1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    I will have download the manual and see what it says, as I have the 100-400mm mk2 and the x1.4TC mk3

2. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Looks like you will get a few more AF points with that combo, so AF should be better than 5d3.
    Maybe hire a body and check it out before taking the plunge, although the other improvements would also make the upgrade worthwhile.
    Matt

3. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    With the MKI and II converters you get up to 9 points with one cross type. With the MkIII converter you get all 61 points with 21 cross type in the centre band from top to bottom.

It's worth checking what you're own lenses will do regarding AF points with a converter. Even the MkII superteles cannot use all the dual cross points with a converter attached.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  4. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ah! so the devil is in the details..........lens/TC model Mk specific as just how many AF points are utilised.

5. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Outer ones are horizontal lines only, so, better than 5d3 for sure, but how much better?
    Matt

6. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Some lenses don't have a difference at all whether it's a MKI/II/III converter. Some do, although the MKIII converter is better than the previous versions and has been designed for optimism performance especially with the MkII superteles. As an aside, on the MkIII converter you should always mount the converter to the lens first and then the lens to the body.

MatBin likes this.
  7. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Indeed, some slightly less than totally accurate advertising blurb.
    Matt

8. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Love it :)

9. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's a lot better than the 5D3. The 5D4 has the Large Zone AF which corresponds exactly to those 21 cross points. Also the Zone AF gives you the ability to offset the array to the top and bottom if you need to and still get more accuracy

10. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Bloody predictive text. Bane of the modern world

MatBin likes this.
  11. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Stop it :)
    I AM happy with my 5D3

12. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    So was I. Sold it to buy a 7D2 and then wished I hadn't. So when the MkIV came out, especially with the 30 meg sensor I was always going to buy one, just a question of when. I use it for macro and close up mainly. Now, because of my GAS, I need to get rid of a 1DX to balance the books a bit. ☹️

13. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My son bought a 7d2, had a go with it and although the AF looks better I don't like the images any better, so won't be swapping for that model. The 5d4 is very tempting.

14. James Thomas 75

James Thomas 75

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Are any of you 5D4 owners using elements, by any chance?

Reason I ask, is I've only recently just updated mine to elements 14 to cater for the household 80D RAW files.

I've had a quick Google, but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to which ACR version the 5D4 uses (and what the highest version is on my current software)

Many Thanks for any help.

15. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Elements 14 has Camera Raw 9.5. You need 9.7 for the 5D4

James Thomas 75 likes this.
  16. James Thomas 75

James Thomas 75

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks very much for your help.

I assume it's elements 15 I'll eventually need then.
    More money... :D

17. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Unfortunately yes. You could download Adobe's DNG converter and use that. The converter has Camera Raw 9.7

18. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Looking at the manual for my lens used with the mk3 TC I would be able to use all 61 AF points but those in that central vertical zone being all cross type would have improved AF s.d tracking.

However, as Max aperture would be f8, AF may fail with low light situations and low contrast subjects.

Overall the above is a massive improvement over the 5D3 with the lens & TC together.

No brainer really.......just need to sort the sales of unused gear & what the 5D3 will be worth = a 5D4 if the shortfall of money can be 'found' :)

19. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have a read of Gaz's posts above and tbh chances are the situations when you want to use a 100/400 with TC will be in pretty good light, I have found with the 5D3 using centre AF at F8 it doesnt fail often, probably Canon just including a get out clause. I only have an "old" 100/400 an TC so I wouldnt gain a lot by going 5D4.

20. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I use the 100-400 MkII with a 1.4 MkIII a lot in all sorts of light and I've found the combination to be very good. As Matt said you'll be generally using it in pretty decent light.

21. kickstart

kickstart

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not likely as I've only just bought it!
    It was a decision based on budget and most likely use - my daughter has the 70-200 f2.8L so I might be able to borrow that with an extender.

Do the extenders work with to 70-300?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  22. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If this is the 70-300 L lens then Canon converters won't work. They will fit but due to the way that the lens zooms inside the back element will hit the teleconverter. I think that converters with a flat face like Kenko may fit but not sure.

23. Mike.P

Mike.P

Edit My Images:
    No
    Kenko works fine with the 70-300 L on my M5 so I would imagine it will be ok on MKIV.

24. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
  25. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi i use the 100-400 mk2 with the 1.4x and it focuses fine on my 5d4

26. Bebop

Bebop

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have both the 70-300 and the 100-400 ii. I couldn't bring myself to part with the 70-300 because it is so compact. I don't use it very often to be honest, but there are times when I'm really glad I've kept it. It is annoying that it won't take the 1.4 convertor though. I have heard the Kenko one fits.

As @jonneymendoza says, I've also had no problems with this combination on the 5D4

27. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart (duh)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That's not really a question about the 5D Mk IV. You might get a better response if you were to ask it in 'Talk Video'.

28. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Kenko ones do work with e 70-300 (in fact with most lenses), but ive had exposure issues with mine. I first noticed it on my 80D with this lens and extender. On my 5D3 i had no issues with this combo, but on my 80D and 5D4 i find i get quite a lot of over exposed images. Noticeably over exposed, not just a bit. The meter in the camera seems to indicate that exposure is good but the images can be washed out. Never had this on the 5D3 (or 650D for that matter).

jonoooo125 and kickstart like this.
  29. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Guys, i have a question that i Think the answer is you cant, but thought I'd ask anyway.
    When i shoot stills i have my camera configured to let me hold the SET button and using the top dial i can adjust the ISO. How do i do this when shooting video in Manual mode? It seems like the ability to customise the back buttons doesn't carry over to video mode.

30. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Cant do it Dave. Page 505 in the manual.

dave_bass5 likes this.
  31. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Gary. Shame about that. I don't use video much (at all) but tonight was the first time i needed to. I must admit i was a bit lost in this mode when it came out making adjustments.

32. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can overlay the ISO on the rear screen when the image is live but I'm sure you know that already. That's the only way it seems.

dave_bass5 likes this.
  33. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks, that's exactly what i ended up doing.

34. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sometimes I love rain.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Carlo, digital, SsSsSsSsSnake and 2 others like this.
  35. Balb0wa

Balb0wa

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    michael23 and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  36. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
  37. Royroy1111

Royroy1111

Name:
    Roy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    IMG_4893.JPG Love my MIv Yesterday at Castle Combe.

38. digital

digital

Edit My Images:
    No
    Working my way through images from a recent trip, I'm surprised to find that the GPS data doesn't include compass information as it does on my 7D2 and the GP-E2s that I used to use. A disappointing step backwards.

39. James Thomas 75

James Thomas 75

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Are any of you guys / gals using protectors on your camera screens?
    If so, which ones are you using, please?

40. Gaz J

Gaz J

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Larmour glass protector. Easy to fit and can't really tell it's there.

James Thomas 75 likes this.