Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Return it and re-order from Panamoz, something clearly very wrong here, the charger would have been a red flag for me, Panamoz is the way to go.
Well, I bought this from HDEW - not my first purchase from them and it is the first time I have ever had a problem. If I buy from HDEW, I can register my kit with CPS - or have done in the past. SO, It isn't a company without a good track record. I wouldn't put that much money into an internet company I had never heard of.

Well, I bought this from HDEW - not my first purchase from them and it is the first time I have ever had a problem. If I buy from HDEW, I can register my kit with CPS - or have done in the past. SO, It isn't a company without a good track record. I wouldn't put that much money into an internet company I had never heard of.
I've bought from them several times and had to have a warranty repair once. They were always fine to deal with.

Just a side note, all the kit I purchased from E-Infinity and Panamoz all got registered with CPS and counted towards my platinum membership.
I even checked with Canon and they said they can still count for CPS you just don't get the warranty.

I bought some gear from HDEW a few years back and they were a pleasure to deal with, the only thing I would say is that I got a warranty card for a repair guy in Glasgow whereas with Panamoz you could send it to Canon and they pay as soon as you email them the repair quote. Personally I feel more comfortable knowing I can use the manufacturer for warranty repairs.

I could really do with some decent weather and an interesting subject to try this R5 properly, every time I try it starts raining.

On the plus side, the 400mm f/5.6 L works well on the camera, i bought the lens purely for airshows because the new bodies have IS so it makes the lens a bit of a steal used.

BB7A1819_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

BB7A1756_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

I never thought the IS did anything on the 400f5.6 when i tried it for a few months on my R6, i tested it a lot, others have noted the same.

Nothing like the IS on the RF800 RF600 ive had.

I could really do with some decent weather and an interesting subject to try this R5 properly, every time I try it starts raining.

On the plus side, the 400mm f/5.6 L works well on the camera, i bought the lens purely for airshows because the new bodies have IS so it makes the lens a bit of a steal used.

620A0636 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

Last edited:
I bought some gear from HDEW a few years back and they were a pleasure to deal with, the only thing I would say is that I got a warranty card for a repair guy in Glasgow whereas with Panamoz you could send it to Canon and they pay as soon as you email them the repair quote. Personally I feel more comfortable knowing I can use the manufacturer for warranty repairs.
Well, fortunately, they are not asking me to have it repaired. I don't think working for 1 second qualifies as a fit for purpose;! :D Gotta laugh...

This has to stop... Spotted Panamoz had the Rf 100-500mm back in stock and had reduced their price a little, so I pounced. That's it no more lenses... Wheres that GAS confessional thread :)

This has to stop... Spotted Panamoz had the Rf 100-500mm back in stock and had reduced their price a little, so I pounced. That's it no more lenses... Wheres that GAS confessional thread :)

Think you’ve got problems.

I’ve been trying to persuade myself for the last month to use my store credit at WEX to simply ‘replace’ one of my current lenses with an RF version.

End up getting the 200mm...

Think you’ve got problems.

I’ve been trying to persuade myself for the last month to use my store credit at WEX to simply ‘replace’ one of my current lenses with an RF version.

End up getting the 200mm...
Im enjoying the R5 so much its rude not to expand my kit!. My excuse is when lockdown ends it will keep me busy out of the house...

Im enjoying the R5 so much its rude not to expand my kit!. My excuse is when lockdown ends it will keep me busy out of the house...

Yep. My sentiments exactly.

I told myself that I’ve done nothing but work, sit at home, and do elderly family shopping for the last 12 months.

So I’m treating myself! :)

Lovely photos. You're having a better time with the Sigma than I had!

I think there is quite a sample variation with the big Sigma lenses, I have had a few and they have ranged from mediocre to excellent. Just a shame it's such a bloody great big lens as I always shoot hand held because I just don't get on with tripods.

BB7A2334_Jpg-1 by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

BB7A2584_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

BB7A2093_Jpg-1 by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

BB7A2372_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

One with the 16-35mm f/4

BB7A1915_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

I thought I’d ask if anyone done the Canon 48hr test drive?

I’d like to try out the canon R6 and 70-200 f4 as the compact size of the 70-200 f4 looks like it’s exactly what I’m looking for. The other lens I’d be thinking of is the 24-105 f4.
currently I’m with Sony but the compact size of the 70-200 f4 is quite enticing.

Yes I currently have the R5 along with the adapter and a 100-400mm MKII on loan from them, going back tomorrow.
I’m guessing it’s quite an easy process and a bit like hiring. Do you have to organise return postage? Do you get 2 full days ie arrives at some point on day 1 and picked up/sent back on day 4 giving 2 days to try it out?

I ordered mine for Friday delivery and it goes back Monday, they pay the postage both ways. This is the second time I have done it and both times they have phoned me and asked if they can send it a day early so I got an extra day.
My experience is exactly the same - used them twice for a free weekend's hire and got a call to check I was ok to receive them a day early (Thursday), and then pick-up the following Monday, all by pre-paid courier. They do take a sizeable deposit on credit card which they then return a couple of days later after checking everything back in. It all worked very smoothly both times for me.

Hello :) Very long time member (slightly embarrassing username from my youth), short time poster. I have had a Canon 40d that I bought used on here about 12-13 years ago but have been thinking about upgrading for a while now and came very close a year and a half ago when I was in Japan and playing with the Canon 80d and 90d in a BiC Camera store. Just shooting with them in the store I was blown away by the autofocus and the colours they produced only after a very short play. However, I held off because I felt my way forward would actually be mirrorless and full-frame and Canon were somewhat behind the curve then.

I have largely used my camera for travel and the odd bit of sports, but now times are changing and I would love to get into photographing our new pup and future members of my family. I have generally found my 40d to be a struggle for anything hand held in anything but good light (my fastest lens is a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 without IS!). I feel like things have moved on considerably and am seriously considering an EoS R6 which is why I'm posting here.

Do you think I am right in thinking I would be blown away by the low light performance of the R6 against my current setup? Even paired with the slightly "slower" 24-105 F4L I think the IBIS, IS and much improved sensor would offer so much more in lower light?

For now I would be looking at only getting the 24-105 and maybe the nifty 50 but I also have an EF 70-300mm IS USM (first version). Would this work OK with the R adapter? Obviously it's not a combo many people use and I might one day be tempted by a 100-500L or maybe Canon release some RF non-L telephoto lenses. I'm hoping being able to reuse my existing 70-300 is a relatively effective stopgap.

The posts above about the Canon Test Drive have really got me seriously thinking about exploring this avenue.

I ordered mine for Friday delivery and it goes back Monday, they pay the postage both ways. This is the second time I have done it and both times they have phoned me and asked if they can send it a day early so I got an extra day.
That happened with me, and extra day as they wanted it arriving a day early too!

Hello :) Very long time member (slightly embarrassing username from my youth), short time poster. I have had a Canon 40d that I bought used on here about 12-13 years ago but have been thinking about upgrading for a while now and came very close a year and a half ago when I was in Japan and playing with the Canon 80d and 90d in a BiC Camera store. Just shooting with them in the store I was blown away by the autofocus and the colours they produced only after a very short play. However, I held off because I felt my way forward would actually be mirrorless and full-frame and Canon were somewhat behind the curve then.

I have largely used my camera for travel and the odd bit of sports, but now times are changing and I would love to get into photographing our new pup and future members of my family. I have generally found my 40d to be a struggle for anything hand held in anything but good light (my fastest lens is a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 without IS!). I feel like things have moved on considerably and am seriously considering an EoS R6 which is why I'm posting here.

Do you think I am right in thinking I would be blown away by the low light performance of the R6 against my current setup? Even paired with the slightly "slower" 24-105 F4L I think the IBIS, IS and much improved sensor would offer so much more in lower light?

For now I would be looking at only getting the 24-105 and maybe the nifty 50 but I also have an EF 70-300mm IS USM (first version). Would this work OK with the R adapter? Obviously it's not a combo many people use and I might one day be tempted by a 100-500L or maybe Canon release some RF non-L telephoto lenses. I'm hoping being able to reuse my existing 70-300 is a relatively effective stopgap.

The posts above about the Canon Test Drive have really got me seriously thinking about exploring this avenue.

Canon have already released non L 600mm and 800mm lenses.

I think you would definitely be blown away by an R6, but trying one yourself will be the acid test.

I have no idea how well your 70-300 would work. All of my L lenses have been fine on my R5. I only have the 50mm non L and confess I haven’t tried that yet.

By the way, I believe you can ask the Mods to change your username. [emoji4]

Something tells me I did not do my research well enough.
A few of the features (not all) drew me to the R system.

My 1dx3 was heavy to lug around with an EF 85mm 1.2 on the front (Circa 2465g)

After handling a lightweight R5 I decided to pull the trigger and bought one with an RF 85 1.2.
I quickly discovered the combo was front heavy and bought the battery grip and spare battery, "voila" handles great.

After half a day shooting, a sore arm and a stiff neck I decided to tot up the total mass.
Circa 2525g, about 60g heavier than the EF set up.

I went backwards. :thinking:

I have to admit while I thought the R5 was a fantastic camera I wasn't totally blown away by it and I still have a hankering to try a Sony, mainly because of the 200-600mm. I know I didn't have the Canon set up 100% correctly for my style of shooting because of time restraints but I found the animal eye focus to be quite hit and miss, more hit than a 7D MKII or 5D MKIV for sure but still not what I was expecting considering all the hype and the cost.

Also, if I'm honest I took nothing that I couldn't get with my 7D II or Pentax K-1 and I would be buying purely because I want some new gear, what I really need (want) is a mirorless 7D MKII that can take that Sony 200-600mm as although the 100-500mm looks great IMO it's too expensive, too short and too slow.

Maybe I will take another when the airshows start up again, whenever that maybe.

I have to admit while I thought the R5 was a fantastic camera I wasn't totally blown away by it and I still have a hankering to try a Sony, mainly because of the 200-600mm. I know I didn't have the Canon set up 100% correctly for my style of shooting because of time restraints but I found the animal eye focus to be quite hit and miss, more hit than a 7D MKII or 5D MKIV for sure but still not what I was expecting considering all the hype and the cost.

Also, if I'm honest I took nothing that I couldn't get with my 7D II or Pentax K-1 and I would be buying purely because I want some new gear, what I really need (want) is a mirorless 7D MKII that can take that Sony 200-600mm as although the 100-500mm looks great IMO it's too expensive, too short and too slow.

Maybe I will take another when the airshows start up again, whenever that maybe.
I actually like the look of the Sony 200-600 lens, although it is at the maximum aperture of f6.3 from 300-600mm so that's a large part of the focal range.

The RF 100-500 is slightly different:

f4.5 - 100-151mm
f5 - 151 - 254mm
f5.6 - 254 - 363mm
f6.3 - 363 - 472mm
f7.1 - 472 - 500mm

So you only get the f7.1 for the last 28mm of the focal range.

I understand your points about the R5, it took me weeks, possibly a couple of months, to get all the customisations setup how I wanted and to make the AF and EYE AF as efficient as possible.

Don't get me started on eye AF.

On a completely different subject, I'm seeing image degradation (albeit very slight) and lower AF performance with protective filters on both my 85mm and 70-200.
This is a surprise and I will be doing more work to see if I'm just imagining it.

On a completely different subject, I'm seeing image degradation (albeit very slight) and lower AF performance with protective filters on both my 85mm and 70-200.
This is a surprise and I will be doing more work to see if I'm just imagining it.
There was a Canon filter/protector on the 100-400mm MKII they sent me, that came straight off .. I have never had a good experience with any type of filter.

I actually like the look of the Sony 200-600 lens, although it is at the maximum aperture of f6.3 from 300-600mm so that's a large part of the focal range.

The RF 100-500 is slightly different:

f4.5 - 100-151mm
f5 - 151 - 254mm
f5.6 - 254 - 363mm
f6.3 - 363 - 472mm
f7.1 - 472 - 500mm

So you only get the f7.1 for the last 28mm of the focal range.

Totally agree but I would be shooting 99.9% at the longest range, I do with both my Sigma 150-600mm sport and my 150-450mm on the Pentax.

I would honestly buy a 600mm f/6.3 prime if I could, f/11 is perhaps stretching it a bit in the UK though :)

Canon have already released non L 600mm and 800mm lenses.

I think you would definitely be blown away by an R6, but trying one yourself will be the acid test.

I have no idea how well your 70-300 would work. All of my L lenses have been fine on my R5. I only have the 50mm non L and confess I haven’t tried that yet.

By the way, I believe you can ask the Mods to change your username. [emoji4]
Thanks. I've bitten the bullet and ordered myself a test drive for this weekend. I could only get my hands on an EF-R adapter with the Variable ND Filter but hopefully that still does the job at least for trying out my 70-300mm. Learning about the test drive in this thread was a game changer as otherwise I would have to wait until 12th April to have a look at one and I'm not sure anywhere nearby would have one.

There was a Canon filter/protector on the 100-400mm MKII they sent me, that came straight off .. I have never had a good experience with any type of filter.

Totally agree but I would be shooting 99.9% at the longest range, I do with both my Sigma 150-600mm sport and my 150-450mm on the Pentax.

I would honestly buy a 600mm f/6.3 prime if I could, f/11 is perhaps stretching it a bit in the UK though :)
I've never used filters in the past but now I have the Canon Protect Filter on all my RF lenses, this does nothing to image quality (according to Canon and my basic tests).
I know the front element shouldn't damage easily but after investing in 5 RF lenses I wanted a bit of extra peace of mind.
Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 11.39.26.png

Totally agree about the f11 lenses, I think there would be such a limited opportunity for using them - in bright sunshine - otherwise I think I'd struggle with it.
Maybe at some point I'll buy a second hand big white prime. :)

I also find the filters causing flare if I fail to use the hood.
Just to clarify, I am using genuine Canon protect filters.

I've never used filters in the past but now I have the Canon Protect Filter on all my RF lenses, this does nothing to image quality (according to Canon and my basic tests).
I know the front element shouldn't damage easily but after investing in 5 RF lenses I wanted a bit of extra peace of mind.
View attachment 312098

Totally agree about the f11 lenses, I think there would be such a limited opportunity for using them - in bright sunshine - otherwise I think I'd struggle with it.
Maybe at some point I'll buy a second hand big white prime. :)
I too wanted to protect the front elements of what are heavy investments but I'm not convinced about the "have no effect" on image quality.

I'
I too wanted to protect the front elements of what are heavy investments but I'm not convinced about the "have no effect" on image quality.
I've pixel peeped with mine and can't see ny problems.
Maybe a good idea would be to setup the camera on a tripod, take a shot, remove the filter and take the exact same shot, see if there are any visible differences.
Maybe I'll try it this week.

I'

I've pixel peeped with mine and can't see ny problems.
Maybe a good idea would be to setup the camera on a tripod, take a shot, remove the filter and take the exact same shot, see if there are any visible differences.
Maybe I'll try it this week.
Well, to a certain extent I have been taking the exact same shot with and without filters to try and assess if it's just my imagination.
My initial feelings are still, There is a loss of contrast and AF is not as precise.
And as I said earlier, without a lens hood the filters cause flare with side lighting. I'm guessing I see this as the front element on the 85 1.2 sits back in the barrel whereas the filter is way up front.

Back