All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Well, no, we dont want him to enjoy it and then post about how good it is do we, otherwise we will lust over one and get one! I hope he says its rubbish! ;)

Yes we do !!! I'm getting one anyway so everyone else's findings and opinions I really do want to hear about. I'm after the 500 gb unit and at the moment I can't get one just now but will just as soon as my fairly local store has them.

George.

Last edited:
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new Mac mini with the M1 chip for photography use such as lightroom?

Very tempted myself, reckon it will be great. IME for most things LR runs better with fast single core speeds and multi-core for bulk actions - looks like the M1 has both.

Rather annoyingly my 2017 MBP went bang shortly after the Apple Silicon was announced, I had been planning on holding out for the new chip but needed a new one for work so got the 10th Gen 13". I can't justify chopping my new MBP in but my 2015 iMac on the other hand could easily be replaced by the new mini.

A few apps coming soon that are ready for Apple's M1 chip. Might help you decide whether to buy.

Pixelmator Pro

Darkroom

DaVinci Resolve

The new iOS 14.3 has been released and it will support Apple ProRaw on the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max.

Here's a video about what's coming:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqd6XPQm6ik

Not appearing on my phone yet. Can’t wait to give the cameras a good test.

Just appeared on mine. Downloading now

Apple ProRAW Photos Will Be 12-Bit DNGs with 14-Stops of Dynamic Range

Yesterday, the developer beta for iOS 14.3 – which contains the upcoming ProRAW photo feature – became available. Though the exact date of the consumer beta or final release of the software has yet to be announced, we now know some facts about how ProRAW will work.

Just had an email saying my Iphone 12 Pro will arrive tomorrow.

That's a positive "RESULT" Dave, looking forward to seeing some of the results from the cameras.

That's a positive "RESULT" Dave, looking forward to seeing some of the results from the cameras.

The Verge did quite a comprehensive review of the 12 Pro Max, I know it’s not the same as hearing from within the community but it’s a good read!

Main benefit was battery-life, camera was better in low-light but otherwise the results not distinguishable from the 12 Pro. Although there were quite a few complaints about how unwieldy the size is.

Or listen to the Vergecast podcast, always a good listen whilst out walking the dog

The Verge did quite a comprehensive review of the 12 Pro Max, I know it’s not the same as hearing from within the community but it’s a good read!

Main benefit was battery-life, camera was better in low-light but otherwise the results not distinguishable from the 12 Pro. Although there were quite a few complaints about how unwieldy the size is.

Or listen to the Vergecast podcast, always a good listen whilst out walking the dog

I've played numerous vid's etc from You Tube but I'm really anxious to hear about & see the results from TP members. None of it will change my mind as to weather I get a 12 Pro Max I've already decided to go ahead on that count.

Last edited:
Ok all a friend asked me some advice but I couldn’t assist as I use Spotify.
He has a 1st generation SE and plugs it into his motorbike for music etc.
He would like to know how he could go about getting his music from cd’s onto it.
I don’t think he is wanting to pay for something to do it.
thanks in advance.

Not sure about this, but could he rip the CDs into iTunes on his Mac/Win10 box and somehow synch from there?

I've just bought the Pro Max, too. Arrives tomorrow afternoon. My first new phone in 6 years. Currently have the 6.

That sounds like positive "RESULT" Ravinder, "ENJOY".

I have a iPad Pro 9.7" that I wish to 'trade-in' for probably an iPad Pro 11"

I have just discoverd there are a myriad of companies offering trade-in prices.

I refer among others to Brightstar which is offered on the Amazon site and I understand that Apple thenselves use Brightstar ?
There is also iPad-recycle (which seems to be a company called 'plunc' ) and finally MusicMagpie.

Has any one any recent experience of any of these companies or others they can share with me please ?

I have 'googled' the reviews and Brightstar seem to have a terrible reputation which really surprised me as they seem to be the accepted outlets for Apple and Amazon, two
highly respected companies ?

Thanks for any help and advice.

The Halide developer seems to produce the most in-depth details of iPhones. May be of interest to iPhone pro max buyers (I haven't read it yet):

Edit to add: The older blog posts are worth a read too if you haven’t seen them.

Last edited:
I have a iPad Pro 9.7" that I wish to 'trade-in' for probably an iPad Pro 11"

I have just discoverd there are a myriad of companies offering trade-in prices.

I refer among others to Brightstar which is offered on the Amazon site and I understand that Apple thenselves use Brightstar ?
There is also iPad-recycle (which seems to be a company called 'plunc' ) and finally MusicMagpie.

Has any one any recent experience of any of these companies or others they can share with me please ?

I have 'googled' the reviews and Brightstar seem to have a terrible reputation which really surprised me as they seem to be the accepted outlets for Apple and Amazon, two
highly respected companies ?

Thanks for any help and advice.

I believe the prices paid are poor. I looked at this sort of thing a while back and it was probably at best half I could get on here or eBay.

I believe the prices paid are poor. I looked at this sort of thing a while back and it was probably at best half I could get on here or eBay.

Hmm ! iPad-recyle are quoting me £215.00 for my 2016 128gb 9.7" iPad Pro.
ebay sold prices around £200.00 to £230.00 for the 128gb 9.7" ipad pro.
Factor in ebay charges and the potential ebay 'buggeration' factor and that is a non-starter.

It won't affect me because I have a "killer application" on my iPhone 5 that won't run on my iPhone 8, so I have to carry both around... :banghead:

iPhones TZ70 P1030759.jpg

Hmm ! iPad-recyle are quoting me £215.00 for my 2016 128gb 9.7" iPad Pro.
ebay sold prices around £200.00 to £230.00 for the 128gb 9.7" ipad pro.
Factor in ebay charges and the potential ebay 'buggeration' factor and that is a non-starter.
No brainer!!! I think it was on an iphone, was offering me 150 or so and sold it for 300

Wife has gotten her bright red 11 128GB to go with her bright red car. Upgraded from 8 plus 64GB. Now she can continue to spam photos and not bother sorting through them.

I've just placed order for 12 mini 64GB. It'll replace my 8 (normal) 64GB. I still have 18GB space so I don't foresee needing over 64GB. To me, the normal sized phone like 11, 12 and 12 pro is simply too big, affects usability as a mobile device. Love the idea of having latest processor in such a tiny footprint, 5S and SE1 was the last great iPhone IMO.

My 8 will go to my mother who is on my previous 5S. The 8 plus will go to my father who is on wife's old 6S plus. I'll then keep probably 6S plus as a backup phone and recycle the 5S.

£1300 spent, upgraded 4 people's phones. On top of £1000 spent on my gaming PC. Luckily saved so much more this year by not going out or eating out :shifty:

The Halide developer seems to produce the most in-depth details of iPhones. May be of interest to iPhone pro max buyers (I haven't read it yet):

Edit to add: The older blog posts are worth a read too if you haven’t seen them.

Richard, that's a very interesting & encouraging read, many thanks for posting the link.

Can anyone recommend me a suitable genuine leather wallet type case for an iPhone 12? In the past I have had Torro cases but their one for iPhone 12 has had the corner 'lopped' off around the camera and looks odd.

So I've just got my first iPhone with Face iD (XS).
Doddle to upload from my iPhone 7 and all seemed to be working okay, except one App that XS says is no longer in the AppStore so I've lost it.
However Face iD was really catching me out ... it setup okay, both with and without glasses but I couldn't work out why it wasn't locking.
I set it to lock after 1 minute but every time I picked it up it was unlocked!

It took me longer than I would like to admit to realise what the 'problem' was!

all seemed to be working okay, except one App that XS says is no longer in the AppStore so I've lost it.
If it still works it should be available if you you look in your Account/Purchased rather than the general App Store.

Thanks for that, unfortunately it isn't in the list :(
I think that’s odd, mine seem to include everything, even versions that no longer work on my current OS.

A few apps coming soon that are ready for Apple's M1 chip. Might help you decide whether to buy.

Pixelmator Pro

Darkroom

DaVinci Resolve

May be of interest to some:

Loads of stuff I deleted or rejected ages ago but not that one App :(
If you’ve still got your old phone, can you back up to iTunes and restore to the new phone from iTunes?

Back