All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Have you had any warnings about versions of Notes not being compatible? I used to get that occasionally when I still used an old Mac that didn't support the latest version of macOS.
I was a bit worried about that when I looked at IOS versions and discovered my old SE is end-of-life, and not quite up to the latest version! But after looking at some web "resources", I tried half a dozen different things (the penultimate of which resulted in my iPhone losing ALL its Notes!). Eventually I signed out of iCloud (scary!!!) and then signed back in again, and now both parties appear to be syncing properly, thank goodness.

I guess the "different version" thing will come to bite me sooner or later. Then it'll be back to Evernote, or some other alternative, if one is to be found.

My Notes have always synced without problems, but I'm having the same problem currently with the Obsidian app. My Obsidian notes don't all sync from my Mac to my iPad, though there's no problem the other way round.

I'm wondering if there's a problem at Apple's end.

I was a bit worried about that when I looked at IOS versions and discovered my old SE is end-of-life, and not quite up to the latest version! But after looking at some web "resources", I tried half a dozen different things (the penultimate of which resulted in my iPhone losing ALL its Notes!). Eventually I signed out of iCloud (scary!!!) and then signed back in again, and now both parties appear to be syncing properly, thank goodness.

I guess the "different version" thing will come to bite me sooner or later. Then it'll be back to Evernote, or some other alternative, if one is to be found.
Similar experience for me when the new (current) version of Notes came which, to be fair was advertised as incompatible with old. I installed a beta version of the update OS on a spare iPad and found all my notes dissapeared on the other main iPad.

They all reappeared when I deleted the beta. Lesson: don’t use same Apple ID on a beta tryout!

Any non Apple recommendations for a USB-C to SD Card Reader for an iPad Pro?

Just bought a new iPad and the old card reader I have no longer fits.

Eventually I signed out of iCloud (scary!!!) and then signed back in again, and now both parties appear to be syncing properly, thank goodness.
Signed out of iCloud on both Mac and iPhone. Afterwards, I kept getting these annoying messages on my Mac, saying that my iPhone wanted to use my iCloud. Multiple times an hour, sometimes. After reading a bunch of stuff online I checked, and discovered that when I signed back into iCloud, the Keychain bit was not checked on either device. Checked it on both, and now the messages have stopped appearing, thank goodness!

"Maybe Of Interest To You"

I've recently downloaded an app to my 12 Pro Max called "ReeXpose" which allows you to snap long exposure pics in RAW. I've been playing around with this app for a few days now and have found the results to be extremely good so I thought that some of you might be interested. Its only £4.99, and below I've added a link to a YouTube vid' demonstrating the app.

View: https://youtu.be/B6yd-xkQG-c

"Maybe Of Interest To You"

I've recently downloaded an app to my 12 Pro Max called "ReeXpose" which allows you to snap long exposure pics in RAW. I've been playing around with this app for a few days now and have found the results to be extremely good so I thought that some of you might be interested. Its only £4.99, and below I've added a link to a YouTube vid' demonstrating the app.

View: https://youtu.be/B6yd-xkQG-c

That looks different to my Slow Shutter, goes up to 30 secs.

Here is a read up on it.

Last edited:
I’m after some advice. I’m looking into moving most, if not all, of my photo editing over on to an iPad using Lightroom Mobile. There’s one bit I’m struggling to get an answer for, and hoping someone here can help. I plan to download images from an SD card straight on to an external SDD or HDD via an Anker dongle plugged into my iPad’s USB C port. I then want to add the images into LR mobile on my iPad.

When I do this, do the images remain on the external drive, or will the process of importing them in to Lightroom transfer them to the iPad? If it’s the latter, then I’m going to have to budget for an updated iPad with more memory, something I’d prefer to avoid if possible.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.

That looks different to my Slow Shutter, goes up to 30 secs.

Here is a read up on it.

I've had that app on my iPhone for a long time but it's of little use to me as it will not create files in RAW (DNG)which is the format I like to work in.

Last edited:
I've had that app on my iPhone for a long time but it's off little use to me as it will not create files in RAW (DNG)which is the format I like to work in.

I have been having a good think about my photography lately, I mostly use my IPhone and GR3 the most now days. As for my picture taking I just don't need all of my cameras now, as when I start to get out soon it will be mostly the phone and GR3.

I have been having a good think about my photography lately, I mostly use my IPhone and GR3 the most now days. As for my picture taking I just don't need all of my cameras now, as when I start to get out soon it will be mostly the phone and GR3.

As you know Dave, pretty much all of my snapping these days revolves around street photography and the perfect tools for me are my iPhone 12 Pro Max soon to be a 15 Pro Max and my RX100M6, I really don't need anything else. Anything that either of these can't snap doesn't get snapped, and I can get away with far more and into far more places using my phone than ever I could using a larger more noticeable camera, and the RX hardly gets me noticed as well. My keep rate is also much higher using one of these units with the quality of images being easily good enough for what I want these days.

As you know Dave, pretty much all of my snapping these days revolves around street photography and the perfect tools for me are my iPhone 12 Pro Max soon to be a 15 Pro Max and my RX100M6, I really don't need anything else. Anything that either of these can't snap doesn't get snapped, and I can get away with far more and into far more places using my phone than ever I could using a larger more noticeable camera, and the RX hardly gets me noticed as well. My keep rate is also much higher using one of these units with the quality of images being easily good enough for what I want these days.

I only need a camera and my phone, as that will do for me as well.

I’m after some advice. I’m looking into moving most, if not all, of my photo editing over on to an iPad using Lightroom Mobile. There’s one bit I’m struggling to get an answer for, and hoping someone here can help. I plan to download images from an SD card straight on to an external SDD or HDD via an Anker dongle plugged into my iPad’s USB C port. I then want to add the images into LR mobile on my iPad.

When I do this, do the images remain on the external drive, or will the process of importing them in to Lightroom transfer them to the iPad? If it’s the latter, then I’m going to have to budget for an updated iPad with more memory, something I’d prefer to avoid if possible.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.
@RichardC27 - can you help with this query Richard?

@RichardC27 - can you help with this query Richard?
It will transfer them to your local storage, until they're backed up to the cloud. LR Mobile doesn't have a concept of external drives other than as somewhere to import files from. It's entirely cloud based, so you just need enough iPad storage to import and hold the images until they're up in the cloud. I've found a 256GB iPad to be more than enough space.

"Heads Up"

If anyone is using the "ProCamera" app on their iPhone & iPad then there's quite a large and useful update out today, particularly if you're using an iPhone 14 Pro. I personally still think this is the best iPhone camera app available.

Last edited:
"Heads Up"

If anyone is using the "ProCamera" app on their iPhone & iPad then there's quite a large and useful update out today, particularly if you're using an iPhone 14 Pro. I personally still think this is the best iPhone camera app out available.

Thanks for that George, for some reason I'd uninstalled it so have it back on now.
Do you pay the subscription for it ?

Thanks for that George, for some reason I'd uninstalled it so have it back on now.
Do you pay the subscription for it ?

No I don't Dave, I find everything on the basic app does exactly what I want. The only things I would like added to the app are facial tracking the same as the standard iPhone app, and a slow motion setting in the video part of the app.

Thanks, most appreciated. I’ll have a look and pick one of them up. (y)
Probably worth saying that the hub i recommended doesn’t support pass through charging. I’m not sure if many, if any, do With an iPad. The Magic Keyboard has a power pass-through which takes care of this.

There is a Rapid Security Response for current OS on phones & tablets.

Rapid Security Responses deliver important security improvements between software updates.

Rapid Security Responses are a new type of software release for iPhone, iPad and Mac. They deliver important security improvements between software updates – for example, improvements to the Safari web browser, the WebKit framework stack or other critical system libraries. They may also be used to mitigate some security issues more quickly, such as issues that may have been exploited or reported to exist.
New Rapid Security Responses will only be delivered for the latest version of iOS, iPadOS and macOS – starting with iOS 16.4.1, iPadOS 16.4.1 and macOS 13.3.1.
By default, your device allows Rapid Security Responses to be applied automatically and, if necessary, will prompt you to restart your device.

There is a Rapid Security Response for current OS on phones & tablets.

Rapid Security Responses deliver important security improvements between software updates.

Rapid Security Responses are a new type of software release for iPhone, iPad and Mac. They deliver important security improvements between software updates – for example, improvements to the Safari web browser, the WebKit framework stack or other critical system libraries. They may also be used to mitigate some security issues more quickly, such as issues that may have been exploited or reported to exist.
New Rapid Security Responses will only be delivered for the latest version of iOS, iPadOS and macOS – starting with iOS 16.4.1, iPadOS 16.4.1 and macOS 13.3.1.
By default, your device allows Rapid Security Responses to be applied automatically and, if necessary, will prompt you to restart your device.
I did my first MacOS RSR restart day before yesterday... and subsequently tweeten refused to operate, saying I'd updated to Tweetdeck Preview. There's a bug where it says it will roll back but fails and comes up with the same error message every time. Ended up having to edit some sort of cookies database... all by the by, except that I did NOT update to TD Preview, someone did it for (to) me, presumably during the update. Colour me grumpy about that, not quite sure whether I want them auto-installed in future. :(

I did my first MacOS RSR restart day before yesterday... and subsequently tweeten refused to operate, saying I'd updated to Tweetdeck Preview. There's a bug where it says it will roll back but fails and comes up with the same error message every time. Ended up having to edit some sort of cookies database... all by the by, except that I did NOT update to TD Preview, someone did it for (to) me, presumably during the update. Colour me grumpy about that, not quite sure whether I want them auto-installed in future. :(

Thats bad! I don’t see how RSR would update another app as opposed to disrupting it.

"Help" (if anyone can)

For some reason on one of my iPads I needed to re-log in to several sights and all but one sight are displaying correctly except for "Flickr". The display on this sight is now larger with no bar across the top where it says flickr, You, Explore, Prints, and a magnifying glass box with photos people groups. The overall display is larger with only two photos per column instead of three. When I click on a photo, that still displays normally but the rest of the page ie text etc is much larger.

Can anyone please tell me how to get it back to what I would call the normal size for an iPad? With everything displaying more compact and also the bar across the top re-instated.

PS., No worries I've just worked out how to do it, If I click on the double A in the sight bar and tap the small A it brings it all back to how I like the display.

Last edited:
Not much help, but I do see this occasionally but I’m not sure how I recover from it! Seems like a temporary glitch :(. However, the reason I’m posting is that there is:

Settings/Safari/Compact tab bar

Which produces the same effect but on all tabs/pages so maybe toggling it on and off might cure your missing bar.

The “size” thing just sounds like the “AA” setting in the address bar which changes size amongst other thing?

Not much help, but I do see this occasionally but I’m not sure how I recover from it! Seems like a temporary glitch :(. However, the reason I’m posting is that there is:

Settings/Safari/Compact tab bar

Which produces the same effect but on all tabs/pages so maybe toggling it on and off might cure your missing bar.

The “size” thing just sounds like the “AA” setting in the address bar which changes size amongst other thing?

Thanks Richard.,

That's exactly what it was and now everything seems to be just fine.

Our iPhone 11s are coming up to 4 years old and we're thinking of upgrading. We've been with EE for many years but their monthly prices for an iPhone 14 are eye watering (c£70). Looking at Sky Mobile, it's £38pm for 30gb of data. (yes, I know it's over 3 years but it's still half the price and you can upgrade after 2 years).

My quetion is though, will the iPhone 15 have USB-C? If so, I'm thinking it may be worth holding out.

My quetion is though, will the iPhone 15 have USB-C? If so, I'm thinking it may be worth holding out.

Rumours are that it will, but rumours about Apple gear are very often just rumours. This article on Forbes seems to think it's definite but doesn't cite a source. There is a rumour that it could be USB-C in the EU only, i.e. not in the UK. And another rumour that only Apple-certified chargers will charge at full speed.

Probably worth saying that the hub i recommended doesn’t support pass through charging. I’m not sure if many, if any, do With an iPad. The Magic Keyboard has a power pass-through which takes care of this.
Strike all that. The hub I’d mentioned didn’t support power pass through but this one certainly does. Similar build quality but with a nicer braided cable rather that uPVC. All the same ports, etc. Paid about UKP23 after discount. USB C is proving to be a somewhat expensive learning ground. <Grrrh emoji>

Last edited:
And my tvOS updated yesterday, along with HomePodOS, meaning that I had to use my rubbish TV speakers for a few hours... :rolleyes:
Ha! I’m still on an early version of Apple TV. I only use it to stream security cams to a monitor from an old iPhone 4 so I’m afraid tvOS didn’t ’register’ with me. ㋡

My iPhone 11 battery is knackered. Mrs Marc has the same phone (both bought at the same time) and hers is fine. The major difference is I use wireless charging but she rarely does. Anybody here have any experience of wireless chargers causing battery degradation?

My iPhone 11 battery is knackered. Mrs Marc has the same phone (both bought at the same time) and hers is fine. The major difference is I use wireless charging but she rarely does. Anybody here have any experience of wireless chargers causing battery degradation?
I think wireless charging generally causes a lot more heat than wired, which might be the cause. You're also more likely to do quick top ups with wireless charging which can also degrade battery performance.

That is concerning to hear, as I almost exclusively use wireless charging on my 12 Mini - it is still on 87% battery health after more than 2 years though.

Have you got "optimise battery charging" enabled? In theory that should keep it topped up to about 80%, rather than keeping the battery fully charged.

I think wireless charging generally causes a lot more heat than wired, which might be the cause. You're also more likely to do quick top ups with wireless charging which can also degrade battery performance.
Yes, I just found a post on Macrumours stating that 15W wireless chargers are the worst for heat. Went back and checked. Yep, mine charges at 15W
That is concerning to hear, as I almost exclusively use wireless charging on my 12 Mini - it is still on 87% battery health after more than 2 years though.
Mine's on 84% but it goes from 100% to 50% in a few hours without being used!
Have you got "optimise battery charging" enabled? In theory that should keep it topped up to about 80%, rather than keeping the battery fully charged.
I have but it always charges to 100%

Anyway, iPhone 14 Pro on its way to me....

....and another for the missus who wasn't overly bothered about upgrading until I started having battery issues. :rolleyes:

Yes, I just found a post on Macrumours stating that 15W wireless chargers are the worst for heat. Went back and checked. Yep, mine charges at 15W

Mine's on 84% but it goes from 100% to 50% in a few hours without being used!

I have but it always charges to 100%
I think thats the expected result. Apple says it charges to 80% and then tops it up just before it thinks you will start using it -- obviously overnight would be typical. They seem to say it’s the length of time it spends at 100% is the critical factor.

Back