weekly 52 in 2014 Cowboy

Hi, i like it but I don't, its scary very much a nightmare, I think it does what you have intended, really good :clap:

Dream / Nightmare: You've done a good job of this weeks theme there Mark. Like the balance between darker left and ligher right which really emphasises the clown, but most of all I like the instant and vivid impact this has on the viewer. Good work (y)

creepy scary cloen mask, perfectly positioned under the blanket / pillow, well lit, and I like teh darker side on the left of the shot too.

Good idea, well executed. Can't ask for more than that. (y)

Dream, love the lighting really well done.

Dream - on my I think I will have nightmares my self after looking at that image. That is one mighty scary looking clown, bang on theme for me my only crit would be a different quilt cover. Other than that it's a good take for the theme, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments, sorry it's been a while.

The eyes are just black mesh so I left them a little darker to try and hide this.

The mask is lit with a single flashlight through a rouge bender made into a tube ( a pringles tube would have worked the same I imagine).

The duvet cover is off my youngest, he's had it since he was a baby, I was thinking along the lines of under a childs bed.

I was wearing the mask :D, pre focused on the edge of the duvet and used the 10 second timer.

Vertical, close enough I s'pose.

Yum, does look yummy, was it sot straight and then rotated? As opposed to actually being shot rotated?

I love the angle, just the DOF does funny things to my eyes at this angle, and makes me want to tilt my head.

Nicely lit, good shadow and a hint of texture in the tablecloth(?) coming through too.

Hi Mark

Dream....more like bloomin night mare...just can't look at it too long or I'll not sleep ! Well shot , good angle ...but bloomin terrifying :clap:

Vertical....works for the theme , DOF good allowing enough to be seen to give context just needs a bit of work on the darker area of the verticals.....subtle HDR maybe ?

Yum...oh yes .....fun angle , well exposed ( apart from a bit of blue & rumpled material along the top ) with a shadow to ground it :clap: only crit would be to clone out the dark markings on the plate that just stick out form under that yummy bun

Hi Mark ...a quick catch up....dream /nightmare ....well it certainly fits your title that really is a very scary image. Vertical fits the theme ... I like the angle of the shot. Yum what's not to like about a yummy chocolate bun ...I do agree with Lynne though about that tiny bit of blue peeping out.

Hi Mark, vertical there is a pic there but maybe a different angle cant argue is not vertical though
can only agree with everyone regarding yum

Now that is a lovely shot Mark, she really does look like she's giving it her all there. Nice and sharp and she really pops from the BG even though it's obviously very close behind her.

Really don't want to be "that guy" who has to mention the pole.. So I won't. :)

As I think the expression, her hair, the outfit with the rank stripes on her arm more than hold your attention.

Now that is a lovely shot Mark, she really does look like she's giving it her all there. Nice and sharp and she really pops from the BG even though it's obviously very close behind her.

Really don't want to be "that guy" who has to mention the pole.. So I won't. :)

As I think the expression, her hair, the outfit with the rank stripes on her arm more than hold your attention.

Cheers for not mentioning the pole, it's the only thing that spoils it for me but I aint good enough to remove it :)

Vertical - on theme, so can move on to the next one!
Yum - cracking shot, really interesting angle and good lighting. I like the shallow DOF choice as so many food shots have a wider DOF covering the whole subject. I like it.
Loud - great capture. What pole? I'm too busy looking at the rather attractive lady in uniform with loud lipstick... ;)

Loud yes great capture. I really like the way you've framed/cropped this ... showing just enough below the waist so we can see how she leans forward as she sings her heart out, and we see her jacket in its entirety, any more and I think you'd have to show full length. Plus you've given that right hand plenty of space.

Last edited:
Photo Editing ... I make it up as I go along! This may not be perfect but it took no time at all in Paint.Net using a method I've not thought of before.

cowboys.jpg

Yummy - one of mi favourite cream buns
rryumy.gif
love the angle, dof, good detail
rryumy.gif
(y):D........:thinking: if anything for me, the pattern on the plate just showing under the front of the bun is a tad distracting :)

Loud- yep, she looks loud :D great shot and very eye catching (y)........again, for me, the bg is a little unfortunate but obviously can't be helped

Great shot for Loud - she certainly looks like she's singing her heart out!

Hi Mark,
Vertical... fits the theme
Yum... a very yummy bun
Loud......
Hi Mark .... a super shot for loud ... a great composition ... you can really tell she is giving that song her all.
I am sure that you could do the cloning ... it isn't difficult... if I can do it anyone can .... you just need a bit of time and patience :)
I agree with Susie great stuff, give the cloning a try ;)

Last edited:
Hi Mark
Vertical - not that bad, certainly spot on. I like the blurred b/g - prob just needs to have been a sunnier day to bring out those spots of colour more, without altering the blur
Yum - on theme and looks scrummy.
Loud - cracking shot - has all the elements of a good picture to me - very arresting. (y)(y)

Catch up time........

Dream - Or should I say nightmare. Like the feel you given this one. The tail off of the light is good with the right exposure on the mask

Vertical - Hits the theme but the interest factor isn't there for me (sorry). Maybe a close up showing more detail in the rust would improve things?

Yummy - Nice lighting + nice DoF + nice composition + nice cake = yummy. Good shot. I could see this on a menu or blown up advertising the products

Loud - Looks like a 40's weekend. You've caught the expression of the singer well for the theme. The bright red lipstick is a good touch which works better on the original than the less saturated edit

Hi again Mark :)

Vertical - That works for me, the crop helps the context and the theme but looks like you didn't have the best of conditions... but box well and truly ticked :)

Yummy - Now that does look yummy, not quite so sure of your angle, but the detail is great and really liking the high key look, the edge of the plate fades beautifully :)

Loud - I was going to mention the pole but see your edit, well caught energy/power from the singer, would love to go to a themed day like this (y)

Back