Bargains Thread

are you covered by paying by paypal and then to collect the goods in person (which is sorta the same thing).

No, I just quoted the section that says anything collected in person is not covered.

How is that scenario not also collecting the goods in person?

They don't really know until there's a dispute and then you can't provide any proof you've sold or received the item, as, unlike with RM recorded delivery, there's no paper trail with items collected in person.

Well I'm still confused as on ebay you can return goods for a valid reason and get your money back with added protection of Paypal, but although ebay own gumtree there would seem to be different rules.

No, I just quoted the section that says anything collected in person is not covered.

How is that scenario not also collecting the goods in person?

Well I dunno there must be ways of beating the system and get protection but it all goes off topic with from sensible to silly suggestions and the mods might not like it ;)

Last edited:
Well I'm still confused as on ebay you can return goods for a valid reason and get your money back with added protection of Paypal, but although ebay own gumtree there would seem to be different rules.

I think that you're confusing several different concepts, Brian. Buyer protection will be separate from ordinary returns or other policies offered between sellers and buyers. Payment protection presumably only applies in cases where a dispute is formally lodged with PayPal. For instance, I've returned items to sellers on eBay without needing to lodge a dispute or needing to invoke any buyer protection services.

Now, PayPal aren't saying that you're forbidden to sell or collect items in person, only that they will NOT offer buyer/seller protection in those instances—whether you've bought on eBay, Gumtree, and what have you. You suggest that you could work around this, but it's pretty plain that you cannot according to their policies.

Sure, you could privately agree to returns, exchanges, partial refunds, etc. with other buyers/sellers, if that's what you're meaning when you mention 'beating the system', but those sorts of reasonable people are often not the folks that you would be raising disputes with that would invoke buyer/seller protection in the first place. If it does go to a dispute though and you're not within the rules, you could be in trouble.

Basically, once a dispute is raised with PayPal, if you've bought/collected in person and the other party says as much, you're not going to have much of a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
I have thought about this recently having bought and sold a few things on Gumtree. My interpretation of the rules is that Paypal protection seems to focus on postal/distance transactions. It has helpfully protected me on a few occasion from dodgy ebayers. I guess with Gumtree and any other face to face transactions the assumption is that you can personally undertake a level of 'due dilligance' that would not be possible across a distance.

Basically Brian, if you buy anything from these dodgy geezers in the f&c section :p, be sure not to agree a face to face transaction ....Instead, sort out a postal deal ( even if you live next door to each other! lol) then you can "stuff" him through PayPal once you receive the goods:ROFLMAO:

As for GumTree, ...don't bother, we sell better kit on here!;)

Basically Brian, if you buy anything from these dodgy geezers in the f&c section :p, be sure not to agree a face to face transaction ....Instead, sort out a postal deal ( even if you live next door to each other! lol) then you can "stuff" him through PayPal once you receive the goods:ROFLMAO:

As for GumTree, ...don't bother, we sell better kit on here!;)

Indeed Asha you are right about classifieds here and should be safer.... but you know me I've been looking for ages for a Nikon 105mm f2.5 for £10-£20 and erm not with a bent barrel :D

I've just found 4 double sided glass plate holders with dark slides for a Speed Graphic.
I'll have to check the size of them but I think they are 1/4 plate.

Anyone interested?
Gong free :)

I've just found 4 double sided glass plate holders with dark slides for a Speed Graphic.
I'll have to check the size of them but I think they are 1/4 plate.

Anyone interested?
Gong free :)
@Asha would these fit that Ruby Reflex I've got?

quite possible Nick......thing is there are so many variations in external dimensions of these holders that it's a hit 'n miss affair if you don't have the original ones to your kit

Is it possible to get a pic up of the back of your Ruby along with a pic from Ken @kendo1 of the holders?

quite possible Nick......thing is there are so many variations in external dimensions of these holders that it's a hit 'n miss affair if you don't have the original ones to your kit

Is it possible to get a pic up of the back of your Ruby along with a pic from Ken @kendo1 of the holders?

I'll look them out and grab a pic with dimensions.

Hi Nick,
Have a look on the back of your Ruby.
The horizontal grooves where the holder slides in ....are they both "solid" pieces of wood from left to right or is there a cut out on the top one about a third in from the lhs?
If these holders from Ken are no good for you then i actually might have a holder knocking about ....My Ruby died so it was sold on as it wasn't financially viable for repair, although i got my money back on it purely for the lens:)
I think i hung onto a holder but I'll have to dig in the depths to find it......I may not find my way back! :D

I'll look them out and grab a pic with dimensions.

Hi Nick,
Have a look on the back of your Ruby.
The horizontal grooves where the holder slides in ....are they both "solid" pieces of wood from left to right or is there a cut out on the top one about a third in from the lhs?
If these holders from Ken are no good for you then i actually might have a holder knocking about ....My Ruby died so it was sold on as it wasn't financially viable for repair, although i got my money back on it purely for the lens:)
I think i hung onto a holder but I'll have to dig in the depths to find it......I may not find my way back! :D

Thanks folks, I'll have a look when I get home.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-cam...-olympus-trip35-samsung-camcorder-/1156049970

I only just noticed this (posted 23 hours ago) but definitely worth a look if you're in East Yorkshire. It's a mixed lot for £40, but the Trip is worth £10-15 (check red flag comes up), there's an old Nikon non-AI 50mm f/1.4 attached to a Nikkormat (although they spelt it Nikkomat, which is the name that they had in Japan) which is hidden but in a half case so likely to be in good condition, and a Nikon EM with a lens (likely to be a 50mm f/1.8 Series E), and what looks to be possibly a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 (the one with orange and white focusing distances), a Tamron 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Adaptall-2 (the Nikon mount on that alone is worth £10).

An intriguing lot!

Dammit! I should check this site more often. All sold now. That was 10 minutes drive from my house and I've wanted a new Oly Trip ever since I tried to fix mine and downgraded it to 'ornament' status.

Looked the glass slide holders out from the MiLs loft where they have been stored since I moved house 14 years ago...
...and took pics of them today.
020 by Ken, on Flickr
019 by Ken, on Flickr
018 by Ken, on Flickr

1 x Speed Graflex holder and 3 unnamed. All double sided. They take standard 1/4 plate : 3 1/4" x 4 1/4".
My Grandad used them for film negatives up to the late 60's.

Looked the glass slide holders out from the MiLs loft where they have been stored since I moved house 14 years ago...
...and took pics of them today.
020 by Ken, on Flickr
019 by Ken, on Flickr
018 by Ken, on Flickr

1 x Speed Graflex holder and 3 unnamed. All double sided. They take standard 1/4 plate : 3 1/4" x 4 1/4".
My Grandad used them for film negatives up to the late 60's.

Not going to fit the Ruby unfortunately.

They're free to a good home :) if someone can use them.

Was just browsing the Calumet website to buy some more film, and I see they have a 10% off discount code for film before the end of March, just by using the voucher code DEVELOPING. Their prices are actually incredibly good anyway, and if you spend £50 or more it's free next day delivery too, which is ace.

I've just bought a box of 120 Ektar 100, a box of 120 Portra 400, a box of 120 Tri-X and 3 rolls of 120 FP4+ (so 18 rolls) for £66.60 delivered. Can't complain about that especially when the same would have cost £98.77 from Silverprint or £91.17 from AG.

Plus, if you use Topcashback you get 5.25% back on top of that too ;)

Was just browsing the Calumet website to buy some more film, and I see they have a 10% off discount code for film before the end of March, just by using the voucher code DEVELOPING. Their prices are actually incredibly good anyway, and if you spend £50 or more it's free next day delivery too, which is ace.

I've just bought a box of 120 Ektar 100, a box of 120 Portra 400, a box of 120 Tri-X and 3 rolls of 120 FP4+ (so 18 rolls) for £66.60 delivered. Can't complain about that especially when the same would have cost £98.77 from Silverprint or £91.17 from AG.

Plus, if you use Topcashback you get 5.25% back on top of that too ;)

Thanks for the heads-up Carl. Twelve rolls of Velvia and Provia delivered for £65 :)

Nantwich, Cheshire

https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/classic-nikon-f4-and-lenses/1158971196

Nikon F4 and some lenses - the camera looks to be in good condition, so I'm surprised it's being listed as spares/repair. The steal is the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 for £30 - it also has a Hoya filter on the front, so the front element is likely to be very clean. All the gear in the listing looks pretty good, so I'm sure the lens is in excellent condition.

Bournemouth, Dorset

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/pentax-me-super-camera-with-3-lenses-/1159107189

This is good value rather than a stunning bargain. £30 for a Pentax ME Super, Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7, Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 and a Takumar 135mm f/2.5. Good signs - the camera has a half case on it (so the camera is likely to be in reasonably good condition), the 50mm is the better 50mm (compared to the f/2), the 28mm is the slower 28mm but it's highly regarded. This is a great value 3 lens starter kit.

Are you looking for one Keith?(I have the one that came in the bundle of cameras I got a couple of weeks ago.... I have put a roll through it, it seems to work... I just don't like it lol, screen is too dim for me, you can have it if you want one...).

The Yashica TLR has one of the brightest screens of most TLRs (it puts the Rolleicord to shame in that respect). Dirt and crud quite readily build up on the mirror and focusing screen, but it's very easy to access the mirror for cleaning - the hood should come off after removal of the 4 screws around the waist level viewfinder. Makes a world of difference.

The Yashica TLR has one of the brightest screens of most TLRs (it puts the Rolleicord to shame in that respect). Dirt and crud quite readily build up on the mirror and focusing screen, but it's very easy to access the mirror for cleaning - the hood should come off after removal of the 4 screws around the waist level viewfinder. Makes a world of difference.

My issue is due to somewhat poor eyesight, it's why I struggle with the Bronica as well... I'll have a look at that though...

Are you looking for one Keith?(I have the one that came in the bundle of cameras I got a couple of weeks ago.... I have put a roll through it, it seems to work... I just don't like it lol, screen is too dim for me, you can have it if you want one...).

Very kind of you! But, I already have a Yashica-mat, ta, I just need to get off my arse and fix the damned thing. I removed the WLF to clean the focussing screen, and one of the screws sheared when I tried to replace it. I bought a new set of screws, but somehow couldn't get them to screw in properly, at which point I gave up in a huff.

Of course, if that guy had posted an ad that said "weird box camera no idea if works £20 no time wasters" like most of the adverts on Gumtree, I'd have been on it like a shot.

If you're looking to get shot of it I've been half considering one for a while. Though I realise its getting dangerously close to out of bounds trading...

If you're looking to get shot of it I've been half considering one for a while. Though I realise its getting dangerously close to out of bounds trading...
Well, I probably won't use it no, and we're not exactly selling and buying....

Not going to fit the Ruby unfortunately.

Nick, get some pics and measurements of the back of Ruby to me, either on here or direct to my email ......I have a couple of holders from my old Ruby which you might be lucky with.

@TheBigYin If i can help Nick out, to keep within rules etc, I'll sort a suitable ad in classifieds / freebie section Actuallly seeing as its him, it'll be a classifieds .........£40 each plus international recorded postage:ROFLMAO:

St Helens, Merseyside

https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/film-camera-mixed-lenses-/1159398235

Most of the lenses are near enough worthless in this £20 lot, but that Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135mm f/3.5 is a popular M42 portrait lens, and the front element has a filter in front so the element should hopefully be clean. There also appears to be a Gossen light meter on the far left - I can't make out what model, I originally thought it might be a Lunasix but it's the wrong colour. If it is indeed a Gossen light meter, and it's functional, that easily covers the price of the lot.

It says it's a Leningrad 4 - Soviet knockoff of Gossen by the looks of it.

Oops, oversight on my part - that makes sense. That said, they can be surprisingly good - I once had a Leningrad 7 or 8, with a selenium cell, that was accurate to within a stop.

Back