, cracking letterbox. Nice colours and tonal range. Nice and sharp. Crit, just a bit busy for me, especially with the door and windows.

Cheers.

Nice one Brian, a creative take on the theme and subject.
I find it easily recognisable but with a very abstract feel to it.

Couldn't look at it too long, makes my peepers go funny :LOL:

I happened across a group on Flickr a while back on ICM and did think at the time, "aren't they just bad photographs?!", but i guess it's the word 'intentional' that's the key word.

Anyways...I rather like this one. Just the right amount of movement to maintain definition and I do like how the centre is mor defined than the edges. B&W works well also.

Do you have any with mor symmetry ?

Cheers.

Letter is really nice, the composition, the tones and focus are spot in for me. If I had to pull something out of it, it would be the clipped pot at the bottom left, but that's being ultra picky.

Electric is one of those 50/50, toss a coin, Marmite things I guess, but I really like it. It's hard to offer any crit beyond that, but it's an interesting image. The zig-zaggyness (which I'm sure isn't actually a word), brings it even closer to the theme.

Hi Brian :)

Quick catch up...

Juxtaposition - Cracking Idea, really like that, monotone works well and the car key across the piano keys works well - Nice One :)

Letter - A nice bright image that, shame the pot on the step is clipped, other than that I really like the composition, nicely taken mate (y)

Electric - Oo Errrr... now that does make my eyes squiffy :D must say that works really well, and as Iain says I can still see what it is :)

I very much like your electric shot. Works well in mono and I think you have just the right about of movement. Having such a plain sky behind also helps it stand out.

Certainly an interesting effect - and absolutley spot on for point of rotation at the intersection of the four corners right up at the top. Imagine you got pretty dizzy spinning around taking these. :LOL:

How many did you shoot to get this one good one??

Also have to say I love your electric sunset on your flickr. Maybe a bit untidy with the branches but the colour is fantastical. (y)

And are all your bikes named after female popsters?? Is there a beyonce and a rhianna at the back of your garage too. :nuts:

Nice one Brian, a creative take on the theme and subject.
I find it easily recognisable but with a very abstract feel to it.

Couldn't look at it too long, makes my peepers go funny

Cheers (y)

I happened across a group on Flickr a while back on ICM and did think at the time, "aren't they just bad photographs?!", but i guess it's the word 'intentional' that's the key word.

Anyways...I rather like this one. Just the right amount of movement to maintain definition and I do like how the centre is mor defined than the edges. B&W works well also.

Do you have any with mor symmetry ?

Cheers.

Thanks, symmetry doesn't always work as well as you think it might, but I do have these two:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_of_bozeat/8222622314/in/set-72157632111321604/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_of_bozeat/8221461315/in/set-72157632110953810

Letter is really nice, the composition, the tones and focus are spot in for me. If I had to pull something out of it, it would be the clipped pot at the bottom left, but that's being ultra picky.

Electric is one of those 50/50, toss a coin, Marmite things I guess, but I really like it. It's hard to offer any crit beyond that, but it's an interesting image. The zig-zaggyness (which I'm sure isn't actually a word), brings it even closer to the theme.

Oh "zig-zaggyness" is SUCH a great word! - Thanks! - Know what you mean about the pot, but it was someones front door and I was stood there with a camera pointed at it, I thought that going in through the gate and adjusting the pots was a step too far!

Quick catch up...

Juxtaposition - Cracking Idea, really like that, monotone works well and the car key across the piano keys works well - Nice One :)

Letter - A nice bright image that, shame the pot on the step is clipped, other than that I really like the composition, nicely taken mate (y)

Electric - Oo Errrr... now that does make my eyes squiffy :D must say that works really well, and as Iain says I can still see what it is :)

Thanks DK, positive as ever, see my comment above regarding the pot. Hmmm... maybe photoshop could help me with that?

Electric, reminds me of a kolidascope....somewhat abstract for my liking, but I guess for others that will be the appeal

Thanks for your honesty Chris. All opinions are helpful. (y)

I very much like your electric shot. Works well in mono and I think you have just the right about of movement. Having such a plain sky behind also helps it stand out.

Thanks Nicky. (y)

Certainly an interesting effect - and absolutley spot on for point of rotation at the intersection of the four corners right up at the top. Imagine you got pretty dizzy spinning around taking these. :LOL:

How many did you shoot to get this one good one??

Also have to say I love your electric sunset on your flickr. Maybe a bit untidy with the branches but the colour is fantastical. (y)

And are all your bikes named after female popsters?? Is there a beyonce and a rhianna at the back of your garage too.

Hi Graham, Thanks for your comments, glad you like the pic. I promise you this was shot 3 of 4. It only takes about a quarter of a turn btw, and only your hands need to move. I usually try an exposure that would give me a ¼ or a ½ of a second or so for spin shots, about a second for pans and zooms, some people throw their cameras up in the air doing ICM! not me :eek:

Sorry to disappoint but Kylie & Christina are the only pop singers in my garage, the others have more generic bike names; "The Roo" and "Shrek the Trek"!

Nice idea Brian, interesting shot. Will have to give it a go sometime.

I like the idea very much Brian, there's a really interesting pattern created by the deliberate camera shake, but it's not so blurred that you can't immediately tell what it is.

Nice take on the theme. :)

Like your'electricity shot. Didn't realise what it was til i opened the photo fully though...i'm a bit slow sometimes. Its different take on the pylon shots.

Hi ay

ooohhh....my eye's can't look at that for long......tis a great abstract though...without being to abstract if that makes sense ??

& I would def have gone & knocked on the door to ask if I could move the pot a little...but only after I'd taken the original shot :D

thats a really nice take on the pylon theme nothing wrong with a bit of intentional movement :clap:

Brian, Letter is a lovely shot, cracking colours. I was going to challenge you (as I've been challenged) to put more of yourself into the shot, and then I see that with Electric you've done just that. Maybe not the shot you'd want on the wall, but bang on theme and creative, great stuff.

Looks like a good location for the light trails, very good job on the composition... And great trails captured too.

Can't help but think it's a bit too :thinking: bright maybe, or light, or yellow... dunno?? Not done any light trails myself so not too sure.

Do rather liek the starburst's from the street lamps though (y)

Liking your direction a lot Brian.
It's a different take on light trails which you don't see too often.

The composition works well being centrally positioned, the symmetry is pleasing.
Graham mentioned about the yellow hue to it but I feel this may be unavoidable due to the fact there is unlikely to be a roundabout in the country which wouldn't have street lighting for safety purposes.

Juxtaposition.....nice idea, I'm not that great on pp but if you could have replaced on of the black keys with the car key that could have worked too.

Letter...That is a lovely old post box, as for composition I'm not sure about the cut off door and window. I would have liked to see a wider shot to show more of the cottage.

Electric....It's nice to get the shot right that you had in your mind. Very good idea and the movement makes the tower look electric.

Direction.....A little too many light trails for me and not defined as much as I would like to see due to the street lighting. The Mini is perfect for the theme.

(y)

Direction - Nice shot and nice take on the theme! Have to laugh at the car going the wrong way!
Only crit for the shot would be tweaking the white balance to remove some more of the yellowness? Nice trails though!

Hi Brian :wave:

Very interesting use of light trails. Good lighting. I like the different colour trails. Good work (y)

I have done the best I can on the colour correction and I'm actually far happier with it now. Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments.

(What I meant was, I reworked it. So if your reading this you missed the original upload!)

Last edited:
re direction - great shot, especially the overall symmetry you got the location/cropping spot on.

Definitely tacky, quite correct nothing says I love you than a stuffed animal. Nice touch the amusement arcade too

Hi Brian

Tacky - on theme - good bright colours. Nice touch with the 'grab' indicating that it is amusement arcad too. Top horizontal and left vertical not quite spot on but lowest shelf is Ok so not quite sure how i would handle that.

Textbook camera holding stance (y)

I don't know what you've been drinking... Looks level to me <cough, now, cough> LOL - thanks mate!

PS. Transform: perspective ;)

:shrug: howdidimissthatffs? :shrug:

Last edited:
Edit for direction is a definate improvement over what I remmeber it looked like originally.

Tacky is well on theme - amazing how something only occurs to you once it's been uploaded somehwere... I keep meaning to finish editing, then wait fora a bit before posting up, but I never do, and how many times do I see something after that i should have spotted.

Great colours there - you couldn;t have avoided getting your refelection (or part of you) in shot - so you've done the next best thing - put yourself in the shot. Probably works better than without to be honest.

Nice one (y)

I'm a sucker for light trails, and I like the choice of location, giving some really pleasing shapes. The indicators mixed in with the tail lights works well to. Cracking bonus shots of the moron in the Mini too!

I like the idea for Tacky too. Good take on the theme, and the added interest of the self-portrait aspect is good.

Electric - Love them light trails, i'd be tempted to clone out the homebase building, but great to see the indicators, also liking the starbursts and unusual to see a roundabout version... really like it :clap:

Tacky - Spot on mate, as others have said great idea, and I like how your in a space on the top shelf (y)

Direction: Great first shot! Lots of interesting this to look at. As for the 2 mini shots, theres just some people that shouldnt be on the road!

Tacky: Great shot and idea!

Hi, Tacky indeed, although my daughter would like one. SP as well :D.

Well lit and nicley composted. Subtle vignette works well.

Cheers.

Back