Affinity Photo 2.0. 9th November?

:(
I'd call that strong arm spamming
.... I think so too and I am talking to people I know at OM Systems this afternoon but the matter will have to be passed up the line of command. But I don't see why dividing subscription types can't be eventually introduced. We'll see what they say.

Last edited:
I have now spoken with the people I know at OM Systems and they have only been able to confirm that unsubscribing to the OM Newsletter cancels the 6 months extra warranty which subscribing to activates.

It gets worse in that the only way to preserve the extra 6 months warranty when unsubscribing is to BUY a further 3 years of Extended Warranty!

I now have an email address to take my feedback further.

This all surprises me because OM Systems have seamlessly continued the second-to-none technical support and caring about the customer which they have always given.

Thank goodness that Serif / Affinity are not so far behaving like this.

Nothing as yet, and the website was down a short while ago?Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 07.44.50.png

I think that those of us who are subscribed by email will receive notification sometime during the course of this morning, perhaps midday? They are UK based and won't want to miss their announced date 9th November internationally.

I'm not sure why but I feel quite excited. Probably because the Affinity suite interface is very enjoyable to use. I hope it remains the very good value for money that it has been.

Can everyone please tell me it isn't worth buying, even if it's good, only just got my grubby mitts on C1 22/23 :LOL: ...

I must stop reading stuff online :headbang::headbang::LOL:
Raw converter is still poop, will that do Gav?

Can everyone please tell me it isn't worth buying, even if it's good, only just got my grubby mitts on C1 22/23 :LOL: ...

I must stop reading stuff online :headbang::headbang::LOL:
Although there is some (maybe considerable) overlap, they are really two different tools aimed at doing two different things.

Affinity Photo is a pixel editor and can do far more sophisticated editing than C1, in terms of layers, cloning/healing, composites, Panos HDR, stacking and "fixing" things. As well as integrating with Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher. All three were designed from the ground up as an integrated package for the graphics industry.

C1 is a parametric editor designed around raw conversions and photo file management. Although not everyone will agree, many will argue that C1, LR/ACR and DXOLab, form a top tier of raw processing quality, and it's unlikely that even an improved raw processing engine in AP 2, will match C1.

Many people combine C1 with Affinity Photo (or Photoshop) and switch between them depending on task. For complex edits I find the logic of layers in AP or Photoshop easier to work with than C1, even though I primarily work in C1.

You can round trip from C1 to AP by using the "Edit With" right click on an image in C1, which will allow you to create a PSD or TIFF in C1, which C1 will then open in AP for editing, Saving the file in AP (or closing AP) will save changes to the PSD/TIFF already in C1. If you are using a C1 catalogue, you may need to sync the catalogue to see the new file. With C1 sessions, the PSD/TIFF automatically appears

P.S. I know C1 now has pano and HDR, but they are pretty basic compared to those found in AP.

P.P.S I should add that pretty all everyday needs can be covered by C1, and adding a pixel editor like AP isn't needed by everyone.

Last edited:
"Full RAW development. Shoot in RAW and enjoy an end-to-end 32-bit experience. Bring out all the details and control those finer corrections to take that perfect shot to the next level"

I hope that means the Raw Developer is better than before.

Hi all, I currently have the original affinity photo which I use solely for all my photo editing.
Is it worth me upgrading to v2? I’m undecided and for the price at the moment I’m thinking why not but would I gain much. Ps it would just be windows only.
Many thanks.

Although there is some (maybe considerable) overlap, they are really two different tools aimed at doing two different things.

Affinity Photo is a pixel editor and can do far more sophisticated editing than C1, in terms of layers, cloning/healing, composites, Panos HDR, stacking and "fixing" things. As well as integrating with Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher. All three were designed from the ground up as an integrated package for the graphics industry.

C1 is a parametric editor designed around raw conversions and photo file management. Although not everyone will agree, many will argue that C1, LR/ACR and DXOLab, form a top tier of raw processing quality, and it's unlikely that even an improved raw processing engine in AP 2, will match C1.

Many people combine C1 with Affinity Photo (or Photoshop) and switch between them depending on task. For complex edits I find the logic of layers in AP or Photoshop easier to work with than C1, even though I primarily work in C1.

You can round trip from C1 to AP by using the "Edit With" right click on an image in C1, which will allow you to create a PSD or TIFF in C1, which C1 will then open in AP for editing, Saving the file in AP (or closing AP) will save changes to the PSD/TIFF already in C1. If you are using a C1 catalogue, you may need to sync the catalogue to see the new file. With C1 sessions, the PSD/TIFF automatically appears

P.S. I know C1 now has pano and HDR, but they are pretty basic compared to those found in AP.

P.P.S I should add that pretty all everyday needs can be covered by C1, and adding a pixel editor like AP isn't needed by everyone.
..... That is probably the best ever description of Affinity and C1 plus others that I have ever read! - Anywhere! Cheers Graham!

Personally I always start off in C1 by using its excellent reputation RAW conversion engine, make some local adjustments and then 'Edit with' as a TIFF in ON1 (now 2023) on a round-robin (nothing to do with me) trip back to C1.

The point of me describing my workflow is that so far I have never used Affinity Photo but only Publisher and Designer. But now that C1 2023 has become so expensive (I am retired from work) I am considering using ON1 2023 instead of C1.

One question perhaps is how well does ON1 RAW's conversion engine compare with C1's. ON1 has progressed in leaps and bounds over the last 2 years.

Also, does ON1 play well with Affinity Photo? I assume a plug-in relationship. ON1 plays very well with Luminar AI as a 'Filter' but it's really a plug-in.

Can anyone who’s bought it or trialing( busy at mo so will do the trial ) is the highlights and shadows much diff from vers one.?

Hi all, I currently have the original affinity photo which I use solely for all my photo editing.
Is it worth me upgrading to v2? I’m undecided and for the price at the moment I’m thinking why not but would I gain much. Ps it would just be windows only.
Many thanks.
There is a 30 day trial

Here we go!

Does anyone know if they have updated any of the editing tools especially the focus stacking tool ?

..... That is probably the best ever description of Affinity and C1 plus others that I have ever read! - Anywhere! Cheers Graham!

Personally I always start off in C1 by using its excellent reputation RAW conversion engine, make some local adjustments and then 'Edit with' as a TIFF in ON1 (now 2023) on a round-robin (nothing to do with me) trip back to C1.

The point of me describing my workflow is that so far I have never used Affinity Photo but only Publisher and Designer. But now that C1 2023 has become so expensive (I am retired from work) I am considering using ON1 2023 instead of C1.

One question perhaps is how well does ON1 RAW's conversion engine compare with C1's. ON1 has progressed in leaps and bounds over the last 2 years.

Also, does ON1 play well with Affinity Photo? I assume a plug-in relationship. ON1 plays very well with Luminar AI as a 'Filter' but it's really a plug-in.

I don't know if it helps, but I use the plugins in AP and they work a treat with ON1.

Thank you! Great write up!

Brilliant explanation, and exactly how I use the C1/AP combo.

Many thanks.
.... Firstly it makes no difference whether Windows or Mac because Affinity support each equally.

They have published information about v1 and v2 differences - This should help you :

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it to you but v2 will certainly be much improved and there will be further updates included in the price until v3 comes along sometime in the future.

Affinity / Serif are a very forward looking company who are very keen to provide what users want.

You can download a Trial - The ball is in your court mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
That's rather disappointing, currently no support for the Lumix 9mm/1.7
Raw converter seems better at first glance so that's an important improvement
*edit* raw still isn't great, ACR doing a much better job to my eye

Last edited:
I don't know if it helps, but I use the plugins in AP and they work a treat with ON1.
.... Thanks Dave!
Does that mean you primarily work in AP and then access ON1 via plug-ins? Or vica-versa?
So it's a round trip of either :

1) - AP > ON1 > AP

2) - ON1 > AP > ON1

I don't know very much about ON1 raw 2023. Reviews that I've seen all tend to conclude that the top three still show subtle differences. compared to the rest. But I'm not convinced how much these things matter all that much in practice as long as there is a basic level of quality.

I don't know how well it works with Affinity Photo. Do you really need AP with On1? I thought it combined parametric plus pixel editing.

This site is worth looking at, if you aren't familiar with it:

Is the price an offer or just the current normal price?
From their site
The Universal Licence will normally be available for £144.99 – a £155.92 saving on buying all the apps on all operating systems individually. However, Serif is currently offering a huge 40% launch discount making the whole V2 suite available for a remarkable £89.99 one-off cost with no subscription.

It is 35.99, then after it goes to 59.99.
Which is quite good, if you don't have it, and are thinking about it, considering until the launch of V2 the V1 was £49.99

TBH There is nothing really to interest me enough to up-grade.
I'll save the £35.99

Back