Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Looks an amazing bit of kit.

Next question....
Has anyone invested in a screen protector. Lots available. Any particular one better than anything else?

I couldn't get on with a screen protector on the 80D. I used the same supplier / brand as i used for my 6D which went on fine on that and i'm happy with but not so much on the 80D. The top LCD protector is fine but didn't like the main touch screen one.

Thanks again Sharky. I'll try one off amazon, worth £5 to see how it goes.

Sorry, another question.....

I have just got back to having a DSLR and got a 40d a little while back, and now of course have the 80d. I shoot RAW format and went to import my first image to Lightroom 3 and it's not recognised. After a quick search I understand Adobe don't update the software once the next release is out so looks like LR3 is too old for the new kit.

What do you guys use? Is subscribing to the 'creative cloud' worth it?

I did use LR a lot when I was taking lots of shots before but maybe there's a better alternative now. Appreciate any advice.

The camera arrived this evening, hopefully get to have a good look at it tomorrow. Any good recommendations for additional batteries? Local shop do the hahnel LP-E6 equivalent (HLX-E6) for £49 and heaps on Amazon for cheap. Any experiences? Cheers :)
i do have to ask why ,unless your going to use a grip as the new supplied battery N with the 80D has a very long shooting life .

Thanks again Sharky. I'll try one off amazon, worth £5 to see how it goes.

Sorry, another question.....

I have just got back to having a DSLR and got a 40d a little while back, and now of course have the 80d. I shoot RAW format and went to import my first image to Lightroom 3 and it's not recognised. After a quick search I understand Adobe don't update the software once the next release is out so looks like LR3 is too old for the new kit.

What do you guys use? Is subscribing to the 'creative cloud' worth it?

I did use LR a lot when I was taking lots of shots before but maybe there's a better alternative now. Appreciate any advice.
YEP painfull as it my seem the only way forward is lightroom/photoshop by subscription unless you can get your head round DPP

i,m now a believer ,had a dark wood situation on monday evening at 7.45pm a lively wren in dark woods and only my 150-600 sigma f6.3 lens on camera ,upped the iso to 5000iso and this terribly noisy (NOT) shot was the outcome ,wonder just how far it can be pushed in real life circumstances now ,goalposts can be moved it seems
in the dark woods 5000iso by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That's extremely good. I'd be surprised if many could tell that was such high ISO just from viewing the image.

If you go down the LR / PS photography bundle route use the Photoserge link to get the price down to £6.85 / month for the first year:

https://creative.adobe.com/promo/PhotoSergeCCPP?sdid=KTVUT

A possible alternative is the revised product from Corel called Aftershot.

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products/aftershot/pro/

You can try both for free for 30 days so nothing to lose either way.

thanks guys. I've gone with the CC. I got the deal for the first year. :)

I now use a mix of Lightroom / photoshop with imageonic noise plug in ,and nik efex plug ins .works for me and gives me the control I want for what I do

Only just seen your original post.
Bit late now, but there was another option.

The Adobe DNG Converter (free download) at ACR 9.5 should be able to convert the .cr2 files to .dng files that LR3 can read.

Thanks Tim. It was something I looked at. Then I thought It's just the cost of a magazine a month really so jumped in thought I'd take advantage of the updated software. Appreciate your thoughts though.

one from monday night at our local reserve ,on a side note i got a burst of a spoonbill flying past last night ,and i have to admit i'm very impressed with the 80D i had the sigma 150-600mm sport on ,hand held and took a 25 shot burst with every one of them in perfect focus with room to spare for more shots .
heres monday nights ,plenty more from this series on my flickr stream
shades of jurassic park by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Caught this little chap this morning, this is with the 100mm f2.8 L macro lens.

1/400, f10.0, ISO400.
The Fly.jpg

i,m now a believer ,had a dark wood situation on monday evening at 7.45pm a lively wren in dark woods and only my 150-600 sigma f6.3 lens on camera ,upped the iso to 5000iso and this terribly noisy (NOT) shot was the outcome ,wonder just how far it can be pushed in real life circumstances now ,goalposts can be moved it seems
in the dark woods 5000iso by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Not sure why I've not been getting any Emil updates, so I missed a page or two.
This did indeed turn out really well Jeff, and I can see we are going to be doing a lot more low light shooting with the 80D that we would have expected a few years ago with a crop body.

I've not used my 80D for about a week, and yesterday went to Comic Con with my 5Dmkiii. First time I've used it since getting the 80D. Although it was the best camera for the job, as far as inside shots, I feel the 80D would have done almost as well. I was tempted to take it but the wider FOV was going to be welcome in a place like Excel. It felt strange not having a flip out/touch screen.
I think my 5d days are definitely numbered now.

Nice shot Norkie. Macro is still next on my list of things to try, although I'll probably go with extension tubes first.

One from the weekend while getting used to the camera. Great bit of kit. Will take some time to get used to all the options and selecting what works best on location. Thanks for your help so far all.

20160529061.jpg

One thing I have started to notice is that for normal ,spur of the moment shooting ,I.e grabbing a shot or spray and pray very little exposure compensation needs to be applied if anything the camera mainly over exposes by around a third of stop in raw which is a benefit when p.p .there seems to be a built in latitude with the sensor not present in older cameras .even some shots from earlier this week under extremely high contrast situations shooting from a shaded woodland at birds high in the canopy with clear skies behind them have p.p very nicely .
The more I use the 80D the more impressed I get ,even playing last night with some old manual focus Pentax thread lenses in manual mode produced well exposed results ,good really as I was on the verge of selling them

For me it's the other way, i keep +1/3 stop dialled in permanently unless it's more challenging lighting circumstances.
Well here's an odd thing. Dog was playing with a balloon out side the garage, I thought I'd try to capture him bursting it. This is the resulting image!
I turned the camera off, then on again and all was well.

I feel I ought to report this to Canon, how Do I do that?
Over.jpg

Second annoying thing, my 70D file name was IMG_0001.CRT, and for some strange reason Canon have decided to use the same naming convention for the 80D :( IMG_0001.CRT

If I save images to the same folder as my 70D images I need to rename them all :(

Has anybody else found the same?

Well here's an odd thing. Dog was playing with a balloon out side the garage, I thought I'd try to capture him bursting it. This is the resulting image!
I turned the camera off, then on again and all was well.

I feel I ought to report this to Canon, how Do I do that?
View attachment 66111
tbh that looks like the meter just got confused more than anything else. Unless it's happens again / is reproducible i'd say nothing to worry about.

So far mine has been bulletproof this week being away with the kids. Put 4k clicks on it and it's performed exceedingly well and perfect as my crop body :)

Yeah, ok. It was a run of images Sharky, a dozen.

Second annoying thing, my 70D file name was IMG_0001.CRT, and for some strange reason Canon have decided to use the same naming convention for the 80D :( IMG_0001.CRT

If I save images to the same folder as my 70D images I need to rename them all :(

I don't have mine to hand but can't you change the name that the camera uses? I know you can with the 5Dmkiii.

No compensation for the image. The next image was spot on correct with no camera adjustments.

EXIF data, please tell me what you need :whistle:

I don't have mine to hand but can't you change the name that the camera uses? I know you can with the 5Dmkiii.
Not sure Dave, I'll scan the manual ;)

Sorry, false alarm. I just checked and can't see a way of renaming the files. To be honest I always use Downloader Pro or LR to rename my files on import so it's never been an issue.

As far as the Exposrue goes. I still don't trust the 80D 100% as far as metering goes, but it's good enough.

I've had a 450d, 20d, 40d and the 80d and all name my images IMG_####.CR2, I save them in different folders so never been an issue for me. I think you can change how it numbers the file i.e continuous, auto reset or manual reset but not sure the file naming format may be changed.

I have used EOS utility to import before where you can have the file renamed to however you wish. I normally import through Lightroom but have never looked the options in there.

No compensation for the image. The next image was spot on correct with no camera adjustments.

EXIF data, please tell me what you need :whistle:
I imagine just a blip then.

If you don't have Photoshop or similar to extract the data you can use an online tool:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

A exif from a 'good' image vs the posted one would be useful.

Hi Sharky, EXIF data.
Bad image:
Bad.jpg
Good image few moments later:
Good.jpg

Hi Sharky, EXIF data.
Bad image:
View attachment 66126
Good image few moments later:
View attachment 66127
Odd results given what you've described. Over 2 stops over exposed with the doubling of the iso and reduction of the shutter speed between images. Keep an eye on things and report back here any issues. Checked last night and i'm just approaching 6k images from mine and (touches wood) no problems so far.

i do find that the 80D does have a slight tendency to over expose i.e or expose to the right ,this is not a bad thing as it helps with P/P ,it also helps i have found with birds in flight as coupled with the latitude of the sensor anyway very little if any positive compensation has to be dialled in to get b.i.f spot on ,with the 1D3 i sometimes had to go to nearly 2 full stops to get it right .
i have also been playing around with some old pentax m42 screw thread lenses this week plus adaptor ,and using the camera in manual mode has proved easy and extremely accurate . to anyone that has gone through the canon/nikon then back to canon scenario will find like myself that this sensor performs very very much like a nikon sensor where sometimes minus a third resulted in far better more contrasty images .
i suppose a lot depends on whether you shoot in j.peg or RAW and also on how advanced your p.p skills are .lets make no bones about it this is really a advanced camera just marginally below pro level and needs treating as such
anyway back to pics heres one from this week
window to my world by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Excellent pair ;)

Which 3rd party batteries are people successfully using with their 80Ds?

@b_1_rd I see you bought some Ex Pro batteries, would be interested to know how are these performing for you if you don't mind?

So far, very good. As good as the original but have only cycled them both once so can't really give a long term verdict but both have lasted very well. The longest shoot I've done is a day at a car race where it handled over 1100 shots and still had at least a 1/3 of power left.

I went for this which is the same rating as the original battery at 1850 mAh http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-c...-series-replacement-battery-7.4v-1850mah.html

Back