Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Although ive got 3 good tripods i never seem to use them. today i got a Joby Gorillapod SLR and its very nice. It fits in my camera bag and seems sturdy enough to use with my 80D and any lens i have. I wasnt going to bother with a tripod fo rmy Florida holiday later this month but now im sorted.

Even though it was quite windy today i managed to get these with it. 80D with 18-135 IS USM Nano.

First one is a 13 sec exposure.

the pink oasis
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

This was only a 4 sec exposure.

Royal Festival Hall

Im starting to find that MFA +11 is bringing some of my cheaper lenses to life. This is just using my eye, im going to try and calibrate them with FoCal at the weekend. I was beginning to doubt the lenses but i have a feeling the camera is a bit more sensitive to whats put on it.

Now that really is weird dave ,I seem to have settled on a + 11 setting on my big sigma sport to ,makes me wonder if it's a camera thing as opposed to a lens thing .will have to try the wife's 400 f5.6 out now to put it to rest .i do get a slight niggle that pushing it one more notch might be even better .but that's for another day

I also think its a camera thing and not my lenses. Ive had MFA set to +5 for every lens for the past few months as i felt something wasn't quite as good as it could be. The same lenses seem to work well on my 650D and that doesn't have MAF, and my 5Dmkiii doesn't need it for the lenses that work on all three cameras.
Saying that, i have no issues using MFA and it does seems o make a difference.

Ok, i ran some lenses through FoCal this afternoon. First off that program is still as buggy as ever. Makes me doubt its as accurate as its supposed to be. I couldn't use Raw as i got errors, it froze on me twice and closed itself down 3 times. All In about an hour.
Saying that, it was a lot easier to use with the 80D than it is my 5Dmkiii. With the 80D its all automatic which is nice. Getting the light right was a nightmare at home. I ended up having to use 3 of my bands spotlights on the chart, and even that wasn't really as much as is recommend. Still, it seemed to work ok. Interestingly enough it too said my 35mm f/2 IS should be sent to +11, so at least i know my eyes are working right.
My 18-135 needed +4 and +6, so pretty much the +5 that i had been using, same goes for my 50 f/1.8 STM. 24-70 f/2.8 Mkii needed none, and I didn't test my 10-18 or 24mm f/2.8 STM as i feel that are sharp enough already with the +5 i had been using.

So all in all and interesting experiment but i have a feeling even these figures are guidelines as each time i did the test i got a slightly different result.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the 80D this week. I asked back at the start of this thread if anyone had compared it to the 1DIV as I've been looking to move onto something newer. I've gone back and forward between the 80D and 1Dx or 5DIV but I have decided that for what I do now I don't want to spend £2000+. I'd rather spend £1000 and put the rest into my house or towards a new car in the future.

80D, grip and spare battery or 2 will probably be bought once I decide where to get it from.

I had thought of that but I mainly shoot wildlife and I can't see the 6DII having a faster frame rate than the 5DIV or 80D (7fps).

Can anyone be of any assistance please. Just in case I'm overlooking something [emoji4]

I tried using my 80D in Live View for the first time today,since owning it.

The battery level is currently showing 89% and is fine when taking shots normally through the viewfinder.

But whenever I tried taking a shot in live view; it automatically prompts the battery icon (top LCD screen) to start flashing empty.
And the only way I can clear this is by switching it off and back on again...

Any help would he much appreciated.

That's not good. What's the better quality like (look in Battery info for the 3 green squares).

This is definitely not normal. If you only have one battery or camera it might be hard to track down the cause.

I only had the one battery on me. But I haven't tried and tested any other methods as yet.

The battery charge quality is on the final red square. But it seems strange that it's okay once I switch it off,and back on again.

I have other batteries to give a try at the weekend,that I use in my 5D3.
If that doesn't help,I'll have to get in contact with WEX photographic; as I've only had it since the end of September; and obviously still in warranty.

Ok, well it sounds like that battery is on its way out. If this is the one that came with the Camera then there is definitely something wrong with it as i have 4 year old batteries that still show all green.

Are you saying that if you switch off and back on again and then turn LV on its fine, or just that its fine until you use LV again? If the latter than that would make sense as using LV and the screen will be drawing a lot of power. With the battery being in such a poor state it could well just be this. Ive had bad batteries that have acted like this as well, although not as fast as yours.

Ok, well it sounds like that battery is on its way out. If this is the one that came with the Camera then there is definitely something wrong with it as i have 4 year old batteries that still show all green.

Are you saying that if you switch off and back on again and then turn LV on its fine, or just that its fine until you use LV again? If the latter than that would make sense as using LV and the screen will be drawing a lot of power. With the battery being in such a poor state it could well just be this. Ive had bad batteries that have acted like this as well, although not as fast as yours.

I have 4 batteries. So it's probably one that I've had for ages.

Yes. Everything works fine; including the Live View; until I fully press the shutter to take the shot.
After that,it all shuts off with the battery icon flashing empty in the top LCD display.
Only way to reset it is to switch the camera off and back on again.

Seems it's just that particular battery not man enough to handle that kind of job now.
I stuck another one alongside it in the grip; and the shutter worked fine with Live View enabled.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Starting to convince myself to upgrade from my 60D

A little Xmas bonus from work plus selling a few bits of musical equipment I am no longer using would do the trick.

Just need to justify it to myself but the reviews I see on here seem to confirm it's a good upgrade for what is not a silly amount of money.

It will be a worthy upgrade. I had a 60D, and loved it at the time. Looking back at those shots and comparing them to my 80D shots i can see a nice difference. The hardware will be the biggest jump though. Things have come a long way since the 60D was released.

On an unrelated note, although ive had my 80D since last April i only just found out it does HDR video last night!!!! Must look at the manual a bit more.

Just ordered an 80d today. I was looking to upgrade from my 5d mkii to the mkiii, but decided to go with an 80d and keep my immaculate 5d mkii. I'm hoping from all the reviews i have read and watched that it will do a good job for when i photograph my sons football matches etc.

Hogsmeade at Universal studios. Quite weird seeing snow when the temp were in the very high 20's.

Hogsmeade

I really enjoyed using my 80D for the whole week, without any FF distraction, but after getting back home i now want a 5Dmkiv. I love the features on the 80D but still find my 5Dmkiii to produce better images. I really want the best of both worlds.Ill probably hang on until the next entry level FF is announced, and the 80D isn't going anywhere whatever i get.

Hogsmeade at Universal studios. Quite weird seeing snow when the temp were in the very high 20's.

Hogsmeade

I really enjoyed using my 80D for the whole week, without any FF distraction, but after getting back home i now want a 5Dmkiv. I love the features on the 80D but still find my 5Dmkiii to produce better images. I really want the best of both worlds.Ill probably hang on until the next entry level FF is announced, and the 80D isn't going anywhere whatever i get.

In what way would you say the 5Dmk3 images are better?

Just a bit clearer at the higher ISO settings really. I'm not saying the 80D is in any way bad or not up to the job, but even with the same lens on both cameras the 5D seems to produce a bit more contrast and sharpness.
I know the 80D has a better dynamic range, but I'm not talking about that aspect of the image.

I guess i should have said 'under certain circumstances' in my post above.

Just a bit clearer at the higher ISO settings really. I'm not saying the 80D is in any way bad or not up to the job, but even with the same lens on both cameras the 5D seems to produce a bit more contrast and sharpness.
I know the 80D has a better dynamic range, but I'm not talking about that aspect of the image.

I guess i should have said 'under certain circumstances' in my post above.

Interesting to know, then again I guess there's a reason why one is double the price of t'other!

Indeed. The 80D is a much better camera though, and of course the dynamic range and shadow detail are better at lower ISO than the 5D, but ultimately, as you say, there si as reason one costs almost 3 times what the other costs.
In fact opening the shadows a lot on the 5Dmkiii isn't a good experience, the 80D does it so much better. The 80D also feels a lot snappier and of course LV is such a pleasure to use I'd be lost without it now.
If i could only have one it would be the 80D, without hesitation, i would miss its features too much, but its nice to have a choice. I can probably get around £850 for my 5Dmkiii so its very tempting to just order a MKiv from HDEW this week, but I'd hate to do that and then find the 6Dmkii (or whatever it is) has a flip screen.

I have seen no hard evidence to prove that, but here's hoping.
I tend to ignore websites like Canon Rumours, they are just there to stir up discussion and don't really have any real info until its widely available on the web.
The current roumoured spec does look good though, but only time will tell.

I thought I'd stick a couple of these here

@ 100 iso wide open with the kit lens at 135mm (f/5.6)

Ivatt 2MT 41312 - Ropley
by Tim White, on Flickr

Again @ f/5.6, but this time at 3200 iso using the kit lens

BR Std 9F - 92212
by Tim White, on Flickr

I still think I prefer the images from my 5d3, though I can't put my finger on exactly why. But the 80d is the one I pick up more often due to the smaller size and weight.

I've seen much less noisy examples at ISO 3200 than the last one of the train? Did you process quite a bit ?
I've added a bit of sharpening, but also, I've recovered 1 stop of light, so I suppose it should really be compared with iso 6400.
I really find the noise so much less intrusive on the 80d when compared to my old 7D1, though the 5d3 does still have it beaten.

Did anyone noticed there was a FW update for the 80D last week? Ive only just seen it and cant remember seeing anyone mention it.
Nothing really exciting so i might not bother with it.

Updated mine yesterday just for the sake of it really, won't get out much with mine till spring.

Same here, all ways worth an upgrade (y)

My 80D arrived yesterday. Technology has definitely moved on. My 5Dii may be in its bag a while.

Is it possible to see the drive, AF selection and metering mode in the view finder when changing them using the buttons next to the small LCD like you can see the ISO? I have read the relevant parts of the manual but cannot see this to be able to change these without moving eye away from vf like I can with the ISO?

Back