Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

For that reason as well as the ones George has explained, a high FPS is an advantage, naturally, having them all in focus is a big bonus, it means you have a wider choice of frames to choose the best from.

This was a series of 12 shots while I was tracking the bird. The wing movement is incredibly fast as you know, to the naked eye its a blur, in this series taken with a 7D, I took a burst of 12 shots, about 80% were sharply in focus even though the focus point was over the bird all of the time.
This is one of my concerns about the 6 fps of the 5d mk3, its only 2 less than the 7D but it could have an effect on this genre of photography.

Thanks everyone for you valid and important thoughts, its given more information to help make a decision.

Exactly.

Hi Mike, how are you doing?

Suspect you'll still have my mobile, if you want to see some of the shots, give me a call.

George.

Hi George,

doing great thanks, I do still have your number, not been in touch for ages as I haven't been doing photography so much the last 18 months or so ( grandkids/work/diy/golf lol )

Will give you a shout later next week once I'm off work - coffee ?

Mike.

Hi George,

doing great thanks, I do still have your number, not been in touch for ages as I haven't been doing photography so much the last 18 months or so ( grandkids/work/diy/golf lol )

Will give you a shout later next week once I'm off work - coffee ?

Mike.

Away till week after next, Mike, give me a call then?

Cheers, George.

Hi All,
I'm having problems getting my Nissin Di622 flash to work with my 5D III, whether via hotshoe or sync.

Flashgun works fine on my 40D and daughter's 400D.

Any advice please as to why it isn't working?

I thought there was an upgrade due around the end of May.. Obviously I am mistaken but thank you for your poor replies !

I thought there was an upgrade due around the end of May.. Obviously I am mistaken but thank you for your poor replies !

You're thinking about the 1DX.......it's out today

Hi admirable,

No, I'd already updated my 1DX, I must have been mistaken about the 5D3 firmware upgrade.

No need for replies like the ones posted earlier.

Hi Tugster
If you meen the AF at f8 for the 5dmk3 then yes it is out and work's a treat too.

Rob.

Hi Tugster
If you meen the AF at f8 for the 5dmk3 then yes it is out and work's a treat too.

Rob.

I had some fun with that...

300mm f/2.8 L + 2xMKIII converter + Kenko 1.4x converter = Really slooooow AF but useable at a push! :D

hi all

picture taken with 300 f4 + canon 1.4 mk2 + kenko 1.4
had no trouble focusing this combination showed in exif as 588mm
and 5dIII just saw it as a 300mm f4 ????

Exposure 1/125
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 588 mm
ISO Speed 640

garden shot 1 by Alan Brooks Photography, on Flickr

alan

Last edited:
Hi I have just bought one of these. The main control dial on the back sticks slightly every 4 clicks or so. Doesn't really cause a problem but it doesn't feel right. Any one else experienced this?

Can't say I've noticed it on mine Rob.

If anything it's miles better than any of the dials on my previous bodies felt.

Hi I have just bought one of these. The main control dial on the back sticks slightly every 4 clicks or so. Doesn't really cause a problem but it doesn't feel right. Any one else experienced this?

Sorry to hear that. Mine doesn't do this. Maybe it needs breaking in a bit, although it shouldn't need it.

Just got a 600rt flash just before the cash back ends hehe

Me too! It was cheaper with the cashback than buying grey import :)

I'm just waiting for my eneloop XX batteries to come from batterycity now. Seems they dispatch from Denmark despite having a UK trading address.

Last edited:
Me too! It was cheaper with the cashback than buying grey import :)

I'm just waiting for my eneloop XX batteries to come from batterycity now. Seems they dispatch from Denmark despite having a UK trading address.

hehe yea works out to be around 380 after cashback :)

bargain.

I am going to tesco's in a bit and buy some batteries LMAO:naughty:

Nope mine doesn't either. I'd suggest taking it back to where you bought it from

Nope mine doesn't either. I'd suggest taking it back to where you bought it from

Yes I think I will have to. It is annoying though as I don't want to be without a camera if they have to send it back to Canon.

Wondering if there's anyone around the St. Andrews ,Fife area that would be happy to meet up sometime soon, and allow me a bit of play time on there mk3.
Will bring all my Nikon kit for them to play with.
I'm still temped to switch systems but have yet to try the mk3, and don't want o make the switch without some hands on time.

Shouldn't have to as long as it was bought like it.
Should be a straight exchange.

Oh good. I am loving the 5d so much I wouldn't want to be without it for too long.

I have had three of the 600EX RT and the STE-3 for ages now. By the time I had sold my 580mk2, two 430mk2's and my pocket wizards, there was not that much extra to pay.
Excellent wireless system and so much better than the pocket wizards.
Only downside is no second curtain flash in radio mode with multiple flashes. Not needed it anyway lol.
As for the sticking wheel on the 5D3, I would take it in. Had something similar develop on a 5D2 but that was a bit if dirt that stuck behind the wheel. It cleared up eventually but I can't remember if it was after it had a visit to CPS or if the wheel just broke the dirt up over time. Was doing the same thing though, smooth for a few clicks then some resistance then smooth again etc

For the guys that have just bought the 600 RT flash (and anyone else who has one) how heavy is it on camera? I'm used to the weight of the 5D now but with a flash on it (I have the 430ex ii) for a while my wrists start complaining. However I was playing with some fill flash yesterday and I am beginning to wonder why I never used it more often :bonk: I can't justify the expense just yet but I feel the loss of the wireless function from the 7D will be my main reason for getting one!

My 580 exII adds a good bit of weight to the camera. However it's going to be the same if you add a nice 70-200 on the front, or any flash etc. Might consider strengthening your wrists with some reverse wrist curls. This will help with the fatigue.

I still think you'd benefit from isolating the wrists to strengthen them. Given that shoulder exercises, are, well for your shoulders. Front squats and clean and jerks helped my wrist flexibility/strength massively, but that may be going too far.

Coincidentally I'm waiting on physio for a rotator cuff problem at the moment. Photographing gigs is very tiring/painful at the moment!

Coincidentally I'm waiting on physio for a rotator cuff problem at the moment. Photographing gigs is very tiring/painful at the moment!

This is why I'm in physio, lots of theraband exercises. On the plus side it gives lots of upper body strength so lugging a 5D around becomes a hell of a lot easier!

I found those bands very good when I was strengthening the muscle around my knee, after a different injury I was at physio for 2 years ago. Trouble is I've got nowhere to set that up at home (you can buy them on Amazon).

I know, I've no excuse, I've even got some 1kg weights to work on them and exercises from my physio, it would be much easier if my ligaments tried harder! I have to ask what do you do for a living?

I work in IT for a bank, why do you ask?

Sorry to hear about the rotator cuff, that's one of my biggest fears. The resistance bands are fantastic btw, I use them to stretch my shoulders/rotator cuffs. Tie it to a bannister or door handle if you can.

Last edited:
Updated mine to firmware 1.21 today. I now have autofocus at f8 which means I can put a 1.4 tc on my 100-400

Back