Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Recorded a few videos on my R5 today. I am in no way an expert and have never really used video before other slicing a few tribute videos together on windows movie maker (when it existed).

I recored a video with the camera upside down and I used high frame rate mode and as a result my videos are upside down (surprise surprise, thought there may be something that recognised this and corrected automatically though...) and in VLC a 5 minute or so video plays at a length of 20 minutes, i presume because i sellected high frame rate mode, cant think of any other reason why....

so can anyone advice some free software to edit the video - slice and dice, re-orientate and sort the play back speed out so I can set it to what I want.

edit: looking at the exif data it still seems to only be 25 fps though... so not sure what that high frame rate mode is...

Windows Video Editor is free video editing software that comes built-in on PCs with Windows 10 or later.

If the video you recorded is 5 mins in real time but 20mins in playback speed, it looks like you have either recorded on 120fps or 240fps. One question tho, did the video contain sound?

I have hardly used my R7 due to the size of it and lack of a grip. I just can't get on with it when I have a big lens attached (95% of the time). Anyway, I found a 3D print someone had done (one of 3 different models) and downloaded it. I then found a company online that does 3D printing and loaded it into their online pricing to see what it would cost me.

So here it is, it's a bit rough around the edges but a bit of sanding should sort that out and it cost me the grand sum of £22 delivered to my door (ordered Friday, came just a few hours ago). The tripod screw didn't come with it and it took me ages to find something long enough (but not too long). Can even change the battery with it on.

View attachment 378073View attachment 378074
How are you going to attach tripod plates to that, if presumably the screw was just barely long enough would it be even half stable?

I absolutely agree something must be done about the ridiculous grip height and canon better start listening.

I have hardly used my R7 due to the size of it and lack of a grip. I just can't get on with it when I have a big lens attached (95% of the time). Anyway, I found a 3D print someone had done (one of 3 different models) and downloaded it. I then found a company online that does 3D printing and loaded it into their online pricing to see what it would cost me.

So here it is, it's a bit rough around the edges but a bit of sanding should sort that out and it cost me the grand sum of £22 delivered to my door (ordered Friday, came just a few hours ago). The tripod screw didn't come with it and it took me ages to find something long enough (but not too long). Can even change the battery with it on.

View attachment 378073View attachment 378074
p.s. From memory you can specify all sorts of filament density on 3d printers. This is likely a default setting. You can get a lot more dense and hence durable than that.

How are you going to attach tripod plates to that, if presumably the screw was just barely long enough would it be even half stable?

I won't I never use a tripod. plate.

p.s. From memory you can specify all sorts of filament density on 3d printers. This is likely a default setting. You can get a lot more dense and hence durable than that.

I had it printed at 40% density but yeas I could have gone more (although I doubt it would have made it feel any more solid)

I absolutely agree something must be done about the ridiculous grip height and canon better start listening.
If you're using a tripod then a grip becomes less of an issue I would have thought.
It is unusual that there isnt a grip accessory in the catalogue as most manufacturers generally want to squeeze every last penny from the consumer. Unless sales of the OEM grips for other cameras weren't sufficient to justify changing the design of the R7 to accommodate one and Canon needed to hit a price point or release date ??

If you're using a tripod then a grip becomes less of an issue I would have thought
I would imagine many users like myself would have a hybrid use including handheld, tripod, and video gimbal. That's what they are marketed as

Next question

How would a (used) Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM along with a 2x extender or a 1.4x extender perform (hypothetically) on an R10 body, and would the extender work with the RF adapter?

Paul.
I believe it’d be fine.

Yes Rob, which isnt perfect, but on a cropped sensor is significantly better distance.
The extenders are available on the Canon Test Drive. You could borrow one from there and test it out for yourself before dropping £500 on a teleconverter that’s nearly the same price as the 100-400 lens.

With the limited number of lenses can be use the teleconverters on I personally don’t see as much of a market for them now especially with their increased price. They don’t fit the RF 70-200 lenses. They do fit slower lenses like the 100-400 and 100-500 but aperture becomes limiting in most light. They’d work best on the £10-20k 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 RF lenses.

Next question

How would a (used) Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM along with a 2x extender or a 1.4x extender perform (hypothetically) on an R10 body, and would the extender work with the RF adapter?

Paul.

If you are talking about the 100-400mm MK I then personally I wouldn't bother, the MK II is a different matter and it works fine on my R7 (and little M5) with the MK III teleconverters and adapter (although the 2x needs spectacular light to make it worthwhile)

(although the 2x needs spectacular light to make it worthwhile)
800mm f11 sound difficult! I wonder how the users of such RF prime get on with it in our dark and gloomy environment

800mm f11 sound difficult! I wonder how the users of such RF prime get on with it in our dark and gloomy environment
Presumably the gain/brightness of the EVF gets boosted to compensate for the lack of inherent brightness from the lens at f/11?

Presumably the gain/brightness of the EVF gets boosted to compensate for the lack of inherent brightness from the lens at f/11?
More like if you ever get to take a handheld shot below ISO6400?

If you are talking about the 100-400mm MK I then personally I wouldn't bother, the MK II is a different matter and it works fine on my R7 (and little M5) with the MK III teleconverters and adapter (although the 2x needs spectacular light to make it worthwhile)

The 100-400L mki IQ is a little soft IMO, however the 100-400L Mkii is a wonderful lens, very sharp !

Has any one got an L bracket for the R7, as the only one I can find that will roughly fit is the 2 legged thing, which is pretty expensive !
My previous L brackets for my 7Dii and Sony A6600 have been Pig Iron and SmallRig !

NISI make an L bracket but the R7 isn't listed, link below

might be worth a look?

NISI make an L bracket but the R7 isn't listed, link below

might be worth a look?
What is the point of this when it doesn't even cover the grip area and only somewhat interferes with the screen

Has any one got an L bracket for the R7, as the only one I can find that will roughly fit is the 2 legged thing, which is pretty expensive !
My previous L brackets for my 7Dii and Sony A6600 have been Pig Iron and SmallRig !
I have got a 3 legged thing Ellie small, which I bought s/hand (I wouldn't have paid full retail for it). It does work but not without issues. It's reasonably well made but I've found I have to extend the upright arm away from the camera to enable the flip out screen more rotation. This still doesnt give full rotation in landscape mode but fine for portrait orientation. If you keep the upright close to the camera the screen won't extend very far away from the body and you're looking at at it almost at right angles to where your lens is pointing !! The other thing I've discovered is I can't fit my Peak Design clip to it - you need to buy the specific L bracket for this to work....unless anyone on here knows different

I understand there may be brackets from Sunwayfoto and a Chinese brand Haoge (HG-R7) but I'm guessing there will be similar issues regarding these brackets as well...if you can obtain one in the UK. To the best of my knowledge only Promedia Photo have solved this issue by pushing the upright arm of the bracket forwards of the rear of the camera. They seem to be a well regarded brand in the USA but the cost is a bit on the steep side for the UK

Hope this helps

I have got a 3 legged thing Ellie small, which I bought s/hand (I wouldn't have paid full retail for it). It does work but not without issues. It's reasonably well made but I've found I have to extend the upright arm away from the camera to enable the flip out screen more rotation. This still doesnt give full rotation in landscape mode but fine for portrait orientation. If you keep the upright close to the camera the screen won't extend very far away from the body and you're looking at at it almost at right angles to where your lens is pointing !! The other thing I've discovered is I can't fit my Peak Design clip to it - you need to buy the specific L bracket for this to work....unless anyone on here knows different

I understand there may be brackets from Sunwayfoto and a Chinese brand Haoge (HG-R7) but I'm guessing there will be similar issues regarding these brackets as well...if you can obtain one in the UK. To the best of my knowledge only Promedia Photo have solved this issue by pushing the upright arm of the bracket forwards of the rear of the camera. They seem to be a well regarded brand in the USA but the cost is a bit on the steep side for the UK

Hope this helps
many thanks for the info, I will check out the co's

Evening all. Not sure if this should be in here or in the lighting forum.

My sister as got my nephew the r7 for his birthday. Just getting into photography. Will be doing it at college from September.
Anyways. She wants to get him a flashgun for now but can’t decide between the 2 following. Hope someone maybe able to offer some advice.
So it’s the godox v860 iii or the godox v1c.

Evening all. Not sure if this should be in here or in the lighting forum.

My sister as got my nephew the r7 for his birthday. Just getting into photography. Will be doing it at college from September.
Anyways. She wants to get him a flashgun for now but can’t decide between the 2 following. Hope someone maybe able to offer some advice.
So it’s the godox v860 iii or the godox v1c.
I've got a v1c it plays nicely with my R3

If I’m honest, from a lighting perspective; the ‘round’ head is a bit of a gimmick. A speedlight head is too small for the shape to make a significant difference to the behaviour* of light produced.

*except maybe at macro distances, or the bowl diffuser if you stick the speedlight in a softbox, but that’s still not radically different to a stofen on a rectangular head.

Just had email notification of dispatch of my RF 135mm for delivery tomorrow.

Just hope I like it as much as my old EF version…:)

Good to hear, I think you'll be impressed :)

Thanks, I’m sure I will.

Probably a strange thing to say. But I’m kind of expecting it to be like my RF 85mm 1.2; in that I actually preferred the ‘look’ and rendering my old 85L ii gave in comparison.

I’ve replaced both more for a bit of future proofing, (and losing the adapter) rather than upgrade in IQ. As this edge to edge ‘clinical’ sharpness many seek nowadays (which is fine) has never been top of my list… :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I’m sure I will.

Probably a strange thing to say. But I’m kind of expecting it to be like my RF 85mm 1.2; in that I actually preferred the ‘look’ and rendering my old 85L ii gave in comparison.

I’ve replaced both more for a bit of future proofing, (and losing the adapter) rather than upgrade in IQ. As this edge to edge ‘clinical’ sharpness many seek nowadays (which is fine) has never been top of my list… :)
I don't shoot on both FL so couldn't really comment on the rendering. But the AF is blistering fast tho :D so that's a gain ;)

I don't shoot on both FL so couldn't really comment on the rendering. But the AF is blistering fast tho :D so that's a gain ;)
Yeah, that’s definitely one of the welcome upgrades the new 85 has over the older one :)
Must admit the 135 f2 is no slouch in focusing speed though.

Occasional CA aside on both lenses. I’d still recommend both in a flash, bang for buck.

An RFS version of the EFS 17-55 2.8?
I have canon EF fit sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 dc for my 7Dii and which is now mounted on my R7 via ER-EF adapter. I also own a Sony A6600 with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and it is a very light, sharp lens and this is the lens I would like for RF mount for APSC.

The canon efs 17-55 IMO is an OK lens, though I would rate both my Sigmas above the canon efs 17-55

I have canon EF fit sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 dc for my 7Dii and which is now mounted on my R7 via ER-EF adapter. I also own a Sony A6600 with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and it is a very light, sharp lens and this is the lens I would like for RF mount for APSC.

The canon efs 17-55 IMO is an OK lens, though I would rate both my Sigmas above the canon efs 17-55
I had the older Sigma before I bought the Canon ef-s, it’s the only lens I ever sent back.
I’ve only ever owned 2 lenses I was disappointed with, that one and the 17-40L
But if the mirrorless version is better, that’d be an answer.

Back