All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I very much enjoyed the impressionistic photos in this article about Marina Sersale. She uses the Hipstamatic app, which was one of the very early iPhone photography apps. It prompted me to buy the app and a few packs to try it for street photography (now that it's freezing outside!), just for fun. Has anyone else played with it?

I very much enjoyed the impressionistic photos in this article about Marina Sersale. She uses the Hipstamatic app, which was one of the very early iPhone photography apps. It prompted me to buy the app and a few packs to try it for street photography (now that it's freezing outside!), just for fun. Has anyone else played with it?

Hey Garry, Many thanks for posting this link and Marina certainly has snapped some amazing pic's with her iPhone and is very inspirational. If I may ask you a question with regards to the Hipstamatic app, can you still snap in Pro Raw or even RAW when using it? I'm on the brink of downloading the app & some packs.

Last edited:

I hadn't heard of it, but I enjoyed reading the article and seeing her photos.

Finally bit the bullet and went for a 14 pro today.
After months of indecision I should have just gone ahead back then. waiting on price drops or the m2 pro were what were keeping for just buying it, and even until this morning I had toyed with the idea of an iPad Pro.

but 24m interest free at the moment, I thought I might as well, hopefully I can get 5 years out it as per my last two

"Heads Up"

If any one has the "ProCamera" app installed on their iPhone then there's quite a big update out today with some very useful features. If you're a ProUp contributor (which I'm not at the moment) then there are even more useful features added.

I've been singing the praises of this app many times and it just gets better & better with each update. For my iPhone snapping its my go to app and in my opinion none of the other iPhone apps are as complete and easy to use as this one. The only thing missing from it for me is there's no facial tracking at the moment.

Updated my late-2015 MacBook Pro to Monterey 12.6.2 today and my wallpapers (lock screen and desktop) are all missing. I like a clean desktop, but that's going too far. Also, the menu bar is black.

EDIT: I soon fixed both problems by going into the wallpaper settings dialogue and clicking on one of the folders in the left-hand pane. I didn't click anything else as that was enough to restore the current wallpaper and the menu bar. For that workspace. Then I had to visit each workspace to reset those. Thankfully, I only have four workspaces.

Last edited:
Apple Freeform and iCloud

1. It seems to me that Apple's new Freeform whiteboard app would really be useful if you could access it at iCloud.com. Anyone with an iCloud account could use it then.

2. I tried it on my 2019 iPad Air and was told that if I want to sync to other devices I should turn it on iCloud in Settings. I went to Settings and Freeform isn't there. A restriction for a 3-year-old device? Seems unfair. It's there in all my newer devices.
[Solved - see two posts below this one]

Last edited:
"Heads Up"

For anyone that uses "Pixelmator Photo" on their iPad or iPhone then there's a really useful update out today to improve the PP of your pic's even more. As this app displays "Apple Pro Raw" files correctly I use it extensively on my iPad Pro as my main Raw Converter and then finish off in whatever other app I decide on. I personally recommend this app for working on Pro Raw files over any other app I've tried.

What sort of battery life are people getting out of their iPad Air 4’s?
just on casual use (web browsing, Netflix etc) with a medium or high brightness I seem to be getting about 3 1/2 hours..

What sort of battery life are people getting out of their iPad Air 4’s?
just on casual use (web browsing, Netflix etc) with a medium or high brightness I seem to be getting about 3 1/2 hours..
Don’t know about the Air 4, but I get 6 to 10 hours out of my iPad Air 3 and would expect nothing less from a 4.

Don’t know about the Air 4, but I get 6 to 10 hours out of my iPad Air 3 and would expect nothing less from a 4.
Thats more or less what I was expecting. Just checked the battery history and I used nearly 90% this morning with a screen on time of 3:38. Time to get back to apple.

Well issues with my M1 iMac over the past few days. Had a few times when it has just randomly shutdown. Instant black screen as though the power had been switched off (it hadn’t). Happened 6 times within an hour this morning! :(
Call to support went through a few scripted responses but still happening so appointment booked for this afternoon.
Apple power supply maybe?

Well issues with my M1 iMac over the past few days. Had a few times when it has just randomly shutdown. Instant black screen as though the power had been switched off (it hadn’t). Happened 6 times within an hour this morning! :(
Call to support went through a few scripted responses but still happening so appointment booked for this afternoon.
Don‘t know if this helps…

Don‘t know if this helps…
Thanks, I did try some Internet suggestions without success. Apple did full diagnostics and found nothing!
Did a complete clean of the drive to start again so now have to reinstall everything and hope.

Thanks, I did try some Internet suggestions without success. Apple did full diagnostics and found nothing!
Did a complete clean of the drive to start again so now have to reinstall everything and hope.
Good luck, I hope you find a resolution.

Most of the Macs I've ever owned seem to misbehave randomly.

Was it working hard when the screen went blank?

Was it working hard when the screen went blank?
No - just sitting idle.
Anyway been back a couple of hours now and it hasn't crashed yet - never had a problem with it until this week.

Some strangeness with the battery on my iPhone SE (original). If it's over 50% in the evening, I normally just leave it and it's good for the second day. Recently when I look at it in the morning, it's down to 1%. Today I put it on charge, then started using it when at 83%. Just noticed it's down to 1% again, put it back on charge, and it's 57% straight away!
When I found the battery level history thing, it showed it fine last night until about 1:30n am, then suddenly straight down to 1%.

Today it shows it starting at 83%, then suddenly dropping to about 40% (might have been a Facetime session in a dodgy part of the house). Stayed flat at that level, then 10% then 1% just like that. Plug it in, and immediately up over 50%!!!

EDIT: realise that about the time the battery level crashed, I was sitting in the car outside a supermarket sending a text to my wife, who was inside finishing the shopping... so it was connected to the car's systems via bluetooth...

I did close it down and reboot after plugging it in the second time...

Last edited:
Some strangeness with the battery on my iPhone SE (original). If it's over 50% in the evening, I normally just leave it and it's good for the second day. Recently when I look at it in the morning, it's down to 1%. Today I put it on charge, then started using it when at 83%. Just noticed it's down to 1% again, put it back on charge, and it's 57% straight away!
When I found the battery level history thing, it showed it fine last night until about 1:30n am, then suddenly straight down to 1%.

Today it shows it starting at 83%, then suddenly dropping to about 40% (might have been a Facetime session in a dodgy part of the house). Stayed flat at that level, then 10% then 1% just like that. Plug it in, and immediately up over 50%!!!

EDIT: realise that about the time the battery level crashed, I was sitting in the car outside a supermarket sending a text to my wife, who was inside finishing the shopping... so it was connected to the car's systems via bluetooth...

I did close it down and reboot after plugging it in the second time...
Given that the SE gen 1 came out in 2016, it may well be due for a new battery.

Given that the SE gen 1 came out in 2016, it may well be due for a new battery.
Possibly, although since I'm usually getting 2 days out of it (until this behaviour started), I'd prefer to have a better explanation of what's going, before spending my £49!

I do very little on my phone: calls, text, WhatsApp, very occasional FaceTime, and a couple of shop apps (Sainsburys, Waitrose). Maybe the occasional G search. If I use maps, I do expect the battery to reduce fairly quickly! No titter, farcebook, or other socials

The 14 is the same processor as the 13. To me the main attraction of the 14 is the emergency satellite service. The main attraction of the 13 is that it can come in the smaller form factor.

Since the Fitness App has appeared on my "iPhone 12 Pro Max", I think it was a time or two ago. On my iPhone I have a Red, a Green, and a Blue ring to try and complete every day. On my wife's iPhone she only has the Red ring, anyone know how she can get the three different coloured rings to show the same as mine?

Since the Fitness App has appeared on my "iPhone 12 Pro Max", I think it was a time or two ago. On my iPhone I have a Red, a Green, and a Blue ring to try and complete every day. On my wife's iPhone she only has the Red ring, anyone know how she can get the three different coloured rings to show the same as mine?
Does she have an Apple Watch?

Some of these updates are for ten-year-old phones. Android phone manufacturers should take note.

Thanks for sharing this, I did not realise that the macOS updates were also for older machines, my kids have an old MacBook that should probably have these security updates.

I expect that will be the difference for the rings, as the three coloured rings were initially an Apple Watch thing: red is "calories", blue is "stand" and green is "exercise" minutes. I'm not sure how it works without the Apple Watch, but I imagine that "stand" would be a tricky one without the data from the watch.

I expect that will be the difference for the rings, as the three coloured rings were initially an Apple Watch thing: red is "calories", blue is "stand" and green is "exercise" minutes. I'm not sure how it works without the Apple Watch, but I imagine that "stand" would be a tricky one without the data from the watch.

Many thanks for that Lewis, much appreciated.

After putting off updating to Ventura, I decided to bite the bullet today and update from Monterey. Always a bit sceptical when updating as there's always something that needs to be sorted or reinstalled afterwards, but have to say this was the smoothest update I've ever done in over 12 years of using mac...not one thing needed sorting afterwards.

Back