Big Bang or Gradual Move to Fujifilm

And? I didn't say they need to have the equivalent gear, I said quite clearly there's nothing you can do with that gear that cannot be done with Fuji systems. TS is easily replicated in post, most people just don't bother. I mean, what has it done for the image with the little girl? only blurred half of her for no apparent reason

You would be faking it in post.

I am shooting it in real, in camera.

I try to avoid fake if wherever I can....if you want to fake it, that's fine. I rather not.

And???? the point is there is no such glass in Fuji, and my point previous goes not just the camera, the system, there are more lenses in Canon to get shots that you can't get in Fuji. Period. It's a fact.

Sure, you can fake it afterwards....

But try faking this or the other shot with the pigs, it is F/2.8. Shoot that at 2.8 and have the focal plane to be focus on different things all at the same time.

eUJragE.jpg

You pretty much made my point. You are happy to fake it, you are happy that "no one will notice.".

I don't, I want more than that.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Most people wouldn't know the difference between my 5D2 and 5D4 images but I do. !

In respect of the second quote would you apply this to the product photography you mention in the first quote? I am not disputing what you say, just interested as I struggle to see the difference between say 5D and a 5D iii images taken in good conditions.

Exactly!!! In a controlled condition, there is no difference or hardly any.

I shoot often in more extreme conditions...which you agree right that in those instances, it will make a difference ?

Last edited:
I really dislike the use of a TSE lens to create a shifted plane of focus that looks plain daft, as in the two shots above.
They were produce to improve drawing and focus not destroy it.
They were designed to give non movement cameras some of the advantages normal in large format.
When used as above, it might be fashionable and gimmicky but it is hardly professional.

Reactions: Nod
I really dislike the use of a TSE lens to create a shifted plane of focus that looks plain daft, as in the two shots above.
They were produce to improve drawing and focus not destroy it.
They were designed to give non movement cameras some of the advantages normal in large format.
When used as above, it might be fashionable and gimmicky but it is hardly professional.

I didn't do it to impress you with what a TSE lens can do. I did it to show you what a TSE do do.

As for "hardly professional"

This is the number of photos shot with it, you can work out the percentage that it is used, professional enough?

157/49,922.

zGnXDZg.png

You will no doubt ask, why buy a £1,000 lens to take 157 photos?!

I have it in my bag so I can take the odd photo or 2 in a wedding, sometimes to compliment the rest of the set, something different, something nobody else have. If it's not there, nobody would miss it, but I do that extra 1% to differentiate myself.

I go for that little 1% extra.

You will then ask...might as well fake it, nobody will notice....

And we are back at square 1.

Last edited:

I try to avoid fake if wherever I can....if you want to fake it, that's fine. I rather not.

And???? the point is there is no such glass in Fuji, and my point previous goes not just the camera, the system, there are more lenses in Canon to get shots that you can't get in Fuji. Period. It's a fact.

But try faking this or the other shot with the pigs, it is F/2.8. Shoot that at 2.8 and have the focal plane to be focus on different things all at the same time.

eUJragE.jpg

You pretty much made my point. You are happy to fake it, you are happy that "no one will notice.".

Feel all musical now

Whole lotta faking goin on
Faking all over
Fake rattle and roll
Fake your booty

Just asking, but is any of this Helping the original question, glad I did not ask it.

The whole point is....

It seems 99% of the people would not notice the difference.

There is 1% that do notice the difference between the 2 systems.

If the OP can see the difference, stay. If he doesn't. Jump ship.

Will he notice the less lens choices?
Will he care for the weight difference?
Will he care for the difference in battery life?
Will he care for bokeh difference?
Will he like the ergonomics?

I can only answer for me. I notice all of the above.

But you know what, which no one has pointed it out.

I am keeping the Fuji.

Last edited:
I didn't do it to impress you with what a TSE lens can do. I did it to show you what a TSE do do.

As for "hardly professional"

This is the number of photos shot with it, you can work out the percentage that it is used, professional enough?

157/49,922.

zGnXDZg.png

You will no doubt ask, why buy a £1,000 lens to take 157 photos?!

I have it in my bag so I can take the odd photo or 2 in a wedding, sometimes to compliment the rest of the set, something different, something nobody else have. If it's not there, nobody would miss it, but I do that extra 1% to differentiate myself.

I want that extra mile. That is my mentality.

If you have had it as long as the other lenses it is not earning its keep.
If you only use it for shots like the examples, it has no reasonable justification.

Much the same can be said for your Fuji lenses, most of which are just taking up space.
Professional does not mean collecting lenses you hardly ever use.

However your usage data appears to be historical, and does not necessarily reflect your uses now.

Most photographers would not take their TSE lenses to a wedding as it has very little use at one. If any at all.

1% different and better is fine.
1% different but plain odd is not.

If you only use it for shots like the examples, it has no reasonable justification.

Much the same can be said for your Fuji lenses, most of which are just taking up space.

However your usage data appears to be historical, and does not necessarily reflect your uses now.

Most photographers would not take their TSE lenses to a wedding as it has very little use at one. If any at all.

I don't do it for "earn it's keep"

If I can get 1 good shot in my life out of it, then for me, it is worth it's keep. You and I clearly have different standard in terms of what is worth it. I am the kind of person happy to lie in a bed of mud in my suit to get a photo if that's what I need to do.

My usage data is current, going back the life of this iMac, back to 2012. I have had the 45mm for 4 years.

I don't know what you are trying to get at though, in the first post you said "it's not professional to use this lens in a wedding."

When I prove to you it is a tiny percentage, you are now arguing "it's not worth having it because you don't use it enough." Am I dreaming or are you moving the goal post?

As for Most photographers, most photographs leave after the 1st Dance.

I don't want to be like most photographers. I stayed until 4:30am once, I started at 6:30am the day before. Why do I want to be "most photographers."

Like i said, I go the extra mile and I want my cameras to do the same.

Last edited:
I don't do it for "earn it's keep"

If I can get 1 good shot in my life out of it, then for me, it is worth it's keep. You and I clearly have different standard in terms of what is worth it. I am the kind of person happy to lie in a bed of mud in my suit to get a photo if that's what I need to do.

My usage data is current, going back the life of this iMac, back to 2012. I have had the 45mm for 4 years.

Most photographers leave after the 1st Dance.

I am not "most photographers", I don't want to be like most photographers. I stayed until 4:30am once, I started at 6:30am the day before.

Like i said, I go the extra mile and I want my cameras to do the same.

Sweet Jesus! We get it.

Reminds me of a certain Monty Python sketch.

As for my Fuji set up, I bought them for my travel purpose, nothing more. And I reiterate again, just so you understand me....I often do things all the way when i do it...hence 2 bodies, all those lenses.

As for space, they are tiny, its hardly what I call space....that's the point isn't it? Fuji are small and light???

eUJragE.jpg

Is the horizon meant to be wonky?

Dazed and Confused seems a more apt song title now

eUJragE.jpg

I can see nothing in that shot that determines that it should be taken at f2.8. Or with a twisted swing.
It would have been better to use the shift as a drop front to keept the virticals vertical. You could then have used a little tilt forward to increase the depth of focus in the forward horizontal plane. Then stopped down the lens till the new plane of focus was incresed at 90degrees in the vertical direction. Virtually everything would then be correctly drawn, with the horizon straight the verticals vertical and every thing in focus. It would be a better overall compromise. With no odd patches of out of focus.

It would be the equivalent of a large format drop front, tilt front and vertical back. And smaller aperture. Which is the correct solution.

I can see nothing in that shot that determines that it should be taken at f2.8. Or with a twisted swing.
It would have been better to use the shift as a drop front to keept the virticals vertical. You could then have used a little tilt forward to increase the depth of focus in the forward horizontal plane. Then stopped down the lens till the new plane of focus was incresed at 90degrees in the vertical direction. Virtually everything would then be correctly drawn, with the horizon straight the verticals vertical and every thing in focus. It would be a better overall compromise. With no odd patches of out of focus.

It would be the equivalent of a large format drop front, tilt front and vertical back. And smaller aperture. Which is the correct solution.

That shot is as a result of me buying the lens, went on holiday and decide I would use nothing else but a single 45mm TSE for 2 weeks. This is because

1 - I get to learn the lens fully
2 - This so I can see what it can do, what it can't do. What I should do, what i shouldn't do.
3 - To know that should the worse happens, if I had to shoot a whole wedding with this lens, I could, I don't need to use the tilt effect and I can do an entire wedding at 2.8, and do it manual focus.

This was a single image from that set, if you want to critique it, go right ahead. It's fine, I can of course try what you suggest should the next situation arise. :)

Although I kinda wanted the odd patches out of focus, I wanted the focal plane to go along the land rail to the little thing at the distance. It was just an experiment at the time. I also wanted it to do everything at 2.8 because then it would be the thinnest aperture, meaning anything else would be easier. I purposely make it harder for myself.

Last edited:
I think Fuji need to incorporate a wedding photographer setting, it could go in with the toy camera, pop colour and miniature options.

N
That shot is as a result of me buying the lens, went on holiday and decide I would use nothing else but a single 45mm TSE for 2 weeks. This is because

1 - I get to learn the lens fully
2 - This so I can see what it can do, what it can't do. What I should do, what i shouldn't do.
3 - To know that should the worse happens, if I had to shoot a whole wedding with this lens, I could, I don't need to use the tilt effect and I can do an entire wedding at 2.8, and do it manual focus.

This was a single image from that set, if you want to critique it, go right ahead. It's fine, I can of course try what you suggest should the next situation arise. :)

Although I kinda wanted the odd patches out of focus, I wanted the focal plane to go along the land rail to the little thing at the distance. It was just an experiment at the time. I also wanted it to do everything at 2.8 because then it would be the thinnest aperture, meaning anything else would be easier. I purposely make it harder for myself.

Sorry... I did not know that you did not understand camera movements. It is certainly much easer to make movements with the lens wide open. But it is normal to increase the depth of field at rightangles to the new plane of focus, by stopping down before shooting. Or you get strange out of focus areas.

N

Sorry... I did not know that you did not understand camera movements. It is certainly much easer to make movements with the lens wide open. But it is normal to increase the depth of field at rightangles to the new plane of focus, by stopping down before shooting. Or you get strange out of focus areas.

You keep saying normal, and most photographers. You ought to know by now I try on purpose to stay from normal...:)

Have you consider ditching your Canon for medium format? Quality would be high :)

I know you are being sarcastic but on a serious note, as a system, the DR is not there, medium format sensors tend to collapse at high ISO. The $ vs value is totally disproportional. We are talking about £30,000 for a body.

Then there is the focus speed, there is flashes.

And there is the weather sealing.

I could go on, the system as a whole, medium format is not designed for wedding photography. If you could be so kind to give me £100,000, I would be happy to give it a shot? :)

Last edited:
MF are for the studio. Now has the OP run like f*** from this thread? Wouldn't blame him.

Time to maybe shake hands and leave the playground eh girls?

MF are for the studio. Now has the OP run like f*** from this thread? Wouldn't blame him.

Time to maybe shake hands and leave the playground eh girls?

Grinder, tinder, girls? Would you like to tell us a story? :D

On MF - you can now get a snazzy Fuji MF camera plus a couple of lenses for about $10K

If OP is watching, the tips you actually wanted are way back, you may have to dig through some nonsense - I'll reiterate my suggestion - do the research, look up the reviews, if you can, get hold of a Fuji body and lens and give it a real world try out. Otherwise trust your gut, I think an XT-1 with the grip, and a few Fuji lenses will please you. You're not going to miss anything but a little extra heft from your Canon gear. There is nothing bad about trying something new you already know is good.

Last edited:
Grinder, tinder, girls? Would you like to tell us a story? :D

On MF - you can now get a snazzy Fuji MF camera plus a couple of lenses for about $10K

If OP is watching, the tips you actually wanted are way back, you may have to dig through some nonsense - I'll reiterate my suggestion - do the research, look up the reviews, if you can, get hold of a Fuji body and lens and give it a real world try out. Otherwise trust your gut, I think an XT-1 with the grip, and a few Fuji lenses will please you. You're not going to miss anything but a little extra heft from your Canon gear. There is nothing bad about trying something new you already know is good.

How would you know that?

How would you know that?

Because it's a crop sensor, same as the fuji, [actually the Fuji sensor is larger surprised you don't recommend it for that reason alone] and Fuji have lenses to match, if not better. What's not to know? I use an XT-1 for starters, I've used Sony, Canon and Nikon dslrs and tested a range of all their lenses. The Fuji is better built than the Canon he owns, and with what he'd get for his current lot, he could have a very nice and tidy set of excellent Fuji lenses on top. I owned a D800E for 4 years and I can directly compare images, the XT-1 is not lacking even towards that beast. The D800E stomps all over any Canon Crop sensor and yet somehow does not put the older Fuji XtransII to shame in any way bar file size ... anything else you doubt?

Last edited:
Because it's a crop sensor, same as the fuji, [actually the Fuji sensor is larger surprised you don't recommend it for that reason alone] and Fuji have lenses to match, if not better. What's not to know? I use an XT-1 for starters, I've used Sony, Canon and Nikon dslrs and tested a range of all their lenses. The Fuji is better built than the Canon he owns, and with what he'd get for his current lot, he could have a very nice and tidy set of excellent Fuji lenses on top. I owned a D800E for 4 years and I can directly compare images, the XT-1 is not lacking even towards that beast. The D800E stomps all over any Canon Crop sensor and yet somehow does not put the older Fuji XtransII to shame in any way bar file size ... anything else you doubt?

How about ergonomics?

How about EVF, how do you know he will like the EVF?

How about the UI? How are you certain he will get along with the UI?

How about battery life?

I have the same X-T1 as you, the lack of thumb dial on this annoys the crap out of me. I need to get the X-T2 for that. I dislike the dipolar dial thing has no markings. To get neutral I need to turn it one way, count all the way to the other extreme and then count clicks midway....and then a few weeks later I have no idea if i have accidentally knocked it off centre afterwards!

Then there is the strap hooks, what does it need to have that triangle thing dangling off, it makes noise, metal to metal. Why can't they have the thick hoop like the Canon and I can just put in a strap straight in there without that triangle.

Why is the tripod mount so close to the battery door. I have to take the tripod plate to change battery.

Why can't I move the focus point with the dials? I have to use the directional button which are too recessed, weirdly the buttons on directional buttons on the X-Pro1 is better. I want to be able to press a button to bring up the focus point and then I can change it with the dials, front dial to go up and down and rear to go left and right.

There is much more to a camera than just the sensor. There is so much more to a camera than just weight. Are these not valid concerns?

The camera look so god damn cool, it is fun to shoot but god I hate some of the design quirks.

p.s. Fuji do not have Lenes to match...., not in terms of the system. they make good lenses, they make some great lenses, but they do not have like for like lenses compared to Canon. So it's not a match. Show me a 14mm fish eye or a MPE. If you meant is the 35mm 2.0 a very good lens, and match the Canon similar priced 35mm, sure, I'd give you that. If the OP is happy to accept what is on offer from Fuji in terms of lenses can suffice then that's fine.

I mean I love the images from the 35/1.4 R, its a lovely lens, I adore the square hood, love the look, it's a magical lens, in fact, I would go as to say its my favourite lens I have on the Fuji, but the focus motor on that sucks, it is worse than my 85L and that is a big hunk of glass.

Fuji, good system, but it is far far from perfect.

Last edited:
How about ergonomics?

How about battery life?

I have the same X-T1 as you, the lack of thumb dial on this annoys the crap out of me. I need to get the X-T2 for that. I dislike the dipolar dial thing has no markings. To get neutral I need to turn it one way, count all the way to the other extreme and then count clicks midway....and then a few weeks later I have no idea if i have accidentally knocked it off centre afterwards!

Then there is the strap hooks, what does it need to have that triangle thing dangling off, it makes noise, metal to metal. Why can't they have the thick hoop like the Canon and I can just put in a strap straight in there without that triangle.

Why is the tripod mount so close to the battery door. I have to take the tripod plate to change battery.

Why can't I move the focus point with the dials? I have to use the directional button which are too recessed, weirdly the buttons on directional buttons on the X-Pro1 is better. I want to be able to press a button to bring up the focus point and then I can change it with the dials, front dial to go up and down and rear to go left and right.

There is much more to a camera than just the sensor. There is so much more to a camera than just weight. Are these not valid concerns?

The camera look so god damn cool, it is fun to shoot but god I hate some of the design quirks.

p.s. Fuji do not have Lenes to match...., not in terms of the system. they make good lenses, they make some great lenses, but they do not have like for like lenses compared to Canon. So it's not a match. Show me a 14mm fish eye or a MPE. If you meant is the 35mm 2.0 a very good lens, and match the Canon similar priced 35mm, sure, I'd give you that. If the OP is happy to accept what is on offer from Fuji in terms of lenses can suffice then that's fine.

I mean I love the images from the 35/1.4 R, its a lovely lens, I adore the square hood, love the look, it's a magical lens, in fact, I would go as to say its my favourite lens I have on the Fuji, but the focus motor on that sucks, it is worse than my 85L and that is a big hunk of glass.

How about this thread is for suggestions, not meaningless drivel on X Vs Z camera or gear in general?

You seem the type without the ability to get over yourself. This isn't your thread, you haven't been helpful, in fact I don't know what your point here is, in any of your posts. Can you at least do a TL;DR of your lengthy ones? There might be a point in them some of us are missing

Nobody really cares about fisheyes or tilt shift, occasional specialist lenses, not even you! and if you really wanted them, the fuji system is one of the better for adapting old classic manual lenses - for those not overly reliant on modern AF. The gearhead in you forces you to persist in trying to make oddball stuff relevant, but your own data proves you don't actually believe them important.

OP asked was it worth the shift to another system as his current one isn't doing it for him. While some of us are offering him actual suggestions, your posts have been about nothing but trying to convince yourself that you're worthy of all the gear you splurged on. That's what I see.

Ironically, when YOU wanted simple advice on fuji cameras, in particular the xpro1, we were there to offer you straight forward, no BS advice. We didn't feel the need to turn it into our life stories.

Last edited:
How about ergonomics?

How about battery life?

If Fuji matched a canon in every aspect it would be canon.
Fuji are expanding their range of lenses to suit the demand from fuji users, not simply to be to be canon clones.
The same goes for the ergonomics. They will of course be "different" and have a learning curve if someone has already got the muscle memory of another system ingrained in them. In many respects fuji ergonomics suits many people rather better.
There are very good TSE and fisheyes that can be used on fuji cameras some with adapters and some directly. There is little commercial sense to make their own.

How about this thread is for suggestions, not meaningless drivel on X Vs Z camera or gear in general?

You seem the type without the ability to get over yourself. This isn't your thread, you haven't been helpful, in fact I don't know what your point here is, in any of your posts. Can you at least do a TL;DR of your lengthy ones? There might be a point in them some of us are missing

Nobody really cares about fisheyes or tilt shift, occasional specialist lenses, not even you! and if you really wanted them, the fuji system is one of the better for adapting old classic manual lenses - for those not overly reliant on modern AF. The gearhead in you forces you to persist in trying to make oddball stuff relevant, but your own data proves you don't actually believe them important.

OP asked was it worth the shift to another system as his current one isn't doing it for him. While some of us are offering him actual suggestions, your posts have been about nothing but trying to convince yourself that you're worthy of all the gear you splurged on. That's what I see.

Ironically, when YOU wanted simple advice on fuji cameras, in particular the xpro1, we were there to offer you straight forward, no BS advice. We didn't feel the need to turn it into our life stories.

You made a sweeping statement that he will missing nothing from the camera he has.

I made a post about things that is valid.

It is a FACT that the tripod screw is too close to the battery door, is yours different?

It is a FACT that there is no thumb stick on the X-T1, is yours different?

It is a FACT that the battery life is shorter, is yours different?

This isn't about me, it is about the difference between the cameras!

How are you so certain the Fuji ergonomics is going to fit the OP? Do you know him?

If Fuji matched a canon in every aspect it would be canon.
Fuji are expanding their range of lenses to suit the demand from fuji users, not simply to be to be canon clones.
The same goes for the ergonomics. They will of course be "different" and have a learning curve if someone has already got the muscle memory of another system ingrained in them. In many respects fuji ergonomics suits many people rather better.
There are very good TSE and fisheyes that can be used on fuji cameras some with adapters and some directly. There is little commercial sense to make their own.

And I merely pointed them out as Cagey over there is 100% confident he will love it from day one.

I merely asking questions - How is the UI to the OP? Not suggesting "you are going to LOVE it, you won't miss the Canon at all apart from the hefty weight."

As for learning curve, I hear what you are saying but no markings on the diopter is no markings on the diopter, I can't learn to have x-ray visions. Like I can't learn to not having to take the tripod plate off between opening the battery door. It's going to take me time now to unscrew it first, it is going to take me time to unscrew it in the future.

Is it wrong to point these things out? Am I the only person in the world who's camera have the tripod screw where it is? Am I the only person who thinks Optical VF is nicer? Am I alone that to find the Fuji battery are on the small side?

Are these not legitimate questions?

People seems to so freely throw it out there that the grass is always greener on the other side, and they seem to throw it out there that because it worked for them, it must work for everyone else. God forbid when someone posts that the switch isn't for them and point out some elements that I find short in the system and when questioned why, i answered, they say it's about me. Of course it's about the user, you both answer how it is for you too, how you found it. I answered it about me. It is about the user's point of view. You put out your point of view, I put out mine. Somehow I get attacked personally for putting out my opinion and when I say good things about the system and gear that point gets TOTALLY ignored and uncredited. When I point out something that they don't agree with, they answers on those only.

Then there is always the answer of "Fuji are always expanding their lenses" there is always adaptors. He stated that Fuji's lenses matches, I pointed out that in terms of quality, in some lenses they do match, but as a lens line up they certainly do not. They might match 5 years from now but they certainly do not match today. The mere fact that adaptors are mentioned proves that the Fuji line up do not have all the lenses to match. and by definition, to match means equal.

One can easily say "anyone is always expanding their lenses", It is a 2 way street, Canon is always expanding their bodies and lenses too, so is Sony. Sony can take adaptors as well.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, if OP can, try it, borrow it for a day, before selling up. You might regret it.

Last edited:
Back