Anyone else use 500px?

I signed up few months back, wasnt sure if i should add my rubbish to what looks like a site with the BEST photo's ive ever seen, the level and ability some of these photographers have makes mine look like i never taken a photo before :crying:

Anyway i added 10 images and manged to get 4 into popular even if only for a very short time but not added anything since. It takes something VERY special to dominate the Popular gallery for a few days and i dont think i can ever take that shot :bang:

http://500px.com/mrmike-photography

Mr Mike said:
I signed up few months back, wasnt sure if i should add my rubbish to what looks like a site with the BEST photo's ive ever seen, the level and ability some of these photographers have makes mine look like i never taken a photo before :crying:

Anyway i added 10 images and manged to get 4 into popular even if only for a very short time but not added anything since. It takes something VERY special to dominate the Popular gallery for a few days and i dont think i can ever take that shot :bang:

Well done for getting into the popular bit at all, your shots can't be that bad :)

I don't think any of mind have been in there yet!

Can you post pictures from there onto the forum?

This has been answered in this thread somewhere. To save you looking for it, the only way that has been discovered so far is to use the browser's View Source to go through the HTML code looking for the link to the photo. When you've found it, you can embed it in

I've only uploaded one photo so far (my favourite of this year) as I think I'll want to re-edit most of my images before uploading, in an attempt to tread water amongst the high standards of 500px.

http://500px.com/sarahhj

Decided to start using this more again ,so have gone through and added everyone since I last checked the thread.

How do you get so many views...is it just luck or having so many friends.ive had pictures up for over a year and i dont think any have over 100 views :(

Last edited:
How do you get so many views...is it just luck or having so many friends.

I'd like to know that too. :shrug:

I hope it's not a case of 'friends' with reciprocal voting like Flickr. :( I would rather the image stands up for itself. Maybe that is the case though. :( ;) :LOL:

I've seen a few images with hundreds or thousands of views that were pretty average, very Flickrlike.

I still like the site though, it gets me looking at lots of images, most of them really good, imho. :)

I've decided to upgrade to 'Awesome' as I want to set up different sets of images. At the moment I've just been putting up my images from trips to Italy over the last few years, but I just don't want to post random images, and the free package doesn't allow me to organise my images as I would like. I think the analytical features may be interesting too.

I could have upgraded for half price on Boxing Day because they had an offer on, but I didn't have access to an internet connection. :( :bang: :LOL:

I only upgraded due to the sale on Boxing Day..

I know what you mean I've seen images that weren't anything special but have thousands of views and likes, where as I struggle to even get views...not that my pictures are special.

I would also like to know what the difference between friends and followers is. I thought that friend were people you follow that follow , but I've got followers that I follow as we'll ??

I would also like to know what the difference between friends and followers is. I thought that friend were people you follow that follow , but I've got followers that I follow as we'll ??

I meant followers, not friends. :bonk:

I'm afraid it's exactly this, a copy of Flickr comment me to comment you type thing :(

Sad, but I suppose it was probably inevitable. If people comment on my pics I'll go and see what their pics are like, and comment if I think any are particularly good, and if they have a stunning set of pics I'll follow them. Then they'll show up in my 'flow', which is the option I use most. I'll use it as I think it was meant to be used. :shrug:

As an aside, I had a message the other week that someone wanted to buy one of my pics, and did I want to set up my 'store'. So I went and did it, and then nothing. :( They must have changed their mind. If they existed at all. ;) The cynic in me thinks it may have been a 'prod' to activate my store. :LOL:

As an aside, I had a message the other week that someone wanted to buy one of my pics, and did I want to set up my 'store'. So I went and did it, and then nothing. :( They must have changed their mind. If they existed at all. ;) The cynic in me thinks it may have been a 'prod' to activate my store. :LOL:

Spooky I had exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago :LOL: have to admit it though the quality on 500px is superb, compared too Flickr explore :clap:

Pork said:
have to admit it though the quality on 500px is superb, compared too Flickr explore :clap:

I agree with that, never understood flickr explore, for example everyday there seems to be a point and shoot picture of a London bus and or a uk police car :s

The quality of 500px editor favs is amazing, although there is far more tendency for highly processed shots it seems, which is fine, just different to flickr.

I've renewed my 500px account on Boxing Day, don't really use it much, most of my contacts are only on flickr and even with all it's flaws and lack of innovation still prefer it.

I've just checked flickr explore right now and there you go, there is a shot of a uk bus and a police car, crazy!

I'm afraid it's exactly this, a copy of Flickr comment me to comment you type thing :(

I just use it to upload my best pics now, as cant be bothered with the "nice pic" crowd.

Really like your work, you all show me up I am afraid

Deleted my account a couple of weeks ago when I slowly realised that every single picture on that site is exactly the same. It's like the entire content is posted by a single photographer.

Also sick of seeing people getting high scores on their photos because of their huge community support rather than actual ability with a camera. It's like Flickr comments on steroids.

I've been using 500px since the beginning of the year and, overall, I've enjoyed it. You have to get past all three nude shots, and people blatantly voting for votes... But there's such a wealth of talent on there, its a great place to learn things like composition as an new photographer.

I've been using 500px since the beginning of the year and, overall, I've enjoyed it. You have to get past all three nude shots, and people blatantly voting for votes... But there's such a wealth of talent on there, its a great place to learn things like composition as an new photographer.

I think thats it really, 500px is flickr minus the snapshots, almost like "a photographers flickr", as such it makes a great inspiration and learning tool. There is an element of reciprocal likes but with such a large throughput of fresh images any good images need the initial audience of a users followers to be propelled up the ranks to a wider audience. I certainly have never liked a naff photo because someone liked one of mine.

I have added / followed all the newcomers in this thread

Last edited:
Ebilpirate said:
I think thats it really, 500px is flickr minus the snapshots, almost like "a photographers flickr", as such it makes a great inspiration and learning tool. There is an element of reciprocal likes but with such a large throughput of fresh images any good images need the initial audience of a users followers to be propelled up the ranks to a wider audience. I certainly have never liked a naff photo because someone liked one of mine.

I have added / followed all the newcomers in this thread

...of which I am one. Cheers!

Back