Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

Yeah, saw that. Tony was a little odd in that video!

I don't think any DSLR will impress him now that he seems to have got the mirrorless bug, judging from that video and the D850 one he has also put out. :rolleyes:
I guess he's in the best position as he tests camera's on a regular basis...... mirrorless is obviously giving him what he wants/needs :D

I really have no idea where they get some of these reviewers from these days! The D750 vs 6DmkII comparison on Digital Rev is comical. They clearly are just going of spec sheets. Some of the hands on reviews are so bias either towards Nikon or Canon its unreal!

I really have no idea where they get some of these reviewers from these days! The D750 vs 6DmkII comparison on Digital Rev is comical. They clearly are just going of spec sheets. Some of the hands on reviews are so bias either towards Nikon or Canon its unreal!
Digital rev is dead?

This just sums up every review about any brand though.

Either you are experienced with cameras so you can see through the bias from a mile away, in which case you'll do plenty of research and already have a bias of your own, or you don't have much experience and you'll be happy with whatever you go for as most cameras on the market are bloody fantastic.

After 2 years of waiting for this camera to come out I've dropped the cash and gone for it..........

and bought a 5dMkiv. :exit::banana:

Well done, genuinely pleased for you and a camera I had considered too.

After 2 years waiting for the 6d mark ii I've dropped the cash and gone for it......

And bought a Nikon d750!!!

(Saving £1700 compared to 5d mark iv to put into lenses. All these arguments about swapping systems costing money? I should be well in!)

After 2 years waiting for the 6d mark ii I've dropped the cash and gone for it......

(Saving £1700 compared to 5d mark iv to put into lenses. All these arguments about swapping systems costing money? I should be well in!)

And after waiting for 2 years I decided to put my money in Canon......

5Ds R

Brave man! I am tempted to follow suit, do you/did you have a lot of Canon gear to sell? Any particular reason for the switch?

Brave man! I am tempted to follow suit, do you/did you have a lot of Canon gear to sell? Any particular reason for the switch?

Hi Archie.

As primarily a landscape photographer I wanted to do 2 things, save weight primarily and as a bonus (at the time) gain base ISO dynamic range.

So, a year ago I bought a pair of Sony A7 ii's, but kept most of my canon glass. I quickly realised that I loved the increase in dynamic range alongside the weight saving and the tilt screen. However, in my opinion mirrorless does not really work (as in you don't gain the weight savings using converted lenses) unless you use lightweight native lenses. Also, I realised that I missed a DSLR, I found the Sony very frustrating and missed my old Canons.

The plan then was to wait for the 6dii which would obviously show the same leaps forward as the 80d, 1dxii and 5div with on sensor ADC technology. But hopefully be lighter and gain an articulated screen. Well, this wasn't to be so I am chopping in my Sony cameras and Canon lenses to move to Nikon. To be fair the D750 looks an absolute beast of a camera.

I know a lot of people bat on about not switching and I fully get that I am the weak link with my equipment whatever system I use but to be honest I enjoy buying new stuff and I have another reason to want to learn both of the major systems as well as mirrorless. I'm sure I will love the D750 but equally there will be things Canon do better, and I will still miss Canon I have shot them on film and digital for years.

Hi Archie.

As primarily a landscape photographer I wanted to do 2 things, save weight primarily and as a bonus (at the time) gain base ISO dynamic range.

So, a year ago I bought a pair of Sony A7 ii's, but kept most of my canon glass. I quickly realised that I loved the increase in dynamic range alongside the weight saving and the tilt screen. However, in my opinion mirrorless does not really work (as in you don't gain the weight savings using converted lenses) unless you use lightweight native lenses. Also, I realised that I missed a DSLR, I found the Sony very frustrating and missed my old Canons.

The plan then was to wait for the 6dii which would obviously show the same leaps forward as the 80d, 1dxii and 5div with on sensor ADC technology. But hopefully be lighter and gain an articulated screen. Well, this wasn't to be so I am chopping in my Sony cameras and Canon lenses to move to Nikon. To be fair the D750 looks an absolute beast of a camera.

I know a lot of people bat on about not switching and I fully get that I am the weak link with my equipment whatever system I use but to be honest I enjoy buying new stuff and I have another reason to want to learn both of the major systems as well as mirrorless. I'm sure I will love the D750 but equally there will be things Canon do better, and I will still miss Canon I have shot them on film and digital for years.

Thanks for the detailed response Craig. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Is the increased dynamic range that apparent pre and post processing?

Without meaning any offence, but are you an amateur?

Thanks for the detailed response Craig. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Is the increased dynamic range that apparent pre and post processing?

Without meaning any offence, but are you an amateur?

No worries, will do.

The increased dynamic range is massive. I actually enjoy bracketing and blending exposures in Photoshop, something I still do in extreme situations but having an extra 3 stops of data allows you to use one file most of the time. It does not always mean you are right to push shadows, but the files are much more malleable if that makes any sense. The exposure slider and shadow/highlight sliders I always think of as elastic bands. You can only stretch them so far before they tighten up under strain, then break. With Canon (5D3/6D) the elastic band was a small one. With Sony sensors the elastic band is larger and stretchier!

None taken, yes I am an amateur. I have sold prints for years, and have ideas for the future that will make my life more photography orientated but I doubt that will make me a pro!

I can't believe how quiet it is in here seeing as this is a new camera...

I would hazard a guess that's because this camera's market is not forum members. Most of us don't see any major advantage of spending £2000 especially if you already own a full frame camera. The latest crop sensor cameras are good enough to satisfy most amateur photographers there is very little advantage in upgrading. (a lot more cost for little extra advantage)

I would hazard a guess that's because this camera's market is not forum members. Most of us don't see any major advantage of spending £2000 especially if you already own a full frame camera. The latest crop sensor cameras are good enough to satisfy most amateur photographers there is very little advantage in upgrading. (a lot more cost for little extra advantage)

Can't agree - forums are full of everyone from beginners with a camera phone to pros with medium format et al and absolutely everything in between, so saying the market of the 6d2 "isn't forum members" makes no real sense?

Maybe since all of these negative posts, anyone with one is scared to post anything through the fear of everyone saying what a rubbish camera it is. (Although clearly it's not a rubbish camera)

I have used the 6D Mk2 and it is TOTALLY rubbish in all respects! Please keep talking it down! It is a complete POS and isn't worth a farthing. No "Proper" photographer would be seen dead with one!

Now, maybe, the price will drop and I can get one or two..................?

Yes. First time out today. Don’t know what happened with the sd card, was set to record raw, but lightroom can’t open the files. Put said card in my 7 markii and it worked fine. Back in the 6 and no joy. Reset to large jpeg and that was ok. Back to raw and hey presto all’s well. So a wasted day in that I can only see the images in camera. DOH. Can’t comment on the camera as yet, other than really pleased with the articulating screen, perfect for low level and my ageing creaky knees

Don’t know what happened with the sd card, was set to record raw, but lightroom can’t open the files. Put said card in my 7 markii and it worked fine. Back in the 6 and no joy. Reset to large jpeg and that was ok.
Do you need to update Lightroom to cope with the 6D II raw files? Although raw files from different cameras have the same file suffix, there are usually little tweaks to the structure which require software vendors like Adobe to issue updates. Have you tried opening the raw files with the DPP software that was supplied with the camera?

Lightroom was ok mate. Like I said, swapped to jpeg then back again and it’s fine now. Weird tho, had me scratching me head for a bit

TBH you probably wouldn't notice any difference to a lot of other cameras with the final image.

Probably so, but would like to hear about the handling experience/processing of the picture taking process too.

Depends on what camera are being compared to and what conditions

True to come degree, but a lot will still be compensated for in PP (noise, DR via layers, colour etc).

Back