Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

looking at getting another sony,its between the A390 and the A550.
not sure which one to go for,could someone please give me there views on them please,pros and cons.thanks chris.

well the wife just went MENTAL when she sore the price so i`m stuck.
anyone got an A390 and whats it like?

jessops do 2
one with a 18-70 dt lens and one with a 18-55 sam lens,which would be better?

Last edited:
thanks all,got my way for once :LOL:,i got the A550 and LOVE it:love:

random question, but are any of you looking into buying one of the new Sony cameras?

I'm not sure whether to get the a580 or a55..
Okay so A55 is smaller, has the EVF and obviously the autofocus for video (but the new translucent system loses half a stop of light..)
But do you think the A580's image quality would be better since it doesn't lose any light through the mirror..?
Last week I swayed towards the a55 as it's a handy small size, the af in video.. But then I realised I might look a bit unprofessional at events with this tiny camera and also I'm more interested in taking pictures than video anyway.

Just not sure which one I should go for.
I mostly take pictures of people and animals and shoot at concerts/gigs (unofficially).

I am hankering over the A55, as i won't be attending any events and couldn't care less if it looks daft with my 70-300 sony g hanging off the end :)

its the video thats swayed me.

oh if anyone wants a sigma 105m macro check the 4 sale section ;)

it has to go to make way for a 17-70 zoom for every day use :D

Last edited:
I want to get an M42 adaptor, so that I can take advantage of some really good lenses (old Rokkors would be nice), does anyone have any experience of this?
I know that the auto functions will be disabled.

Andy

With going full frame my 16-80 needs replacing, for wide-end coverage, as the widest FF lens I own is a 35mm prime.

I'm dithering about getting a ZA 24-70 at the moment. Mainly because I have 35,50 and 85mm primes so am wondering if a s/h Minolta 24/2.8 would be a cheaper option to give me the focal length coverage with hopefully minimal IQ implications. Albeit with the trade-off of needing to swap lenses more often.

Thoughts, other options?

Tamron 28-75 (or equivalents) is excellent.

I like the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II quite a lot. The Minolta 24mm is nice, but wasn't a lens I really used a lot.

Tamron 28-75 (or equivalents) is excellent.

I like the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II quite a lot. The Minolta 24mm is nice, but wasn't a lens I really used a lot.

Cheers Andy - I used to own a copy of the Sigma and can't remember why I sold it now. I wasn't unhappy with it, I think it was a case of trying out quite a few lenses when I got back into photography after buying the a300.

What about a Sony or Minolta 20mm f/2.8?

TBH I think with an A900, a CZ 24-70 is worth considering.

I guess the new Ziess 24mm f/2.0 is out as well now..?

TBH I think with an A900, a CZ 24-70 is worth considering.

I am, quite seriously - will probably wait until Focus next year to see if there are any bargains to be had, I'm sure one of Jacobs or CW had it for under £1k in March.

Quoting myself.. Stuart from DigitalDepot just PM'd me to say he has this in now :D

I've been thinking of treating myself to something and was tempted by the 24.. but I already have the CZ 24-70 and the first review I read was a bit lukewarm.
Will await your review with interest. :)

Just to update you from my last post.. I just bought a Sony A580!! it arrived in the post today, first impressions; totally awesome. Gonna do some shooting with it tomorrow to really test it! :)

I've been thinking of treating myself to something and was tempted by the 24.. but I already have the CZ 24-70 and the first review I read was a bit lukewarm.
Will await your review with interest. :)

Tempted to try it... DPReview gave it a stellar review for what its worth.

UK price is £950 which I think it a little steep..

Hey guys just want to pick your brains a little... trying to have a go at using manual mode but I cant seem to be able to set the shutter and appature when I move to M...

Using A700... Im sure I am just missing a step but for the life of me I just cant remember how...

Have you set both wheels to one action in the menu? You should be able to use one for aperture and one for shutter, that's how it works on my 700.

Has anyone else got this problem? In LR3 I've just noticed that it says my lens is a 28-105 3.5-5.6 when in fact it's a Tamron 28-75 2.8, is there a work around for this?

Has anyone else got this problem? In LR3 I've just noticed that it says my lens is a 28-105 3.5-5.6 when in fact it's a Tamron 28-75 2.8, is there a work around for this?

This is because Tamron / Sigma basically steals chip-ID's from Minolta lenses, so LR is fooled.

Have a look at AlphaLensInfo:

http://www.equational.org/importphotos/alphalensinfo.html

This will tag the lenses correctly - my Tamron 24-135 is reported as something like a 35-105 for the same reason.

rokkors are MD mount I think. and proper MD adapters have glass in between and cost around 30 quid

Thanks, they are indeed. I am desperate to get some good, old lenses, and I picked up a really lovely MD Rokkor 28mm 3.5 the other day.
I am now going to try to get an MD/Sony Minolta adaptor, and also an M42 (some good old Takumars around). Most places do not have the MD mount in stock at the moment.

Thinking of upgrading my a350, but to what? I want to stay Sony as I have too much Sony dedicated kit.

Any suggestions and why?

Cheers

Chris

Thinking of upgrading my a350, but to what? I want to stay Sony as I have too much Sony dedicated kit.

Any suggestions and why?

Cheers

Chris

i would say either a new A500/550 or a second hand,low shutter count A700 if you can find one.although i've no experience of the 500/550,they seem to be a popular upgrade from the likes of the A2XX/A3XX.i upgraded from the A350 to an A700,and there's a big difference in performance...really pleased i did it.

Any suggestions and why?

Cheers

Chris

I'd second Stans suggestion for the 500/550, I have the 500 and think it's a great camera, I upgraded from the 330.

is this thread for pictures or just sony equipment talk?

I'd say it's equipment, to be honest unless you are posting a pic the is specifically relating to sony performance. How ever I'm not in charge so whatever you want to do is fine by me.

Back