weekly Bernd's 52 of 2016 - week 52: Celebrate added and done

Topical - like it - think the B&W works well, a great interpretation and like the crop of the image :)

Danger(ous) - Seen oh so often and is / can be so dangerous (guilty of it myself) - great opportune capture minor minor minor crit (and i am being EXTREMELY picky here, sorry) is the blown lighting on the "Wait" sign (i know, i know) but I think seeing that would have added another dimension (but it also doesn't distract, so ignore me!)

Thank you all for your comments. :)

is the blown lighting on the "Wait" sign (i know, i know) but I think seeing that would have added another dimension (but it also doesn't distract, so ignore me!)
I didn't notice it on the back of my camera or in the histogram at the time, but I agree with you. But short of creating a HDR type composite I don't know how I could have handled it if I had noticed it at the time...

wonder if SC on the red man would add some punch...
I tried to do it quickly after reading your comment, but quickly and photoshop don't go together for me. There's a lot of light spillage around the little red man, so I think a lot of work required to do it properly. I might try give it another go though...

I struggled quite a bit with finding a subject that fits the theme camouflage. This doesn't really work because the bird is bright green, but I thing he matches the texture of the tree he's hiding in. Kind of...

06 Camouflage: Ring-Necked Parakeet
by Bernd, on Flickr

Hi Bernd. Camouflaged looks really good in b&w and especially as it helps conceal the bird ... took me a while to figure it out. Lovely detail and shading. Nice contrast between the daffs in Living World. Both spot on target theme-wise.

Nice shot, great contrast between the living and dead flowers, nice work!

I like the idea, cant help feeling that it would have worked better from the other side IYSWIM.

Hi Bernd.
Not sure what I'm supposed to see in the camouflage shot, so I guess it's spot on theme ;)
The living world is an interesting shot. The obvious way to have shot it would have been with the sharp focus the other way around, so well done doing something non obvious with what could easily have been an obvious shot.
Only slight crit is I may have tried for a deeper DoF to keep all of the old withered stem and flower in sharp focus.

Comouflaged....Well it certainly took me a while to spot him! I'd say job done :)

Nice idea for Living World. Personally I might have shot it the other way around...living in focus and dying in relief.

topical - I agree it needs more definition on the skin,but it does fit the theme.
Danger - good Idea for the theme
Camouflage - didn't spot him straight away so certainly fits the theme nice shot
living world - I agree with viv1969 I too would have preferred the living one in focus and the other oof.

Living world is interesting but I agree with the above comments about focusing on the living. :thinking:

Nice shot, great contrast between the living and dead flowers for the living world theme.

Hi Bernd... camouflage is a tough one - not as strong for me as some of your other shots, even though it's on theme. I wonder if colour might work better here?

Living world is a great interpretation of the theme - I really like this and it tells a story even as a simply image. Well shot with good choice of DOF and composition (y)

Camouflaged looks really good in b&w and especially as it helps conceal the bird ... took me a while to figure it out. Lovely detail and shading. Nice contrast between the daffs in Living World. Both spot on target theme-wise.
Thank you Carl!

Yeah, I like the contract between new and old. I feel there's a better composition...just feels a little close on the LHS.
Cheers Andy, I agree, I'd like to have had a little more space on the left.

Nice shot, great contrast between the living and dead flowers, nice work!
Thanks Sam!

I like the idea, cant help feeling that it would have worked better from the other side IYSWIM.
Thanks Jeff, I tried to be clever going for the 'other' shot... :cool:

The living world is an interesting shot. The obvious way to have shot it would have been with the sharp focus the other way around, so well done doing something non obvious with what could easily have been an obvious shot.
Only slight crit is I may have tried for a deeper DoF to keep all of the old withered stem and flower in sharp focus.
Thank you Tim.

I like your dafs, nice composition
Thank you Clive.

Nice idea for Living World. Personally I might have shot it the other way around...living in focus and dying in relief.

living world - I agree with viv1969 I too would have preferred the living one in focus and the other oof.

....think I have to agree about having the living one in focus for this theme.

Unusual idea for sure, for me I'd prefer the 'Live' daffodil in focus for 'Living World' but like your idea and the DoF still works well :)

Living world is interesting but I agree with the above comments about focusing on the living. :thinking:
Well well well, thank you Ruth, minx, Susie, DK and David. I tried to avoid the obvious shot, but it seems I have missed the theme with that :eek:

Nice shot, great contrast between the living and dead flowers for the living world theme.

Had to look hard for bird well done,
living world could have had more impact if the living flower was prominent, IMHO

camouflage is a tough one - not as strong for me as some of your other shots, even though it's on theme. I wonder if colour might work better here?

Living world is a great interpretation of the theme - I really like this and it tells a story even as a simply image. Well shot with good choice of DOF and composition (y)
Thank you Lee, Walter and Paul!

All comments greatly appreciated.

This is the colour version of my photo of the ring-necked parakeet. Works not too well for "camouflage"...

Last edited:
Camo - works really well in B&W and took me a while to spot - nice and sharp - like it (would have spotted it earlier in the colour version, just!)

Living World - liking the contrast of the head and dying husk - nice

Spiky - nice interpretation and the people "work" and give it some perspective but may distract from the spikes ?

Yes, the presence of people gives meaning to the existence of the fence. I like the contrast between the sharpness of the fence against the movement of the public. :clap:

Quite rounded/blunt spikes for me, and although nicely picked out with the DoF compared to the crowd I too feel they pull my eye too much, but with the people scrolled off the railings against the building alone work very well for me, the diagonal assists this too :)

I'll agree with DK's assessment - doesn't scream spiky spiky to me, and there's a slight softening of those spike towards the left of frame - perhaps a smaller aperture would have belped more? But I like the people and the angle - it's a good shot and well done for keeping up with the weeks.

Really liked the camo image. Others are great too living is fine as is for me. Spiky I do like the image and the blurry peopl mulling around but I guess the star of the show (spiky) is not prominent enough.

Gaz

Love the OOF and slightly OOF FG people. Forget the spikes.

Spiky- I like you picture as it is but agree for the theme it works better without the people.

Thank you for all your comments. I'll see if I can get a shot of Buckingham Palace without the people, but that's probable going to be difficult...

Loads of "artificial" happening there Bernd, nicely presented (y)

Between them, they probably account for many if not all the e's that exist so definitely meets the theme. Nice take with that movement and especially, as Walter says, those drops caught mid-air. :clap:

Yes, timing is always key and you've done well to catch that mid-air. I'll be totally honest and say I don't find the lighting and exposure work perfectly for me, but it is a very difficult scene to light, with the shiny/glary crisp packet, pouring liquid, glass and plastic bottle. In fact, I don't think you could have chosen a more difficult lighting challenge! Softer lighting (e.g. window light a lot closer) might have helped a bit, but it's always going to be a challenge.

Good scene for the theme though.

Back