weekly Bernd's 52 of 2016 - week 52: Celebrate added and done

Nice dof - might have been tempted to leave more 'negative' space to one side of the tricycle to add to the isolation feeling.

Hi Bernd... not sure how I missed your thread as well!

Old - lovely colours and nicely processed to get the most out of those blues. Perfectly on theme and well captured.
Metal - certainly is, but I find the bright overhead sun a bit harsh on this one. Perhaps zooming in to a section of roof and making more of those alternating columns of highlight and shadow? Good spot though and I think there's an even stronger picture in that subject to come :)
Captive - love it. I genuinely wouldn't change a thing about this shot because as far as street photography goes, it works for me. It's even better (unusually) for the lack of eye contact as it tells more of a story to me. Super spot and perfectly on theme.
Miniature - a good idea and solid composition. I kind of wonder if it's lacking a touch of sharpness on the nearest figure, but it might just be the way it's uploaded to the forum?
Happy - Not my favourite, I'm afraid. Given the quality of your earlier shots, I hope you don't mind my critiquing this: wonky horizon, exact mid-placement between the two trees and side on profile instead of more face-on all weaken the shot for me. Also, DOF choice leads your eye to wander around rather than focus in on the subject (also not helped by the face being turned away). I think the same idea could work well, but might need those sorts of adjustments to really make it sing for me. Sorry!
Abandoned - nice take. I like the green on green and the composition works really well, together with DOF choice. Is that a slightly wonky horizon I spot again, though ;)

Some super snaps there and very much looking forward to more! Hope you don't mind my harsher crit on Happy - the rest are top drawer :)

Berndt, your captive shot is sooooo right.

Hi Bernd,
Abandoned works well for the theme. A slight shame that the trike isn't pink as then being a complimentary colour it would stand out more.
The horizon is not horizontal, but for all I know, you were on a hill.

Abandoned -- good shot but I agree more empty space around it would have given more abandoned feel to it

Thank you for all your helpful comments! I agree that "happy" is not one if my finest pictures... :(

I have a bit of catching up to do, week 6 and 7 won't be forgottten.

Not the most obvious take on the theme Bernd. Photographically it works well - the b&w treatment, detail in the skin, lighting and composition too are all good.

topical
ˈtɒpɪk(ə)l/
adjective

1. (of a subject) of immediate relevance, interest, or importance owing to its relation to current events.
    "a popular topical affairs programme"
    synonyms: current, up to date, up to the minute, contemporary, recent;

2. MEDICINE
    relating or applied directly to a part of the body.
    "topical steroid creams"

It seems a few people are going for the second definition...

Hi Berndt, I really like that shot for topical. I also like your choice of DOF as the important bits on the cream are still sharp to my eye. It looks a bit like a white slug :) Not sure if I'd prefer all of his tail to be in frame or not but it's still a top draw shot for me - well done on a difficult week!

Good work. The undulations in the skin make for a far more interesting composition than if it were flat and since the focal point is perfect, I'm personally not too concerned if the far side of the blob is in focus.

Ironically, if it were a giant slug traversing a landscape it would have been very topical gven today's news. :eek:

Nicely done! I didn't get the interpretation but the definition is spot on so full marks ! I like the image with the highlight of the moisture giving the sense of textures against the skin. I also like the shallowness the narrow dof gives. I like a bit of softness in images - especially if they are bits of people!!

Thank you for all your comments. I gather most would favour a slightly deeper DoF... Unfortunately there's only so much you can do with a long macro lens at short distances. I might give it another go with the lens a few stops down and the flash a few stops up.

:clap:Hi Bernd. Very nice lighting and a typical nighttime urban scene. Like the movement blur and the starburst from that lamppost.

Very nice image Bernd fits the theme especially in London where you take you like into your own hands crossing the road!

I like to composition with the front of the car just appearing on the left the B&W conversion really suits it

Not so sure that cross on the red is really danger ;)
But, that's a great shot of a Charles Holden station you have there. The B&W processing works nicely and the crossing provides a good leading line into the building.
Little bit of a shame that part of the top is cropped, but then perhaps you were aiming for the street rather than the station to fit the theme.

:clap:Hi Bernd. Very nice lighting and a typical nighttime urban scene. Like the movement blur and the starburst from that lamppost.
Thank you Carl.

Danger - I also like movement blur and the starburst from the lamppost.
Thank you Mandy.

Definitely a time to take care Bernd, I like the station in the background, and an excellent choice in the b&w.
Thank you Susie, indeed time to take care!

I like to composition with the front of the car just appearing on the left the B&W conversion really suits it
Thank you Mark, I took quite a few shots till I had one where everything came together.

Not so sure that cross on the red is really danger ;)
But, that's a great shot of a Charles Holden station you have there. The B&W processing works nicely and the crossing provides a good leading line into the building.
Little bit of a shame that part of the top is cropped, but then perhaps you were aiming for the street rather than the station to fit the theme.
Thank you Tim. Even if it's not against the law, it is against the rules and bad things may happen if you break the rules :eek:

Yes, I should have been more careful about the edges of my frame, but I had gone wider I would have got the block of flats they put in the mid 30s on top of the tube station in the picture. And that is a rather ugly roof extension...

Nice one Bernd, catching the motion blur of the boy crossing the road when he shouldn't. Lots more going on too.

Hi Bernd, good strong image for the dangerous theme, liking the depth to the image and the B&W adds a lot too.

Good take on the dangerous theme, the car bonnet to the left adding to the danger element, even though its on a different road, it still works. Conversion looks good and the movement gives it some dynamism.

I like the textures in topical :)

Danger - i love they way they all just look like htey are crossing regardless :clap:

Back