Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear.

I was referring to the 3 settings under each case 1-6 in settings Tab AF1.
It has Tracking sensitivity, Accel. / Decel. Tracking and AF point switching under each case.

I just wondered if anyone had found any major benefit of altering any?

You can't change all of them you're right :D

Probably seems a strange question to ask lol.
It's just that I remember the servo tracking speed in the 7D options - and they ended up making a world of difference to many people!

According to the manual a few select variables are locked at default.
Most can be customised though by pressing the RATE button but not all.

Edit: Seems only Case 2 tracking sensitivity is the locked one (set to -1).

Last edited:
Yeah as per my previous post edit it's only Case 2 tracking that's locked.

Just be interesting to know if anyone who's owned the body for a reasonable length of time has any settings thdy find better than the rest that's all :thinking:

Yeah as per my previous post edit it's only Case 2 tracking that's locked.

Just be interesting to know if anyone who's owned the body for a reasonable length of time has any settings thdy find better than the rest that's all :thinking:

Just checked my 1 Dx, none of the settings are locked on any of the AF presets, can you alter all the others?
Can't see why one would be locked?

I plan on losing my 5d111 virginity this week.....it's being delivered on Wednesday.. Lucky me!!!

Just checked my 1 Dx, none of the settings are locked on any of the AF presets, can you alter all the others?
Can't see why one would be locked?

Just checked on the body itself and it allowed me to alter it too.
No idea why the manual says it's locked then? :thinking:

Can anyone tell me if there is a shortcut setup button to access the AF variables please? So much to learn with the 5D3!

James Thomas 75 said:
Sorry I should have been a bit more clear.

I was referring to the 3 settings under each case 1-6 in settings Tab AF1.
It has Tracking sensitivity, Accel. / Decel. Tracking and AF point switching under each case.

I just wondered if anyone had found any major benefit of altering any?

Good question sir.

where is everyone ordering their MK3's from? Lowest ive seen is around 2k from DigitalRev

Can anyone tell me if there is a shortcut setup button to access the AF variables please? So much to learn with the 5D3!

If you mean to access the AF menu then I dont think so but you could add it to the custom menu so its easier to get at.If you add it to top of this menu and set the camera to always default to this menu then its only a couple of button presses away.

If you mean to access the AF menu then I dont think so but you could add it to the custom menu so its easier to get at.If you add it to top of this menu and set the camera to always default to this menu then its only a couple of button presses away.

Thanks Dave - one to try tonight then I think :)

Yep, HDEW are grey market but brand new, plus you have a UK based seller that makes things a bit easier. No idea about ProCamera though, i have heard good things about them but no experience.
Ive just posted in your thread about the Tamron.

Mine came from HDEW. Contact with them and service was spot on and I have 3 years worth of warranty with them as well. One year Canon own and two more through them direct so no complaints there. 😊

Yep, HDEW are grey market but brand new, plus you have a UK based seller that makes things a bit easier. No idea about ProCamera though, i have heard good things about them but no experience.
Ive just posted in your thread about the Tamron.

Thanks Dave, HDEW are slightly more expensive compared to Pro but cheaper than DR. But DR are cheaper for the battery grip by 30 odd quid

Just had an email from Flash Camera of awaiting shipment. (Insert kid face) But I want it now!!!!!

I find myself randomly carrying mine around the house still - either because I've lost the plot or still can't believe I own one :) !

wireless/off camera flash triggers???? are they available for the Mk 3???
I've read the manual, and searched the forum but drew a blank and i'm desperate to know how i can trigger off camera flash with my lovely new toy!
what if any options are available? internet searches also drew a blank!

I've read the manual, and searched the forum but drew a blank and i'm desperate to know how i can trigger off camera flash with my lovely new toy!

I'm wondering this too. I used the wireless trigger on the 7d regularly.

Have a look at the Yongnuo YN-622YC triggers. I have a set of these and love them.
Dirt cheap (around £50-£60) for a pair and they work with E-TTL.

Last edited:
I have the yongnuo ones and they work great with my speedlite 580 ex II and some bowens gemini 500 units

Back