Affinity Photo 2.0. 9th November?

.... Visit the Affinity home page - It's all very clearly set out and includes FAQs.
I'm maybe being dim, but does this explain how an upgrade from existing versions bought from the Apple store works?

I've seen in the past that because of difficulties of upgrading through the store, they just offer everyone the same discount on the new price, but I can't find it explained anywhere.

I'm tempted to just buy a new Universal license direct from Serif. Buying direct from Serif wasn't available for Mac users with V1.

Which is quite good, if you don't have it, and are thinking about it, considering until the launch of V2 the V1 was £49.99

TBH There is nothing really to interest me enough to up-grade.
I'll save the £35.99

I use to use C1 pro 22 a lot, but as I have ON1 Raw 2023 I will start ti use that now with AP.

I just checked on iPad App Store to install my original version for iPad and its not there anymore?

I'm maybe being dim, but does this explain how an upgrade from existing versions bought from the Apple store works?

I've seen in the past that because of difficulties of upgrading through the store, they just offer everyone the same discount on the new price, but I can't find it explained anywhere.

I'm tempted to just buy a new Universal license direct from Serif. Buying direct from Serif wasn't available for Mac users with V1.

I have used V1 on my Imac for quite a while since I got it from Serif.

I use to use C1 pro 22 a lot, but as I have ON1 Raw 2023 I will start ti use that now with AP.
CS5 & ACR are my go to editing program, but there are a few things affinity ( V1) does better, focus stacking for one.
DXO Nik collection for HDR & Topaz for noise reduction.

Last edited:
POTENTIAL PROBLEM

I can't find the installation directory!!!

I need to find the shortcut so that I can open a photo in it from other applications, but as yet can't find it.

Can't do any more now, will have to look again tonight or tomorrow.

I will pay for it today then let you know, as I will get it.
I think we are talking at cross purposes :-(

The web site clearly says that V2 is available directly from Serif.

What I can't find on the web site is anything about upgrading from V1 bought from the Apple Store.

My explanation of "why" I ended up buying through the Apple Store is a bit of a red herring.

I think we are talking at cross purposes :-(

The web site clearly says that V2 is available directly from Serif.

What I can't find on the web site is anything about upgrading from V1 bought from the Apple Store.

My explanation of "why" I ended up buying through the Apple Store is a bit of a red herring.

Understand now, yes when I first got it for my mac, it was from their site and not the apple store.

Can't really see anything I am going to need. :thinking:

I just checked on iPad App Store to install my original version for iPad and its not there anymore?
Same, I'm looking for it and the listing is nowhere to be found. I'll give it a go since they offer a 30 day trial. Really don't know what, if anything I'd need it for but it's always highly regarded as the best layered editor for the iPad.

Edit - If you search for Serif Labs on the iPad App store it shows up there for some reason. Downloading now

Last edited:
Same here

I'm happy with the way it is so no problem here.
I'm more worried that Microsoft will do an update and Affinity won't patch the software should there be a 'mismatch'

Last edited:
I'm more worried that Microsoft will do an update and Affinity won't patch the software should there be a 'mismatch'
My editing software is on W7 so not an issue for me :)
But I take your point.

To reply to myself, I've now found the answer in the Serif forums.

It is as I suggested.

The discount price for everyone, is the same as the upgrade price. So I am assuming that the discounted price will now be on the Apple store, and it makes no difference if you buy on the Apple store or buy from Serif.

Yes, I purchased mine from the Apple store and the discount is applied :)

I have AP v1 that came free when I bought an xRite Passport and it has been updated by each 'dot' release and I use it for some of its tools.

In regard to AP v2 I will likely upgrade but I am tempted by the £89.99 price of entry to get all three applications ~ I can see some future use of Publisher but a little unsure how much use I will get out of 'designer'.....though can one create something (logo/graphic & text) to then add into a format for inclusion into a Photoshop greetings card template? If so that too would be useful in future :)

PS looking ahead re: full suite at £89.99........if the v3 takes as long as v1 to v2 then I would get some years out of the suite before the need arises to upgrade again :)

PPS has anyone sussed out if the whole suite is three separate installers i.e. they cand installed as needed rather than all 3 needing to installed to use just one :thinking:

Last edited:
To be honest I’m the same as Cobra and Gramps I probably won’t update for now as the tools I use don’t look like they have changed and I use DXO for Raw conversion anyway

Well I was looking forward to this with the hope they would allow you to create your own camera colour profiles with X-Rite as it has been requested for years now but alas nope nothing, I held off upgrading my On1 to 2023 but now looks like I will have to go there, shame really as I like Affinity photo as it's close to although not at the level of P/S. I no I am only talking one process that not all will use but after years of requesting the option to use the Colorchecker it seems to not be on the drawing board.

Just checking the specs for AP v2 it mentions this Hardware Acceleration requirment

Direct3D level 12.0-capable card

Now, DXDIAG tells me my nVidia GTX1050Ti is Direct3D enabled but nothing more in regard tp level 12.0 :thinking:

Edit ~ with a pointer from another forum I have now confirmed my GPU meets Direct3D level 12 ~ phew!

Last edited:
I don't see anything different in the RAW processing.
Menu looks the same, still seems to do the same job (where I want a lot of adjustment, still have to go to Raw Therapee)

Don't see any difference on HDR merging.

Overall it seems to be a bit slower, but I don't have a fast machine (Ryzen 5)

They do install as 3 separate programmes.

I have AP v1 that came free when I bought an xRite Passport and it has been updated by each 'dot' release and I use it for some of its tools.

In regard to AP v2 I will likely upgrade but I am tempted by the £89.99 price of entry to get all three applications ~ I can see some future use of Publisher but a little unsure how much use I will get out of 'designer'.....though can one create something (logo/graphic & text) to then add into a format for inclusion into a Photoshop greetings card template? If so that too would be useful in future :)

PS looking ahead re: full suite at £89.99........if the v3 takes as long as v1 to v2 then I would get some years out of the suite before the need arises to upgrade again :)

PPS has anyone sussed out if the whole suite is three separate installers i.e. they cand installed as needed rather than all 3 needing to installed to use just one :thinking:
.... It is 3 separate installers which you can download simultaneously.

Similarly to you, I currently only use 1 (Publisher) of the 3 but can easily see myself using both the other 2.

Whether someone uses only one of the Affinity trinity or all three, I think it's very good value for money.

Well I was looking forward to this with the hope they would allow you to create your own camera colour profiles with X-Rite as it has been requested for years now but alas nope nothing, I held off upgrading my On1 to 2023 but now looks like I will have to go there, shame really as I like Affinity photo as it's close to although not at the level of P/S. I no I am only talking one process that not all will use but after years of requesting the option to use the Colorchecker it seems to not be on the drawing board.
.... If Affinity Photo has noise reduction I bet it won't be anything like as good as ON1 NoNoise which is far better than Topaz and also more integrated. ON1 2023 is even better, they really are pulling out all the stops to become a major player. I uninstalled Adobe Photoshop a year ago and have never missed it. And Affinity Publisher is a very adequate replacement for Adobe InDesign for my needs nowadays.

The worst thing about ON1 is their constant marketing emails - Their frequency is nearly as bad as Olympus / OM System!

Reactions: TG.
I don't see anything different in the RAW processing.
Menu looks the same, still seems to do the same job (where I want a lot of adjustment, still have to go to Raw Therapee)

Don't see any difference on HDR merging.

Overall it seems to be a bit slower, but I don't have a fast machine (Ryzen 5)

They do install as 3 separate programmes.
Big difference is the non-destructive raw editing.

You can embed the raw file or link the raw file in the output menu so once you move to the photo persona, you can jump back to the develop persona and tweak the raw processing settings. I don't know if they have improved the actual demosaicing capability

You can embed the raw file or link the raw file in the output menu so once you move to the photo persona, you can jump back to the develop persona and tweak the raw processing settings. I don't know if they have improved the actual demosaicing capability
That could be useful for the rare time I want to do that, but I wouldn't say it is going to make a huge difference to me.

That could be useful for the rare time I want to do that, but I wouldn't say it is going to make a huge difference to me.
Nor to me, but it has been something people have regularly complained about.

I do virtually all of my PP in Affinity either on a Mac or iPad Pro.

Does any one know yet if it supports "Apple Pro Raw" files? as the version I'm using now opens them but without the Pro Raw part ie as a normal RAW file.

*Cough* ....

I received an email from Affinity offering me 50% Off the already discounted price of the Universal v2 holy trinity In other words, a price to me of £44.99 instead of £89.99.

But I had already paid the £89.99 and downloaded the Universal threesome plus a Licence key. However, when I told them they immediately credited my account with £45. Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what I call excellent customer service - As I then told them when I said thankyou, they walk-their-talk. YAY!!! Niiice one!!

Now to install and have a play in Affinity Publisher.

However, when I told them they immediately credited my account with £45. Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what I call excellent customer service
And a right result it was too (y)

You can embed the raw file or link the raw file in the output menu so once you move to the photo persona, you can jump back to the develop persona and tweak the raw processing settings.
.... That feature can actually be very useful. There have been occasions when I have looked at my p-p efforts in the cold light of day later and wondered WTF was I thinking of to have done that! If I have done secondary (to C1) edits in ON1 I never Save the file to save storage space - I shoot thousands of images.

But if I RAW convert in Affinity Photo it will need to be better at it than C1 which is asking a lot perhaps.

*Cough* ....

I received an email from Affinity offering me 50% Off the already discounted price of the Universal v2 holy trinity In other words, a price to me of £44.99 instead of £89.99.

But I had already paid the £89.99 and downloaded the Universal threesome plus a Licence key. However, when I told them they immediately credited my account with £45. Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what I call excellent customer service - As I then told them when I said thankyou, they walk-their-talk. YAY!!! Niiice one!!

Now to install and have a play in Affinity Publisher.
Do you have dirt on someone, on the inside?? :LOL:

Same, I'm looking for it and the listing is nowhere to be found. I'll give it a go since they offer a 30 day trial. Really don't know what, if anything I'd need it for but it's always highly regarded as the best layered editor for the iPad.

Edit - If you search for Serif Labs on the iPad App store it shows up there for some reason. Downloading now
I went into my purchased apps ,found it and downloaded,also installed v2 to compare. Be interested in your observations as I’ve not used it much in the past but such a good price it’s hard to resist.

I went into my purchased apps ,found it and downloaded,also installed v2 to compare. Be interested in your observations as I’ve not used it much in the past but such a good price it’s hard to resist.
Had a 10 minute play with it this afternoon. Haven't a clue what I'm doing, I've only ever really edited in LR. Unless I'm doing something wrong the Raw editor is absolutely horrible compared to LR but again I don't really know what I'm doing.

The only thing I'd use it for is stacking if I ever have a go at some startrail photography again over the winter, so even for that it's probably worth a tenner. I do get PS as part of my Adobe subscription but never use it and the iPad app is basically useless.

I don't know very much about ON1 raw 2023. Reviews that I've seen all tend to conclude that the top three still show subtle differences. compared to the rest. But I'm not convinced how much these things matter all that much in practice as long as there is a basic level of quality.

I don't know how well it works with Affinity Photo. Do you really need AP with On1? I thought it combined parametric plus pixel editing.

This site is worth looking at, if you aren't familiar with it:

.... Yes, that's my perception too - That C1, ON1, LR are considered the top three RAW converters. Things may have changed as technology never stands still but I remember seeing some very comprehensive RAW conversion comparisons between C1 and LR and C1 came out on top. It is why I started using C1 and not LR when Apple stopped supporting their own Aperture RAW app. ON1 wasn't really a player back then but have made huge leaps forward since their 2021 version.

So I am now wondering how AP's v2 RAW conversions compare with ON1. Given C1's pedigree background of being the editing software for their Phase One professional medium format cameras, I expect C1 to stay ahead. But all three top players are good enough for my needs and I judge images only using my naked eye.

I may not need Affinity Photo with ON1 but because I have both it allows me to easily and directly edit an image file (pixel) from within Affinity Publisher. I think that each of these apps have slightly different things to offer.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that link you posted.

Back