Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Thanks @RedRobin , i'll have a look at those suggested. Like you touched upon i don't need it on all the time because the body will either be gripped or slimmed down to the minimum. Only using the L bracket for the odd trek up a hill :)

.... I find that Canon's EOS-R Battery Grip makes a big difference to physical handling when a telephoto/supertelephoto lens is mounted. The grip also helps physical operation of the slightly awkward-on-the-slant AF-ON button which I use for Back Button Focus.

I'd have been happier if he'd said that it's the best mirrorless camera if you want to use Canon lenses or it's the best choice if you value a fully articulated screen or even if he'd said it's the best of the recent crop.

Maybe I'm just in pedantic mode this morning but starting out with that bit about the cost irritated me as it's just blatantly not true. It isn't the cheapest FF mirrorless, it's more expensive than a couple of cameras that could well suit many people and uses and by quite a lot of money. I'll have another cup of tea...

.... Exactly my thoughts too, Alan. Although having said that, the EOS-R is the 'best' mirrorless Canon body for me personally and the EOS-RP would not be on my shopping list even if I didn't have a R.

Mr Rockwell is a controversial figure and as Keith @Cagey75 suggests, is worth reading but should be taken with a pinch of salt - There are worse 'reviewers' out there in cyberspace but also better ones. I like Bryan of The Digital Picture for well balanced and highly informative reviews which are fairly objective rather than OTT passionate.

Last edited:
I'd have been happier if he'd said that it's the best mirrorless camera if you want to use Canon lenses or it's the best choice if you value a fully articulated screen or even if he'd said it's the best of the recent crop.

Maybe I'm just in pedantic mode this morning but starting out with that bit about the cost irritated me as it's just blatantly not true. It isn't the cheapest FF mirrorless, it's more expensive than a couple of cameras that could well suit many people and uses and by quite a lot of money. I'll have another cup of tea...

It's KR though, he was controversial in his opinions long before TN or the Affro dude came along, I remember actually JPolin and KR were cutting at one another for a long time [mostly over RAW vs Jpeg] and when they eventually met IRL at one of the rare events [Sony I think] KR turned up to, they got along fine. Even took selfies together :D SO yeah, a lot of it is to stir sh*t or pull in views.

But! ... I'm still glad someone is giving the RP some positivity, because IMHO it looks a great camera. Not just for the money, but as a tool/device, for anyone who doesn't give a fiddler's about video. The only negative for me would be no IBIS, but you can always get that in the lenses where needed.

Last edited:
<snip>

Edit: as a side note, the cameras that have done most to change markets over time have had one major feature - low price. Canon have form here, going back to the ground breaking AE-1 and A1 SLRs in the 70's, the 300D and 350D in the early days of digital. It looks like Canon are playing the same game again now with the EOS-RP which will surely drop to $999/£999 pretty soon.

As I mentioned a couple of pages back, Canon has a history of breakthrough products going back some decades. They do it with radically lower price, which is just about the most 'disruptive innovation' open to established players.

Les Northrups are now predicting they will take this a whole lot further than the EOS-RP and as they head towards a $500 full-frame mirrorless camera. I would agree it's possible, if the sales volume is out there
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5TgN8jAAg

I have just watched a few reviews of the EOS R. I wonder how people are getting on with the new bar on the back? The lenses look huge but the adapters seem to be really good now that people have had a chance to use them. I am not sure about the 'missing' IBIS. I have it in my Oly and don't in my Canons.

I have just watched a few reviews of the EOS R. I wonder how people are getting on with the new bar on the back? The lenses look huge but the adapters seem to be really good now that people have had a chance to use them. I am not sure about the 'missing' IBIS. I have it in my Oly and don't in my Canons.

.... The bar at the back, Multi-function Touch Bar, is something which I kept hitting by mistake at first and so I disabled it completely. But after a couple of months I tried it out programmed for enlarging the image for central focus and now I am more used to it I am fairly happy with it.

I find the Control Ring Adapter very useful and have it programmed for ISO adjustment overriding Auto ISO when I want. It is sometimes awkward to reach when handheld but easy when my EOS-R is on a tripod on my EF 500mm F/4L II.

Lack of IBIS has never bothered me and I usually switch off lens IS when on a tripod or switch my L lenses to Mode-3 which only actions IS at the exact instant the shutter is fired.

There's not a full frame camera out there that can match Olympus for IBIS, nor Panasonic either [in fact the Pany G9 has the best on the market right now] - the smaller sensor has it's advantages ;) But lens OIS can be almost as good as the likes of Sony or Nikon's IBIS anyway. If you were planning on using mostly OIS lenses it won't matter too much.

Any good feedback for this camera? The reviews were horrible

Which one? there's 2 R cameras and yes, there's been many good reviews on both they just get drowned out by the vlogging community's whines about lack of video features.

Just wondering why you are searching for good feedback rather than just feedback. If the feedback isn't generally positive there isn't much point searching for positive ones. I am sure you'll eventually find some biased positive ones but is that really what you should be after?

I read it more like 'is it really as bad as some say' tbh. And I would say, no, it's not, because most negative reviews [as is all too common lately] are video-centric. If it's the RP that Baggins is referring to? It's clearly not aimed at the videographer and should never be slated for lack of anything video related. I'd be more wary of the negatives on this one. And I say that as someone who's never actually shot Canon, always had an eye on them but never actually bought in

Randomly select some 'reviews' for it, and I'll tell you what the cons they have for it are right now: Lack of dual focus in 4K, heavily cropped 4K, no 24fps in 1080p, poor battery life [more so for video] and no IBIS - why they would expect it when the more expensive R didn't have it? Much as I'd like to see it myself, I don't think no IBIS should be considered a con, nobody is docking the XT3 marks for lack of it.

Whereas a true photography review will have - only one card slot and maybe lack of joystick as the only real cons.

Last edited:

I've had an EOS R from release, and have posted several times about my experiences and uploaded quite a few photos to this thread taken with it. I've invested a lot of money, so I am never going to be completely impartial, but I have no complaints with the camera and its output for how I use it and what I photograph. Are there better full frame mirrorless cameras out there? Absolutely there are. However, the Canon ecosystem as a whole suited me better than anything else, and that's why I went this route rather than the alternatives. I have zero interest in video, so haven't even tried it on my EOS R. There are two areas that I would like to see improved in future generations of this camera. The first is button placement, and in particular the AF-ON button. Currently, I find it awkward to use and would like to see it moved a little more towards the centre line of the camera. Secondly, performance in AI Servo. I have zero complaints about the speed and accuracy in AF-S, but I don't fully trust it for accurate tracking of fast moving objects (in my case race cars) in AI Servo. However, thanks to being in the Canon ecosystem, I was able to pick up a mint 1D mkIV at a fantastic price from LCE which has completely negated that issue for me :naughty:

Cheers,

Simon.

I read it more like 'is it really as bad as some say' tbh. And I would say, no, it's not, because most negative reviews [as is all too common lately] are video-centric. If it's the RP that Baggins is referring to? It's clearly not aimed at the videographer and should never be slated for lack of anything video related. I'd be more wary of the negatives on this one. And I say that as someone who's never actually shot Canon, always had an eye on them but never actually bought in

Randomly select some 'reviews' for it, and I'll tell you what the cons they have for it are right now: Lack of dual focus in 4K, heavily cropped 4K, no 24fps in 1080p, poor battery life [more so for video] and no IBIS - why they would expect it when the more expensive R didn't have it? Much as I'd like to see it myself, I don't think no IBIS should be considered a con, nobody is docking the XT3 marks for lack of it.

Whereas a true photography review will have - only one card slot and maybe lack of joystick as the only real cons.

I don't agree with the sentiment it gets negative reviews because of bad video features. If that were the case the internet should exploding with awesome video features of new FF panasonic and yet its not.

All cameras have cons and those do get highlighted a lot more than pros. In case of R/P the cons seems to outweigh the pros.

A review is a review, no such thing as true photography review because you can take great picture with any camera from the last decade. You can pick up an A7 for £365 from the sales section of this forum and it'll take great pictures. When someone is spending money on something the idea is they want to get as good a deal as possible for their money. The R/P lacks in many areas so much so that its not even trying to competitive with others - AF-C features, FPS, sensor IQ, ergonomics, card slots, weather sealing, IBIS (or lack thereof) and list goes on.

that is not to mention it does not have pros especially for those invested in canon EF glass it provides great adapter support. It'd argue its the best one of the lot. Also offer great new RF glass albeit mostly expensive ones.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the sentiment it gets negative reviews because of bad video features. If that were the case the internet should exploding with awesome video features of new FF panasonic and yet its not.

All cameras have cons and those do get highlighted a lot more than pros. In case of R/P the cons seems to outweigh the pros.

A review is a review, no such thing as true photography review because you can take great picture with any camera from the last decade. You can pick up an A7 for £365 from the sales section of this forum and it'll take great pictures. When someone is spending money on something the idea is they want to get as good a deal as possible for their money. The R/P lacks in many areas so much so that its not even trying to competitive with others - AF-C features, FPS, sensor IQ, ergonomics, card slots, weather sealing, IBIS (or lack thereof) and list goes on.

that is not mention it does not have pros especially for those invested in canon EF glass it provides great adapter support. It'd argue its the best one of the lot. Also offer great new RF glass albeit mostly expensive ones.

Disagree all you like, but show me a negative review on it that doesn't complain about the video side, show me negative reviews that solely concentrate on it as a photography camera. Best of luck on that. The Panasonic FF bodies are not aimed at the same market, they are much ore expensive and they are indeed much more 'feature' packed - and every video I've seen on them has been very much video-centric also. I've already seen these reviewers moan about it not having a flip screen. Again, we don't see the same complaints when it comes to Fuji - no Ibis, no flip out screen ... ah, that's ok, Fuji are just great anyway :D they get a pass where Canon get hounded it seems.

As for ergonomics?? give me the body style of the RP over any Sony any day! Looks plenty comfortable enough to me, especially if you add the optional grip.

Also can we maybe go one page in a Canon thread without mentioning Sony? :p I mean, you can also pick up a lovely Olympus em10mkII and lens for less and it'll have amazing IBIS, and very good IQ. But this isn't an Olympus thread.

Anyone only into taking pictures looking at the RP can't but say it looks sweet value, and I have already seen plenty of positive reviews that I'm certain were not biased in anyway. They are out there, and I was certainly not only looking for positives. I am interested in the camera, so will watch any review on it regardless. This is how I know precisely what the moans and groans about it are.

Last edited:
Disagree all you like, but show me a negative review on it that doesn't complain about the video side, show me negative reviews that solely concentrate on it as a photography camera. Best of luck on that. The Panasonic FF bodies are not aimed at the same market, they are much ore expensive and they are indeed much more 'feature' packed - and every video I've seen on them has been very much video-centric also. I've already seen these reviewers moan about it not having a flip screen. Again, we don't see the same complaints when it comes to Fuji - no Ibis, no flip out screen ... ah, that's ok, Fuji are just great anyway :D they get a pass where Canon get hounded it seems.

As for ergonomics?? give me the body style of the RP over any Sony any day! Looks plenty comfortable enough to me, especially if you add the optional grip.

Also can we maybe go one page in a Canon thread without mentioning Sony? :p I mean, you can also pick up a lovely Olympus em10mkII and lens for less and it'll have amazing IBIS, and very good IQ. But this isn't an Olympus thread.

Anyone only into taking pictures looking at the RP can't but say it looks sweet value, and I have already seen plenty of positive reviews that I'm certain were not biased in anyway. They are out there, and I was certainly not only looking for positives. I am interested in the camera, so will watch any review on it regardless. This is how I know precisely what the moans and groans about it are.

Reviews will mention video side because it's part of the camera features. But that's not the only negatives is my point.

I only mentioned A7 as a cheap body that'll take good picture, feel free to replace with any other cheap FF body from last decade as I said in my previous post.

Sony has been called out for bad ergonomics and so Eos R. Two negatives don't make a positive and besides because Sony might be bad doesn't mean it's ok for canon to be bad.
Nikon has done well in this area.

If you have seen unbiased positive reviews then please do point him towards them. All good unbiased reviews will have both positives and negatives. Not just positives.

Reviews will mention video side because it's part of the camera features. But that's not the only negatives is my point.

I only mentioned A7 as a cheap body that'll take good picture, feel free to replace with any other cheap FF body from last decade as I said in my previous post.

Sony has been called out for bad ergonomics and so Eos R. Two negatives don't make a positive and besides because Sony might be bad doesn't mean it's ok for canon to be bad.

If you have seen unbiased positive reviews then please do point him towards them. All good unbiased reviews will have both positives and negatives. Not just positives.
Well said

I've had an EOS R from release, and have posted several times about my experiences and uploaded quite a few photos to this thread taken with it. I've invested a lot of money, so I am never going to be completely impartial, but I have no complaints with the camera and its output for how I use it and what I photograph. Are there better full frame mirrorless cameras out there? Absolutely there are. However, the Canon ecosystem as a whole suited me better than anything else, and that's why I went this route rather than the alternatives. I have zero interest in video, so haven't even tried it on my EOS R. There are two areas that I would like to see improved in future generations of this camera. The first is button placement, and in particular the AF-ON button. Currently, I find it awkward to use and would like to see it moved a little more towards the centre line of the camera. Secondly, performance in AI Servo. I have zero complaints about the speed and accuracy in AF-S, but I don't fully trust it for accurate tracking of fast moving objects (in my case race cars) in AI Servo. However, thanks to being in the Canon ecosystem, I was able to pick up a mint 1D mkIV at a fantastic price from LCE which has completely negated that issue for me

.... HEAR! HEAR!! That's exactly what I feel about the EOS-R - Personally it suits me very well indeed within my Canon EOS system but there is no such thing as the perfect camera. I just shoot the best I can with what I've got and enjoy doing so.

Well said

How exactly jonney? Because to me he added absolutely nowt. Just backing up a fellow cult member huh? The church of Sonyology o_O:sony:o_Oo_O:ROFLMAO:

They don't just mention video features, 90% of the review sees many of them moaning about no 24fps in 1080. The funniest part of that is the camera does 25fps, they are literally crying about 1fps difference that I don't see anyone outside the most hardcore video buffs noticing - and well, shouldn't they already have better for video purposes? That shouldn't be even deemed a review, where video is the first and foremost feature.

Sony are well known for terrible ergonomics, when have Canon ever been? I've not seen anyone moan about the ergos of either R bodies besides some deciding it's too short and their pinky feels lost [Sony also have this issue with add on grips optional] - there is the optional grip for that for an extra £80 or so, still keeping the overall package [plus adapter] pretty cheap for a brand new FF. They look fine in that regard to me, they both have decent grip, nicely sized, more comfy than any Fuji body outside the gfx or xh1 . . .

If I posted reviews I'd get accused of only looking for positive ones specifically. He has Google I'm sure, he managed to find this place. I was only letting him know they are out there, why would you only go with the few negative ones you've seen? [which I bet are more video based] I'm not here to defend Canon but can't help speak up on misinformation. Go look for yourself if you're interested enough, I somehow doubt it though.

Last edited:
.... HEAR! HEAR!! That's exactly what I feel about the EOS-R - Personally it suits me very well indeed within my Canon EOS system but there is no such thing as the perfect camera. I just shoot the best I can with what I've got and enjoy doing so.

This is more like well said, and what robin quoted even more so, actual owners of the cameras who are happy, worth more than 10000 untrustworthy YouTube vlogger reviews.

How exactly jonney? Because to me he added absolutely nowt. Just backing up a fellow cult member huh? The church of Sonyology o_O:sony:o_Oo_O

They don't just mention video features, 90% of the review is moaning about no 24fps in 1080 in some cases. That shouldn't be even deemed a review.

Sony are terrible for ergonomics, when have Canon ever been? I've not seen anyone moan about the ergos of either R bodies. They look fine in that regard to me, they both have decent grip, nicely sized, more comfy than any Fuji body outside the gfx or xh1 . . .

Me posting reviews would then come across as me only looking for positive ones specifically, he has Google I'm sure, he managed to find this place. I was only letting him know they are out there, I'm not here to defend canon but can't help speak up on misinformation Go look for yourself if you're interested enough, I somehow doubt it though. I think you and jonney only post in here to spread the Sony plague and have zero intent on ever buying an R.

If you even remotely know me you will know I have plenty of issues with Sony (go look on Sony thread). I am far from a sony cult member. I also shoot more than just Sony, I would make for a terrible cult member lol.

you can go read on dpreview for example who will tell you R didn't get the ergonomics quite right.
I am trying to talk about EOS R/P here on its own merits (or lack thereof) and you are the one that keeps dragging it back to Sony. Why does it matter how good or bad sony is? Is sony some kind of a bar to measure by?

What have said that is misinformation?

I indeed have zero intent on buying the R because I don't feel I am getting my hard earned money's worth with it.

This is more like well said, and what robin quoted even more so, actual owners of the cameras who are happy, worth more than 10000 untrustworthy YouTube vlogger reviews.

So subjective biased reviews according to you are worth 10000 more than unbiased objective reviews?

Last edited:
If you even remotely know me you will know I have plenty of issues with Sony (go look on Sony thread). I am far from a sony cult member. I also shoot more than just Sony, I would make for a terrible cult member lol.

you can go read on dpreview for example who will tell you R didn't get the ergonomics quite right.
I am trying to talk about EOS R/P here on its own merits (or lack thereof) and you are the one that keeps dragging it back to Sony. Why does it matter how good or bad sony is? Is sony some kind of a bar to measure by?

What have said that is misinformation?

I indeed have zero intent on buying the R because I don't feel I am getting my hard earned money's worth with it.

So subjective biased reviews according to you are worth 10000 more than unbiased objective reviews?

The misinformation of bad reviews, again based on video specs, is what I thought I clearly meant, not misinfo from you - just to clarify. Also yes, very much so, I'd take the word of those who have used it for more than the length of recording a review, also knowing they are photographers who don't care too much about video, same as myself. If you prefer to go by the throngs of vlog-reviewers instead, go for it. Jut remember, us photographers are having to pay extra for all the video specific extras these video guys are pleading for too.

I didn't drag anything to Sony, that's more than a bit rich! :D it is you mentioned them, it's up there in B&W. Nice try to spin that one, so I'll ask you what you should have asked yourself: "Why does it matter how good or bad Sony is?" ... very good question, so why did you bring up some A7 going used in classified? But to finish the comparisons - why is it on every other YT vid in the comments there's a bunch of "A7II is much better" trolls? It's not, it's older tech, doesn't have the fantastic touch screen, doesn't have Canon's near legendary dual pixel AF system, won't adapt EF lenses as effectively, doesn't have continuous eye AF, it's no faster in terms of burst mode and has a smaller buffer, has worse ergonomics as we mentioned and a messier menu system. Sure, it's got IBIS, that is about the only reason to chose it above an RP

If you have zero interest in the R series it seems a little odd to continue to enter the very specific thread dedicated to these models. I haven't so much as peeped into a Nikon thread in ages because I have no intent on buying another one any time soon. I'd certainly feel like I was trolling if I kept popping into say the Z thread to inform them how much better I think the RP looks for value!

Last edited:
The misinformation of bad reviews, again based on video specs, is what I thought I clearly meant, not misinfo from you - just to clarify. Also yes, very much so, I'd take the word of those who have used it for more than the length of recording a review, also knowing they are photographers who don't care too much about video, same as myself. If you prefer to go by the throngs of vlog-reviewers instead, go for it. Jut remember, us photographers are having to pay extra for all the video specific extras these video guys are pleading for too.

I didn't drag anything to Sony, that's more than a bit rich! :D it is you mentioned them, it's up there in B&W. Nice try to spin that one, so I'll ask you what you should have asked yourself: "Why does it matter how good or bad Sony is?" ... very good question, so why did you bring up some A7 going used in classified?

If you have zero interest in the R series it seems a little odd to continue to enter the very specific thread dedicated to these models. I haven't so much as peeped into a Nikon thread in ages because I have no intent on buying another one any time soon. I'd certainly feel like I was trolling if I kept popping into say the Z thread to inform them how much better I think the RP looks for value!

Sure but I don't think places like dpreview for example are giving misinformation. I don't care for video features. I shoot small clips every so often and most cameras can do that these days. So its a non-issue for me.
Things that do matter for me - sensor, AF, FPS, ergonomics. There are those that care about IBIS, I am not too fussed about that either.

As I said used Sony A7 as an example of a cheap body but can be replaced with another cheap FF body (inc. canon bodies like 6D, 5D3 etc) from last decade. It being sony has nothing do it anything. No spinning :)

I said I have zero intent on buying the R (or RP for that matter). I am quite interested in R series in general. In fact I have always been in interested in canon because of their glass. I have always maintained they make the best glass. As far as innovation in optics go, canon and nikon are ahead IMO. They already have 2 lenses on the R series I really like the look of the 35mm f1.8 and 70-200mm/2.8.

Sure but I don't think places like dpreview for example are giving misinformation. I don't care for video features. I shoot small clips every so often and most cameras can do that these days. So its a non-issue for me.
Things that do matter for me - sensor, AF, FPS, ergonomics. There are those that care about IBIS, I am not too fussed about that either.

As I said used Sony A7 as an example of a cheap body but can be replaced with another cheap FF body (inc. canon bodies like 6D, 5D3 etc) from last decade. It being sony has nothing do it anything. No spinning :)

I said I have zero intent on buying the R (or RP for that matter). I am quite interested in R series in general. In fact I have always been in interested in canon because of their glass. I have always maintained they make the best glass. As far as innovation in optics go, canon and nikon are ahead IMO. They already have 2 lenses on the R series I really like the look of the 35mm f1.8 and 70-200mm/2.8.

I haven't found DPR to be all that reliable for a long time tbh. And I've been a member there as long as I've been on here. They seem to dish out 80-90% scores at random, readers are often confused by their scoring or what they pick and choose to be 'Gold' or silver between gear on the same score. Look at their cons for the R - Ibis! is that a con for the XT3? [keep mentioning that as it's possibly the most hailed APSC body in a long time] - a number of cons related to video, questionable ergonomics?? I mean, this is very subjective, in their video reviews now we see Chris Nicholls moan about almost every camera because he has little girl hands and finds nothing comfortable! :D if they are talking more so about how buttons are placed ergonomically, then it's merely a matter of getting used to, as you would have to switching to any other camera body. As for the slow 5fps burst, this is what the A7II had! but with a worse buffer, the RP can keep going until you run out of space apparently. If you remove all cons for the video and ergo side, then it should surely have scored higher.

I am completely non bias here btw I don't think for a second the RP is a perfect camera for photo. I'm eyeing all kinds of possibles as I fancy a change ... maybe. The RP looks ideal for my needs and budget. It's lacking some features that would prefer it to have like IBIS, but then the other camera I have an eye on - the XT3, doesn't have this either. The XH1 is also in the frame ... but on the RP: I ask more so, what is it missing for me? and besides that ibis, not much. I would have liked the grip to be included in the package, I'd like to see a much better battery used, and better DR and ISO performance for a FF sensor - though from what I have seen neither are near as bad as some would have us believe

Last edited:
I haven't found DPR to be all that reliable for a long time tbh. And I've been a member there as long as I've been on here. They seem to dish out 80-90% scores at random, readers are often confused by their scoring or what they pick and choose to be 'Gold' or silver between gear on the same score. Look at their cons for the R - Ibis! is that a con for the XT3? [keep mentioning that as it's possibly the most hailed APSC body in a long time] - a number of cons related to video, questionable ergonomics?? I mean, this is very subjective, in their video reviews now we see Chris Nicholls moan about almost every camera because he has little girl hands and finds nothing comfortable! :D

I don't really watch Chris and Jordan (not sure what they really bring). Its supposedly some feedback on "real world" experience but I would question how reliable that is for someone who'll probably only use that camera for a day or two.

I don't pay attention to DPR scores tbh. But their studio scenes, AF tests, sensor performance etc are reliable. They back up most of their claims in this regard.
They do have the tendency to focus on some non-issues and make a big deal out of it.

In all honesty I'd love to try out everything for myself before deciding what to do. But i don't have the resources, funds or the time to do that. So I have to rely on specs and such reviews that are relatively unbiased (I don't believe we'll ever find a fully unbiased review)

Last edited:
In all honesty I'd love to try out everything for myself before deciding what to do. But i don't have the resources, funds or the time to do that. So I have to rely on specs and such reviews that are relatively unbiased (I don't believe we'll ever find a fully unbiased review)

This is why I watch so many reviews, there isn't a decent camera store anywhere within 1.5hrs from me and it involves buses and taxis and a fair amount of walking in between. I very occasionally head to Dublin City and will pop into camera stores and have a play with some new gear. I bought my G80 there last time, just over a year ago, the deal they had on was so good it was worth the trek to get some hands on before committing. It was the first time I got to hold and use a camera body before buying in a long time.

I watch good, bad, indifferent reviews, over time you get a good feel for who's over the top, who likes a good moan, who's a bit of a shill and more importantly who you can rely upon - I have knocked many off my list over the years, ones I just can't trust any more. But the RP case is different to anything before it because I think it's getting way over the top slating for all the wrong reasons. People tell me I'm wrong when I say it, but I'll stick to my guns on this one - Cameras, even pro spec models, are now being reviewed and judged bases as much, if not more on their video features as anything else. 'Photographers' are now mostly referred to as 'Stills shooters', something I had never heard tell of until very recently, feels like we're the minority now so we just have to play along nicely with the video crowd or we may end up losing more focus on photo functionality.

Last edited:
But the RP case is different to anything before it because I think it' getting way over the top slated for all the wrong reasons.

So far I don't feel canon has really done much for non-canon people tbh. The RP is nicely priced but most of the R lenses are expensive. I wouldn't really buy an R series body to put and adapter on it and use cheaper EF lenses. If you already have them then that's another matter and feels like that's who these bodies are targeted at.

for anyone to move the new system needs to not just match their existing system but offer more.

I didn't feel the same way as a whole for the Canon EOS system. While there lenses where good. Everything else was out of date and there stubbornness and greed persuaded me to ditch them and glad I did.

EOS R is such a let down. They could have done better.

I don't really watch Chris and Jordan (not sure what they really bring). Its supposedly some feedback on "real world" experience but I would question how reliable that is for someone who'll probably only use that camera for a day or two.

I don't pay attention to DPR scores tbh. But their studio scenes, AF tests, sensor performance etc are reliable. They back up most of their claims in this regard.
They do have the tendency to focus on some non-issues and make a big deal out of it.

Spot on well said.

Can't buy and try every Damm camera that comes out..

So far I don't feel canon has really done much for non-canon people tbh. The RP is nicely priced but most of the R lenses are expensive. I wouldn't really buy an R series body to put and adapter on it and use cheaper EF lenses. If you already have them then that's another matter and feels like that's who these bodies are targeted at.

for anyone to move the new system needs to not just match their existing system but offer more.

You may not, but you're not exactly a budget shooter are you? The attraction for non Canon users is the cheap EF primes to pair with a FFML body that will act as if native to it.

You may not, but you're not exactly a budget shooter are you? The attraction for non Canon users is the cheap EF primes to pair with a FFML body that will act as if native to it.
That's assuming the consumer is already in bed with canon. Else there are equally priced ff bodies with better features or other options out there in general

That's assuming the consumer is already in bed with canon. Else there are equally priced ff bodies with better features or other options out there in general

Take me as an example of someone who might buy it: I have zero Canon gear, never owned any in fact. But I'm looking at the likes of the EF 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and the 24 2.8 with OIS - all very nicely priced and still great lenses despite there being better more modern ones available now. Also that RF 35mm 1:2 f/1.8 macro looks pretty sweet. There's also an RF kit zoom that will be very cheap. Sure there's other options, but what if I just want to try Canon for a change? This is a nice budget friendly way to do it.

Last edited:
Take me as an example of someone who might buy it: I have zero Canon gear, never owned any in fact. But I'm looking at the likes of the EF 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and the 24 2.8 with OIS - all very nicely priced and still great lenses despite there being better more modern ones available now. Also that RF 35mm 1:2 f/1.8 macro looks pretty sweet. There's also an RF kit zoom that will be very cheap. Sure there's other options, but what if I just want to try Canon for a change? This is a nice budget friendly way to do it.
Yea sure it seems ok for you. What do you use now atm?

Yea sure it seems ok for you. What do you use now atm?

Using Panasonic M43 atm, plenty good enough for my current use but have been considering a move back to either Fuji or FF, the RP caught my attention because of the price tbh - and I can't see any real major faults with it for photography only.

Now here's a question that I haven't seen answered within reviews, from a debate I had tonight

If go forward and purchase an R, it's likely that I will only have one R mount kit lens, the rest will be FE lenses....

Friend said, first that reviews were rubbishing the converter gave poor results, when I said I've not seen reviews rubbish the converters as he'd mentioned, then said he'd talked to a lot of photographers who'd brought and now sold their Canon R's, due to using the mounts with FE lenses...

He said, they said that the Mount was like using a extention tube for macro photography, that it not only adjusted your focal length, but also knocked out the focusing of the lens, leaving the focus soft etc..

Now, can those that used their R's with the mounts, say is there any difference apart from losing the RE native ring adjustment, is there any impact on the focus length or focusing abilities of the FE lens

Now here's a question that I haven't seen answered within reviews, from a debate I had tonight

If go forward and purchase an R, it's likely that I will only have one R mount kit lens, the rest will be FE lenses....

Friend said, first that reviews were rubbishing the converter gave poor results, when I said I've not seen reviews rubbish the converters as he'd mentioned, then said he'd talked to a lot of photographers who'd brought and now sold their Canon R's, due to using the mounts with FE lenses...

He said, they said that the Mount was like using a extention tube for macro photography, that it not only adjusted your focal length, but also knocked out the focusing of the lens, leaving the focus soft etc..

Now, can those that used their R's with the mounts, say is there any difference apart from losing the RE native ring adjustment, is there any impact on the focus length or focusing abilities of the FE lens

I'm afraid your friend is talking out his rear end and clearly doesn't understand flange distance. The adapters for these mirrorless camera do not in any way act like macro tubes, they merely bridge the cap left by lack of a dslr mirror for lenses designed for mirrored camera bodies. I feel he might well be lying about all these supposed people selling off their R already ... who buys an expensive camera without any research?

Last edited:
I'm afraid your friend is talking out his rear end and clearly doesn't understand flange distance. The adapters for these mirrorless camera do not in any way act like macro tubes, they merely bridge the cap left by lack of a dslr mirror for lenses designed for mirrored camera bodies. I feel he might well be lying about all these supposed people selling off their R already ... who buys an expensive camera without any research?

You've just made my day, this was the same comment I made, about bridging the gap to keep the rear of the FE lens the right distance from the sensor. But he reckoned not... But it's always the same though when he wants something to underpin a statement that this photographer he knows, said the same or this that and the other!

You've just made my day, this was the same comment I made, about bridging the gap to keep the rear of the FE lens the right distance from the sensor. But he reckoned not... But it's always the same though when he wants something to underpin a statement that this photographer he knows, said the same or this that and the other!
Is it the same friend who told you complete b****x about LED lights?
If so; your best bet is to not get involved in any conversations with him. He’s clearly a complete knob.

Not many people will buy into a new mount to adapt EF lenses unless they already have it.

Back