All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Public beta iOS 14 out, prob iPadOS too, haven’t checked, will probably try on ‘spare’ today.

Yep, all the 14s, watch etc.

iOS 14 installed here on spare iPad & iPhone but my Apple ID ( I never learn :) ) and all seems to be working normally and it hasn’t mucked up my other machines. In fact it seems a bit quicker (snappier :) ) on iPad Air 3.

Looking for some help. I've accidentally started to download my iCloud photos to my MacBook which wouldn't ordinary be too much of a problem, just a PITAS, but I'm currently on holiday and its using my phone data which is my hotspot. Thats over 100gb of images o_O

Cant seem to stop it, I've logged out of my iCloud account and then back in again and its just restarted the download. I need the MacBook for work, so just disconnecting from the phone is not an option. Anyone any idea how to stop an in progress download?

Last edited:
Looking for some help. I've accidentally started to download my iCloud photos to my MacBook which wouldn't ordinary be too much of a problem, just a PITAS, but I'm currently on holiday and its using my phone data which is my hotspot. Thats over 100gb of images o_O

Cant seem to stop it, I've logged out of my iCloud account and then back in again and its just restarted the download. I need the MacBook for work, so just disconnecting from the phone is not an option. Anyone any idea how to stop an in progress download?
Not really. Turn off “Photos” using iCloud in Photos Preferences?

I have a curious fault with an iPad Pro 10.5. Sometimes, after being unused for some hours, the screen is very, very dim on ‘waking’. Nothing seems to brighten it and the settings show at max! Each time it’s cured by powering down & restarting ... so far. Anyone else seen this this?

Not really. Turn off “Photos” using iCloud in Photos Preferences?
Its not photos as such, but rather a folder on iCloud Drive which contains some of my photos. I've turned off iCloud Drive on the MacBook, see if that stops it when I turn it back on.

Its not photos as such, but rather a folder on iCloud Drive which contains some of my photos. I've turned off iCloud Drive on the MacBook, see if that stops it when I turn it back on.
Yes, I did wonder, all the Apple wording around photos, Photos, iCloud, iCloud Drive,sync & download is very confusing :(

iPadOS & iOS 14 are out, at least if you have the public beta installed, I guess the others will be along shortly following Apples revolutionary and innovatory and magical revelation of a elastic Apple Watch band today :) (actually sounds quite useful if it works).

iPadOS & iOS 14 are out, at least if you have the public beta installed, I guess the others will be along shortly following Apples revolutionary and innovatory and magical revelation of a elastic Apple Watch band today :) (actually sounds quite useful if it works).

Just been released.

Just been released.
FWIW, I’ve had the Public beta installed for some time on phone & pad with no obvious problems and it hasn’t affected my main pad & phone on 13 or Mac on Catalina, as 13 caused me some problems with devices remaining on 12 etc.

Updated to iOS 14 last night with no dramas but before the update, I had a widget which showed my favourite phone numbers which I found very useful as I could use it without having to unlock the phone. Especially useful these days when wearing a mask. That widget doesn't appear to be available anymore unless I'm missing something.

Updated to iOS 14 last night with no dramas but before the update, I had a widget which showed my favourite phone numbers which I found very useful as I could use it without having to unlock the phone. Especially useful these days when wearing a mask. That widget doesn't appear to be available anymore unless I'm missing something.

I wonder if they've fiddled around with permissions so you have to make sure the widget has rights to appear on the lock screen and read the recent call list?

I wonder if they've fiddled around with permissions so you have to make sure the widget has rights to appear on the lock screen and read the recent call list?

It doesn't need to read the recent call list, just the favourites. I only have 2 listed, Sue and mum & dad.

Trying it out on the iPad mini before I try the more used Air or phone ... I hate change! :tumbleweed:

I have been looking for the alleged new Apple “Translate” app but no sign of it here on iPhone 7+ or iPad Air 3. Maybe it‘s hardware relate, though the Air 3 is very recent? The google app is called “Translate” too which is not good.

I have been looking for the alleged new Apple “Translate” app but no sign of it here on iPhone 7+ or iPad Air 3. Maybe it‘s hardware relate, though the Air 3 is very recent? The google app is called “Translate” too which is not good.

a search in the app library and both Apple and Google varieties appeared. I have an iPhone 11 but I thought apps were iOS dependent rather than phone.

Answ
Answering my own question, in the iPhone it is in the “App Library” in the reference & reading (or similar) group - but nowhere else that I can find, searching in Settings brings the Google Translate app, weird.

Answ

Answering my own question, in the iPhone it is in the “App Library” in the reference & reading (or similar) group - but nowhere else that I can find, searching in Settings brings the Google Translate app, weird.

Just found Apple Translate on page 2 off my apps which the Google version on page 4 so I'm guessing it adds them to the first space it finds.

a search in the app library and both Apple and Google varieties appeared. I have an iPhone 11 but I thought apps were iOS dependent rather than phone.
Thanks, beat me to it. The icon is tiny in my App Library and it took me some YouTubing to find what it looked like :(.

Still on translating, Safari is suppose to have a translate in the “Reader” (I see illustrations of it) drop down but not here even on the phone. The Translate app appears in the Settings/Passwords, Mail ... group next to “News” on the phone but is definitely not there on the iPad. They say ios14 was released “unexpectedly” so I guess there’s work ongoing. :(

And now 14.2! Did Apple release 14.0 too soon?

Not here it ain’t, even on my iPad that was on the beta & got 14.0 a day early :(.
Edit to say, oops, belatedly realised that link referred to Betas :(.

Last edited:
I’ve just got the Apple Watch 6. I currently use the 4, but I couldn’t be doing with missing out on new features!

I’ve just got the Apple Watch 6. I currently use the 4, but I couldn’t be doing with missing out on new features!
The thing that puts me off getting one (not just 6) is the battery life, how do you get on with it?

The “App Library” on the phone is really useful, particularly the alphabetical search, — never understood why that wasn’t there before. Would be even more use to me if it was on the iPad.

I suspect this is a simple action to perform but being a bit dim lol with modern tech I need help to clarify that my phone will be 100% clear of my personal details before selling it!

It’s an iPhone 6S.

I’ve removed the SIM card but now have no idea how to reset it back to factory settings and no I don’t have a manual ( it was purchased 2nd hand) .

Can some advise me how to proceed please.

I suspect this is a simple action to perform but being a bit dim lol with modern tech I need help to clarify that my phone will be 100% clear of my personal details before selling it!

It’s an iPhone 6S.

I’ve removed the SIM card but now have no idea how to reset it back to factory settings and no I don’t have a manual ( it was purchased 2nd hand) .

Can some advise me how to proceed please.

Go to Settings>General>Reset. Then you'll get various options, I believe Erase all content & settings is the one you want.

The thing that puts me off getting one (not just 6) is the battery life, how do you get on with it?

I never had an issue with my 4. I’d charge it for an hour after I got up and that was it.
The 6 seems to be going down faster, but I have been fiddling with it a lot and it’s the cellular version I got.

I never had an issue with my 4. I’d charge it for an hour after I got up and that was it.
The 6 seems to be going down faster, but I have been fiddling with it a lot and it’s the cellular version I got.
Ah, that makes sense,thanks.it’s the thing (charging & battery life) that all these smart ‘watchy’ gadgets skirt around :(.

Go to Settings>General>Reset. Then you'll get various options, I believe Erase all content & settings is the one you want.

Thanks Marc, I’ll look into that when I get home.

Updated my series 5 watch and it’s soooooo much snappier.
Can’t decide if I need to update to the 6 or not. Might try a sales thread for this 5 which it is under warranty until April.

As mentioned elsewhere I have recently acquired an iPhone 8 and have in the last few days taken several images with it. I am struggling to find a way of transferring my images from the phone to the PC as I prefer to do any editing required on here. I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some hints as to how to do it easily and quickly. I have done it once but it was so complicated and, would you believe, I've forgotten what I did.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

As mentioned elsewhere I have recently acquired an iPhone 8 and have in the last few days taken several images with it. I am struggling to find a way of transferring my images from the phone to the PC as I prefer to do any editing required on here. I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some hints as to how to do it easily and quickly. I have done it once but it was so complicated and, would you believe, I've forgotten what I did.

Thanks in advance,

Howard
I’d probably use iCloud myself if I had to but there are several alternatives via USB cable here:

My Photo processing Software is ACDsee Ultimate 2020 and they have a app for the Iphone that transfers the files easily.
Perhaps you can find an app for you PC software Photo Prog. that will do the same?

My Photo processing Software is ACDsee Ultimate 2020 and they have a app for the Iphone that transfers the files easily.
Perhaps you can find an app for you PC software Photo Prog. that will do the same?
That link I posted says you can do it in the default Windows photos app (sorry, don’t know name or Win version ;))

Back