Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

One of the menu has it, it's call Shutter Count.
I cant find it, its not in the manual either, the best i get is in the battery bit but that resets when you change the battery so not very useful. i did figure out how to set the joystick up to change AF and the button underneath it to switch AF mode though, they ought to be set up like that really though but i guess its not a noobie camera

There is no way to check the shutter count on the 5D4, at least not on the camera itself. If the numbering has stated at a number other than 0 then i would assume you have used a card that has already had images on it. The camera can set to continue with the numbering, and this will continue from the last Canon body it was used in.
You can change this to re set the counter but its an image counter and not a shutter counter.

Last edited:
There is no way to check the shutter count on the 5D4, at least not on the camera itself. If the numbering has stated at a number other than 0 then i would assume you have used a card that has already had images on it. The camera can set to continue with the numbering, and this will continue from the last Canon body it was used in.
You can change this to re set the counter but its an image counter and not a shutter counter.

Fair enough, it looks new anyway, so I'm sure it'll be ok but the card was brand new also, from amazon and sealed in the frustration free packaging too. Oh well, I'll never know

And you havent used another card in the camera before that?

That number looks very strange. I know the folders are normally numbered 100-xxxx but Ive never seen a file with that type of numbering. Its not the way the camera is naming the files is it? you can change the first part in camera.

I swear I seen shutter counter on mine, I recall thinking "this is neat!" And I recall after the last wedding I compared the shutter count of both bodies....I'm not home now to check but will confirm later.

You can see how many shots a battery has taken since inserting it, but no Canon bodies will show the actual shutter count.

Should add, you can have the camera zero the image number manually or automatically, but this is different from seeing the overall total shutter count. Its just resetting the numbering used in camera starting at a certain point.

Last edited:
You can see how many shots a battery has taken since inserting it, but no Canon bodies will show the actual shutter count.

Should add, you can have the camera zero the image number manually or automatically, but this is different from seeing the overall total shutter count. Its just resetting the numbering used in camera starting at a certain point.

I think default is continuos numbering? But I think they reset every 10000 to zero. The only Canon camera that will give you an approximate count are the 1DX MkI and II I think.

Im in the club :)

RAS_4315-2.jpg

Have a look here :)
https://itunes.apple.com/app/shuttercount/id720123827?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo=4

I had a really weird issue at a wedding yesterday with my mk4 and thank god I spotted it early. I shoot RAW, never change the setting and after about half an hour of starting I noticed the camera said I had over 2000 shots available. Odd, so I went through the menus and found the camera was recording small RAW and small Jpegs to both cards. I checked the start of the coverage and it was set to full size RAW at the start of the day and the first 20 or so images were in the right format. I definitely didn't change the setting via the menu so is there a possible way I've knocked a button without realising? I thought the only way to change it was through the menu.

I had a really weird issue at a wedding yesterday with my mk4 and thank god I spotted it early. I shoot RAW, never change the setting and after about half an hour of starting I noticed the camera said I had over 2000 shots available. Odd, so I went through the menus and found the camera was recording small RAW and small Jpegs to both cards. I checked the start of the coverage and it was set to full size RAW at the start of the day and the first 20 or so images were in the right format. I definitely didn't change the setting via the menu so is there a possible way I've knocked a button without realising? I thought the only way to change it was through the menu.

I believe that can be changed by the touchscreen, even in live view as well. You could have accidentally done it somehow?

One of my 5DIV had an error on the LCD at the top yesterday during the ceremony! I turned it off then on again but it did not boot up... It says something about card error prior to turning it off..horrified I left it and kept shooting with my other body for a minute (this is why you have 2 bodies folks!) and then it came back to life like nothing happened. All the files present, no more error for another 9 hours of shooting.

Weird.

Last edited:

Did you use any of the custom slots? It's possible to program different settings on these so they can change without needing to go in to the menus.
One of my 5DIV had an error on the LCD at the top yesterday during the ceremony! I turned it off then on again but it did not boot up... It says something about card error prior to turning it off..horrified I left it and kept shooting with my other body for a minute (this is why you have 2 bodies folks!) and then it came back to life like nothing happened. All the files present, no more error for another 9 hours of shooting.

Weird.

Ive had lock up issues a few times. Can't pin it down but I think its a card issue. Sometimes I need to take the battery out, other times its just a matter of waiting a few more seconds.

Having come from the Mark 3 I just copied the vast majority of my settings across to the Mark 4. I wish I'd read the manual as I've just noticed that there is another level of customisation with the custom controls.

For example, on the Mark 3 I had:
- Shutter half press, metering only
- AE Lock on the AF-ON button
- AF-ON on the AE Lock button (Switched these two as the AE Lock button was a better reach for my thumb)
- ONE SHOT/AI SERVO Toggle on the DOF Preview button

Now with the Mark 4 I can have:
- Metering and AF Start (ONE SHOT) on the AE Lock button
- Metering and AF Start (AI SERVO) on the AF-ON button
- AE Lock on DOF Preview button.

That extra layer of settings beyond the basic function is great. Makes things so quick and easy to find.

Having come from the Mark 3 I just copied the vast majority of my settings across to the Mark 4. I wish I'd read the manual as I've just noticed that there is another level of customisation with the custom controls.

For example, on the Mark 3 I had:
- Shutter half press, metering only
- AE Lock on the AF-ON button
- AF-ON on the AE Lock button (Switched these two as the AE Lock button was a better reach for my thumb)
- ONE SHOT/AI SERVO Toggle on the DOF Preview button

Now with the Mark 4 I can have:
- Metering and AF Start (ONE SHOT) on the AE Lock button
- Metering and AF Start (AI SERVO) on the AF-ON button
- AE Lock on DOF Preview button.

That extra layer of settings beyond the basic function is great. Makes things so quick and easy to find.

I have added one of the buttons, I think the * button, when pressed, it changed the camera from my usual One Shot Focus in single point focus to AI servo on a wide spread tracking. Perfect when something suddenly pops out of nowhere and my focus point was in the wrong place. Also great for tracking subject walking towards or away from me.

I have added one of the buttons, I think the * button, when pressed, it changed the camera from my usual One Shot Focus in single point focus to AI servo on a wide spread tracking. Perfect when something suddenly pops out of nowhere and my focus point was in the wrong place. Also great for tracking subject walking towards or away from me.

Same here. The only issue i have with all this is remembering it all.

I believe that can be changed by the touchscreen, even in live view as well. You could have accidentally done it somehow?
That seems a very likely explanation, thanks. Keep forgetting the mk4 has touchscreen.

That seems a very likely explanation, thanks. Keep forgetting the mk4 has touchscreen.

Not unless you press the quick menu button though? You may have set a button to change that. Be careful to check it.

Hi all you 5D4 guys 'n gals

I have the 5D3 and got it as a step to FF and improved AF over my 7D.......and the mk3 is indeed what I wanted.

However, the mk4 does by all the reports I read look like more than just an incremental upgrade. But as I part of my usage is wildlife including BiF how do you guys find it for those sort of subjects. NB such photography is not just about frame rate though the extra 1fps is not doubt welcome ;) but AF focus acquisition and AI servo tracking are key!

Hi guys,

Do any of you use the 5D Mark IV for video?

I am a bit confused of the benefits of Motion JPEG (.MOV) files over (.MP4), the files it kicks out are massive however!

I've been using a 40D and on my recent trip to Sri Lanka I was a bit disappointed with the results I was getting, especially the wildlife material I shot. With a big trip to the Galapagos next year I've decided to go full frame and L lenses.

I was pondering between the 6D and 5DMK111 but found the 6D a bit small and the M11! a bit heavy when I tried them both in the shop. Although it upped the budget the Mk1V seems ideal.

Also got the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS L and 24-105 IS L. (I got the MK 1 of this lens rather than the MK 11 as my research led me to believe the gains were marginal but the weight was higher.)

One question on Memory cards - Am I right in thinking the CF cards are the best choice for Video and the SD for stills (or doesn't it matter?)
I will be mainly using it for stills, but could I dedicate one card to stills and one to video?
I'm a bit confused with all the options, speeds and sizes, what is a sensible choice?

I had thought of something like these would be practical choice (without breaking the bank).

SanDisk extreme 32GB (90 MB/s) £29.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q4X8O9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

SanDisk extreme 32GB (90 MB/s) twin pack £30.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LPZ7IWG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

It's now going to be a big learning curve to master before April next year, so I'll be looking for tips!

Last edited:
Cf cards are faster, I have a 64gb sandisk card and it was £45 from amazon, if I were going on a trip like you I'd buy a few more and maybe a big SD card like 256gb to keep jpegs on as a back up

Can't help with video, I just use a GoPro and let it do what it wants, sorry

Personally, I would also get rid of the 70-300 and get a 100-400 I or ii or 70-200 and 2x tc

I've been using a 40D and on my recent trip to Sri Lanka I was a bit disappointed with the results I was getting, especially the wildlife material I shot. With a big trip to the Galapagos next year I've decided to go full frame and L lenses.

I was pondering between the 6D and 5DMK111 but found the 6D a bit small and the M11! a bit heavy when I tried them both in the shop. Although it upped the budget the Mk1V seems ideal.

Also got the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS L and 24-105 IS L. (I got the MK 1 of this lens rather than the MK 11 as my research led me to believe the gains were marginal but the weight was higher.)

One question on Memory cards - Am I right in thinking the CF cards are the best choice for Video and the SD for stills (or doesn't it matter?)
I will be mainly using it for stills, but could I dedicate one card to stills and one to video?
I'm a bit confused with all the options, speeds and sizes, what is a sensible choice?

I had thought of something like these would be practical choice (without breaking the bank).

SanDisk extreme 32GB (90 MB/s) £29.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q4X8O9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

SanDisk extreme 32GB (90 MB/s) twin pack £30.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LPZ7IWG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

It's now going to be a big learning curve to master before April next year, so I'll be looking for tips!

If you set the cards to record separately then movies will record to the card that is selected for playback.

I have the 5D3 and got it as a step to FF and improved AF over my 7D.......and the mk3 is indeed what I wanted.

However, the mk4 does by all the reports I read look like more than just an incremental upgrade. But as I part of my usage is wildlife including BiF how do you guys find it for those sort of subjects. NB such photography is not just about frame rate though the extra 1fps is not doubt welcome ;) but AF focus acquisition and AI servo tracking are key!

FWIW I decided to upgrade my 1DIV in May and as I am no longer shooting for money I couldn't justify the cost of a 1DXII and decided upon the 5DIV. I primarily shoot wildlife. In fact I only shoot wildlife.

I took it on its first 'proper' trip to Mull in June and could not be happier. I had a terrible week weatherwise so was using ISOs that I couldn't use on the 1DIV. AF was very very accurate. I did find the AF was slightly slower than what I was used to but I was shooting on spot focus most of the time so probably that was the reason. Yeah it's not as fast FPS wise but honestly I didn't feel I was losing out.

In summary can a 5DIV shoot wildlife? For me and the way I shoot most definitely.

Neil

FWIW I decided to upgrade my 1DIV in May and as I am no longer shooting for money I couldn't justify the cost of a 1DXII and decided upon the 5DIV. I primarily shoot wildlife. In fact I only shoot wildlife.

I took it on its first 'proper' trip to Mull in June and could not be happier. I had a terrible week weatherwise so was using ISOs that I couldn't use on the 1DIV. AF was very very accurate. I did find the AF was slightly slower than what I was used to but I was shooting on spot focus most of the time so probably that was the reason. Yeah it's not as fast FPS wise but honestly I didn't feel I was losing out.

In summary can a 5DIV shoot wildlife? For me and the way I shoot most definitely.

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for the insight/recommendation

Have you any of those 5D4 wildlife images to share from that Mull trip......including any where AF 'showed itself well' ???

Haven't processed much yet but I'll find you some otters and sandpipers tomorrow

Looks to me as if the AF is going to be very similar to the mk3, remember it is also about what lens you use, the sensitive AF points only work with fast f2.8 lenses. I downloaded the MK4 manual and compared sensitivity points to my mk3 and they seem identical.
So I can't see a MK4 offering a step change for that I think you might need to go 1dx MK2 or get expensive 2.8 lenses.
Matt

Looks to me as if the AF is going to be very similar to the mk3, remember it is also about what lens you use, the sensitive AF points only work with fast f2.8 lenses. I downloaded the MK4 manual and compared sensitivity points to my mk3 and they seem identical.
So I can't see a MK4 offering a step change for that I think you might need to go 1dx MK2 or get expensive 2.8 lenses.
Matt

Hmm! AFAIK the number of AF points is the same but spread out more in the mk4. Plus I thought more were cross type points......and all were able to focus @ f8 (unlike the centre one with the 4 expanded 'helper' ones on the mk3)

Also, fairly sure I read that the AF system on the mk3 is very similar to the 1DX and on the mk4 it shares more of the 1DX mk2 AF system.

In other words there are marked improvements, at least on paper, between the mk3 and the mk4 in the AF department.

Hmm! AFAIK the number of AF points is the same but spread out more in the mk4. Plus I thought more were cross type points......and all were able to focus @ f8 (unlike the centre one with the 4 expanded 'helper' ones on the mk3)

Also, fairly sure I read that the AF system on the mk3 is very similar to the 1DX and on the mk4 it shares more of the 1DX mk2 AF system.

In other words there are marked improvements, at least on paper, between the mk3 and the mk4 in the AF department.
True, but if you look at the manual you will find a 100-400 MK1 with 1.4mk 1 extender has a very limited number of AF active points and only the centre one is cross type. To take full advantage on the sensors you need latest generation lenses and/or extenders when using telephoto lenses.
Matt

Back