All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Well, I've now decided to buy an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and ahve placed the order with Apple. The downside is that earliest delivery is 10 November.

That's a positive result in my book Stephen, Congrat's & "ENJOY".

"We do of course expect to see lot's of pic's taken with it in the cell phone thread" :):)

Last edited:
My new iPhone 15 Pro Max arrived yesterday. Transferring from my old iPhone was not quite as straightforward as it was meant to be but I got there in the end.
The iPhone 15 had to update IOS to 17.03 first before it would do anything.

Getting it to recognise my Apple watch and connect took three resets to work finally.

Anyway for general shots, the camera on the 15 is certainly better than the 14 based on the few shots I have tried.

A very obliging Red Kite even flew overhead so I had a chance to try the iPhone out on a bird-in-flight shot but the iPhone just couldn't handle the very high dynamic range of the image as it was struggling to cope with the very bright clouds. I couldn't figure out quickly enough how to get the spot metering to work.

View attachment 404329

That's also a positive result in my book David, Congrat's & "ENJOY".

"I had the same thing before my 15 Pro Max would update, it updated the software first but everything else went very smoothly.

"As with Stephen we do expect to see lots of pic's taken with it in the cell phone thread" :):)

Last edited:
The only downside I've found with the 15 Pro Max that will very likely only affect me personally or may be @garryknight if he should get one or anyone else using the Hipstamatic app, is on that app being very retro & basic you only have a choice of using the standard lens or the telephoto lens. And although the standard lens is just fine I do find the telephoto lens too long for that app. Not all is lost though you can easily edit any of your pic's that were snapped on another app in the Hipstamatic app.

The other downside that I guess in time may be sorted out is pretty much all of my pic's that are not street style I tend to use the ProCamera app which does not support all of the various new settings on the 15 Pro Max. Hopefully they'll get it sorted in the not too distant future. Having said that the standard Apple Camera app has been considerably upgraded for the new phone and there are quite a lot more useful facilities on that app that were not available on my 12 Pro Max.

anyone else using the Hipstamatic app, is on that app being very retro & basic

Both Hipstamatic apps have huge flaws. The new app doesn't shoot raw, or at least, I haven't seen a setting for that; and the 367 app tries to force you into holding the phone in
landscape orientation, even when the shot is square. I hold my phone upright when using the apps so when I turn the phone on to take a quick shot I find that the picture is upside down, because the camera assumes I'm going to hold it sideways. By the time I've managed to rotate it, by swivelling the phone around, I've often missed the shot. So I try to carry the phone around dead upright, which is a pain to say the least.

Both Hipstamatic apps have huge flaws. The new app doesn't shoot raw, or at least, I haven't seen a setting for that; and the 367 app tries to force you into holding the phone in
landscape orientation, even when the shot is square. I hold my phone upright when using the apps so when I turn the phone on to take a quick shot I find that the picture is upside down, because the camera assumes I'm going to hold it sideways. By the time I've managed to rotate it, by swivelling the phone around, I've often missed the shot. So I try to carry the phone around dead upright, which is a pain to say the least.

I don't have the problem of upright or view as I naturally use my iPhone the same as a dedicated camera in the view/landscape format and only switch to upright when the pic' demands it, just seems more natural to me.

Last edited:
I don't have the problem of upright or view as I naturally use my iPhone the same as a dedicated camera in the view/landscape format and only switch to upright when the pic' demands it, just seems more natural to me.

I find it quicker for street shots to just lift up my phone, that I'm already carrying upright and unlocked, and press the volume button to take the shot. Fewer missed ones that way.

I find it quicker for street shots to just lift up my phone, that I'm already carrying upright and unlocked, and press the volume button to take the shot. Fewer missed ones that way.

I think each person has their own way of working and that remains best for them. I personally find the upright format just feels all wrong to me, most of the time I keep my middle ringer in a loop ring thing I've got stuck to the back of a case and I fire the shutter with a small bluetooth remote held in my other hand. Works for me just fine.

Anyone know where the 'play next' function on apple music playback on an appletv has gone? It used to be possible to click on the 3 dots and get a menu with play next and it's flipping disappeared. Really annoying as it's handy to add a whole album to next and last.

No idea why they ruin simple functionality.

Well I've had my "iPhone 15 Pro Max" for three weeks now and I have to say photography/camera wise I'm absolutely bowled over with it. Up until I got it I considered my best street photography camera was my "Sony RX100M6" although I've not used it for virtually a year now, preferring to use my "iPhone 12 Pro Max".

This has now all changed for as far as I'm concerned my best street photography camera is my new "iPhone". In pretty much every case it can match my RX unit with the exception of the 200mm (equivalent) lens, although I can get more than acceptable images from the iPhone up to 7xs (about 168mm equivalent) which is more than enough for me.

All of the three main lenses/cameras are extremely good, which was not the case with my "12 Pro Max". The ultra wide was nowhere near the quality I was looking for which meant it was virtually a two lens/camera unit instead of three.

There's so many good things that I could go on about with regards to the "15 Pro Max" that it would just take too much time to write all about them. So I'll finish up by saying, if anyone is sitting on the fence with regards to getting one then don't hesitate as you'll not be disappointed.

Well I've had my "iPhone 15 Pro Max" for three weeks now and I have to say photography/camera wise I'm absolutely bowled over with it. Up until I got it I considered my best street photography camera was my "Sony RX100M6" although I've not used it for virtually a year now, preferring to use my "iPhone 12 Pro Max".

This has now all changed for as far as I'm concerned my best street photography camera is my new "iPhone". In pretty much every case it can match my RX unit with the exception of the 200mm (equivalent) lens, although I can get more than acceptable images from the iPhone up to 7xs (about 168mm equivalent) which is more than enough for me.

All of the three main lenses/cameras are extremely good, which was not the case with my "12 Pro Max". The ultra wide was nowhere near the quality I was looking for which meant it was virtually a two lens/camera unit instead of three.

There's so many good things that I could go on about with regards to the "15 Pro Max" that it would just take too much time to write all about them. So I'll finish up by saying, if anyone is sitting on the fence with regards to getting one then don't hesitate as you'll not be disappointed.
Thanks for the report, George. Mine should be with me in about 2 weeks :p

Not photographic but Apple Calendar on iphone/ipad (could apply to Mac as well but I hadn’t used it in this period).

I had a hospital appointment for today which was change twice, once the doctor was changed and then the date from 2 to 30 November. I almost certainly modified the details in the original entry which is usually OK but didn’t notice Calendar had created an entry for the new date but kept the old one.
BUT it was not as simple as that because the two entries were somehow the “same” one and couldn’t be edited etc separately :mad: .

Luckily, just as I was about to set off I checked the letter for instructions and found the error! Phew. I should say I have a host of hospital appointments with various departments so the error wasn’t obvious.

Not photographic but Apple Calendar on iphone/ipad (could apply to Mac as well but I hadn’t used it in this period).

I had a hospital appointment for today which was change twice, once the doctor was changed and then the date from 2 to 30 November. I almost certainly modified the details in the original entry which is usually OK but didn’t notice Calendar had created an entry for the new date but kept the old one.
BUT it was not as simple as that because the two entries were somehow the “same” one and couldn’t be edited etc separately :mad: .

Luckily, just as I was about to set off I checked the letter for instructions and found the error! Phew. I should say I have a host of hospital appointments with various departments so the error wasn’t obvious.
SWMBO nagging me is better than any calendar app for me! :oops: :$

SWMBO nagging me is better than any calendar app for me! :oops: :$

Swapped mine for a dog years ago so that won’t work for me :LOL:

Joking apart, my backup is to keep the letters in a clip so the next one is on top.

Swapped mine for a dog years ago so that won’t work for me :LOL:

Joking apart, my backup is to keep the letters in a clip so the next one is on top.
Got a dog AND a wife. Neither are any use for reminding me about appointments.

As most of you know I'm primarily a street style togger, but today I thought I'd have a change as I got thoroughly soaked & windswept yesterday and just didn't fancy those kinda conditions again today. So I thought I'd shut myself away in my studio with my "iPhone 15 Pro Max" and some studio lights/softboxes used with just the modelling lights and some macro/close up attachments.

I used my iPhone on a tripod and fired the shutter via a Bluetooth remote, well to say I'm pleased with the results is an understatement. All images were snapped in Pro Raw and I have just started to do a bit of PP on some of them in Affinity (iPad version 1).

Hopefully I'll get the first pic' posted on TP this evening if I have the time. It only underlines what I said on Wednesday, if anyone is sitting on the fence with regards to getting a "15 Pro Max" then take my word for it and get it, you'll not be disappointed.

Last edited:

Not sure how related it is, but I also have some weirdness happening with reminders in Calendar (synced across from Mac to iPhone). I have a regular weekly tablet I need to take early Sunday morning, so I have two reminders set up, one 24 hours before and one 12 hours before. I'm now getting reminders 48 hours before. I usually respond to the 24-hour one by postponing it for an hour each time, until I've found the pack et and put it in a place to remind me. I've just postponed it again for an hour, and a few minutes later it popped up again. It's really weird.

My “gripe” with Apple calendar is that if I make an entry on my desktop it doesn’t migrate to our iphones and ipads. But if an entry is made on any of our personal devices then it spreads everywhere including the desktop imac.

My “gripe” with Apple calendar is that if I make an entry on my desktop it doesn’t migrate to our iphones and ipads. But if an entry is made on any of our personal devices then it spreads everywhere including the desktop imac.

You say “our” so I wonder if that’s something to to with multiple accounts?

You say “our” so I wonder if that’s something to to with multiple accounts?
That’s probable, though technically speaking they are all on one named account (mine). I do keep suggesting that MrsL gets her own Apple account, but apathy (on both sides) rules! We manage, and I’ve spent most of my working life before retiring solving other company’s IT issues and have no taste to restart that palaver. If I can work round it, I do. If I can’t, tough. :p

ISTR my earlier sync issues (not syncing rather than inventing new reminders) were eventually solved by logging both devices out of iCloud, restarting them and then logging them back in. No promises, though!

Not sure how related it is, but I also have some weirdness happening with reminders in Calendar (synced across from Mac to iPhone). I have a regular weekly tablet I need to take early Sunday morning, so I have two reminders set up, one 24 hours before and one 12 hours before. I'm now getting reminders 48 hours before. I usually respond to the 24-hour one by postponing it for an hour each time, until I've found the pack et and put it in a place to remind me. I've just postponed it again for an hour, and a few minutes later it popped up again. It's really weird.
I find the “Medications” feature in the Health app to be room for medication reminders.
That’s probable, though technically speaking they are all on one named account (mine). I do keep suggesting that MrsL gets her own Apple account, but apathy (on both sides) rules! We manage, and I’ve spent most of my working life before retiring solving other company’s IT issues and have no taste to restart that palaver. If I can work round it, I do. If I can’t, tough. :p
A family sharing account might be a good way to split it up.

I find the “Medications” feature in the Health app to be room for medication reminders.

A family sharing account might be a good way to split it up.
Now there’s a thought. I shall investigate, but not now in the middle of a bottle of malt

I dont use Reminders for this at all but the Health app with an alarm (with text) which in your case would be every Sunday.

I can’t see the utility of setting a reminder for the day before unless to remind you to get supplies (too late!) better to set 2 “events” on a Sunday.

ISTR my earlier sync issues (not syncing rather than inventing new reminders) were eventually solved by logging both devices out of iCloud, restarting them and then logging them back in. No promises, though!
I was going to suggest that, but with a warning that you get (unclear) warnings and have to decide about keeping the data somewhere.

On a different subject with both my iPhone and watch now getting near to 80% capacity, why have we not gone over to replaceable external clip-on batteries at least for phones. With magnetic charging and battery cases i assume there is some way of doing this even without external contacts (not that they would be a problem?

Obviously more difficult on the watch but battery could be ring shaped or in strap (aka “band”) or somewhere.

You can get MagSafe battery packs.

You can get MagSafe battery packs.

Yes, that’s my point really, why have a bulky phone + battery case when you could leave the battery out of the phone and have collection of clip-on external batteries, with our without case. The camera(s) would have to protrude at the top and the battery fit below them which would be neater than the current MagSafe battery cases.

Perhaps I’ should email Tim Apple :LOL: about this!

Last edited:
I dont use Reminders for this at all but the Health app with an alarm (with text) which in your case would be every Sunday.

I can’t see the utility of setting a reminder for the day before unless to remind you to get supplies (too late!) better to set 2 “events” on a Sunday.
So far I've not used the Health app, and I must say I'd prefer to keep it that way. I'm very choosy about what's on my phone; no social media, no home automation, and only the NHS App. I don't have smart watch or any other health monitoring device that might justify it.

The reason I have reminders the day before is because this medication has to be taken first thing, so reminders an hour or two before aren't much use (I'm asleep!).

Anyway, the point really was that the calendar system seems to be multiplying the reminders, which seems a bit weird. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the Mac that's at fault, or the syncing process. I was a bit annoyed when I finally managed to sync contacts between the two devices, and now every contact appears twice. I think one birthday (tracked across from contacts to calendar) appears 4 times!

So far I've not used the Health app, and I must say I'd prefer to keep it that way. I'm very choosy about what's on my phone; no social media, no home automation, and only the NHS App. I don't have smart watch or any other health monitoring device that might justify it.

The reason I have reminders the day before is because this medication has to be taken first thing, so reminders an hour or two before aren't much use (I'm asleep!).

Anyway, the point really was that the calendar system seems to be multiplying the reminders, which seems a bit weird. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the Mac that's at fault, or the syncing process. I was a bit annoyed when I finally managed to sync contacts between the two devices, and now every contact appears twice. I think one birthday (tracked across from contacts to calendar) appears 4 times!

I must be getting really dense but I don’t get how reminding you the night before is going to help if you are asleep the following morning? Surely an alarm would do the trick :thinking:

Just to be clear, I was referring to the Apple Health app not some third party app.

I don’t use the Health app for pills — it’s quite good and you can add shape and colour to some extent but I fing it over complicated for pills for me as I just about 100*at 8am , 3 at 6pm and 1 at 10pm.

The A Health app does pick up the data (if I allow it) from my 3rd party blood pressure app (IBP) and pedometer app (Pedometer ++) that I’ve been using for years and both are bombproof.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the Calendar has some odd glitches despite working OK most of the time.

Oh, and the NHS app — since the NHS is giving all our data to Peter Thiel etc for peanuts I’m not sure using it is protecting your data! Did you get an exemption from your GP?

* not really but it feels like it ;(.

Back