Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

£2760 import @ at e infinity, had a few things from there over the years, it was good when they listed canon things on ebay and you had a 10 or 20% ebay code, only seem to put nikon on there at the moment.

http://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3071/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_dslr_camera_(body_only)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=einfinityshop1&_sop=16

About http://www.e-infin.com/uk/

how are guarantees/problems handled within the UK? Are these 'grey' imports?
UK chargers?

VAT not important but for initial warranty or purchasing of subsequent extensions.

Also, registering it on Canon (uk?) site as owned gear, insuring it and getting it serviced by canon (e.g., like if there's a recall).

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but a few days after the launch of a 5Dx, it's pretty amazing to see so little activity on this thread from people who have bought this camera. As I recall, it was a feeding frenzy when the 5D3 came out?

FWIW, unfortunately for me, the price vs. improvement can't but justified until the cost drops significantly.

If there any any other owners out there??

I have one niggling problem I can't work out..I seem to only have a 14 shot buffer?

I have a UDMA class 7 CF card with 160mb/s...is that quick enough?

Im not on silent...so i can figure out why on 14 shots...i thought it should be 21?

I have one niggling problem I can't work out..I seem to only have a 14 shot buffer?

Im not on silent...so i can figure out why on 14 shots...i thought it should be 21?

Dual pixel raw on?

Incidentally, the headline speed for memory cards is usually the read speed; '160mb/s' is probably that. When it comes to shooting bursts its write speed that matters

Last edited:
no dual pixel raw is not on, I have DLO off too? Which is why I can't figure out why I am not getting the max buffer?

I bought a few sandisk extreme pro's 160mb/s read....150 mb/s write...would be a PITA to relegate them to spares already!

**That said it did take me 20 mins to figure out why my white balance was so off before I figured out there were two AWB's!! (one of which doesn't white balance...but I'll not go there!)

Last edited:
If they're genuine cards I'd imagine they're plenty fast enough.
That headline buffer size will assume that you're shooting basically a black nothing (smaller files) and you have a high shutter speed- though it sounds like you should be able to get 30+ frames like that:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx

I guess things like focus/shutter priority and picture settings will also make a difference.

Last edited:

I noticed on Johnny's video the buffer seemed to fill quickly?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but a few days after the launch of a 5Dx, it's pretty amazing to see so little activity on this thread from people who have bought this camera. As I recall, it was a feeding frenzy when the 5D3 came out?

FWIW, unfortunately for me, the price vs. improvement can't but justified until the cost drops significantly.
I'm too busy shooting hehe

This is an awesome camera, touch control is very quick and AF is pretty snappy whenever I point it at anything, I like to take landscapes so I was pleased when my Kirk L bracket also fitted the 5d mark iv without any problems and doesn't compromise the remote shutter release port which is now on the front of the camera, early impressions of images in jpeg are very good with lots of detail although I cant wait for LR/PS so I can push the raw files a bit more. exposure is very good and it seems to get it spot on most of the time. Only thing I think I don't like is it doesn't seem as robust as the 5d mk iii theirs more plastic on this one and the controls are a little more flimsy than the mark iii. but its meant to be more water proof. I just hope its a hard wearing. Overall very happy with the upgrade but not the price. Shame on Canon for hiking it up so much in the uk.

In my case AFMA, god I hate AFMA, surely Cannon can up with a way to point the camera at a target and let it sort it self out...did i mention I hate AFMA :(

Do you have lenses out on the mk4?

In my case AFMA, god I hate AFMA, surely Cannon can up with a way to point the camera at a target and let it sort it self out...did i mention I hate AFMA :(

You mean something like the one on the Nikon D5 that's gives different results each time. I'll settle for Focal and a LensCal.

What does afma mean.

Auto focus micro adjustment.

In a nut shell, cameras and lenses are built to acceptable tolerances.

Let's say they are +\- 10.

If your camera is say +2 and the lens is +1 then it's not much probably not enough to worry about.

Your camera could be +10 but the lens -9 so they pretty much cancel each other out..so again fine

...but you could have say a +8 and a +7 in which case it's more of a problem:

AFMA allows you to calibrate your camera to each lens..

I do this with a spydercal which pretty much means shooting endless test shots and deciding which is the slightly sharper.

It's not that bad when you by a new lens as its only 1 lens..but when it's a new camera and you need to do all your lenses (and zooms you get to do twice (at wide and tel end)) it's not the most fun evening

Last edited:
You mean something like the one on the Nikon D5 that's gives different results each time. I'll settle for Focal and a LensCal.

Is focal any good, I have heard mixed reviews? Do you need to manually make the AFMA adjustment or is it automated?

Last edited:
Auto focus micro adjustment.

In a nut shell, cameras and lenses are built to acceptable tolerances.

Let's say they are +\- 10.

If your camera is say +2 and the lens is +1 then it's not much probably not enough to worry about.

Your camera could be +10 but the lens -9 so they pretty much cancel each other out..so again fine

...but you could have say a +8 and a +7 in which case it's more of a problem:

AFMA allows you to calibrate your camera to each lens..

I do this with a spydercal which pretty much means shooting endless test shots and deciding which is the slightly sharper.

It's not that bad when you by a new lens as its only 1 lens..but when it's a new camera and you need to do all your lenses (and zooms you get to do twice (at wide and tel end)) it's not the most fun evenings
This is where mirrorless have an advantage!

If they (mirrorless) can get focus quick enough - which I'm hoping the new X-T2 can (not tested personally). I have the X-E2 with V4.x firmware and it is without doubt woefully incapable of locking focus on almost anything but stationary objects. And, in anything but good, bright lighting, this is even more of an issue.

Last edited:
Is focal any good, I have heard mixed reviews? Do you need to manually make the AFMA adjustment or is it automated?

I use it for my zoom lenses and it seems ok. Some cameras are fully auto, some are semi auto for want of a better word. I follow the set up recommendations to the letter and it seems to work. However for my 500 I use a LensCal which I find gives good results.

Shaun,firstly the FoCal software upgrade for the 5D4 isn't out yet (as far as I'm aware!!) , it may take a month or so, and it's not totally automatic on current Canon bodies, you have to manually adjust the AFMA setting between tests, but it's not a big issue.

Personally I've been using it for years and found it worthwhile, but I don't worry about getting it exactly right, I reckon +/- 4 or 5 is fine....you can get too hung up on the technicalities - and the new bodies and lenses seem to be made to tighter tolerances.

George

Overall very happy with the upgrade but not the price. Shame on Canon for hiking it up so much in the uk.

Well, you're an early adopter so will pay a premium, plus Uk has always paid £ per dollar equivalent.

...but only because some users muck around with this for no reason :)

None of my lenses have ever needed it. Some people just do it for the sake of it and muck it up :/

...but only because some users muck around with this for no reason :)

None of my lenses have ever needed it. Some people just do it for the sake of it and muck it up :/

Actually, Jim, I'd take issue with that, I really don't see how you can muck it up if you follow the instructions, and you can see the projected improvement before you accept the adjustment....but I'm talking about FoCal.

It has certainly given me an edge in sharpness particularly with tele and s/tele lenses.

George.

Interesting favourable review overall. Good to compare against the mk3 which I love so I can see this being a firm favourite.

Actually, Jim, I'd take issue with that, I really don't see how you can muck it up if you follow the instructions, and you can see the projected improvement before you accept the adjustment....but I'm talking about FoCal.

It has certainly given me an edge in sharpness particularly with tele and s/tele lenses.

George.

I have a quick test George with a new lens or body. I pin a seed packet to the fence and shoot it wide open from around 10-12 metres away. If I can read the writing at the bottom which is 2mm high then I know that its fairly close. I then do a -5 and + 5 and if it gets worse each time then I don't feel the need to get the LensCal and tripods out.

Last edited:
I have a quick test George with a new lens or body. I pin a seed packet to the fence and shoot it wide open from around 10-12 metres away. If I can read the writing at the bottom which is 2mm high then I know that its fairly close. I then do a -5 and + 5 and if it gets worse each time then I don't feel the need to feel the need to get the LensCal and tripods out.

Whatever works for you, is what matters.

Far be it from me to tell others what to do, but I'm just chipping in my money's worth!!

George

Back