weekly Calling all TP52 2014...what's your best submission?? OI 52ers...get posting!! :)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, there has been plenty of crit and self crit, so here's your chance to celebrate your favourite submission. Why do you like it? What could/would you change?

I'll have a think and post my later (y)

Cheers all, and those that are still here - you're gonna make it.
See ya in a few weeks for TP52 2015 :exit:

Great idea Andy, I've had a look through mine and I can't pick a favourite. I will though - before the year is out. (y)

Well, although we haven't finished the year, I think my favourite and possibly one of my technically better shots was my "Live" shot:

image.png

It's always pleasing when an image more or less matches the idea in your head... and this was one (of the few!)

I'm pleased with the composition and it being different from the "usual" because of the DOF & focus choice. This was uncropped (I think) and the only thing I'd change is trim a few pixels from the left where the lamppost is just sticking its oar in (or possible clone it out). Otherwise, I'm happy with it - including the slightly darker exposure, given the subject matter.

Yay, well done for being first Paul. :clap:

I do love this.... It's the rain streaked writing that really does it for me here. And I wouldn't worry about the lamppost, I never even noticed it till now.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of images I've submitted over the year I'm particularly pleased with, mi F16 at Fairford took with the D70, mi mates lad at Anglesey racing, but, to be fair, both these submissions weren't actually took for the theme but were 'levered' in shall we say :angelic:

So the one I'm going to choose is week 6, Mineral. It really did come to me 'a flash of inspiration' :D and I was pleased with the outcome.

Actually, after having another look at this, I've realised it needed a very slight anti-clockwise rotation :banghead: :LOL:

TP52 Mineral Deposit
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
@Pinkbikerbabe - that is a cracker... and something I've never even attempted so hats off to you!

@Phil-D - that is an excellent shot. The silver box is a bit of a "classic" difficult b***er to light and you've handled it exceptionally well. I love the reflection of the coins off the top... and as an image it's just perfect.

@posiview - fantastic sentiment (which I completely agree with) and goes to show what's really important in an image. Great shot.

Last edited:
Had a couple to chose from but on Balance I think it's this one... :)

Wk 7 Sense of Balance by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Why do I like it.....the mono color tone & it was possibly the simplest shot I've used Woody in but one of the most frustrating as getting him to stand upright was a feat in itself !

What would I change......I'd leave a little more room behind him , I think i cropped a little tight but it may have been as it was shot...can't remember that far back in time :D

Phil....that is for sure a cracker , & a very emotive subject

Mandy...your panning skills are getting really good

Andy...that's a brilliant choice & one I really hope you get printed & framed !

Phil...that has to the best lit shiny object ever...no blown bits & no reflections in it (y)

Last edited:
Evinin all (y)

@pjm1 ya know, I never noticed the rain streaked writing, and the juxtaposition of this against In Remembrance is very poignant.

@Pinkbikerbabe I can almost feel the speed. I must get to a race of some kind.

@Phil-D wonderfully clean photograph. Can't quite see any rotation issue.

@posiview you are one lucky bugger :)

@blondie606 we ain't see Woody for a while. Mine are in the kitchen looking a bit left out :) I really like Woody's pose and the textures on the wood.

C'mon the rest of ya. Your photographs can't be that bad :mooning:

Cheers.

Well after much deliberation, mine is my entry for smooth. Plenty of others running it very close. But there can only be one.

I love the simplicity here, the shadows, the alignment of the intersections of the curve. The lighting and the fact that its all the same bit of card, but the light and the shadow bring it to life. :)

@overbez glad you posted this one. It's, IMO, one of your best submissions. I find myself moving from the lower left to the upper right and then onwards though the swirl.

Good show.

Cheers.

I think the below is my fav...Its the one I spent the most time on and feels the most seamless. Think it shows off best my progress in trying to get to grips with photoshop compositing (I'd never done a composite prior to the start of the 2014 52 challange). I've always felt a little like I'm cheating thoughout my challange by doing mostly composites, but I was honest from the start saying that this was the personal element of the challange for me - PS compositing. I think compositing helps me to inject some of my own personality into the pictures which adds an extra element of personal interest, helping to keep me motivated. I'll be talking the same approach for 2015....lol..ha ha (evil laugh)

Change by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Oh yeah Jason.. Easily your best PS composite / manipulation. Powerful and very memorable.

You've come a long way in this area, but your "conventional" shots have been great too, making any PS work easier and more effective. (y)

Some very good shots there @posiview @overbez @pjm1 @Pinkbikerbabe @JasonGlyn @blondie606 @Phil-D
Good choices and really interesting to hear the very varied reasoning behind those choices.

Now it wouldn't be the 52 without a breaking of the rules :whistle: so I am going with 2. My reasoning is that the first - Rockefeller View - is just there. It is a shot that any of us could take given that we were in the city. I like it because I took the time to wait for what I considered to be the right light and had a good look round the viewing deck to get the best vista and then took up my position for 15 minutes and beat of off the hordes with iPhones and iPhones on sticks trying to muscle in. My patient family members hung around for at least half hour more than they needed to just so that I could get this shot. It is a treasured memory of a lovely family holiday too - so it ticks lots of boxes. Also @pjm1 I have chopped the top off that aerial thingy that you memorably commented upon :D

Rockefeller View by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

My other choice is one where i set it all up myself - so a very different approach to taking an urban vista. This one took a lot of messing getting the lighting right but I think that it works and it is such an iconic piece of beautifully crafted equipment it deserved the time. The only bugbear that I have, which applies to much of my 'table top' shots, is that I do so much by trial and error that I doubt that i could replicate it - and if I could do that I would know that i had seriously improved. Ah well....... there's always:beer:

Final v2 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

I think the below is my fav...Its the one I spent the most time on and feels the most seamless. Think it shows off best my progress in trying to get to grips with photoshop compositing (I'd never done a composite prior to the start of the 2014 52 challange). I've always felt a little like I'm cheating thoughout my challange by doing mostly composites, but I was honest from the start saying that this was the personal element of the challange for me - PS compositing. I think compositing helps me to inject some of my own personality into the pictures which adds an extra element of personal interest, helping to keep me motivated. I'll be talking the same approach for 2015....lol..ha ha (evil laugh)

Change by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Missed that first time round Jason, that is some cracking pp work! Quite a powerful and an excellent image you have created.

Well I'm going to say the Audi. The first and possibly the last time I photograph a car with a result worth showing anyone. Was walking home one September evening, saw the pimped-up numberplateless car and stopped for a second look, thinking that would probably photograph well because of its nonshiny paint job. A predinner snifter at home, thinking about what I could post on the TP52 thread for "Big", I remembered the car in the street rushed out with my brand new Nikon with its live preview and took a couple of low slung shots at dusk. I shoehorned it into the challenge and I don't think anyone questioned it.

image.png

Well I'm going to say the Audi.
I shoehorned it into the challenge and I don't think anyone questioned it.

Definitely a worthy choice David. I think getting toooo hung up on the theme makes it much harder. A great shot is still a great shot, even if it needs a bit of narrative to make it fit. (y)

Definitely a worthy choice David. I think getting toooo hung up on the theme makes it much harder. A great shot is still a great shot, even if it needs a bit of narrative to make it fit. (y)
I Agree... and well put Graham, can't think of a time when anybody has been slated for being way off theme, adds to the fun in my opinion if there is a bit of imagination required :)

Hmm, that's a difficult call. In the end, I chose this one that I did for Texture. I know it's probably not my best shot technically, having been shot through a thick glass window, but I just like the way that the chimp's hands so closely resemble those of a human - albeit a very battered and worn human.

image.png

Two fantastic images there ladies,

loving the honey dripping off the flower, you do like making it hard for yourself Susie by shooting still life things that are moving.. But with a great result here, (and with the honey on the wooden honery stick too).

Loved the monkeys hand when you first posted it up and I'm really pleased to see it again in here. A refreshingly different animal shot. :)

@d00d - great choice. The even tones work really well.
@susiejb - I can't recal if I wa keen on the light from the upper left, but it's gorwn on me. Nice choice.
@XenosElaine - good choice, the detail is wonderful and how delicately the gorilla holds the twig.

Cheers.

My choice would be my reshoot submission for Week 43. Sarah and I spent October half term week in the caravan at Threlkeld near Keswick. Everyday was very windy and very wet except one day which saw me taking the sunrise and sunset at Castlerigg and then in between we took a trip down Derwent Water and towards Buttermere and Crummock Water. Three out of my top 5 landscape images were taken that day this being one of them. I ignored the autumnal colours and opted for a gritty mono conversion which I feel provides the full range of tones that I was after. Would would I have done differently? Not sure. I want to go back and explore different view points then I'll tell you.

Crummock Water by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Back