Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I really don't understand these companies sometimes (Canon) ... why not wait until they have a decent stock and then supply everyone ... the way they do it just breeds hostility.
Exactly. I mean I don’t know home much is true what they were telling me, but they reckon none in the uk was getting more than 10 units on first shipment. And that apparently next month it will be even out with those who only got a few will get more and the ones that got more first shipment will get less next.

Well I just had an email to say I have approx 60 people in the queue before me. :LOL:

Reading some disturbing report that it doesn't play well with the 100-400mm MKII at the long end, I would be very suprised if true but it would mean I cancel my preorder if it is.

If anyone is musing over buying an RF 100-400mm lens, this is a free plug to say mine is in the classifieds ;)

I really don't understand these companies sometimes (Canon) ... why not wait until they have a decent stock and then supply everyone ... the way they do it just breeds hostility.

I expect it is part PR/marketing stunt to gauge demand but this year the shortage of semiconductors is seriously impacting several industries. Perhaps they should have waited until their supply chain improved but this does not seem to be the way things are done.

Last edited:
If anyone is musing over buying an RF 100-400mm lens, this is a free plug to say mine is in the classifieds ;)
I will be getting that lens shortly but debating holding off till I get the camera. Plus with the cash back on it now and discount through my work means I can get it new for £545 after cash back.

I will be getting that lens shortly but debating holding off till I get the camera. Plus with the cash back on it now and discount through my work means I can get it new for £545 after cash back.
That's a bumper deal for new (y)

Screen shot taken from a Facebook post but someone else so can’t take no credit. Might not look great here as I said it a green shut of a post. But to me the r7 seems to have handle the noise really well at 10k !!!
3706C072-581D-4436-A167-B95ED7DAAC7D.png

Screen shot taken from a Facebook post but someone else so can’t take no credit. Might not look great here as I said it a green shut of a post. But to me the r7 seems to have handle the noise really well at 10k !!!
View attachment 358429

Attachments

• 43795EF7-D174-4DD6-860B-CDDD0C035F9F.jpeg
    43795EF7-D174-4DD6-860B-CDDD0C035F9F.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 358429
Looks pretty good. I’ve found in the past you can really push up ISO if the light is good. The real test of high ISO is a fast lens wide open with low shutter speeds ie low light conditions. What were the shutter and aperture settings asi can’t make them out.

Looks pretty good. I’ve found in the past you can really push up ISO if the light is good. The real test of high ISO is a fast lens wide open with low shutter speeds ie low light conditions. What were the shutter and aperture settings asi can’t make them out.
F3.1 1/200 if I’m reading right.

Attachments

• 216E4654-CE64-4848-AD2D-4AC1EDE3FB22.png
    216E4654-CE64-4848-AD2D-4AC1EDE3FB22.png
    430 KB · Views: 12
The aperture could be f5.6 (top value). The lens says 18-150 f3.5-6.3 so unlikely to be f3.1. The exposure values are all over the place. I’ve never seen exif that’s set out like that before.

If that’s f5.6 1/200 ISO10,000 that’s quite impressive.
F7.1

I have ordered my R7 to replace my trusty 7Dii and the main reason for me is the eye / object detect is such a leap forward in technology. One can not keep up with keeper rate compared to DSLR and mirrorless with eye/object detect.

I went to Bushy Park this with my 7Dii & 70-300L IS USM lens and my Sony A6600 mounted on Sigma 150-600 Contemporary.
The main thing I noticed was the keeper rate was apx 9 out 10 for the Sony and the 7Dii was 6-7 of of 10 and that was a good day. As the deer were not moving very much the aim for the eye with AF point/s on 7Dii was relative easy.
However when I try to get swans landing and taking off the keeper rate dropped to 4 of 10 apx.
The Sony A6600 struggled with slow autofocus because I was using adaptive canon fit glass on a Sony body and properly I was in the wrong AF mode, however I was still impressed with results !

I have ordered my R7 to replace my trusty 7Dii and the main reason for me is the eye / object detect is such a leap forward in technology. One can not keep up with keeper rate compared to DSLR and mirrorless with eye/object detect.

I went to Bushy Park this with my 7Dii & 70-300L IS USM lens and my Sony A6600 mounted on Sigma 150-600 Contemporary.
The main thing I noticed was the keeper rate was apx 9 out 10 for the Sony and the 7Dii was 6-7 of of 10 and that was a good day. As the deer were not moving very much the aim for the eye with AF point/s on 7Dii was relative easy.
However when I try to get swans landing and taking off the keeper rate dropped to 4 of 10 apx.
The Sony A6600 struggled with slow autofocus because I was using adaptive canon fit glass on a Sony body and properly I was in the wrong AF mode, however I was still impressed with results !
I have moved over to a mirrorless camera and the leap in technology is huge. The Canon eye detection and AF is brilliant and the R7 compared to the 7Dii will be a big leap, once set up the way you like it, it will definitely give you more keeper shots. I mainly shoot sports and it allows me to be more creative with panning shots getting the face/eye start but the rest in blur. I am so glad I broke the bank and upgraded.
I'm sure you'll be pleased too

I have moved over to a mirrorless camera and the leap in technology is huge. The Canon eye detection and AF is brilliant and the R7 compared to the 7Dii will be a big leap, once set up the way you like it, it will definitely give you more keeper shots. I mainly shoot sports and it allows me to be more creative with panning shots getting the face/eye start but the rest in blur. I am so glad I broke the bank and upgraded.
I'm sure you'll be pleased too

Your comment gives me some comfort in spending hard earn money on the R7. I will be taking advantage of the EF to RF adapter as the RF glass is way to expensive at the moment !

A friend of mine has the R5 and the eye detect is very sticky on the eye to the point I might as well put my 7Dii back in its camera bag !

When I am shooting with my sigma 150-600 contemporary at full 600 on Big Cat at distance while it is moving. I just have to use high burst rate, as there is no way I can hold the 150-600 lens still enough to keep the AF point on the Big Cats eye !
Then my friend uses his R5 and almost every shot is a keeper, so I gave him a dead leg ! ! ! lol

Crikey, that was quick, I'd heard it would end in September.

I'd better still get mine.

The Adapter finished yesterday, though I managed top get a deal which included said adapter !
If I could have the adapter I would not have placed an order for the R7 as it is worth £200 !

The Adapter finished yesterday, though I managed top get a deal which included said adapter !
If I could have the adapter I would not have placed an order for the R7 as it is worth £200 !

Yes, I pre ordered mine a few weeks ago, so should be ok. I might not have been so hasty if it weren't for the offer. I'd eventually have gotten an R7 but would've waited on reviews etc. The free adapter was too good to miss though.

Have to say since going with RF only lenses I’d now really miss the control ring functionality. I’ve set it up as exposure compensation as there isn’t a dedicated button for that on canon. I know others use it to control aperture.

I was recommended the control adapter version on here so picked one up in the classifieds when I was thinking of getting a 300mm f2.8 but eventually decided to go with the RF 100-500 instead. I will have to put that up again in the classifieds as it’s just sitting in its box unused.

Your comment gives me some comfort in spending hard earn money on the R7. I will be taking advantage of the EF to RF adapter as the RF glass is way to expensive at the moment !

A friend of mine has the R5 and the eye detect is very sticky on the eye to the point I might as well put my 7Dii back in its camera bag !
The EF adapter works just fine with my 24-105mm f/4 and 300mm f/2.8 lenses and like you I can't currently afford the RF glass and my DSLR has now been reduced to the very occasional use or as an emergency back up body.

Have to say since going with RF only lenses I’d now really miss the control ring functionality. I’ve set it up as exposure compensation as there isn’t a dedicated button for that on canon. I know others use it to control aperture.

I was recommended the control adapter version on here so picked one up in the classifieds when I was thinking of getting a 300mm f2.8 but eventually decided to go with the RF 100-500 instead. I will have to put that up again in the classifieds as it’s just sitting in its box unused.

I must be one of the few people who never use the control ring nowadays.

Think the only reason I used it on my R was due to not being able to assign a main button (that I could see anyway) for ISO.

Now that’s available on the R5 I don’t even have it enabled.

Think the only reason I used it on my R was due to not being able to assign a main button (that I could see anyway) for ISO.

That’s the great thing about mirrorless is that it’s so much more customisable compared to DSLRs. The way I use the camera for wildlife with auto ISO enabled I like to have dial controls for aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. I could probably have EC on the rear turning dial but I’d likely knock it all the time so the control ring is a good place that won’t get knocked around.

The R6 has changed the way I use a camera. I was never a fan of back button focusing for wildlife. Now I have the AF-on set for focusing and the button next to it for eye AF. Eye AF is great but it doesn’t work for every animal I photograph. I find it’s a quick and easy way to change between the two and I don’t need to reprogram the camera every time I go do some landscapes.

Last edited:
i was one of the lucky ones

got my order in within an hour of the announcement

a huge thank you to those guys at LCE Manchester for their service and communication

i took the camera up to Fouwsheugh on Saturday morning and took a few shots with the R7 and the R5 using the same settings (iso 100 and 3200)

as there seems to be interest here I’m happy to post up links to the RAW files

amd I have no wish to upset anyone but the AF is amazing - streets ahead of the R 5

i can only imagine how the R3 must be

anyway if anyone asks I’ll post a few RAW files here tomorrow

don’t cancel your orders guys

Dave

I’m exactly the same. I needed that ring on the R, but never use it on the R5.

The R7 is not for me then. Strange decision by Canon no doubt driven by an interpretation of their bottom line. Hey ho.

The R7 is not for me then. Strange decision by Canon no doubt driven by an interpretation of their bottom line. Hey ho.
Possibly based on how many grips Canon have sold for the 7DII and maybe 90d seeing as the R7 is cited as being a more direct replacement for the latter. They also no doubt want to push people towards their more expensive models. I can’t justify the spend on a new camera, so don’t have a dog in this fight either way right now.

I still wonder if the R7/R10 are an experiment from Canon to gauge interest in a "proper" crop body.

If they sell bucketloads (which personally I think they will) then sometime next year they will bring out an all singing all dancing crop body with twin CFexpress cards, bigger buffer, more controls, top screen, grip (etc etc) for about £2.5k. Especially if Nikon and Sony respond to the R7.

Personally I wouldn't mind as I have a feeling I will probably still be waiting for the R7 then anyway :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I still wonder if the R7/R10 are an experiment from Canon to gauge interest in a "proper" crop body.

If they sell bucketloads (which personally I think they will) then sometime next year they will bring out an all singing all dancing crop body with twin CFexpress cards, bigger buffer, more controls, top screen, grip (etc etc) for about £2.5k. Especially if Nikon and Sony respond to the R7.

Personally I wouldn't mind as I have a feeling I will probably still be waiting for the R7 then anyway :rolleyes:

I think you are right, this is an experimental models as canon do not make big leaps in tech on new camera releases. So I suspect R7 Mkii ( if it sells well ) will get the additional features. Also canon do not want people buying the R7 when they should buy R6 or R5 and possibly an R3. There is also the opportunity that R7 owners may be tempted to glass like RF 70-200, 100-500 etc which are bloody expensive ! !

The R7 & R10 have just enough features at a very cheap price to encourage DSLR users to buy in to mirrorless, and that is what I believe canon marketing are up to !

i was one of the lucky ones

got my order in within an hour of the announcement

a huge thank you to those guys at LCE Manchester for their service and communication

i took the camera up to Fouwsheugh on Saturday morning and took a few shots with the R7 and the R5 using the same settings (iso 100 and 3200)

as there seems to be interest here I’m happy to post up links to the RAW files

amd I have no wish to upset anyone but the AF is amazing - streets ahead of the R 5

i can only imagine how the R3 must be

anyway if anyone asks I’ll post a few RAW files here tomorrow

don’t cancel your orders guys

Dave

The R7 AF is the main reason why I am buying as my 7Dii is now so far behind in IQ & AF my keeper rate is 4 out 10 !

I was looking through so old photos on my Hard Drive and notice just how many were soft where I have missing eye focus to the point were I was wondering if I should just give up !

So I phoned my friend who has a R5 and he confirmed his keeper rate is 9 of 10 and just how easy it is to get eye focus on animals ! !

I also own Sony A6600 with Eye Af which is mated to my Canon EF Glass via Sigma MC-11 adapter and again keeper rate is 9 of 10
. Now I want to go back to every location and photo shoot with the A6600 and my canon L glass !

That’s the great thing about mirrorless is that it’s so much more customisable compared to DSLRs. The way I use the camera for wildlife with auto ISO enabled I like to have dial controls for aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. I could probably have EC on the rear turning dial but I’d likely knock it all the time so the control ring is a good place that won’t get knocked around.

The R6 has changed the way I use a camera. I was never a fan of back button focusing for wildlife. Now I have the AF-on set for focusing and the button next to it for eye AF. Eye AF is great but it doesn’t work for every animal I photograph. I find it’s a quick and easy way to change between the two and I don’t need to reprogram the camera every time I go do some landscapes.

If the button lay out is the same for the R7 I might considering doing the same cutom set up as you, as there will be times eye Af will not work.

On my Sony A6600 I use Flexible Point Expanded for everything non animal and human, however when using this if the object does have face the eye AF kicks in and locks focus within that flexible spot area. So if the subject moves quick from AF point to say the edge of the EVF the Eye Af is lost !

Back