Affinity

I have just downloaded the free trial of Affinity. So far I am rather impressed. I clearly have a lot to learn - it does not work the same way as Photoshop Elements (and nor should it!). It is working well with Lightroom (on an iMac). I shall have another play tomorrow when I am not so tired but I already think I shall buy it.

Thanks john but unfortunately Affinity doesn't appear in any list or drop-down menu of software so I can't choose it!

Although it is installed on my PC and I can open it up....:(

Hi,

I'm no longer subscribed to Lightroom so probably cannot test for you but in the link items two and three say select application and using the file dialogue browse to the affinity executable, that method should work for anything so affinity should work too

I'm not sure I fully understand the terminology there. But I have searched for affinity.exe in file explorer with no success.

the only other slightly puzzling thing is that when I click on choose in "add external editor" the only programmes that come up are those with a standard brown folder icon. There must be others with individual icons. I wonder if there's a connection.

The Affinity Photo executable (the main program) should be somewhere like:

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe

Thanks john but unfortunately Affinity doesn't appear in any list or drop-down menu of software so I can't choose it!

Click Windows START button and type 'Affinity' in the search programs and files panel. In the list Affinity Photo will appear, right click on the wording and scroll down the menu table to 'SEND TO'. There you will find Desktop (create shortcut) click it and youre DONE:banana:

Last edited:

It won’t automatically show up in you list. You need to browse the the file location. LR doesn’t know where it’s installed.

I’ve been trailing on1 this week to and seem to be coming round it one you know how it works it not far off from LR

We’ve already released two updates since we first launched, and we’ve got another coming very soon. This will include a much improved algorithm for adjusting shadows, highlights and clarity on RAW images, opening and editing files in place directly from the Files app, a new solo layer view mode, improved iOS 11 drag and drop functionality and tons of other useful performance enhancements.

New update for ipad coming very soon Affinity Photo

Me and the wife have Adobe CC on a monthly payment, but don't use it anywhere near enough to buy again when our plan ends, so thinking of the switch as its a one off payment, does Affinity update to the latest when there is an update or do you have to pay again.
I bought it when it came out which I think is nearly 3 years and all the updates, major etc have been free.

I've used the search function on my entire PC and it can't find it!:confused:

The files are there somewhere. When you open windows explorer ...COMPUTER > DRIVE C: > PROGRAM FILES > AFFINITY > AFFINITY PHOTO ...does nothing exists?

Been checking macphun luninar today

We’ve already released two updates since we first launched, and we’ve got another coming very soon. This will include a much improved algorithm for adjusting shadows, highlights and clarity on RAW images, opening and editing files in place directly from the Files app, a new solo layer view mode, improved iOS 11 drag and drop functionality and tons of other useful performance enhancements.

New update for ipad coming very soon Affinity Photo

I bought it when it came out which I think is nearly 3 years and all the updates, major etc have been free.

In one post you answer as if you are speaking as a representative of Affinity and in the other you answer as if you are a regular customer.

I'm curious as to exactly what your relationship with Affinity is?

In one post you answer as if you are speaking as a representative of Affinity and in the other you answer as if you are a regular customer.

Yes that struck me as odd, too. Come clean. We'll believe in you until we have reason not to.

a customer. I should have put quotation marks as the statement was taken from their website,
thanks for pointing it out

NP Brian,funny thing is the developers are based in Nottingham ,only 23 miles away but thats as near to the company i am,
I just checked and it was launched in july 2015,i bought it boxing day 2015 so its 2 1/2 years ive had it but only now am i getting into it,probably
getting the ipad version got me inspired i think

The files are there somewhere. When you open windows explorer ...COMPUTER > DRIVE C: > PROGRAM FILES > AFFINITY > AFFINITY PHOTO ...does nothing exists?

No it's definitely not there. Whilst checking it out I did something called "reset" (W10?) and now it has disappeared completely.:clap:

I'm going to try their customer services.

No it's definitely not there. Whilst checking it out I did something called "reset" (W10?) and now it has disappeared completely.:clap:

I'm going to try their customer services.
Can you still access Affinity directly? I mean from a desktop icon or the Start menu (if Windows still has Start). If you can, Affinity is still there and will appear in an Explorer search. If not still accessible, you need to reinstall Affinity.

Okay, from the hassles I'm going to presume jerry12953 installed via the Microsoft Store.

If done that way (as I have) it is more complex - in honesty if Serif supply it via store or indeed on Windows perhaps they should take a moment to look at how people use it and add that function as other plugin\supports do.

Follow the instructions here to gain access to the store apps : https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

I know all the Mac types will whoop with laughter that its complex, but its a security feature and on the whole users aren't supposed to mess about in there - or do you just press enter a lot until you get root access ;)

Anyway gentle poking out of the way, once you have access you can use the other link I gave you on page one.

For reference my photo.exe lives in this folder: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto_10602.97.0.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0\Program -- I suspect the "__844sdzfcmm7k0" bit will be different on yours/

I did fire up Lightroom to fully test for you, but the "edit in" option is no longer available to me so could only get as far as setting it as an external editor.

Oh, and the reset option you used if its the one I think it is is basically doing a factory reset on you PC (without loosing docs etc) and is designed for when you;re in real trouble, not just having minor issues.

Last edited:
Why would one buy anything through the Windows App Store?
At the time it was the only discounted version, plus additional cashback for essentially the same product.

I truth the first thing I've bought from there, but auto updates could be useful, save checking - I could ask why not?

Last edited:
Had the trial version and just bought it as for less than £40 it's got to be worth a punt. Seems to work well with CaptureOne once configured correctly.
The masks are taking a bit to get used to as they appear to work slightly different to PS, but it might just be a case of understanding how to make them work the same way. I set up separate layers with level adjustments for dodge and burn in PS, and use a mask on each layer to create non destructive dodge and burn. I've checked the Affinity tutorials and have managed to get something similar working. Just a different way of thinking and/or terminology.
All in all, looks like a decent package that gives photographers what they need without a lot of the bloat of PS.

Edit - sorted out the masks. Almost have the same workflow as PS.

Last edited:
Can you still access Affinity directly? I mean from a desktop icon or the Start menu (if Windows still has Start). If you can, Affinity is still there and will appear in an Explorer search. If not still accessible, you need to reinstall Affinity.

No Affinity has disappeared completely now. Reinstall Affinity from where, though? it isn't in the downloads folder either.

Why would one buy anything through the Windows App Store?

As JohnN says above, it was 25% off. Anyway I'm a bit of a numpty when it coes to this sort of thing.......:confused:

Okay, from the hassles I'm going to presume jerry12953 installed via the Microsoft Store.

If done that way (as I have) it is more complex - in honesty if Serif supply it via store or indeed on Windows perhaps they should take a moment to look at how people use it and add that function as other plugin\supports do.

Follow the instructions here to gain access to the store apps : https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

I know all the Mac types will whoop with laughter that its complex, but its a security feature and on the whole users aren't supposed to mess about in there - or do you just press enter a lot until you get root access ;)

Anyway gentle poking out of the way, once you have access you can use the other link I gave you on page one.

For reference my photo.exe lives in this folder: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto_10602.97.0.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0\Program -- I suspect the "__844sdzfcmm7k0" bit will be different on yours/

I did fire up Lightroom to fully test for you, but the "edit in" option is no longer available to me so could only get as far as setting it as an external editor.

Oh, and the reset option you used if its the one I think it is is basically doing a factory reset on you PC (without loosing docs etc) and is designed for when you;re in real trouble, not just having minor issues.

John, thanks very much for seeking that out. It does look a bit daunting though. Wish I'd bought it direct from Serif, but it wasn't on offer from them then.

No Affinity has disappeared completely now. Reinstall Affinity from where, though? it isn't in the downloads folder either.
I assume you do not have a CD so you would download a second time from where you originally downloaded it. It is not uncommon to need to do that - hard drive fails and such require it as does upgrading your computer. Can't see why that should be hard to do.

John, thanks very much for seeking that out. It does look a bit daunting though. Wish I'd bought it direct from Serif, but it wasn't on offer from them then.

It's simple, honest, just follow the steps to get to the store apps, then the other guide and you'll be sorted

Back