Ambermile's 2010 Fifty Two - Produce - Week 12

Liking your week 4 Arthur. Really makes us part of the scene rather than just a viewer. Glad you just got a giggle when they turned round rather than a confrontation.

I love the idea of looking over the shoulder, getting involved in the decision-making, seeing what the two girls are seeing and wondering about...

Blimey, is that what the shot's about! Glad I read your bit of copy as I was looking and just scratching my bald one! ;)

Thanks Lee... a practical point I guess :D I went out this evening and wandered around the city as I waited for number one daughter to finish drama school and came to the conclusion that dusk is the perfect time for shy togs to do street - nobody really notices you in the half-light, and that ISO800 or so adds some realism to the pics too! I think I took three or four cool piccies that I wish I had taken before I posted this week's entry. Ho hum, that's the way of it I guess but I am beginning to like this sort of outside stuff...

Arthur

Last edited:
All good efforts, as you say the first one has the intimacy to it, although the one of the girl leaning against the wall is a good piece of opportunism and a very good spot as well. Nice composition on the chap walking by the stall.

The main thing is that you went out of your comfort zone, and found something you could work on. It sounds like you have a sneaking desire to do some more street photography.

I feel glad it is over, didn't enjoy it at the time, but am tempted to try again to do better because it is so challenging . I think it is very different from other styles where you are in control and comfortable, and it tests your skills and reactions.

Ian

I like it - the processing works well and draws you into the picture. (y)

Thankyou, I think it is really a marmite picture though!

All good efforts, as you say the first one has the intimacy to it, although the one of the girl leaning against the wall is a good piece of opportunism and a very good spot as well. Nice composition on the chap walking by the stall.

The main thing is that you went out of your comfort zone, and found something you could work on. It sounds like you have a sneaking desire to do some more street photography.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I do like a couple of the others myself but I rather liked the intimacy of this one - something "Street" sometimes fails to capture.

Trying again? I think so - definitely - there's so much going on out there!

Hi Arthur. I like the use of colur here, works for me.

Thankyou, good to know the "like the colour" group is steadily growing :D

Arthur

i'm not comfortable taking candid street shots.. might try your suggestion of going out at dusk see if that makes a difference..

I like the selective colour on your shot and found myself looking at all the hats too.. am wondering if they went for one! :)

i'm not comfortable taking candid street shots.. might try your suggestion of going out at dusk see if that makes a difference..

Do it - people seem to lose that slight paranoia later on... not sure I could have dared to go for this pic in daylight. OK, yes the high ISO is showing but still...

x-800-DSC_8191.jpg

Places like all-night shops become magnets for people too, the Tesco Metro was like a beacon!

Arthur

Last edited:
I like it Arthur, the colouring works and it does feel part of the situation. I'm another one that really doesn't like street photography of this type, although it was odd when I was shooting buildings the number of polite people around here, who when they realised what I was doing, tried to keep out of my way and apologised for it too...

Nice one Arthur. I think the high ISO adds something to shots like this (y)

Hi Arthur,

I've been back a few times to look at your original street shot, and not been sure what to say. It's clear from your words that you've made an effort to take a picture youwanted, and the fact that you like it means that it's a good shot. It doesn't do much for me I'm afraid and looks quite crowded and enclosed. Maybe that's a good thing though... I guess I'm finding critique'ing just as hard as photographing at the moment. I understand what you're trying to do with the colour. Have you tried selective desaturation on the B&W areas rather than just B&W? I wonder if the muted colours on everything but the girl might work better.

Looking at your other candidates, I also prefer the shot of the lone girl. Did you discount it because it was an "easier" shot for you, therefore not as good?

Scrolling through the rest of the post, and I saw your "couple" shot. I really really like this one, and for me it stands head and shoulders above the others. I like the noise, and I like the composition.

Well done for getting out there and making your shots happen.

Thread bookmarked!

Ian.

John, I think you are on the head there, we are all too polite - the crux of the problem!

Thanks Chris - I hope they were supposed to be there... :D

Steve - it does indeed add something to it, not sure but I suspect too much and it would begin to look furtive or intrusive?

Hi Ian - thanks for the thoughts and yes, you are correct in saying the "discarded" pics were too easy - for me they were not "Street", more just lucky snaps really. The hat picture was one I was more involved in and maybe, because it was a bit more personal. it does not appeal so much to others.

The couple shot was fun, they were oblivious... and as I said the lateness of the hour somehow made the photography easier, not such an intrusion as it were. I would recommend this time of day to anyone a bit shy of this sort of thing as it makes things a bit more anonymous and the people are definitely a little less guarded. Not only that but people were sort of drawn to the pools of light, like the Tesco for example, and that made for some great pics too.

Arthur

Last edited:
OK, apologies people, I sort of lost it for a couple of weeks there but hopefully now things can get back on track. I have the 10D now and the D70 is repaired as well - not to mention a very nice 50mm f/1.4 I am itching to get out with.

I have some catching up to do but hopefully by the end of the week I will be up to date.

Arthur - now got a blue parking badge :(

OK then, something from me would be this... and an explanation! For the last year I've been slowly getting knocked about by a nasty arthritis thing, (hence the blue badge bit above), and speed is something I have very little of right now. All the more annoying for someone that was reasonably active (archery, 100 miles a week cyclist, etc.) to be forced to stop and think about almost every movement you make...

Things are beginning to finally go better but right now, speed is the last thing on my mind and I think this picture is to me just about as personal and autobiographical as I can get!

DSC_0015-800.jpg

Arthur

PS - sorry it's late :D

Last edited:
great shot. Coupled with the story behind it it really works well!! hope you get back to health soon!

I take it thats speed behind bars ;) nice to see you got the D70 fixed fairly cheeply. I'm glad to see you are catching up and look forward to Present and People.

(y)

Yes, sort of speed unfairly restrained as it were. That was the idea at least... it sort of works, might have been better with bars but we have to do what we can with what we are given!

Being banned for a day was a bit of a shock (and somewhat of a downer) since I only reacted rather than started, hence the avatar, but then getting the D70 sorted for under £20 was excellent - and to think I nearly sold it off for £80 at one point...
phew.gif

I knew about Present, what's this People then?

Arthur

Last edited:
First off, best wishes for a continued improvement in things.

Before I read your explanation for the speed shot I couldn't work it out. I had a sense of claustrophobia but that was about all.
However, it all fell into place once I understood the thinking behind the shot.

Yes, bars might have been better but I think you have interpreted such a profound personal and autobiographical situation perfectly.

Hi Arthur. It's a sad photo and a sad story.

I'm wondering whether B&W would make the fence look more like bars. Only problem is you'd lose the red of the Ferarri and the shot might lose impact. Maybe pop the red Ferrarri back in?

It's funny how much I dislike colour popping, but when it's done well and for a reason, I think it works. Might well work here.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

Ian.

Thanks for the comments and wishes Rob, pity you had to read the story though - maybe it could do with a title to steer thoughts in the right direction...

Ian... not sure how to tell you this but it's a Lotus :D Nice idea though, one I tried for the street week with mixed results... how about this? I'm liking the idea of the colourful and clearly sporty/fast car pinned down and kept behind the dark and dreary barrier

messed-bw-select.jpg

Arthur

Last edited:
Arthur,

Sorry but that hasn't really worked in my opinion. Don't know what you've done to keep just the red but it looks all wrong along the bottom of the doorsill, the bottom of the door and the air intake. :shrug:

If I want to do selective colouring, I find a much better and effective way is to create an additional layer, convert to B&W and make it a layer mask - you can then use a paintbrush tool to reveal / hide parts of the layer beneath. Theres probably an easier way still, but I am no photoshop expert........;)

I've had a quick 2 min play to illustrate what I mean above....... you'll see the original detail of doorsill etc remains.

arthurcar3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lynton, mine was a quick and dirty colour select and invert is all just to see if the idea worked (looks like I should have expanded the colour match ratio a little more!). I sort of like it, it does delineate the difference between the subject and the restraint, but the more I look the more I am drawn to the original! I take your point though, and well-proven it is too, means you are going to have to show me that one day :D

Arthur

And so, taking Lynton's advice about the areas that lack detail I spent some time trying to sort it but the fact is that there just is not any colour down there to mess with (that does not bleed into the darker area that is) and putting it there looked odd no matter how I tried to sort things. I think this then is likely to be my best interpretation of this colour-selection themed take on the original image, it's a bit more moody, it's not ideal, but it sure as heck is the best compromise I can come up with that maintains Ian's original idea about keeping the red and also addresses Lynton's point about the glaring nasty bits around the sill and air intake. I like it now, more dark and moody, sort of brooding... can't think of any more "ood" words but you get the idea :D

I think maybe the issues I am having here can clearly demonstrate the main difference between dslr and point and shoot, since this pic was taken with an Ixus and there really is not sufficient information captured in the original file to do the processing needed. So I reckon in future, if the pic's a dead cert then the PnS is OK but if you are going to wanna play later, use the big guns!

messed2.jpg

Arthur

Last edited:
No no no. There is the detail. On the original full colour image. The detail is there to bring back the colour and definition. Re editing your original colour select pic will donlittle if not nothing as detail already lost.

Damn but your a hard man Lynton! Probably right though and so here's an hour's worth of hairpulling on a Sunday morning.

messed-full-800-fin.jpg

Actaully, not probably right in retrospect, just right (y)

Yay! Prefer the full colour version though! :LOL:

Ian... not sure how to tell you this but it's a Lotus Nice idea though, one I tried for the street week with mixed results... how about this? I'm liking the idea of the colourful and clearly sporty/fast car pinned down and kept behind the dark and dreary barrier

Lotus... Ferrari... They all look the same to me. i.e.Out of my price bracket!

Anyway, I like the colour pop. Colourful car behind dreary background as you said works for me. Didn't follow most of the technical posts following it, but I prefer it over the original no matter how you go about it.

Ian.

Moving swiftly on then, and with an eye to getting the People shot sorted today as well, this is my "Present" picture. As with the Speed image, this is a bit of a personal one - I have spent a lot of the last year looking back and wondering if I could have fixed anything to make things easier for me right now. Sadly, the conclusion is no, the past is past and while you can repair the damage and get back to full working order, there's no way to change things. I think this image sums that up perfectly with the broken clock in the hands of the clockmaker - he can fix it and make it better for the future, but it will always be an old clock! Look back for sure, but also make sure you live in the present.

This is Julian, a friend that has his workshop in the same buildings as the Ambermile workshops, only he makes much smaller things than I do! Clarke and Jones are a tinsy but well-known (in the field of clocks) restorers and repairers of clocks and other things clockwork. The clock in the picture that Julian is holding has been completely rebuilt, from the two brass panels to many of the smaller parts and catchments. The workshop is a great place to go and calm down, or just to sit and have a natter when things start to go too fast. Don't drink the tea though...

IMG_1371-final-800.jpg

Taken with the Ixus 50... although the new grip arrived for the 10D and the D70 is repaired, sometimes I still struggle to hold them... :(

Went out Sunday for some Street togging in Norwich - it was fun and apart from the Street themed week here the only time I have gone out expressly to do that style of photography. Was a bit scary at the start but surprising how you get into it... not too sure if any of those pictures will suit the People them but you never know... watch this space!

Arthur

Last edited:
Week seven then and People. The street shots mentioned above are in another thread in the People and Portraits section if you want to go peek, or go straight to the gallery here.

Anyway, thinking about this we sometimes forget that some of our closest friends are people too... Went up to see a couple of very good friends at the end of last week, Pete and Louise. Peter has had a helluva life, brought up on the dark side of the East End with crime/drugs/violence/the lot, spending most of his life in jail or waiting to go to jail... Then he made the mistake of breaking into one particular house - no different to all the rest seemingly - got caught and went to jail. Again.

While he was in jail he was asked if he wanted to trial a new Victim Support idea where people get to meet the burglar/thief/whatever and are in some ways helped to bring the ordeal to a final closure. Peter was impressed, in fact he is now spending all his time around the country lecturing for the Restorative Justice Charity. He got out of prison, met Louise, they got married (I took the wedding pics :D ) and have not looked back. Anything that can do that to a hardened criminal like Peter has to be a good thing, and it's all about people helping other people... simply because they can. Google Peter Woolf if you want more information - he wrote a book about his life (The Damage Done - I'm in it!) and it is one scary read... you will have to order it though as it sells out rather a lot.

The picture? Ixus 50 again, Pete and Louise in their kitchen, around the table, having a cup of tea and a chat - though I have tried to emphasise that the setting is as important as the people for the composition to work, for me at least. Normal people doing normal things in a normal house in Norfolk. It's just that he's *not* normal, there was a time when this would have been an unreachable dream for him, and I am proud to call him a friend...

IMG_1327-messed-800.jpg

Anyway, that puts me almost up to date with the "Mechanical" deadline not until Sunday! Time to relax a little and think about what I am going to do :D

Arthur

Last edited:
Hi, :) Having only just started with the 52s I will restrict pic comments to this latest one although I have looked through the whole thread and there are some very nice images! I love this shot though and the wonderful story that goes with it......people are amazing...especially when they are allowed to be :) I really like the light and the atmosphere you have captured........

Sonia

Thanks Sonia, and good to have you on board as well!

I have decided to throw caution to the wind and post my Mechanical pic today as well... but I have a choice of two and am having issues deciding between them. Both similar, both messed to age a little and add some warmth and atmosphere... just can't decide!

Storytime then... the main clock in both pictures is the one in the Present shot... an interesting point to note is that the two large plates that carry the movement were made from an old recycled brass plate that had at one time (we think) been intended for use as a commemorative plaque (if you look you can see the original writing). However, when looked at it became clear as to why it was in the old recycle bin... the original engraver had made a glaring spelling mistake :LOL:

IMG_1365-decolour-vig.jpg

IMG_1366-decolour-vig.jpg

Incidentally, as for the previous Speed, Present and People, these are both taken with the Ixus 50 again... hopefully I can get ahold of the dslr's later this week!

Arthur

Last edited:
It's been a week for pensiveness and looking back really and I make no apologies for the tone of these latest three themed image offerings... they suit my mood and I actually rather like them :D However, things must and do move on and I am actually and finally over the top of the hill I think and perhaps even slowly rolling down the gentle slope that is an improvement of my health ... Here's to the future!

Arthur

:wave: Arthur,
Your clock photographs, for me, really have that added something - I particularly like the way they are resting on papers it just adds to the overall effect. Although I think both shots are great number one is my favourite:)

Thanks Liz, I have to admit I took advantage of the visit to the clockmakers for my Present shot to take also the Mechanical shots as well. When I saw the three old clock internals lined up, all repaired and ready to go out, I knew instantly I had found my next theme's image! Or, as it turned out, two images - although I am still favouring the first the same as yourself. I had some fun with the processing because the little Ixus, while an excellent camera, does get a little short-changed, sensor-size-wise and so it's light grasp is not perfect indoors without flash. Taking pics of brass (or any metal really) one cannot use flash because your highlights pretty much always burn out... but having said all that I love the natural lighting this forces one to utilise and think about.

Arthur

I love the clock shots, particularly "present" - you have done really well to get them with the Ixus. You've managed to control reflections really well.

Speed is a great take on the theme :LOL:

People is a lovely shot and such a moving and uplifting story.

Good to hear that your health is improving - fingers crossed for you!

Thanks :D The Ixus is a great little camera but I am pretty sure using big cameras helps enormously when it comes to getting good pics from point and shoot cameras - you do seem to have a better understanding really of the mechanics of an image and so can take advantage of things you may otherwise miss (like the book as a reflector in the Present shot to add light to the clockmaker's head for example!).

Just ordered another grip, for the D70 this time so should be good to go with it but so far the Ixus sits in my pocket all the time... if it cannot handle a situation I can always go back with the big guns later!

Arthur

Last edited:
Back