Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Thanks, I thought that should be the case. I was testing it via LV and I could see the change (stopped down from about f/4 to f/22 to test), but through the VF it didn't appear to make a difference at all.

I must have been doing something wrong, I'll have another look later this afternoon.

Have you maybe got the DOF button programmed for something else?

Have you maybe got the DOF button programmed for something else?
I did have it initially changed to swap between AI focus and servo, but I've changed it back. Didn't get around to testing it out today, will hopefully get some time tomorrow. My models (daughters) were busy, the inconsiderate buggers.

I did have it initially changed to swap between AI focus and servo, but I've changed it back. Didn't get around to testing it out today, will hopefully get some time tomorrow. My models (daughters) were busy, the inconsiderate buggers.

Kids eh lol.

Its not something i use a lot, but i have recently found it can be useful. I too normally have that button set to switch between One shot and AI Servo and forgot to change it back from DOF. Thought the camera was miss focusing when i was chasing my son on his roller blades lol.

By the way, looks like EC in manual mode and auto ISO is now a reality on the 1Dx, i really hope we get it on the 5DMKIII.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8102

Hi all, just ordered a 5D3 and have been reading all the useful info on here.
I am upgrading from a 7D so I should see quite a difference I think. Never shot full frame before but already have an assortment of L glass so I am having to be very patient waiting for the camera to arrive.
Previous camera`s were 350D,40D 7D and now 5D3 when it comes.
Thank you all for the info you have provided
Dave P

That looks like the official Canon one, but it's not. The Canon one is only about £15 on Amazon, I'm not sure I'd bother with a knock off when the original is that cheap.

EDIT: Official one, £10.

Last edited:
What triggers are people using for off camera flash? Heard some issues regarding reliability of some third party stuff.

Its a lot of money for the canon 600Ex-RT and ST-3 RT if i wanted ETTL off camera unless theres another way? Pixel king? Pocket Wizards?

Last edited:
What triggers are people using for off camera flash? Heard some issues regarding reliability of some third party stuff.

Its a lot of money for the canon 600Ex-RT and ST-3 RT if i wanted ETTL off camera unless theres another way? Pixel king? Pocket Wizards?

For a completely painless experience, I have three 600EX RT's and an ST-E3 with my 5D3. Works great.
Had a very frustrating time with my previous Pocket Wizard Flex system and sold it. When flashes are inside a Hilite or hidden behind and below a light table, I just wanted something that works first time every time and be able to change the individual flash settings on camera. With my current system, I can do this.
For me, life is too short to be messing about trying to get other stuff to work :)
Selling off my two 430mk2's, 580 mk2 and my Pocket Wizard system pretty much paid for my 600EX RT's and STE3.

Anyone else worn paint off their 5D mk3? I have some significant wear on the bottom edge of mine and i ban only think it's where it rubs against my jeans when I carry it on my shoulder.

Might have to get some touch up paint somehow.

Autumn shoot with my boy. Colours are not quite here yet but a very nice day.

Single 580EX II and natural light..

10490908683_ddc5014724_o.jpg

Yes, mine looks a bit shabby on the bottom. Whatever they used to coat it is not as good as on even the cheaper low end cameras.
This is the first camera ive had that has got this sort of damage so quickly (in fact, none of my others ever did look like this).

I shot over 120,000 images on my 50d and it Didn't have anything lime this. I've a large area of paint missing. I might take it up with canon.

Anyone else worn paint off their 5D mk3? I have some significant wear on the bottom edge of mine and i ban only think it's where it rubs against my jeans when I carry it on my shoulder.

Might have to get some touch up paint somehow.

Yea mines got some paint scratched off

Thanks, will download later.

Release notes:

Firmware Version 1.2.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
  1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
  2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*
  3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
  4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
  5. Enables the brightness of the camera's LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.

*The phenomenon listed in 2 was addressed with Firmware Version 1.2.1, and has been further improved with Firmware Version 1.2.3.

Canon link.

Finally pulled the trigger on sunday for a 5d mkiii. Got a 24-105 with a 430exii from jessops, gutted i missed the free grip but i still got the adobe software, £60 casback from quidco and £40 cash back with the flash from canon. Screen protector and a SD card for backup will seem for done for a while.

I've been planning to buy the 5dm3 for a while - Jessops 0% finance keeps tempting me to get it now - but now the grip's out of the deal, it is a lot less attractive compared to the likes of hdew etc..

Is there a best time and place to buy it?

Also I keep seeing the advancements in mirrorless - I'd probably consider it if, it was as good as a 5dm3 - doesn't even need to have video ;) any reason to hold off?

October 2014 is a long way off, but I've a wedding shoot then - and I really would like to replace my 5dm2 by then - and have time to become familiar with the camera. Though I won't needlessly wait that long if I could have a new toy sooner :)

Last edited:
I've been planning to buy the 5dm3 for a while - Jessops 0% finance keeps tempting me to get it now - but now the grip's out of the deal, it is a lot less attractive compared to the likes of hdew etc..

Is there a best time and place to buy it?

Now. Panamoz.

I've used bank transfer with them each time I've bought from them and it's always been worthwhile. I've not checked their prices recently though. The 'now' was intended to give you an excuse to wait no longer!

I've used bank transfer with them each time I've bought from them and it's always been worthwhile. I've not checked their prices recently though. The 'now' was intended to give you an excuse to wait no longer!

I should sell my 5dm2, grip, battery.. and break the new to my wife.. :) it's my birthday soon though...she can't stay mad at me, right..

I would wait until you see what Christmas offers will be out there. I think there is a reason all the major UK dealers did an identicle package with the grips. Maybe they are emptying existing stock that they paid a higher price for to make way for new stock at a new lower price offering? Who knows?
If you don't need it right now, waiting 4 weeks won't hurt.

My only frustration to date with this camera, is not having a pop up flash included. There are sometimes when you just need that little bit of illumination in the foreground, and I don't like having the extra weight of a large flash-unit to carry around always.

Can anyone recommend a smallish flash unit that will not take up much room, but would work with this camera ?

Can anyone recommend a semi-decent or inexpensive rain cover for the lovely 5D3 + 70-200 range lens been caught out 2x over the last month with heavy rain. don't really want to waste 5k of gear :)

Can anyone recommend a semi-decent or inexpensive rain cover for the lovely 5D3 + 70-200 range lens been caught out 2x over the last month with heavy rain. don't really want to waste 5k of gear :)

Funny you should mention the rain. I got caught out in it yesterday at the Lord Mayors parade in London. Now my top dial isn't working properly. Its very erratic at the best of time, most of the time it just wont do anything. Very annoying, especially as its now the run up to Christmas and i know how long Canon can take to fix things if i send it in.

Funny you should mention the rain. I got caught out in it yesterday at the Lord Mayors parade in London. Now my top dial isn't working properly. Its very erratic at the best of time, most of the time it just wont do anything. Very annoying, especially as its now the run up to Christmas and i know how long Canon can take to fix things if i send it in.
What the... isn't the camera supposed to be weather sealed?

Well the way I understand it yes, but not waterproof, which I guess is where the 1D range take over.
I think it's more protection against moisture and dust, rather than small puddles of rain on the top of the camera.

I think I'm back to normal now, it seems to be working for longer each time I use it, but lesson learnt, keep the bloody thing dry in future.
It was just that top dial though, the rest of the camera seemed pretty water tight.

My only frustration to date with this camera, is not having a pop up flash included. There are sometimes when you just need that little bit of illumination in the foreground, and I don't like having the extra weight of a large flash-unit to carry around always.

Can anyone recommend a smallish flash unit that will not take up much room, but would work with this camera ?

The small one off the M series, second hand £50 virtually brand new and acts as a master unit too :)

Last edited:
Well the way I understand it yes, but not waterproof, which I guess is where the 1D range take over.
I think it's more protection against moisture and dust, rather than small puddles of rain on the top of the camera.

I think I'm back to normal now, it seems to be working for longer each time I use it, but lesson learnt, keep the bloody thing dry in future.
It was just that top dial though, the rest of the camera seemed pretty water tight.
Mine got drenched at Dunsfold all day and never missed a beat, been fine since too

I got a Canon 270EXII to go with my 5D. It's small but pretty powerful, can be bounced, and also works as a shutter remote if needed. Not the cheapest around, about £100 for digital rev, but I didn't want to spend money on something that I wouldn't use much. Even though I have 580EXII I do use the 270 more.

Mine got drenched at Dunsfold all day and never missed a beat, been fine since too
Well I'm hoping mine is just a bit of water in it, and hoping it will dry out quickly. If it's not then I'm going to have to wait until after Christmas to get it looked at.
It's not the first time I've got it wet, but the first time I've had this issue.

Looking into one of these my self.

What kind of warranty do you get with panamoz ? They are a lot cheaper with the kit lens than say Jessops or wex although they both do 0% finance and I can get a grip for £99 with Jessops if wanted so thats a further saving.

Back