All things related to Apple phones & tablets

So guys, you've helped me out in the past with a couple of sync problems between my Mac (Mojave now) and iPhone (13.5.1). I've recently noticed that, although my Mac contacts have found their way to the phone, my iPhone contacts are not getting through to the Mac! Any idea why or how to fix?

I had a similar problem with Calendar entries in the past, finally tracked that one down to the iPhone being on a different (small c) calendar! I'm hoping there's a similarly simple explanation...
No idea really but very often sync problems can be solved by signing out of your Apple accounts on all devices and then logging back in. Bit of a pain if you have several :(.

No idea really but very often sync problems can be solved by signing out of your Apple accounts on all devices and then logging back in. Bit of a pain if you have several :(.
Might be worth a try, thanks. There's only the two...

Right, that was more of a pain than I expected, particularly on the Mac. I took care to check the boxes for "keep a copy of calendars and contacts on your Mac?", which did cause some difficulty, but got there eventually. Signed out on both devices, and restarted both devices, before signing in again. Mac was red hot for a while synchronising... the result now is that I have no contacts at all on the Mac!!! Not quite sure what to try now...

Right, that was more of a pain than I expected, particularly on the Mac. I took care to check the boxes for "keep a copy of calendars and contacts on your Mac?", which did cause some difficulty, but got there eventually. Signed out on both devices, and restarted both devices, before signing in again. Mac was red hot for a while synchronising... the result now is that I have no contacts at all on the Mac!!! Not quite sure what to try now...
Bugger, sorry I didn’t notice “Mojave”. I found Incompatibilities between Mojave and iOS 13 when I first tried it (on beta) but in my case it was Reminders which had a new incompatible version that ’deleted’ all Reminders on iOS 12 & Mojave and didn‘t recover until Catalina came out. I don’t think it affected Contacts or Calendars.

Presumably you still have Contacts & Calendars if you sign into iCloud on the Mac and iOS.

I‘ve never done "keep a copy of calendars and contacts on your Mac?", I just sync with iCloud.

Maybe you have sync turned off in Settings on one or both devices?

Are you sure there are no contacts on the Mac, possibly you are not showing iCloud Contacts or All Contacts?

[Bother,] sorry I didn’t notice “Mojave”. I found Incompatibilities between Mojave and iOS 13 when I first tried it (on beta) but in my case it was Reminders which had a new incompatible version that ’deleted’ all Reminders on iOS 12 & Mojave and didn‘t recover until Catalina came out. I don’t think it affected Contacts or Calendars.

Presumably you still have Contacts & Calendars if you sign into iCloud on the Mac and iOS.

I‘ve never done "keep a copy of calendars and contacts on your Mac?", I just sync with iCloud.

Maybe you have sync turned off in Settings on one or both devices?

Are you sure there are no contacts on the Mac, possibly you are not showing iCloud Contacts or All Contacts?

Happily I've just re-started Contacts on the Mac, and it has re-populated itself. Still no contact cards from the iPhone though. Oh well it was worth a try, thanks for your help anyway.

Considering AFAIK Mojave is still a supported Mac OS, I'm quite cross at the incompatibilities. I can't access my iPhone photos by connecting the phone to the Mac via the USB cable, nor do backups that way. It's a Pain In The Neck...

I keep telling myself I'll definitely start learning C1Pro Real Soon Now... it was my major lockdown task! Still un-completed, indeed barely started... So I guess really, this is all down to me. :(

I had this happen some time ago. I went into my iCloud Settings and turned off Contacts then turned them back on again. It was some time ago and I can't remember, but I think I might have turned off the iPhone and then turned it back on again, but it worked for me.

Settings, [Your account], iCloud, Contacts

If that doesn't work for you then perhaps this article might have a solution.

Happily I've just re-started Contacts on the Mac, and it has re-populated itself. Still no contact cards from the iPhone though. Oh well it was worth a try, thanks for your help anyway.

Considering AFAIK Mojave is still a supported Mac OS, I'm quite cross at the incompatibilities. I can't access my iPhone photos by connecting the phone to the Mac via the USB cable, nor do backups that way. It's a Pain In The Neck...

I keep telling myself I'll definitely start learning C1Pro Real Soon Now... it was my major lockdown task! Still un-completed, indeed barely started... So I guess really, this is all down to me. :(
Sometimes things are just slow to sync and sort themselves out eventually. I have no idea if it’s all on the same servers but they are currently updating billions of iPhones worldwide which might slow other things down???

I had this happen some time ago. I went into my iCloud Settings and turned off Contacts then turned them back on again. It was some time ago and I can't remember, but I think I might have turned off the iPhone and then turned it back on again, but it worked for me.

Settings, [Your account], iCloud, Contacts

If that doesn't work for you then perhaps this article might have a solution.
I tried turning iCloud contacts off and on again on the iPhone and said yes to the Merge question, no improvement.

The article you pointed to (thanks) doesn't seem to help as the case is different (it's about contacts on the iPhone going missing).

I've just realised I can login to iCloud via my web browser (Safari). Just done that, and it confirms that the missing iPhone contacts never made it to iCloud. So Mac contacts are going Mac -> iCloud -> iPhone, but iPhone contacts are going nowhere! Oh well...

I tried turning iCloud contacts off and on again on the iPhone and said yes to the Merge question, no improvement.

The article you pointed to (thanks) doesn't seem to help as the case is different (it's about contacts on the iPhone going missing).

I've just realised I can login to iCloud via my web browser (Safari). Just done that, and it confirms that the missing iPhone contacts never made it to iCloud. So Mac contacts are going Mac -> iCloud -> iPhone, but iPhone contacts are going nowhere! Oh well...
But that is a setting. Settings/passwords & accounts/iCloud/iCloud/Contacts on or off.

But that is a setting. Settings/passwords & accounts/iCloud/iCloud/Contacts on or off.
Yes, that's the bit that I've turned off and on again in the iPhone.

Just tried it again. Turned off contacts on iPhone in iCloud settings. Chose "Keep on my phone" (because not all the contacts are in iCloud). Turned iPhone off, then on again. "What would you like to do with existing local contacts on your iPhone?" Choose Merge. Backed up iPhone to make sure it's connected properly to iCloud.

Sometimes things are just slow to sync and sort themselves out eventually. I have no idea if it’s all on the same servers but they are currently updating billions of iPhones worldwide which might slow other things down???
A possibility! I'll wait a wee while and see... Thanks again...

One more thing... I', on the iCloud free plan and it's almost full. Half of it is photos (from the iPhone only), the other half is a backup. I've un-checked most apps from the backup, but mostly they don't seem to take up much space. I did notice that Photos is on the backup too. If the Photos are on iCloud anyway, do I really need them in the iCloud backup as well? Thanks

One more thing... I', on the iCloud free plan and it's almost full. Half of it is photos (from the iPhone only), the other half is a backup. I've un-checked most apps from the backup, but mostly they don't seem to take up much space. I did notice that Photos is on the backup too. If the Photos are on iCloud anyway, do I really need them in the iCloud backup as well? Thanks
I pay for extra storage so nowhere near full. I‘m never entirely sure with Photos since there are various settings ... PhotoStream, Optimise, Download originals and so on. One thing is clear iCloud Photos is a convenience but is NOT a backup and there are restrictions on backing up the local Photos Libraries too — Apple says don’t use Time Machine if P Library is on an external drive. Most say Time Machine is not really a backup either :(.

I’m not quite sure what you refer to as “the other half is a backup” iCloud Drive is separate from Photos I thinkm now I’m confused :(.

Ah! Reading through so many replies, I forgot that you originally said that iPhone contacts aren't making it to the Mac. Apologies. But the same solution occurs to me: switch off Contacts on the Mac, then turn them off again. System Preference, Apple ID, iCloud, Contacts. Sometimes, just sometimes, the IT Crowd solution works.

Just one other thing — “Groups“, have you checked what Groups are ticked got showing? AFAIK you can only make & delete Groups on the Mac but they show/hide on iOS.

Just one other thing — “Groups“, have you checked what Groups are ticked got showing? AFAIK you can only make & delete Groups on the Mac but they show/hide on iOS.

Wow, this does look promising. The two sets of Groups don't quite overlap. For some reason, the iPhone has a group called "All Gmail" which is not present on iCloud or the Mac. If I uncheck All Gmail on the iPhone, the set of contacts that shows appears to match the set on iCloud and the Mac.

Note, I don't use Gmail on the iPhone (no mail there at all), but I do on the Mac!

Having learned this, where do I go next? Do I need to add the All Gmail Group to the Mac somehow, or change the iPhone contacts to a different Group?

I've tried the former, creating an All Gmail Group on the Mac, and adding a contact to it...

Odd. The Group has appeared on iCloud, but there's nothing in it even after requesting a refresh. Also I have another Group which is populated on both the iPhone and Mac, but exists empty on iCloud! And yet another Group that is populated on all 3...

Wow, this does look promising. The two sets of Groups don't quite overlap. For some reason, the iPhone has a group called "All Gmail" which is not present on iCloud or the Mac. If I uncheck All Gmail on the iPhone, the set of contacts that shows appears to match the set on iCloud and the Mac.

Note, I don't use Gmail on the iPhone (no mail there at all), but I do on the Mac!

Having learned this, where do I go next? Do I need to add the All Gmail Group to the Mac somehow, or change the iPhone contacts to a different Group?

I've tried the former, creating an All Gmail Group on the Mac, and adding a contact to it...

Odd. The Group has appeared on iCloud, but there's nothing in it even after requesting a refresh. Also I have another Group which is populated on both the iPhone and Mac, but exists empty on iCloud! And yet another Group that is populated on all 3...
Mac Contacts sometimes seem to make Groups without asking, I have 2 called “untitled group” (ie same name) that only contain my card.

Adding/Sharing contacts from Gmail is in Settings/Passwords & Accounts/“various Gmail accounts” where you can choose to add mail, contacts, calendars, notes from each a/c. I don’t use, and do not have any contacts in Gmail so I have it turned off on my Gmail/Outlook etc accounts — I have rather a lot of them some dating back to when you had to wait for an invitation :(.

Looking for an iOS weather app with forecast maps with good resolution in both time and location that goes out at least a day.
I've got a few apps with forecast maps but none have what I want
- Met office. Forecasts 1 day but steps by hour, so when you have short heavy showers is not that useful.
- Rain today. Good detail but only forecasts one hour
- Dark sky. Good detail but only forecasts one hour
- MeteoEarth. Forecasts five days in approx 10 minutes steps but very low resolution.
any suggestions?

I thought ask here about apple care. Is it worth adding?

We have had numerous apple products over the years but haven’t bought any apple products new since our first iPad (circa 2011-2012). We looking at upgrading my wife’s phone to the new SE 2020. It’s about time her iPhone 5 was replaced. The new SE looks like the perfect option for her.

I thought ask here about apple care. Is it worth adding?

We have had numerous apple products over the years but haven’t bought any apple products new since our first iPad (circa 2011-2012). We looking at upgrading my wife’s phone to the new SE 2020. It’s about time her iPhone 5 was replaced. The new SE looks like the perfect option for her.
That’s a hard one! If you’ve had lots of Apple products, never bought Apple Care and never had a problem, you are winning and might decide just to take the chance again. I had two iPads fail last year after never having problems with iPads/iPhones and both were replaced under wattanty.

Since you get 2 years warranty against defects it's really the accidental damage text you are insuring for. I guess only you can decide :(.

That’s a hard one! If you’ve had lots of Apple products, never bought Apple Care and never had a problem, you are winning and might decide just to take the chance again. I had two iPads fail last year after never having problems with iPads/iPhones and both were replaced under wattanty.

Since you get 2 years warranty against defects it's really the accidental damage text you are insuring for. I guess only you can decide :(.
I think we have been quite lucky as everything has just worked without a problem. I didn’t know it covered accidental damage.

I think we have been quite lucky as everything has just worked without a problem. I didn’t know it covered accidental damage.
I think so, best to check! Apple has one of the best explanations of U.K. warrant law (after avoiding it for years), see:

”Carry-in or postal service for all devices; express replacement service for Apple Watch, iPad and iPhone; or onsite service for desktop computers3
AppleCare+ is an insurance product which provides up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch or Apple Watch, each subject to an excess fee.”

Note XS FEE!

Last edited:
Bit of a lost cause, but thought I'd ask here just in case anyone has any good ideas.

My Daughters iPad Pro won't charge (tried several different cables/plugs etc). I assume it won't charge as it's ran out of charge and no lights etc come on when trying to start it up.

Any other suggestions as to trying to see if it's totally expired? Out of warranty, so repair is more likely if financially viable.

Just wanted to cover all the bases with regards to force start etc. before looking at the options.

Bit of a lost cause, but thought I'd ask here just in case anyone has any good ideas.

My Daughters iPad Pro won't charge (tried several different cables/plugs etc). I assume it won't charge as it's ran out of charge and no lights etc come on when trying to start it up.

Any other suggestions as to trying to see if it's totally expired? Out of warranty, so repair is more likely if financially viable.

Just wanted to cover all the bases with regards to force start etc. before looking at the options.
Have you tried DFU mode? The particular combinations of button presses seem to vary between various web sites but they seem to work in my experience.
Here‘s Apples official one:

I have also used https://www.imyfone.com/ios-system-recovery/ which has a free trial.

Actually in my case it was nothing to do with the batteries both an iPad Air 3 and iPad Pro 10.5 failed at the Apple logo stage and ultimately they had to be replaced. But in you case DFU Mode May report some information via iTunes etc.

I think https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ (Free trial) will report the state of the battery but I *guess* the iPad has to be running for it to work :(.

Have you tried DFU mode? The particular combinations of button presses seem to vary between various web sites but they seem to work in my experience.
Here‘s Apples official one:

I have also used https://www.imyfone.com/ios-system-recovery/ which has a free trial.

Actually in my case it was nothing to do with the batteries both an iPad Air 3 and iPad Pro 10.5 failed at the Apple logo stage and ultimately they had to be replaced. But in you case DFU Mode May report some information via iTunes etc.

I think https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ (Free trial) will report the state of the battery but I *guess* the iPad has to be running for it to work :(.
Thanks! Will definitely give this a go :)

Just managed to get her iPad sorted and back up and running, thanks to you @sphexx.

Tried it with my iMac but of course not having iTunes on there makes it nigh on impossible.

Luckily I’ve never updated the software on my old MB Air and iTunes picked it up straightaway and using the DFU routine got it all back working.

Thanks again, my Daughter is very happy (& relieved) - me too, was anticipating a large bill for repair or replacement :cool::cool::cool:

Just managed to get her iPad sorted and back up and running, thanks to you @sphexx.

Tried it with my iMac but of course not having iTunes on there makes it nigh on impossible.

Luckily I’ve never updated the software on my old MB Air and iTunes picked it up straightaway and using the DFU routine got it all back working.

Thanks again, my Daughter is very happy (& relieved) - me too, was anticipating a large bill for repair or replacement :cool::cool::cool:
I‘m pretty sure you can still do it on the current MacOS without iTunes, it just uses the Finder or summat. Glad to hear it worked !!!

I‘m pretty sure you can still do it on the current MacOS without iTunes, it just uses the Finder or summat. Glad to hear it worked !!!
Thanks again for the clues. I did try it on my iMac but it worked out far more simple with good old iTunes.

Thanks again for the clues. I did try it on my iMac but it worked out far more simple with good old iTunes.
Yes, I only posted that for reference in case someone else finds the thread later in similar circumstances :).

Not sure if its common knowledge on here already, but apple have opened the watch 7 beta to the public and not just developers.

Oh dear, this is a pity, where will we get our targeted ads from to ”improve our user experience”?:

Facebook is warning developers that privacy changes in an upcoming iOS update will severely curtail its ability to track users' activity across the entire Internet and app ecosystem and prevent the social media platform from serving targeted ads to users inside other, non-Facebook apps on iPhones.

I don't know if anyone can help/advise me on this.,

When I add tags to a snap that I'm uploading to Flickr or just adding more tags to one that is already on Flickr using my old windows computer or my 2019 MacBook Pro I just enter the title in the box etc, or if its two or more words such as Black Box or Camera Lens etc, I just enclose the two or more words in quotation marks ie "Black Box" or "Camera Lens" and all is entered correctly.

When I try to do the same thing on my iPad Pro this doesn't work ie it still enters them as two or more separate words but just with a quotation mark at one end of the word ie "Black and then Box" separately or "Camera and then Lens" separately.

Anybody else get the same problem, and if you do how do you get round it and enter the words as you want to?

Any help would be much appreciated.,

George.

Last edited:
It might be to do with a feature called Smart Punctuation. If it's turned on (which I think it is by default) then when you type a double-quote mark ("), it turns it into curly quotes (“ or ”, depending on whether it's before or after a word). You might not be able to see the difference in this comment, due to the font used, but this article shows the difference.

This might not be what's causing it in your case but when I turned on Smart Punctuation a moment ago and tried adding “silver birch” to one of my photos, Flickr added the tags “silver and birch” as two separate tags, each with a quote mark before or after it. If this is what you're seeing then you can go into Settings, General, Keyboard and turn off Smart Punctuation. I don't know why it's the default as only writers are likely to use it.

This is an oddity. Spent the day & night in hospital and on NHS Wi-Fi (that I’ve used plenty of times before) Apple Mail (iOS 13) would not collect iCloud mail & Find My didn’t work. I could collect mail using another client (Spike* in my case). I’m not sure if Mail was collecting Gmail. Everything else was fine.

I think the reason is that NHS Wi-Fi was an unsecured network. We used to have to provide an email address and login but not now, it just connects — could be remembering my previous logins though. Anyway it’s an argument for having more than one emai client and email address!

*Spike btw is very interesting. U.K. software and has a “chat” type interface which is very good for social/family stuff. I haven’t explored it potential in other ways.

It might be to do with a feature called Smart Punctuation. If it's turned on (which I think it is by default) then when you type a double-quote mark ("), it turns it into curly quotes (“ or ”, depending on whether it's before or after a word). You might not be able to see the difference in this comment, due to the font used, but this article shows the difference.

This might not be what's causing it in your case but when I turned on Smart Punctuation a moment ago and tried adding “silver birch” to one of my photos, Flickr added the tags “silver and birch” as two separate tags, each with a quote mark before or after it. If this is what you're seeing then you can go into Settings, General, Keyboard and turn off Smart Punctuation. I don't know why it's the default as only writers are likely to use it.

Very many thanks for that Gary, Smart Punctuation was in fact turned on so I unticked it and it worked perfectly when I just tried to add a tag to one of my snaps on Flickr.(y)(y)

George.

You could try accessing your mail via https://icloud.com but if the network is insecure even that might not work.
Yes, I thought of that after I posted the above. However I was only there overnight :) and could access iCloud mail with Spike, though that didn't solve the "Find My" problem which is odd if Apple are relying on phone thieves to have secured networks :)

Yes, I thought of that after I posted the above. However I was only there overnight :) and could access iCloud mail with Spike, though that didn't solve the "Find My" problem which is odd if Apple are relying on phone thieves to have secured networks :)

It kind of makes sense. Find My was probably working in that if your phone had been stolen, its location would be noted and available to the Find My app, but the Find My app wouldn't allow *you* access to that information because *you* weren't on a secure network.

The Find My iPhone system doesn't work only via the network the iPhone is connected to. If a thief had your phone and connected it to the internet, I'm guessing that its location would be noted, possibly along with the fact that it was currently on an insecure network. But the iPhone also communicates with other nearby iPhones via Bluetooth so that its location is known even when it's not connected to the internet. As long as one of the other phones goes onto the internet sooner or later, your phone's location will be passed back to Apple. But it looks like you, as the registered owner of the iCloud account associated with the device, would have to be on a secure network in order to allow Find My to reveal the phone's location to you.

It kind of makes sense. Find My was probably working in that if your phone had been stolen, its location would be noted and available to the Find My app, but the Find My app wouldn't allow *you* access to that information because *you* weren't on a secure network.

The Find My iPhone system doesn't work only via the network the iPhone is connected to. If a thief had your phone and connected it to the internet, I'm guessing that its location would be noted, possibly along with the fact that it was currently on an insecure network. But the iPhone also communicates with other nearby iPhones via Bluetooth so that its location is known even when it's not connected to the internet. As long as one of the other phones goes onto the internet sooner or later, your phone's location will be passed back to Apple. But it looks like you, as the registered owner of the iCloud account associated with the device, would have to be on a secure network in order to allow Find My to reveal the phone's location to you.
You are probably right. I could & did use my phone mobile data to check if email worked (which it did) but wouldn’t work as hotspot for the iPad but maybe just a glitch.

Back