All things related to Apple phones & tablets

A few new iPads launched today along with new Apple TV.

iPadOS 16 will be released on October 24th.
Massive price hikes for the iPads. The iPad Pros in particular are a bit crazy now. A 256Gb 12.9" iPad Pro, with the pencil and silly Magic Keyboard, costs £2 less than a 14" MacBook Pro.....

A Core i7 Surface Pro 9, with the same storage, more RAM and a desktop OS is well over £100 less, even including the keyboard and pen. I love my iPad, and I'd be interested in upgrading but these prices are mad for the experience on offer. They have to bring MacOS to the iPad Pros soon surely.

Last edited:
Massive price hikes for the iPads. The iPad Pros in particular are a bit crazy now. A 256Gb 12.9" iPad Pro, with the pencil and silly Magic Keyboard, costs £2 less than a 14" MacBook Pro.....

A Core i7 Surface Pro 9, with the same storage, more RAM and a desktop OS is well over £100 less, even including the keyboard and pen. I love my iPad, and I'd be interested in upgrading but these prices are mad for the experience on offer. They have to bring MacOS to the iPad Pros soon surely.
Yeah in the past week they have hiked the prices on all iPads..air went up £100, mini £90 and 9th gen ipad £70 just a random hike on these

the new gen 10 ipad has increased over the last model release price £180 for us in the uk while the US it was equivalent to £120 at current exchange rates
The new keyboard is also £100 more than last gen and is the only one that can be used on the new model.
New smart case went up £40 compared to the last model
First gen Apple pencil from 2014 went up £20

iPad Pro is up £150 over last release which isn’t unexpected as that was similar with the MacBook Air

Over all couldn’t be a worse time to buy an iPad

Since installing "IOS 16" on my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" virtually every time I I switch it on from being completely off it asked for my "Apple ID". Sometimes I tap the number in other times I just click cancel, either way the phone works normally. Anyone else getting this problem or does anyone know how to stop this from happening ?

Since installing "IOS 16" on my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" virtually every time I I switch it on from being completely off it asked for my "Apple ID". Sometimes I tap the number in other times I just click cancel, either way the phone works normally. Anyone else getting this problem or does anyone know how to stop this from happening ?

I never turn my phone off.

Had the same issue, believed to be a bug, also did it on my watch, doesn’t seem to do it anymore after the last update

Had the same issue, believed to be a bug, also did it on my watch, doesn’t seem to do it anymore after the last update

Thank you kindly Neil, appreciate your reply.

Probably a bit of a numpty question for those that know.

I am 100% unknowledgeable with regards to the Apple watch and integration with an iPhone. I am just about to order an Apple watch series 8 and I want to use it as an occasional camera remote for my iPhone photography. Now I understand from @garryknight on another thread that there is an app called camera remote, so far so good. What I'm unsure about is does this app or any other watch apps download first to my iPhone and then link up to the watch or does camera remote or any other watch apps download direct to the watch via wi-fi or via the iPhone etc, etc.

Probably a bit of a numpty question for those that know.

I am 100% unknowledgeable with regards to the Apple watch and integration with an iPhone. I am just about to order an Apple watch series 8 and I want to use it as an occasional camera remote for my iPhone photography. Now I understand from @garryknight on another thread that there is an app called camera remote, so far so good. What I'm unsure about is does this app or any other watch apps download first to my iPhone and then link up to the watch or does camera remote or any other watch apps download direct to the watch via wi-fi or via the iPhone etc, etc.

The Camera Remote is built-in to WatchOS, just setup and go (y)

That's It.,

One "Apple Watch Series 8 45mm" with the case & strap of my choice all ordered and payed for. Just looking forward to it arriving now. :):)

iPadOS 16 doesn’t seem to have broken anything … yet :)

Stage Manager (if ON) disables corner gestures which I use all the time for Quick Notes :( . Maybe there’s a workaround, early days!

Interestingly, turning on Stage Manager ‘cures’ 2 of my apps. One a local authority waste bin app that stopped working on iPad (though fine on phone) and the other is my security TP-LINK security camera app that didn’t recognise the orientation of the iPad, ie if pad rotated, app showed updside down. Common fault om apps designed originally for phones I think.

It’s definitely Stage M as turned they revert to previous lack of functionality!

Quick Notes (& Screenshot) swipes still work with Apple Pencil — at least I assume so as they work with cheap 3rd party one.

Quick Notes (& Screenshot) swipes still work with Apple Pencil — at least I assume so as they work with cheap 3rd party one.
Quick notes does still work. You can't seem to resize a window in Stage Manager with the Pencil though.

I'm trying to love it, but it's so weirdly implemented that it's a bit of chore. I hate the way it resizes windows and arbitrarily hides the dock for you. Just odd behaviour that makes it frustrating to use. It does prove that a windowed environment has a place on the iPad but the implementation needs serious work

Quick notes does still work. You can't seem to resize a window in Stage Manager with the Pencil though.

I'm trying to love it, but it's so weirdly implemented that it's a bit of chore. I hate the way it resizes windows and arbitrarily hides the dock for you. Just odd behaviour that makes it frustrating to use. It does prove that a windowed environment has a place on the iPad but the implementation needs serious work

Stage Manager has been widely condemned in the tech community as it's just not a well thought-out solution. I can see what they were trying to achieve, but Apples implementation of it is pretty shocking tbh

Stage Manager has been widely condemned in the tech community as it's just not a well thought-out solution. I can see what they were trying to achieve, but Apples implementation of it is pretty shocking tbh
What is shocking about it? I've been using it for a week now. I was reticent at first, but it really has grown on me.

What is shocking about it? I've been using it for a week now. I was reticent at first, but it really has grown on me.

Disappearing dock, resizing seems to work correctly 50% of the time and I’ve also encountered keyboard response issues when it’s enabled. Wasn’t a great experience tbh

Haven't had any of these issues although, admittedly, I've used SM on my mac far more than on my iPad over the last week.

Oh for sure SM is more useful on the mac, although I do find the W11 equivalent to be better. As for the iPad version, that’s a no from me :LOL:

When connected to hands free, I try to make a call or ask it to read an incoming text and it says "you'll have to unlock your iPhone first" what's the point? Anyone have an idea how to stop this?

When connected to hands free, I try to make a call or ask it to read an incoming text and it says "you'll have to unlock your iPhone first" what's the point? Anyone have an idea how to stop this?
I ask Siri to read the text or make the call and it works without any issues. Are you connected via apple car play or some other app?

Like a lot of things in iPadOS currently, it's almost a good idea but it's just done in a weird way. SM doesn't behave how you'd expect it to, that's why people hate it. Why, when you open a new app when you already have a couple of windows open, does it send it to a totally new workspace? That's not what you'd expect it to do. Why does it automatically resize windows for you? Again, not what you'd expect or want it to do. They just need to simplify it, it's overcomplicated and just behaves in weird ways. I don't get the thinking behind a lot of what it does or why it does it. That said I'm leaving it turned on for now. Like a lot of iPad things, I think I just need to get used to how it works as it's different from a desktop OS.

I think it's part of a larger problem that Apple doesn't quite know what it wants the higher end iPads to be, and they're scared of taking away Mac sales if they actually allowed the iPad Pro software to use the power of the hardware. But how many people have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro anyway? I feel like it's one or the other for most people.

But how many people have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro anyway? I feel like it's one or the other for most people.

I have both, but don’t see the iPad Pro as a productivity device for my use-case.

Web-browsing, shopping, media consumption, basic emails etc… yes

Actual work? No, I have a PC and a MacBook for that purpose, and the iPad in its current form is far from capable of being to replace those devices

I have both, but don’t see the iPad Pro as a productivity device for my use-case.

Web-browsing, shopping, media consumption, basic emails etc… yes

Actual work? No, I have a PC and a MacBook for that purpose, and the iPad in its current form is far from capable of being to replace those devices
I have a work provided W10 laptop for my actual job, the iPad Pro is my personal device and the only real work I do on it is photo editing, which it's brilliant for. But yes if I had to do anything more than that then I feel like I'd run into the limitations of iPadOS pretty quickly. It does amaze me how Apple are so willing to stick their head in the sand and ignore basically their entire user base over some issues. People have said for years, since at least 2018, that the iPad Pro software doesn't come close to matching the hardware but Apple still refuse to sort it out.

I have a work provided W10 laptop for my actual job, the iPad Pro is my personal device and the only real work I do on it is photo editing, which it's brilliant for. But yes if I had to do anything more than that then I feel like I'd run into the limitations of iPadOS pretty quickly. It does amaze me how Apple are so willing to stick their head in the sand and ignore basically their entire user base over some issues. People have said for years, since at least 2018, that the iPad Pro software doesn't come close to matching the hardware but Apple still refuse to sort it out.

I have a Surface Pro and Surface Book for my photo-editing which suit me perfectly. Full Photoshop and Lightroom with a fantastic touchscreen.

In all fairness I’ve not tried photoshop and Lightroom on the iPad in quite some time so no doubt things have improved

I have a Surface Pro and Surface Book for my photo-editing which suit me perfectly. Full Photoshop and Lightroom with a fantastic touchscreen.

In all fairness I’ve not tried photoshop and Lightroom on the iPad in quite some time so no doubt things have improved
Lightroom on the iPad is brilliant, basically the full desktop app now. The Surface Pro has always tempted me, if I was going to buy a new device today it would probably be a Surface Pro 9

Well my "Apple Watch Series 8" arrived yesterday (two days early) and I naturally spent yesterday evening setting it up and generally playing with it. When I said setting it up I didn't realise it would be just so easy as it virtually did everything itself once it was paired with my iPhone. Probably spend some time today exploring the many features but so far very pleased with my purchase. :) :)

Well my "Apple Watch Series 8" arrived yesterday (two days early) and I naturally spent yesterday evening setting it up and generally playing with it. When I said setting it up I didn't realise it would be just so easy as it virtually did everything itself once it was paired with my iPhone. Probably spend some time today exploring the many features but so far very pleased with my purchase. :) :)
Has it told you to stand up yet?

Lightroom on the iPad is brilliant, basically the full desktop app now. The Surface Pro has always tempted me, if I was going to buy a new device today it would probably be a Surface Pro 9
Have the newest selection things that were just added to desktop also been added to mobile LR?

I’m still stuck on what to buy for editing and daily use.
Had ordered a m2 MBA but all reviews said it needs 16gb ram for anything other than web browsing. And the price gets silly with any add ins.
So had planned to return it, but my daughter mba screen just died so she is getting it.

I like the idea of an iPad and was going to go for the m1 pro 12.9 but it’s disappeared from all shops on release on the m2 which doesn’t look to offer much bar £200 increase in price.
Then when u add the keyboard and pen it’s on or more than a 14 MBP.

But realistically bar some editing and by that I mean amateur and nothing major .
all the device will be used for is movies and web. No PC/ laptop type work at all.

Have the newest selection things that were just added to desktop also been added to mobile LR?

I’m still stuck on what to buy for editing and daily use.
Had ordered a m2 MBA but all reviews said it needs 16gb ram for anything other than web browsing. And the price gets silly with any add ins.
So had planned to return it, but my daughter mba screen just died so she is getting it.

I like the idea of an iPad and was going to go for the m1 pro 12.9 but it’s disappeared from all shops on release on the m2 which doesn’t look to offer much bar £200 increase in price.
Then when u add the keyboard and pen it’s on or more than a 14 MBP.

But realistically bar some editing and by that I mean amateur and nothing major .
all the device will be used for is movies and web. No PC/ laptop type work at all.
The content aware fill stuff is there. The AI Masking (select sky, select subject) is there as well. Select Background isn't there, but you can just Select Subject and then invert the mask to achieve the exact same thing. The absolute newest masking stuff that's been added to desktop LR, where you can select just a person's eyes or skin, isn't there yet but it will probably come in a future update. Most stuff that launches into the desktop app gets to iPad LR eventually. LR on the iPad is also blazingly fast, absolutely no lag or waiting for things to load at all, even browsing Raw files. I only have a 2018 model and I don't feel it needs any more power for photo editing.

I don't have a keyboard for my iPad and I don't miss one really. I do have the Apple Pencil and I'd say that's essential for photo editing. Using it on the iPad is a very fast and very fun way to edit your images. If all you're going to do is photo editing and some light general computing and content consumption then I'd say an iPad Pro is a great buy. Argos seem to have M1 12.9" models still in stock. Apple won't sell them anymore but I'd imagine other retailers still have plenty of stock.

You'll read loads online about how iPads are a pain to use, it's hard to get files on and off them etc and it's not really true anymore. They're different, iPadOS doesn't behave like a desktop OS and that can cause a bit of friction until you realise how it works. iPads work fine with external drives now, just plug it in and you can do everything you can on a PC. There are lots of hidden gestures and features that you kind of have to discover on your own.

M1 and newer are also getting proper external monitor support before the end of the year.

Edit - in stock at Argos. 256GB is fine for photo editing as LR stores everything in the cloud anyway - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8349639?clickPR=plp:3:59

Last edited:
Like my cameras I own to many mobile phones, one IPhone 11 and the IPhone 12 Pro. My question is does anyone use this thing they call Keychain as I want to start using my 12 Pro again ?
Yes, it is brilliant.

Back