weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

I really like the chaos around the Wren, it makes the subject much stronger.

I love the look on the Buzzards face too, with it's thousand yard stare.

Lovely shots. My favourite is the 3rd one.
Thank you :)
I love the wren shot. The oof foreground really works in this and makes for an interesting image.
Thanks Helen. I felt it was a bit 'different'.
I really like the chaos around the Wren, it makes the subject much stronger.

I love the look on the Buzzards face too, with it's thousand yard stare.
Thanks Nick. I liked the chaos too :) It is the closest I've managed to get to the buzzard yet - he's always around but at a distance.

all nice shots but the wrens a bit different from the usual bird shot and better for it

As someone who cannot do nature (other than my chickens!) I am impressed. The wren especially as they are so tiny. You did well to even spot it, let alone get an image. I did think it could do with being a bit closer, but when I saw you were at 840mm equiv I lol'd to myself and shut up. Very crisp for such long focal lengths! Really do like the oof/blurred grass as it adds loads to the image for me and elevates it beyond a simple "this is what it is" shot.

Sharpness can be a bit of a holy grail, especially when the internet browsers compress the images so much. I've stopped worrying too much about it. They look good to me :)

As someone who cannot do nature (other than my chickens!) I am impressed. The wren especially as they are so tiny. You did well to even spot it, let alone get an image. I did think it could do with being a bit closer, but when I saw you were at 840mm equiv I lol'd to myself and shut up. Very crisp for such long focal lengths! Really do like the oof/blurred grass as it adds loads to the image for me and elevates it beyond a simple "this is what it is" shot.

Sharpness can be a bit of a holy grail, especially when the internet browsers compress the images so much. I've stopped worrying too much about it. They look good to me :)
Thanks Ian. It is a big crop already, but perhaps I could have cropped a bit more. It's a shame the grasses weren't a bit more photogenic, but there it is.

Topaz definitely helped with the sharpness. I need to get more practice in with such a long lens - I find it very hard to hand hold it - perhaps time to try a monopod with it?

What's Topaz sharpen like? I've heard good things, but not sure if I want to spend £75 on it.
It can make a huge difference. I don't use it very often, but occasionally it is worthwhile - as it was in this case. I bought it as a bundle and wasn't going to renew my licence even though it wouldn't open my latest files, but my resolve crumbled when I got a discount voucher. It's definitely worth waiting for when they have special offers.

I use Photolab, so cannot see me using Topaz Denoise any more, but occasionally Gigapixel is also useful for the odd old photo. I think it cost me around £50 to renew my Topaz bundle.

Here is my wren before and after with Topaz - just a subtle difference.

20210418-BC130071_1_week15.jpg 20210418-BC130071_1_openWith_week15.jpg

And here is an example I did for a demo at my camera club. In fact I binned this photo as the next in the series was sharp, but it serves as an example.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.04.44-1.jpg

Week 16: Out and About

Unfortunately I have only been out and about as usual ... so I have more birds and in the interest of posting on time, this is what you get.

Although we have seen Mrs Kestrel before, I quite liked her pose where she seemed to be relaxing her wings and enjoying the sunshine. Blood on her beak and under her claws makes me think she's had a busy morning hunting.
Also caught an altercation between a corvid and a buzzard - just to give you something other than a kestrel to look at (Kestrels may be my new squirrels :LOL: ) A few blown highlights - I think exposing for a corvid and a buzzard in the sunshine might be the same as for a bride and groom!!

20210426-BC130873_1_week16.jpg

20210426-BC130361_1_week16.jpg

Kes shot is superb :)

Playing comment catchup!!

Alive
Really sharp image and great fit for the theme, I really struggle with bird images. The background works well to help focus your attention on the kestrel.

Easter
I have seen similar postbox additions in my town. They really make you smile and appreciate the efforts someone has put in to create it. The angle works well, being higher you would lose some of the postbox which is still integral to the image.

Spring
I've learnt something new, thanks for that. It's a really nice clean image, I might be tempted to crop slightly from the left at the same aspect ratio.

Snapper's Choice
Looks a bit of a quirky image, but I like it. The painterly grasses add to it. Is it handheld or on a tripod?

Out and about
It's a great posed image with the detail adding to its appeal. Your definitely making me jealous with the bird images you are achieving.

Lovely sharp image of the kestrel
Thanks Allan. Pretty much SOOC :)

Playing comment catchup!!

Alive
Really sharp image and great fit for the theme, I really struggle with bird images. The background works well to help focus your attention on the kestrel.

Easter
I have seen similar postbox additions in my town. They really make you smile and appreciate the efforts someone has put in to create it. The angle works well, being higher you would lose some of the postbox which is still integral to the image.

Spring
I've learnt something new, thanks for that. It's a really nice clean image, I might be tempted to crop slightly from the left at the same aspect ratio.

Snapper's Choice
Looks a bit of a quirky image, but I like it. The painterly grasses add to it. Is it handheld or on a tripod?

Out and about
It's a great posed image with the detail adding to its appeal. Your definitely making me jealous with the bird images you are achieving.
Gosh well done on catching up on comments - thank you for taking the time, but please don't feel under my pressure on my account! I've had to remind myself what I've shot ha ha!

The wren shot was hand held. My seedlings - it's funny, I sort of wanted more negative space and thought about shooting it again, but laziness got the better of me :)
I've never known a kestrel let me get so close - I can only think she is used to human activity nearby as she pays me so little attention.

Both those bird shots are wonderful. With a shot like the 'battle of Britain' I wouldn't worry too much about blown highlights, and TBH I can't really see a problem. It's weird how little birds attack big birds that in other circumstances could rip them to bits. We see it down here with seagulls/magpies and buzzards.

And here is an example I did for a demo at my camera club. In fact I binned this photo as the next in the series was sharp, but it serves as an example.

View attachment 316661

That's astounding. The left side is totally out of focus and on the right it is sharp. I think we can now really consign 'the camera never lies' as an expression to the bin.

Wow, that’s a superb photo of the kestrel a BB, I be so proud of that one.
Thanks Susie. I'd like to pretend it takes a skill and fieldcraft, but honestly this kestrel is quite near a path and just ignores me - perhaps she is used to me walking past most days. She is a beauty isn't she?

Both those bird shots are wonderful. With a shot like the 'battle of Britain' I wouldn't worry too much about blown highlights, and TBH I can't really see a problem. It's weird how little birds attack big birds that in other circumstances could rip them to bits. We see it down here with seagulls/magpies and buzzards.
Thanks Martin. I assume the smaller birds are protecting their food or their young, I'm not sure. I saw a Marsh Harrier doing the same to a White Tailed Eagle last week - I'd have shared that if it was within the previous 7 days, but it wasn't :)

That's astounding. The left side is totally out of focus and on the right it is sharp. I think we can now really consign 'the camera never lies' as an expression to the bin.
At times it is truly shocking what it can do. At other times it is not impressive at all and can look a bit weird. I don't resort to it very often, but it's nice to have in your arsenal just in case!

What a beautiful creature that kestrel is, and photographed in such nice light too.
Perfect.

Out and about
Lovely kestrel shot, I don't have any problem looking at kestrel or bird photos.
She posed for you nicely.
Good shot off the Buzzard to.
I have a pair of Kestrel's nesting in an Oak tree at home. I also have a pair of Tawney owls nesting in another tree. The owls are frequently chased by black birds, when they get too close to their nest.

What a beautiful creature that kestrel is, and photographed in such nice light too.
Perfect.
Thanks Iain. The light was much nicer than my previous similar shot.
Out and about
Lovely kestrel shot, I don't have any problem looking at kestrel or bird photos.
She posed for you nicely.
Good shot off the Buzzard to.
I have a pair of Kestrel's nesting in an Oak tree at home. I also have a pair of Tawney owls nesting in another tree. The owls are frequently chased by black birds, when they get too close to their nest.
Thanks Dominic. How fabulous to have them both so close! We don't have any tawny owls on the Isle of Wight as far as I know. This kestrel is amazingly tolerant of people (or perhaps it's just me - I am a Snow White wannabe :ROFLMAO: )

Love the picture of the Kestrel and its so sharp as well. I didn't spot the blood the first time around but it certainly adds to the story,

Love the picture of the Kestrel and its so sharp as well. I didn't spot the blood the first time around but it certainly adds to the story,
Thanks Simon. I didn't spot it when I was taking the photo, but her wings looked so relax and reminded me of how I might look after a Sunday dinner :ROFLMAO:

Week 17: Shapes and Technique - negative space

I had been wracking my brains trying to think how I could photograph these biscuit dies... tried to stick them on glasses, in my eyes etc . Today I went out to photograph some shapes in nature - hence the fern. When I got home I remembered a video I'd watched recently about composition - so this was my inspiration which took me a while to arrive at - slow as I am!

They are silver metal and the colour comes from tweaking the white balance.

I think I prefer the bottom left composition but I like the shimmer I've caught on the blue one (I know I could just rotate the image, but this was how I photographed them).

20210503-BC120981_1_week17.jpg
20210503-BC120808_1_week17.jpg

These were the other contenders... I quite liked the orange one, but it lacked the shimmer.

20210503-BC120985_week17.jpg 20210503-BC120981_M_week17.jpg 20210503-BC120981_2_week17.jpg

The video on composition is here
View: https://youtu.be/I1oPZO91mtw

Last edited:
I wondered what they were! I think this is a great shot - simple and complex at the same time with the different shapes, and I definitely prefer the blue. The fern shot is exquisite too - so much detail!

Nice simple shot, great for the theme and tech. I like the blue hue on it. The fern image is also very nice - isn't nature fantastic!

Out and about. A lovely shot.
Shapes... you've really caught a good colour by tweaking the white balance. Nicely composed.

I wondered what they were! I think this is a great shot - simple and complex at the same time with the different shapes, and I definitely prefer the blue. The fern shot is exquisite too - so much detail!
Thanks Simon :)
Nice simple shot, great for the theme and tech. I like the blue hue on it. The fern image is also very nice - isn't nature fantastic!
Thanks Jim - yes I was thinking about the golden ratio with ferns and their shapes but I couldn't find one with quite the right curl - perhaps they need to be a bit more mature.
Out and about. A lovely shot.
Shapes... you've really caught a good colour by tweaking the white balance. Nicely composed.
Thanks Helen. :)

Shapes
When I first saw these I thought they were some sort of back illuminated, touch screen buttons thingy's.
I really quite like it, the blue is a strong colour with the black.

Week 16: Out and About

Unfortunately I have only been out and about as usual ... so I have more birds and in the interest of posting on time, this is what you get.

Although we have seen Mrs Kestrel before, I quite liked her pose where she seemed to be relaxing her wings and enjoying the sunshine. Blood on her beak and under her claws makes me think she's had a busy morning hunting.
Also caught an altercation between a corvid and a buzzard - just to give you something other than a kestrel to look at (Kestrels may be my new squirrels :LOL: ) A few blown highlights - I think exposing for a corvid and a buzzard in the sunshine might be the same as for a bride and groom!!

View attachment 317025

View attachment 317024

Good shots Bebop, but the first one here is a cracker of a shot.

Shapes
When I first saw these I thought they were some sort of back illuminated, touch screen buttons thingy's.
I really quite like it, the blue is a strong colour with the black.
Ha ha! Thank you. They are very under used (never been used?) biscuit dies that go in a piping type tool.
I like those, they are like my Lensbaby aperture disks.
Hmm now there's a thought! They're probably not big enough, but could be an interesting experiment.
Good shots Bebop, but the first one here is a cracker of a shot.
Thanks Dave. I've seen this female kestrel many times. She seems very tolerant of people.

Week 18: Numbers - Tumbling Dice

I've been hatching this plan all week, and ended up doing it quite differently than I first envisaged which was as an in camera multi exposure. Not a great idea to photograph a sky reflection as a background when you want to do a composite, I have learned :LOL: It's taken me ages to process it, and then I did a quick film pack preset on top.

Lots of specs of dust included as a bonus, and I met my daily steps target chasing after a bouncing dice :)

20210513-BC131080-comp_week18.jpg

Two static and two bouncing about, very nicely done even the dust helps too.
Thanks Dave. I took a lot of shots, but it was surprising how few worked in the end. That dust.... grrrr! :ROFLMAO: I think the static just brought it back.

certainly looks to have taken some effort and well worth it
Thanks Allan... I perhaps should have spent some time cloning the dust too, but hey ho - wanted to get it done and I had a bit of fun :)

Dust-schmust.... I think it adds to the shot (as others have said)

Creates an image where doing something other than sitting on the internet can be a pastime. I think it works really well.

But that is a filthy sensor! :)

Dust-schmust.... I think it adds to the shot (as others have said)

Creates an image where doing something other than sitting on the internet can be a pastime. I think it works really well.

But that is a filthy sensor! :)
Ha ha thanks Ian. I am tempted to try it again after dusting with an anti-static thing. Hopefully not too much dust on my sensor. Really I wanted to do them falling vertically, but I didn't have a good background. The sky is reflected in a black glossy tv stand.

I am still finding the middle dice a bit mind boggling. I don't know how it has exposed like that.

Prefer the original. More real.

Probably in a minority though :)

Wabi-Sabi FTW

Back