weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Week 48: Living

Today I saw and photographed my first short eared owl - which sat sleepy and still for a long time, but eventually came back to the land of the living.
Thanks to @Compuwight for telling me where to look.

This is not as sharp as I'd like - it is a huge crop and taken at ISO 12,800, but I was very happy to get it.

20211202-BCR_8637_week48.jpg

Great capture, something magical about Owls .....

I have tried more than a few times to get that BIF shot but so far no luck.

Great capture, something magical about Owls .....

I have tried more than a few times to get that BIF shot but so far no luck.
Thanks Steve. I’ve spent many hours locally looking for them, and barn owls, with very little luck. It was too dark really, but I had to try. I just feel privileged to have seen it, so thank you!

Week 48: Living

Today I saw and photographed my first short eared owl - which sat sleepy and still for a long time, but eventually came back to the land of the living.
Thanks to @Compuwight for telling me where to look.

This is not as sharp as I'd like - it is a huge crop and taken at ISO 12,800, but I was very happy to get it.

View attachment 337067
That is superb, very well captured, I think I would have been ducking out of the way!!

Well spotted and shotted!

Excellent - brilliant to be able to capture a shot like that, and definitely hits the theme.
Although I don't use such software (yet) but have read about them, would something like Topaz Denoise sharpen it up a bit?

Excellent - brilliant to be able to capture a shot like that, and definitely hits the theme.
Although I don't use such software (yet) but have read about them, would something like Topaz Denoise sharpen it up a bit?
Thanks Simon. Topaz Sharpen can do pretty amazing stuff and is worth having in your arsenal. It can add weird artefacts or sometimes make things look unnatural, but it is pretty amazing. I haven't tried it on this particular image.. Topaz Denoise is also amazing, but I do prefer the denoise part of Photolab. (I am a bit of a software junky :LOL: I've even upgraded my On1 this last week too ). Maybe I'll have a go with Topaz Sharpen.

The first shot I took of this owl was accidentally at 1/25s at 700mm and I don't have the steadiest hands! This is what Topaz Sharpen managed, which I think is truly amazing.

20211202-BCR_8545_1_openWith-sharpen-Motion_DxO.jpg

@SimonH I just went to try it in Topaz Sharpen and had forgotten I had already tried it, but I preferred the results straight from Photolab - I had completely forgotten, but I have been doing a lot of playing recently.

Here was the topaz sharpen version, which to my mind does look sharper but also looks a bit less realistic - hard to explain, but it sort of looks more dotty. I'm not sure if you will be able to tell in the downsized version. It was ISO 12800 f/7.1 (widest possible), so really pushing the limits.

20211202-BCR_8637_1_1_openWith-sharpen-Motion_week48.jpg

Very striking and dramatic. Those orange eyes really draw the eye don't they. Very much a definition of alive.

@SimonH I just went to try it in Topaz Sharpen and had forgotten I had already tried it, but I preferred the results straight from Photolab - I had completely forgotten, but I have been doing a lot of playing recently.

Here was the topaz sharpen version, which to my mind does look sharper but also looks a bit less realistic - hard to explain, but it sort of looks more dotty. I'm not sure if you will be able to tell in the downsized version. It was ISO 12800 f/7.1 (widest possible), so really pushing the limits.

View attachment 337220
Yes, looks like the light was too much against you, but the main thing is a) you got the shot, and b) those eyes are sharp…….
I wouldn’t want to be a mouse or vole……..

Fantastic image, for me the slight blur on the wings definitely works.

Yes, looks like the light was too much against you, but the main thing is a) you got the shot, and b) those eyes are sharp…….
I wouldn’t want to be a mouse or vole……..
Thanks Simon, yes it was dinner time for owls, or breakfast! :)

Fantastic image, for me the slight blur on the wings definitely works.
Thanks Jim. Yes I don't mind the blurry wings, though I vaguely remember a judge giving negative comments on another bird shot as they weren't frozen. I think it shows the movement, but I wouldn't have minded the face being a bit sharper. It was an hour after sunset, so very challenging conditions.

Nicely captured. The body position, the eye contact and the blur in the wings add up to a compelling image.

Week 49: Still Life

I've been playing with studio flash. I think composition leaves a little to be desired, but it has been an interesting revision of using artificial lighting.

1st up are a couple of pieces which I think are probably silver, but possibly not. My grandmother worked in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham and I think these were pieces she made in her training, so possibly around 1915. I've no idea what the thing on the right is - possibly a tea caddy, any ideas? It is wonky, so I guess she may have had more to learn, or perhaps it has got damaged over the years. It does have a hallmark, but I can't see one on the jug. They need a clean, but I am nervous I might damage the finish. I must look up the hallmark.

20211214-BC134415_1_week49.jpg

Secondly some russian dolls. Two sets brought back by my father in law from when he worked there, and one from my travels. I suspect I brought back the less glamorous one, but I can't remember now ha ha!

20211214-BC134391_1_week49.jpg

Both are very well lit, I prefer the Russian dolls but I understand the sentimental value of the silver pieces and why you would choose that first

Both spot on for the theme

Both are very well lit, I prefer the Russian dolls but I understand the sentimental value of the silver pieces and why you would choose that first

Both spot on for the theme
Thanks Allan. Yes the silver was chosen for its personal meaning. It was also harder to light with the reflections.

Both nice shots but it's the silverware for me.

I like them both but lean towards the Russian dolls, but it's a close call.

I've been playing with studio flash
Looks like a bit more than playing to me :) Using flash to take a picture of something shiny is one of the trickier aspects of lighting IMO and I think you've done a grand job. I think wonkiness is probably down to age. That handle against the dark background looks stunning. I'd be tempted (if I wanted to play around a bit more) to try and set it off against a dark background on a bit of black weed matting. Maybe focus just on the jug and go right in close to extract the lovely curve of the handle.

Great job Be.

Week 49: Still Life

I've been playing with studio flash. I think composition leaves a little to be desired, but it has been an interesting revision of using artificial lighting.

1st up are a couple of pieces which I think are probably silver, but possibly not. My grandmother worked in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham and I think these were pieces she made in her training, so possibly around 1915. I've no idea what the thing on the right is - possibly a tea caddy, any ideas? It is wonky, so I guess she may have had more to learn, or perhaps it has got damaged over the years. It does have a hallmark, but I can't see one on the jug. They need a clean, but I am nervous I might damage the finish. I must look up the hallmark.

View attachment 338089

Secondly some russian dolls. Two sets brought back by my father in law from when he worked there, and one from my travels. I suspect I brought back the less glamorous one, but I can't remember now ha ha!

View attachment 338088

Two very interesting sets of props for these shots - I love the Silverware, thought I'm coming out in a cold sweat at the prospect of trying to shoot something with so many reflective surfaces... There's a reason why when I was doing a bunch of still life work, I used Pewter rather than Silver (and not just because I'm cheap...) It's very difficult to control and get interesting light interactions on what are basically mirrored surfaces. As such, often the shot comes out as a very plain image, and more resembles a product shot than a still life... (my definition FWIW, product shot lacks the "back story" of a still life - a good still life leads you into it, makes you think "why did those things come together" - whereas a product shot lets you see the product clearly and accurately,,,)

The Matryoshka's are definitely more my kind of props - colourful, non reflective, and laden with lots of potential hints toward telling a story... I'd have probably been very stereotypical and doen something with a vodka bottle, or one of my old Russian Cameras or Wristwatches....

Both nice shots but it's the silverware for me.
Thanks Dave

I like them both but lean towards the Russian dolls, but it's a close call.
Thanks Simon. I did set them up as a 2 and a 1 (the glamorous ones were gossiping about the less glamorous one :) but thought they looked better like this.

Looks like a bit more than playing to me :) Using flash to take a picture of something shiny is one of the trickier aspects of lighting IMO and I think you've done a grand job. I think wonkiness is probably down to age. That handle against the dark background looks stunning. I'd be tempted (if I wanted to play around a bit more) to try and set it off against a dark background on a bit of black weed matting. Maybe focus just on the jug and go right in close to extract the lovely curve of the handle.

Great job Be.
Thanks Ian. It's a while since I had a play and did do an inordinate amount of faffing!! I have a deficit of backgrounds and props. This was just a cream wall in the background and a tablecloth. I think I need to invest in a black background as I agree, it would look better. Do you have any good sources you could recommend for backgrounds?

Two very interesting sets of props for these shots - I love the Silverware, thought I'm coming out in a cold sweat at the prospect of trying to shoot something with so many reflective surfaces... There's a reason why when I was doing a bunch of still life work, I used Pewter rather than Silver (and not just because I'm cheap...) It's very difficult to control and get interesting light interactions on what are basically mirrored surfaces. As such, often the shot comes out as a very plain image, and more resembles a product shot than a still life... (my definition FWIW, product shot lacks the "back story" of a still life - a good still life leads you into it, makes you think "why did those things come together" - whereas a product shot lets you see the product clearly and accurately,,,)

The Matryoshka's are definitely more my kind of props - colourful, non reflective, and laden with lots of potential hints toward telling a story... I'd have probably been very stereotypical and doen something with a vodka bottle, or one of my old Russian Cameras or Wristwatches....
Many thanks Mark. As mentioned above, I did do a lot of faffing about to get the shots and I am severely lacking in good props. It took me age to buy lights because I knew there was so much other gear I'd end up needing! Even when I was taking these shots, to me they seemed more like product shots than a well composed still life. My only excuse is I thought it was Thursday and I was almost late submitting it. I spent the rest of the day awaiting the next theme before I realised it was only Tuesday :ROFLMAO:

I wish I'd thought about the vodka bottle. I did try separating the glamorous ones as i f they were excluding the other one from their chat, and I also tried adding in my russian spoon, but plumped for this in the end, since it was already Thursday.... not! :rolleyes:

Two very nice images Bebop, both bang on but my pick is the first one very nicely lit and a lovely thing to own.
Many thanks Dave. I'm loving the new profile pic with Susie in her Xmas outfit :)

Do you have any good sources you could recommend for backgrounds?

For a black background, the best I came up with was to get some distance between subject & background and point your lights at the subject making sure none spills onto whatever is behind the subject.. If you're using flash, presumably you're down at 1/125, ISO 100 and f/11 ish. If you're in a dim room (draw the curtains etc), the only thing that will provide light is the flash, and the background will be black because there's not enough light to expose what's there - especially if you have the distance.

These photos were all shot with a similar technique of setting the exposure to allow only enough light for the flash to expose and let the background just go black not because it was black, but because there wasn't enough light to register the exposure.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2ir2ACm

View: https://flic.kr/p/2kjCxTE

View: https://flic.kr/p/2mRbMpR

For a black background, the best I came up with was to get some distance between subject & background and point your lights at the subject making sure none spills onto whatever is behind the subject.. If you're using flash, presumably you're down at 1/125, ISO 100 and f/11 ish. If you're in a dim room (draw the curtains etc), the only thing that will provide light is the flash, and the background will be black because there's not enough light to expose what's there - especially if you have the distance.

These photos were all shot with a similar technique of setting the exposure to allow only enough light for the flash to expose and let the background just go black not because it was black, but because there wasn't enough light to register the exposure.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2ir2ACm

View: https://flic.kr/p/2kjCxTE

View: https://flic.kr/p/2mRbMpR
Thanks Ian. I was thinking you meant for the cloth should be black as well. Those are lovely shots and the black background works really well.

I did start with zero ambient light, and moved my table away from the wall and tried to angle the light for no spill, but plainly wasn't managing that. I only had it on 1/50 ISO100 and f/7.1 as originally I was going to focus stack the images and I am limited to 1/50s for that.

I suppose I could have moved a little further back, but not much before I run out of space for the tripod. My soft box is huge unfortunately ( I picked it up cheap at the photography show when I knew absolutely nothing. I'm still only on page 2.... or maybe halfway down the first page!). Perhaps it would be easier with a smaller one, or I need to flag it to stop the spill. It is still set up, so I may have another play.... and try out your more detailed shot of the jug :)

and tried to angle the light for no spill, but plainly wasn't managing that.
Well knowing what you need to achieve is half the battle. Doing it is the other half and always tricky in limited space.

Week 50: Minuscule and technique composite

I've had a lot of fun taking this shot. Extension tube plus macro lens under studio lights. Oh my goodness, I had terrible trouble getting the camel on the table, he completely got the hump until I tempted him with some tasty leaves.
It's the first time I've used Affinity like this so was great practice for making selections and using a gradient.

20211219-BCR_8905WEEK50composite.jpg

That is brilliant Bebop , very clever, I love it.

Very well thought out Bee, great idea well executed (y)

Amazing, thats certainly thinking out of the box Bebop!. Where did you find the tiny camel?

Back