weekly Blank_Canvas (Nick) TP52 2015 - Week 2 - Fragile added

Edit My Images
No
Blank_Canvas (Nick's) TP52 2015 Thread

I'm back in the 52 after a two year sabbatical having completing it in 2012 ! - Fingers crossed I will see it through to the end again but who knows how the year will pan out. I will try and comment on as many weekly images as I can in the time possible which is quite a commitment.

In the past it has been lots of fun, quite challenging but very rewarding. Anyway here goes....

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/a/sarahleep...BHH7qga8yvG8drBVSKeXWU-_0vY1_l_Fso/edit#gid=0

Practice: Blank_Canvas (Nick) TP52 2015 - Week 0 - Patterns added

Week 1 : bliss
Week 2 : Fragile
Week 3 :
Week 4 :
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Week O - Patterns "Whats the score ?"

A few rolled up musical scores of different shades of paper make for and interesting pattern. No real photographic technical ability employed this week, just taken with an iPhone.

Last edited:
Hello and :welcome: from an 'old-timer' (Camera phones were rubbish when I last did one of these :(). Interesting patterns emerging from this and the only slight niggle for me is the sticking up corner of paper in the upper right quadrant which keeps drawing my eyes from the picture as a whole.

I love the muted colours. just to reiterate what Bruja has already said, the only change needs to be the the sticking out corner in the middle right hand side. it really is quite distracting and spoils a beautiful image.

Great shot for a camera phone! I might have liked to see it at a bit of an angle rather than flat-on but no matter it's still a good shot and perfectly on theme. Well done and very much look forward to seeing more of yours in the weeks to come :)

Thats a really clever idea Nick I think you have been promoted to my Favorite picture of the week with that one.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Hi Nick.....good to see you back for some more torture this year :clap:

When I saw the top half of your image I got really excited ( sad I know) but then it sort of turned into a damp squib for me....sorry if that's a bit harsh. It's my OCD playing up...if all the scrolls were neat , meeting perfectly in the centre & it was black n white .....that would be something quite special:)...don't want much do I :exit:

Wow! That's a really impressive start Nick.

Creative, abstract and cleverly titled.
I'm not quite as OCD as Lynne :LOL: and it doesn't bother me at all that they're a bit crumpled. I just really, really like it :)

p.s. Hope you don't mind, but per the conversation yesterday I know you were struggling with the image and link in your signature.
I've put something there for you, but if it's not what you want edit it, move it, bin it altogether :LOL:
You can have a look at the code there though to see what I've done and that might help you out.

Welcome to 2015 52s Nick. A great start with a very pretty image. (y) With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Hi Nick - that's a fantastic idea and I agree with other posters - the square crop works really well

Week 1- Bliss (Reach a state of perfect happiness, oblivious of everything else)

"You're late where have you been" said Aunt Mimi. " Just out" replied the young John Lennon. John's aunt Mimi did not like him going to Strawberry Field, as it was an orphanage and she thought the lads would lead Lennon astray. When John and his aunt would argue about his going he would often reply, "What are they going to do, hang me?"

Lennon Later remarked during an interview that playing in Strawberry Fields (Strawberry Field as it is correctly known) was one of his favourite childhood memories and that he'd never been happier in his life than playing there which he did on a frequent basis. Throughout his life whenever he thought of Liverpool and home he thought of Strawberry Field and later wrote the the famous Beatles song with Paul McCartney about it in 1967.

"Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields , nothing is real And nothing to get hung about......."

Last edited:
This made me smile when I saw it, great idea done really well, I like it a lot :)

I think the shot and the story work very well together to make a nice interpretation of bliss Very well thought of. I like the angle but I wounded if a higher f stop would have been better so all of strawberry field was in focus, not too high so the gate remains blurred.

really like this - love the bokeh too at the right hand side :)

A lot to like about this. Use of dof, the red and neutral colours and the story behind it. Nice work.

I like the colours and the idea of the shot but I do feel I slightly deeper DoF would have worked a little better. Nice start.

Just doing a bit of catching up...
Really like the patterns image. Great idea. Wherever I look in the photo, my eye is drawn to the centre. An engaging shot.
I like the history behind the Bliss shot. The theme fits the song for sure. As has been said, I think the shot would benefit more DoF.

Hi Nick... well, for me this is a very artful image. With the explanation, it jumps from being an interesting capture to a great photo. Technically, I think your choice of DOF, composition and processing work well to support that evocative story. The graffiti on the wall, almost obscuring the name adds to the sense of dischord and delinquency - which sits oddly against the idea of this being bliss. But then that's kids: they're annoyingly drawn to things which make parents (or aunts in this case) worry for them.

Would more DOF make it a better capture of the "Strawberry Field" sign? Yes, I guess it would. Would it make it a better photograph? For me, no. As I've said somewhere else, for me bliss is somewhat hazy and it's important to the image (as far as I'm concerned) that the entrance gate to "bliss" is sufficiently out of focus but still recognisable as a gate. So that probably demands the name to drift OOF at the right edge.

I think it's a cracking picture and tells a fantastic story - love it :clap:

Pattern - Nice idea and one that has a lot of potential.

Bliss - Good graffiti shot and one with a story behind it which is good. Good use of DoF on this one

Hello and welcome to the challenge, great start with that image.

Why thank you !

Very nice start Nick (y)

Thank you - Hopefully I'll be able to finish, its been a busy year already !
Hello and :welcome: from an 'old-timer' (Camera phones were rubbish when I last did one of these :(). Interesting patterns emerging from this and the only slight niggle for me is the sticking up corner of paper in the upper right quadrant which keeps drawing my eyes from the picture as a whole.

Fair point, time was not on my side. i'm going to be using a variety of cameras this year including the iPhone. The latest model camera wise is quite good.

Welcome back, Nick, ineresting practice submission there.

Cheers.

Many thanks Andy, It's good to be back !

I like that Nick, the square crop works a treat. Super start.

Kind of you to say so Michael, thank you

I love the muted colours. just to reiterate what Bruja has already said, the only change needs to be the the sticking out corner in the middle right hand side. it really is quite distracting and spoils a beautiful image.

Yep, the more I look at it the more I agree !

Great shot for a camera phone! I might have liked to see it at a bit of an angle rather than flat-on but no matter it's still a good shot and perfectly on theme. Well done and very much look forward to seeing more of yours in the weeks to come :)

Fair comment thank you, I did shoot another image at a different angle but lacked impact.

I like it, it would benefit from being central though especially with a square crop :)

Many thanks for dropping by, I hope to get around to everyone very shortly

Thats a really clever idea Nick I think you have been promoted to my Favorite picture of the week with that one.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thats a very kind comment, thank you.

Hi Nick .... I really like the idea ...very original....looking forward to seeing lots more :)

Hopefully I will be able to keep them coming and comment on peoples work in the next couple of weeks,

Hi Nick.....good to see you back for some more torture this year :clap:

When I saw the top half of your image I got really excited ( sad I know) but then it sort of turned into a damp squib for me....sorry if that's a bit harsh. It's my OCD playing up...if all the scrolls were neat , meeting perfectly in the centre & it was black n white .....that would be something quite special:)...don't want much do I :exit:

Great to be back thank you. Damp squib LOL, you're just tooo hard to please, but I must try harder with my photography, must try harder...... B/W No ! can;t agree with you there !

What a clever idea and title, and the square frame works well. You're off to a good start!

Thanks for dropping by, I hope to be along shortly to comment on yours and others work.

Wow! That's a really impressive start Nick.

Creative, abstract and cleverly titled.
I'm not quite as OCD as Lynne :LOL: and it doesn't bother me at all that they're a bit crumpled. I just really, really like it :)

p.s. Hope you don't mind, but per the conversation yesterday I know you were struggling with the image and link in your signature.
I've put something there for you, but if it's not what you want edit it, move it, bin it altogether :LOL:
You can have a look at the code there though to see what I've done and that might help you out.

Thanks for all your support but i'm still struggling with this linking thingy. It's a lot more complex now than in was in 2012 !

What a clever idea and title, and the square frame works well. You're off to a good start!

Very kind, been a bust start to the year so far !

Thank you !

So glad you are back, I do like your work. This one is so interesting! Clever, different and spot on :)

Good to see you back again too, where does the time go ! Thank you

Welcome to 2015 52s Nick. A great start with a very pretty image. (y) With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Hi Nick - that's a fantastic idea and I agree with other posters - the square crop works really well

It's good to get the feedback, i think it lends it lends itself towards this format.

This made me smile when I saw it, great idea done really well, I like it a lot :)

It's great to put a smile on someones face that makes it all very worthwhile.

Bliss - really good take on the theme, no crit to offer on this.

Thank you !

Really like all the shots.

Many thanks for dropping by, Just saying i'm hoping to get around to everybody else very shortly.

I think the shot and the story work very well together to make a nice interpretation of bliss Very well thought of. I like the angle but I wounded if a higher f stop would have been better so all of strawberry field was in focus, not too high so the gate remains blurred.

Good point RM, I have shot this before but acutely wanted to gage the 'blissful dreamy effect' reminiscent of the sixties LSD era, I'm not sure if I managed to do that !

really like this - love the bokeh too at the right hand side :)

Thank you

A lot to like about this. Use of dof, the red and neutral colours and the story behind it. Nice work.

Thank you. On it's own, and without contact I thought some people may not get 'Bliss'

I like the colours and the idea of the shot but I do feel I slightly deeper DoF would have worked a little better. Nice start.

Yep, fair comment (see above) thanks for your feedback. Point well made.

Just doing a bit of catching up...
Really like the patterns image. Great idea. Wherever I look in the photo, my eye is drawn to the centre. An engaging shot.
I like the history behind the Bliss shot. The theme fits the song for sure. As has been said, I think the shot would benefit more DoF.

Many thanks for dropping by, general consensus is that the DoF is to shallow but that was intentional.

Like that, a lot. Nice, close composition, cracking read and nice bokeh.

Many thanks Andy, glad you enjoyed the read, well worth a visit sometime if you get the chance. We need a TP meet in Liverpool...

Cheers.
Hi Nick... well, for me this is a very artful image. With the explanation, it jumps from being an interesting capture to a great photo. Technically, I think your choice of DOF, composition and processing work well to support that evocative story. The graffiti on the wall, almost obscuring the name adds to the sense of dischord and delinquency - which sits oddly against the idea of this being bliss. But then that's kids: they're annoyingly drawn to things which make parents (or aunts in this case) worry for them.
Would more DOF make it a better capture of the "Strawberry Field" sign? Yes, I guess it would. Would it make it a better photograph? For me, no. As I've said somewhere else, for me bliss is somewhat hazy and it's important to the image (as far as I'm concerned) that the entrance gate to "bliss" is sufficiently out of focus but still recognisable as a gate. So that probably demands the name to drift OOF at the right edge.
!

I think it's a cracking picture and tells a fantastic story - love it :clap:

Thank you, maybe my interruption has worked best than I had thought. It's not just the kids who graffiti the pillars, adults come from all over the world to visit that sight and scribble, it's the same at Abbey Road Studios in London

Pattern - Nice idea and one that has a lot of potential.

Bliss - Good graffiti shot and one with a story behind it which is good. Good use of DoF on this one

Thank you for dropping by and your comments, its been a hectic start to the year. I hope to be along very shortly to catch up with your work and others.

Week 2- Fragile

I'd thought I'd try a high key image this week on a bit of Swarovski crystal. The whiskers are very delicate...

Last edited:
Hi again Nick

lovely little critters & you've done a great job with the high key effect ,plenty of detail , hint of shadow to ground them & great focus (y)
Only little niggle for me is the placement or crop ( whichever way you wanna look at it) , slightly too central maybe .....

Hi Nick... nice take although for me (being supercritical) the lighting leaves them looking a little flat for me. I'd be tempted to use similar lighting as for jewellery: loads of little leds which create hundreds of sparkles on all the different surfaces. White Christmas lights could work for that perhaps?

It might well be my monitor, but it looks like the WB balance is off on the actual centre of the image (slight yellowy cast) whereas the rest of the frame outside that central circle is proper white?

Hi, have to agree with the above comments about it being to central and the WB in the middle of the image

Good idea making it high key, just a couple of minor niggles to sort out

Back