Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I'm picking one up later today.. :) and from what I've seen on the web, 1.0.5 is the latest (Sep 2015) firmware version.

Yes with the cashback it brings the price in line with grey import prices, so seemed silly to pass up the opportunity for UK stock at that price. Thanks for confirmation of the firmware.

and from what I've seen on the web, 1.0.5 is the latest (Sep 2015) firmware version.

....How do I update my firmware, please?

I'm now a 7DII newb, picked it up this afternoon (latest firmware too).. :)
Looking forward to getting to grips with it.

And getting a hundred spons back from Canon of course.

Last edited:
I'm now a 7DII newb, picked it up this afternoon (latest firmware too).. :)
Looking forward to getting to grips with it.

And getting a hundred spons back from Canon of course.

Did you get it from the show or from a store? Should be £200 cashback if you got it at the show....

Surprised you guys aren't holding fire to see what the new 80D is like - Canon have finally got a brand new sensor for it with on an chip ADC design and improved DR. Just out of curiousity what is it that's selling the 7Dmk2 for you? I'm aware that the 7dmk2 has more AF points, is faster and weather sealed etc. which can sway it one way or the other, so just wondered whether you are choosing things like that over the 80D. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

.......more AF points, is faster and weather sealed etc.....

I also prefer to have options on buttons instead of via a touch screen and prefer a magnesium body over polycarbonate, CF and SD card shooting. Just feels more solid, even though it may not be any more durable in rea-life situations.

The 7d2 is the replacement for the 7d, the 80d is the replacement for the 70d. I made may choice and got a 7d2 it fitted my requirements and still does, i have no intention of comparing it with the 80d or a 1dx

Got my 7d Mk II a couple of weeks ago.... just a quick question for you all... does it have face recognition?

For instance I was shooting a christening (for a friend so not professionally) and I noticed on all AF points that it would select the nearest object which happened to be the end of a pew rather than my subject who was slightly smaller in frame.

In the end I gave up on all points AF and selected the group the face was in but as i'm still practising with this camera was wondering if this is normal or have a I missed a setting.

@GeeJay57 is there newer firmware than 1.0.5?

According to the manual it does when using Live View (5th button on the first menu tab). Not tested it myself yet though.

The Canon website indicates that 1.0.5 is the latest version of firmware as per the link above in post (#2244)

According to the manual it does when using Live View (5th button on the first menu tab). Not tested it myself yet though.

The Canon website indicates that 1.0.5 is the latest version of firmware as per the link above in post (#2244)

thats a shame if its only live view feature .... still working through menus myself so hopefully something will come up or someone with longer use will know.

If you use all points AF mode (and I think zone AF as well) with iTR turned on it also has face detection, but it only works in decent light.

Interesting ... I will check if iTR was turned on by looks it is by default and Ive not changed anything. The light in the church was surprisingly bright ISO 500 f2.8 and 1/60 so should have coped NO???

Interesting ... I will check if iTR was turned on by looks it is by default and Ive not changed anything. The light in the church was surprisingly bright ISO 500 f2.8 and 1/60 so should have coped NO???

I think that might be too low but I have no idea what the threshold is.

Just checked in my lounge, 1/80, f4 ISO2500 and it was picking up my daughters face each time anywhere in the frame and with clutter in the foreground. So really yes, that should have been plenty of light.

I'm aware that the 7dmk2 has more AF points, is faster and weather sealed etc. which can sway it one way or the other, so just wondered whether you are choosing things like that over the 80D.

Pretty much the reasons you stated...... also ergonomics, I don't think i could live without the joystick for af point selection and generally the layout of buttons is better for me, not to mention all the custom functions and customisable buttons.

Just checked in my lounge, 1/80, f4 ISO2500 and it was picking up my daughters face each time anywhere in the frame and with clutter in the foreground. So really yes, that should have been plenty of light.

Interesting on one shot /Ai servo? I tried both neither picked face. Wonder what setting I'm missing

So this morning i finally got out with the camera for the first time and got a few shots of the wife practicing her showjumping, i have to say i am super happy with the af performance compared to my old 7d, it's so nice to take a sequence of shots in a burst and all of them be in focus..... there were always one or 2 that were out on the og 7d. The initial lock also appears to be so much quicker and much more definite, it drives the lens into focus so quickly! i'm impressed. So far i have left it in case 1 and didn't feel a need to change any of the sensitivity's on that. The og 7d seemed to easily get distracted by fences that passed in the way whilst tracking my wife and horse, even with the sensitivity turned right down. I have left the mkII in the default setting for now but didn't appear to get any issues with it being distracted by other fences/wings. It is still early days and this was just one outing, so i will reserve judgment for now, though at the moment i will say, i'm impressed.

One really annoying issue i have found with it though, is i hate the the new exposure meter when in manual being on the right! i CANNOT SEE IT!!! I don't know if its because i use my left eye to vf? i don't know..... but in daylight (It was overcast so not bright) i could not make out the meter at all, i found myself guessing the exposure and taking a test shot and chimp to confirm instead. I can see this leading to missed shots...... I take it there is not a setting to be able to adjust the brightness of the meter in the VF??

Last edited:
Paul6657 go to the set up menu (with the spanner icon) then its the 4th sub menu along and displayed at the bottom.

One really annoying issue i have found with it though, is i hate the the new exposure meter when in manual being on the right! i CANNOT SEE IT!!! I don't know if its because i use my left eye to vf? i don't know..... but in daylight (It was overcast so not bright) i could not make out the meter at all, i found myself guessing the exposure and taking a test shot and chimp to confirm instead. I can see this leading to missed shots...... I take it there is not a setting to be able to adjust the brightness of the meter in the VF??

I'm not sure about changing the brightness. I haven't noticed this option anywhere, and I don't have trouble seeing mine with my right eye.

I use a 5D3 and a 7D2 and I am often caught out thinking my exposure is okay because I'm viewing the exposure compensation scale at the bottom instead of the exposure meter on the right! It drives me bonkers!

I tried to ask about it at the Photography Show recently, but I couldn't seem to make them understand, and was then told all 'professional' cameras have them on the right. I did feel I'd been put in my place!!

So.... does anyone know if it is possible to switch the exposure compensation meter and exposure meter around? Also, where is the meter on the 1Dx, just out of interest?

I'm not sure about changing the brightness. I haven't noticed this option anywhere, and I don't have trouble seeing mine with my right eye.

I use a 5D3 and a 7D2 and I am often caught out thinking my exposure is okay because I'm viewing the exposure compensation scale at the bottom instead of the exposure meter on the right! It drives me bonkers!

I tried to ask about it at the Photography Show recently, but I couldn't seem to make them understand, and was then told all 'professional' cameras have them on the right. I did feel I'd been put in my place!!

So.... does anyone know if it is possible to switch the exposure compensation meter and exposure meter around? Also, where is the meter on the 1Dx, just out of interest?
Try this link..

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.shtml

Thank you - it was worth a read, and the 1Dx exposure meter does seem to be on the right, however it doesn't mention being able to change this. Perhaps other future models will also end up with it on the right and they are changing us over?

As the professional guy at the show said, if you use two cameras, they should always be the same model, so perhaps this is where I'm going wrong ;) .. then I'd just get used to wherever the exposure meter is.

I have to agree, I love my 7D2 to bits, and it probably gets more use than my 5D3, but that is my one big gripe with it. Like you I am a left eye shooter and I really struggle to see the manual exposure meter. If I wiggle the camera to different angles and squint I can sometimes see it, but certainly not reliably. It is very irritating!

I had a 1d mkiii when they came out for a short while, again the meter is on the right (its on the right on all 1d cameras i believe) but i never had a problem with that one, yes i would forget it was on the right but when i remembered at least i could actually see it. The one on the 7d2 just seems really faint, especially out in daylight, there was just no way i could see the which end of the scale the dot was at, i could barely make out where the line was let alone the indicator. It's awkward as i shoot in manual 90% of the time, i'm sure i will get used to it, it certainly not enough to put me off this camera. Loving it so far.

Quick question regarding the custom button settings. I have set my * button as one shot/ai servo and my m-fn button to cycle through iso/drive etc. Did i read somewhere that i can program a button, say the * or m-fn button to bring up whole different shooting set up? example, i'm in manual at f2.8 with a fast shutter on center point focussing, ai servo shooting show jumping, i just hit the * button and it switches me to AV f5.6 with a touch of +EC one shotand focus point set for the eye to catch a quick portrait, then let go and it returns back to my manual f2.8 settings so i can carry on shooting the event? or is that something i read about when reading up on the 1dx but have muddled it in my brain thinking it was something i could do on the 7d2.

Last edited:
Quick question regarding the custom button settings. I have set my * button as one shot/ai servo and my m-fn button to cycle through iso/drive etc. Did i read somewhere that i can program a button, say the * or m-fn button to bring up whole different shooting set up? example, i'm in manual at f2.8 with a fast shutter on center point focussing, ai servo shooting show jumping, i just hit the * button and it switches me to AV f5.6 with a touch of +EC one shotand focus point set for the eye to catch a quick portrait, then let go and it returns back to my manual f2.8 settings so i can carry on shooting the event? or is that something i read about when reading up on the 1dx but have muddled it in my brain thinking it was something i could do on the 7d2.

Played about with customising the buttons again and found that yes, you can indeed assign a complete different set of settings to one of the af-on or * buttons. I'm quite blown away with how customisable this camera is. Going to take a while to get my head around some of the features.

It's better than the 1 Dx, but the 1Dx mk2 has similar ability to customise, excellent feature.

Yes I wish the 1DX has the custom options of the MkII on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons but it does allow the C1/2/3 functions to be set to the m-fn button so I use that to set up different options. I found that setting C1/2 on the dial of the MkII not a lot of use for me when shooting wildlife as it involved taking the camera from my eye. Surprised they didn't offer a firmware update for the 1Dx with it but I'm sure that the new one will have that and more. Always the same, newer usually means more than has gone before on these cameras.

Finally got around to sorting a few sample pics from my recently acquired EOS 7DII paired with the 100-400mm IS II I picked up last year..

Enjoying this combination so far... :)

Last edited:
Back